Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least this person did not make any foolish choices. The state they live in has had no covid at all for 10 months, and very little prior to that. They have the strictest Premier in all of Australia, who has shielded them very well.

This is just an unfortunate turn of events where the person had no idea they were infected and was living normal life. No blame to go anywhere in this situation. He wasn't to know that the hotel's ventilation was not adequate enough for the UK variant. No-one knew that. Now they know.

In Dr. Campbell's video yesterday, I thought he had said the person was in someone's room for 20 minutes? Was that another case or perhaps he was misinformed or ?

How do 20 million doses of vaccine go missing? so totally unacceptable -

This is how I start many conversations with friends in the last few days.. "How do 20 million doses just go missing" ? They just go silent....not a big one on others' minds.

Since I spend so much time on Websleuths, I guess I am waiting to hear something nefarious.

Eeep...first time we’ve been mandated to wear masks...that indicates to me that Mark McGowan is freaking out...
The two housemates have tested negative thus far but I’m sure they are expecting that they’re going to test positive in the near future.
The man went to a massive amount of places with high traffic so honestly expecting more cases. My friend lives in the main exposure area, I called him as soon as I heard and said he better bloody get tested...and on a family law page I’m on a lady is feeling ill, has visited several of the named exposure sites and has been ordered to test and isolate...however she has court orders that say she is to pick the kids up at 8.30 am tomorrow from her ex-who in the spirit of things(insert massive eye roll here) is refusing to continue caring for the kids...and family court is basically closed.
Kids also get an extra week of holiday though all parks are closed, even the dog park...which I spent far too long debating with miss 7 and mr 5 over whether it was a “park” or not :-)))

TLDR...Yep, Mark’s done it again!

??? TLDR ???

In Dr. Campbell's video yesterday, I thought he had said the person was in someone's room for 20 minutes? Was that another case or perhaps he was misinformed or ?

He was probably speaking of the Melbourne security guard who breached quarantine conditions.

They have not completed the genomic testing yet to determine the source of the infection in this case in Perth.
There is no word here about the Perth guard breaching quarantine conditions.

And this article suggests that non-secreter status also lessens likelihood COVID patients w/type A blood will have respiratory complications severe enough to require ventilation and decreases overall in-hospital COVID mortality rate:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/trf.16130

ETA excerpt: “Therefore, we next assessed the impact of the rs601338 G>A FUT2 variant, the main determinant of nonsecretor phenotype in Europeans, on the main study outcomes in the models reported in Table 1. Although the variant was not associated with development of severe COVID‐19 with respiratory failure (P  .62), it protected against the requirement of mechanical ventilation and ICU admission (adjusted OR, 0.57; 95% CI, 0.37‐0.87; P = .007). This was related to a specific interaction and protection in carriers of blood group A (P = .035). Although there was no significant association with the risk of thrombotic events (stroke, myocardial infarction, and venous thromboembolism), remarkably the nonsecretor phenotype was associated with lower in‐hospital mortality”

Thanks for bringing this topic back up. I thought there would be more information about blood type by now. I am pretty sure 10Rods had some good analysis on this earlier... hopefully she will pipe in!!!

what are the hospital and death rates in Florida? Not cases....

Florida is experiencing a leveling, positivity is down over last couple of days.
People are holding their breath with the Super Bowl and Valentine's Day coming up.
But as always, we do have the warmer weather that can keep us outdoors rather than indoors.

For the first time since early October, Florida has shown meaningful improvement in the struggle against the coronavirus pandemic. The trend, a real sign of hope, mirrors what has happened in most of the United States.

The more problematic data is the number of cases from the variant UK strain. THAT is what we have to be watching.

In Florida, a drop in coronavirus cases, hospitalizations

A leading infectious disease expert predicted on Sunday that the deadlier British variant of Covid-19 will become the dominant strain of the virus in the US and could hit the country like a hurricane.

Epidemiologist Michael Osterholm ...... warned America to brace for the spread of the virulent strain this spring.

“The surge that is likely to occur with this new variant from England is going to happen in the next six to 14 weeks, Osterholm told NBC’s Meet the Press show on Sunday morning.

‘That hurricane is coming’: expert warns US to brace for virulent Covid strain

Osterholm is the loudest voice on this. It seems other of the main Medical voices that we hear all the time, are not as vocal regarding the severity and the hurricane coming.

God, I hope he is "wronger" on this one!

But it is right in my back yard--FL has such a high number of the UK strain...

This reminds me of the antibiotic resistant bacteria problem. (Exposure after exposure to treatment, they mutate and drift as to their genetic code when challenged with treatment or over time)

Article is about the variants of the SARS2 virus within the timeline of one long hauler and it's repercussions.

Dangerous new coronavirus strains may incubate in COVID-19's sickest

Last edited:
Breaking:

The COVID Tracking Project @COVID19Tracking
·1m
Some important news about CTP: After a year of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting COVID-19 data for the United States—and months of preparation for what we’re about to announce—we’re ending our data compilation work on March 7.

https://covidtracking.com/analysis-updates/covid-tracking-project-end-march-7

"Every day for almost a year, hundreds of COVID Tracking Project contributors from all walks of life have compiled, published, and interpreted vitally important COVID-19 data as a service to their fellow Americans. On March 7, the one-year anniversary of our founding, we will release our final daily update and our data compilation will stop. Documentation, analysis, and archival work will continue for another two months, and we will bring the project to a close in May.

