Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa numbers today and recent news: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 452 new confirmed cases for a total of 313,263 confirmed cases of which 274,743 (KWWL)-276,286 (IDPH are recovering (+639 at least). No more deaths were reported. 40 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 383 (-1). Jan. 25: 452 new cases, no additional deaths since yesterday
access
ICCSD says it cannot guarantee social distancing in 100% on-site learning
Test Iowa sites closing early due to winter storm
Limited COVID-19 vaccines available in Linn County for those 65 and older starting Tuesday
Veterans receiving vaccine at VA
Cedar Rapids airport begins COVID-19 screenings

Moderna is designing a new version of its COVID-19 shot to fight the variant first found in South Africa

• Moderna says its current coronavirus shot probably protects against two fast-spreading variants.

• But the shot showed lower levels of antibodies in lab testing against one of them.

• The company is now tailoring a version of its vaccine to that strain, first found in South Africa.

And here we go... as with the annual flu vaccine... changing the targets?

Best wishes to all of us... and hopefully there will be some companies who now pivot to changing, although it WILL perhaps??? (MOO) affect the current vaccine output???

Dunno.

But has been done with flu.. yet I've never even questioned "when" the pivoting for our annual vaccines for flu took place etc.

Ignorant here as usual, and learning with you all here.

Fauci: U.K. coronavirus variant leads to worse infections

Moderna making booster shot to fight Covid-19 variants

My dad had his 1st shot....What? Will he need 3 shots now?

"Hey dad, by the way......"

Moderna will develop a Covid-19 booster shot designed to be more effective against emerging strains of the coronavirus, the Massachusetts manufacturer announced Monday.

New strains of the coronavirus have emerged in the United Kingdom, South Africa and Brazil, along with concerns that they could make vaccines less effective, and be more transmissible or deadly.

Sigh....I need good news, this is very good.....

Less than one per cent catch Covid a week after second vaccine dose, Israeli study finds

New data from Maccabi Healthcare Services, one of the largest healthcare providers in Israel, shows that only 20 people out of ~128,600 have been infected with the COVID-19 virus, more than a week after receiving the second dose of the vaccine," the healthcare provider said in a statement on Monday night.

Around half of the 20 patients who did contract Covid had chronic symptoms, while the rest reported mild symptoms such as a cough, headaches and fatigue.

I’m afraid these new variants are going to cause a world of further trouble. I’ve been peeking around on my own and it’s not looking good, imo.

Prepare for the worst, double down.

JMO
Hi Margarita25, I've followed along here since the beginning and my ears perk up when certain posters write - you are one of those for me.
Understanding it is JMO could you expand on what your concerns are? Thanks.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/coronavirus/2021/01/24/deborah-
birx-donald-trump-covid-charts/115357782/

Dr. Birx is a piece of work-- she says lots of critical things now about Trump, but she never said boo when she had the stage and could challenge all of his misinformation.
IMO she won't be missed. It really is too bad she sullied her reputation and for what? now she is retiring and my guess would be that she did not plan to retire at this point, but she knows she has destroyed her reputation.
I could not agree more. I respected her and trusted her words. I can NOT believe that she stood by KNOWING that the charts that were being shown were not the ones she made and that the stats being shown were incorrect. That is reprehensible. I'm honestly shocked. We need the facts to be able to handle this. She could have been a hero, instead she's a zero.

It is Australia Day today, here in Oz. A big day for us. Celebrations of being Aussie, some demonstrations because we invaded the indigenous land and took it over ... but mostly a uniting of everybody.

Covid restrictions remain in place everywhere. Fortunately, we all can have gatherings - although the size of those gatherings varies from state to state, depending what covid-condition each state is in.

To think that we have made it through this past terrible year with keeping our covid deaths to a minimum (909) is a great reason to celebrate, while also remembering with compassion those Aussies we have lost.

Australia Day 2021: Your guide to what's happening in your state and what coronavirus restrictions are in place

:confused:
California discovers homegrown coronavirus strain that spreads even faster than any other
More at link
California scientists have discovered a homegrown coronavirus strain that appears to be propagating faster than any other variant on the loose in the Golden State.

Two independent research groups said they stumbled upon the new strain while looking for signs that a highly transmissible variant from the United Kingdom had established itself here. Instead, they found a new branch of the virus’ family tree — one whose sudden rise and distinctive mutations have made it a prime suspect in California’s vicious holiday surge.

Chances are this California strain is in neighboring states...what's in California rarely just stays in California...here in Arizona we're neck and neck with California and its a good bet this variant is part of the problem...well that and those who still refuse to social distance/mask.

Happy Australia Day :)

It is Australia Day today, here in Oz. A big day for us. Celebrations of being Aussie, some demonstrations because we invaded the indigenous land and took it over ... but mostly a uniting of everybody.

Covid restrictions remain in place everywhere. Fortunately, we all can have gatherings - although the size of those gatherings varies from state to state, depending what covid-condition each state is in.

To think that we have made it through this past terrible year with keeping our covid deaths to a minimum (909) is a great reason to celebrate, while also remembering with compassion those Aussies we have lost.

Australia Day 2021: Your guide to what's happening in your state and what coronavirus restrictions are in place

Sigh....I need good news, this is very good.....

Less than one per cent catch Covid a week after second vaccine dose, Israeli study finds

New data from Maccabi Healthcare Services, one of the largest healthcare providers in Israel, shows that only 20 people out of ~128,600 have been infected with the COVID-19 virus, more than a week after receiving the second dose of the vaccine," the healthcare provider said in a statement on Monday night.

Around half of the 20 patients who did contract Covid had chronic symptoms, while the rest reported mild symptoms such as a cough, headaches and fatigue.

That sounds good to me! Will get my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on February 3.

Happy Australia Day! You have plenty of reason to celebrate! Do you get fireworks?

I went into town today, 3 miles away( I know, but I am old) and only saw three Australian flags flying. I hope that we do not go down the road of flag wavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298