The seeds of this choice have been with us from the beginning. From its inception, this project was both unlikely and unprecedented: No one expected a volunteer pop-up collective to publish and interpret public health data for the United States for the first year of a global pandemic. We began the work out of necessity and planned to do it for a couple of weeks at most, always in the expectation that the federal public health establishment would make our work obsolete. Every few months through the course of the project, we asked ourselves whether it was possible to wind down. Instead, we saw the federal government continue to publish patchy and often ill-defined data while our world-famous public health agencies remained sidelined and underfunded, their leadership seemingly inert.

That we were able to carry the data through a full year is a testament to the generosity of the foundations and firms that gave us the resources we needed, to the counsel of our advisory board, to The Atlantic’s support for our highly unusual organization, and above all to the devotion of our contributors. But the work itself—compiling, cleaning, standardizing, and making sense of COVID-19 data from 56 individual states and territories—is properly the work of federal public health agencies. Not only because these efforts are a governmental responsibility—which they are—but because federal teams have access to far more comprehensive data than we do, and can mandate compliance with at least some standards and requirements......................"

Much more at link

I cringe that Johns Hopkins has lost some of their originals, and if that goes away... I'm just not sure of my disappointed feelings to express.

This doesn't take about secreters, but it's a recent article about blood type and Covid:
Studies contradict earlier findings on blood group and COVID-19 severity, mortality

Studies contradict earlier findings on blood group and COVID-19 severity, mortality

"...two studies presented at the virtual ASH Annual Meeting and Exposition showed no significant association between blood group and COVID-19 severity.

“We found that ABO blood group and Rhesus factor were not associated with disease mortality, disease severity or use of mechanical ventilation,” Aula Ramo, MD, a resident in the department of internal medicine at Henry Ford Hospital, said in an interview with Healio. “We also looked at predictors of mortality in part of our study, and found that age over 65 years, Caucasian race and male gender were statistically significant predictors of mortality.”

"In another study presented at ASH, researchers at Rush University Medical Center sought to determine whether patients with COVID-19 and certain blood groups had a greater risk for thrombosis or higher rates of mortality." .......This study was limited by a small sample size.

More at link.

they keep telling us that non-caucasians are more susceptible.... maybe it is more exposed not more susceptible....

Breaking:

·1m
Some important news about CTP: After a year of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting COVID-19 data for the United States—and months of preparation for what we’re about to announce—we’re ending our data compilation work on March 7.

"Every day for almost a year, hundreds of COVID Tracking Project contributors from all walks of life have compiled, published, and interpreted vitally important COVID-19 data as a service to their fellow Americans. On March 7, the one-year anniversary of our founding, we will release our final daily update and our data compilation will stop. Documentation, analysis, and archival work will continue for another two months, and we will bring the project to a close in May.

The seeds of this choice have been with us from the beginning. From its inception, this project was both unlikely and unprecedented: No one expected a volunteer pop-up collective to publish and interpret public health data for the United States for the first year of a global pandemic. We began the work out of necessity and planned to do it for a couple of weeks at most, always in the expectation that the federal public health establishment would make our work obsolete. Every few months through the course of the project, we asked ourselves whether it was possible to wind down. Instead, we saw the federal government continue to publish patchy and often ill-defined data while our world-famous public health agencies remained sidelined and underfunded, their leadership seemingly inert.

That we were able to carry the data through a full year is a testament to the generosity of the foundations and firms that gave us the resources we needed, to the counsel of our advisory board, to The Atlantic’s support for our highly unusual organization, and above all to the devotion of our contributors. But the work itself—compiling, cleaning, standardizing, and making sense of COVID-19 data from 56 individual states and territories—is properly the work of federal public health agencies. Not only because these efforts are a governmental responsibility—which they are—but because federal teams have access to far more comprehensive data than we do, and can mandate compliance with at least some standards and requirements......................"

Much more at link

I cringe that Johns Hopkins has lost some of their originals, and if that goes away... I'm just not sure of my disappointed feelings to express.

they believe that the federal govt will "step up to the plate" as the saying goes

Breaking:

·1m

Much more at link

What a fabulous job they have done. How lost you all would have been without them and their affiliates over the past year?!

As they said, their few weeks turned into a full year due to the poor job the federal govt were doing. That will change now, your confidence can be restored. It seems their confidence has been.

Massachusetts now has 5 cases of the UK COVID variant, CDC confirms
:confused:
In Massachusetts there are now five cases of the
COVID variant that first emerged in the United Kingdom and has spread to different parts of the world, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The Department of Public Health told the
Boston Globe that one case of the new strain was found in a male in his 20s from Hampshire County; a male in his teens from Worcester County; a female in her 20s from Suffolk County; a female in her 50s from Worcester County; and a male in his 20s from Worcester County. Three of the five cases involved travel, health officials said.
https://www.masslive.com/coronaviru...ses-of-the-uk-covid-variant-cdc-confirms.html

Just lately I have been thinking about what that expert said way back early in the piece ... "it is not a matter of will people wear masks, it is just a matter of how bad it has to get before everyone will wear a mask".

The same likely applies for the vaccines. When will people all realise they need to be vaccinated. That this pandemic needs to be stopped.

trust me, people want the vaccine- there is limited availability and some convoluted distribution systems

These 'vaccine hunters' are getting their shots ahead of schedule by gaming the system - CNN

there are other articles out today about a personal trainer who labeled herself "an educator" in order to get vaccinated. people are thinking about lying, stealing and cheating to get vaccinated. if you really believe that a vaccine is the difference between life and death, a transgression might seem like a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenabarlow