Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and that is fine, but do not try to lump a treatment in with a vaccine.
I’m not sure a mother is going to feel better if her baby is harmed by a vaccine she took during pregnancy vs if her baby is harmed by a medication she took during pregnancy. The bottom line is we truly don’t know what impact this vaccine will have on any of us long term. Pretending that isn’t true doesn’t make it so. Of course, we also have no idea what the long term impact of covid on an unborn baby is either.

I’m not sure a mother is going to feel better if her baby is harmed by a vaccine she took during pregnancy vs if her baby is harmed by a medication she took during pregnancy. The bottom line is we truly don’t know what impact this vaccine will have on any of us long term. Pretending that isn’t true doesn’t make it so. Of course, we also have no idea what the long term impact of covid on an unborn baby is either.

My DIL is 20 weeks pregnant and has decided to wait for her vaccination until after the baby is born. There are 8 physicians in the OB clinic she attends, halved evenly on whether or not their mothers to be should take the shot while still carrying. My son, her husband, had his 1st shot last week and she made it clear she will also vaccinate after the baby is born in early August. I am so pro vaccination but I see her concerns as well.

My DIL is 20 weeks pregnant and has decided to wait for her vaccination until after the baby is born. There are 8 physicians in the OB clinic she attends, halved evenly on whether or not their mothers to be should take the shot while still carrying. My son, her husband, had his 1st shot last week and she made it clear she will also vaccinate after the baby is born in early August. I am so pro vaccination but I see her concerns as well.

Yes it is a very difficult and personal decision and like you, I can see it both ways.

Two doses of the
AstraZenaca
vaccine did not show protection against mild-to-moderate COVID due to infection w/B.1.351 variant in South Africa.

Efficacy of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 Covid-19 Vaccine against the B.1.351 Variant | NEJM
March 16, 2021
comment: My opinion only- We can not win a race between variants and vaccines...the variants will win.

And that is why we have annual flu shots, due to drift and need to target new variants. We've been speaking the word "endemic" for over a year, and needing to get boosters. Especially with many folks who refuse any vaccines. I've read that most mfgs are working on such now.

Could it in the future be combined with the flu vaccines? Who knows... will take time and testing to determine such in the future.

It still does prevent hospitalization from the paper... which is #1 minimal target.

"There were no cases of hospitalization for severe Covid-19 observed in the study."

ETA: The article also used proxy serum studies to project... vs. the gold standard of double blind studies. As we know here, in vivo doesn't always equal in vitro.

Last edited:
Similar situation here w/ my dd having my first GBaby. She isn’t getting it. :DI’m trying to think what would a youngish pregnant me do ;) and biting my tongue ...a lot lol.

So I have been booked in for a vaccine in at the weekend and after seeing all the countries stop the Oxford jab I’m not sure I want the Oxford jab. I’m the in U.K. and early 30’s and I now want Pfizer but until I turn up at the doctors I won’t know what I’m being given.

The US has a long way before we are near herd immunity. Many states are still not proactive in steps to lower positivity rates. I believe that once the administration gets a majority of its residents immunized will it offer a large shipment of vaccines to other countries. I appreciate their strides that this administration is making in addressing the pandemic head-on.

AstraZeneca, Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines effective against variants, Oxford University study shows
Results indicated the Brazil and U.K. strains had a similar approximate three-fold reduction in neutralization power for the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines. The South African variant, by comparison, had a much greater impact, resulting in a 7.6-fold, and 9-fold reduction in Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccine neutralization power, respectively

"These data suggest that natural- and vaccine-induced antibodies can still neutralise these variants, but at lower levels," per the release.

AstraZeneca, Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines effective against variants, Oxford University study shows

U.S. to Send Millions of Vaccine Doses to Mexico and Canada
The United States plans to send millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to Mexico and Canada, the White House said Thursday, a notable step into vaccine diplomacy just as the Biden administration is quietly pressing Mexico to curb the stream of migrants coming to the border.
U.S. to Send Millions of Vaccine Doses to Mexico and Canada

A Swedish woman in her 60ies have died after having been vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine. After the vaccination she got flu symptoms and a severe headache. She received ICU care, but died of a brain haemorrhage, and low platelet levels.
Skånes universitetssjukhus anmäler dödsfall efter vaccination

Blood clots, and low platelet levels have been some of the suspected side effects of the vaccine that have led to deaths.
Norwegian Medicines Agency notified of blood clots and bleeding in younger people after vaccination with AstraZeneca vaccine

According to some Norwegian doctors, the reason to this is that antibodies attaches to the platelets, and activates them to create cloths. This is new information from today, and not yet verified by independent sources.
Norsk läkare: Astra Zenecas vaccin utlöste blodpropp

EU agency says AstraZeneca vaccine is 'safe and effective'
The EMA's expert committee on medicine safety, Mrs Cooke said, found that "the vaccine is not associated with an increase in the overall risk of... blood clots".

But the EMA, she added, could not rule out definitively a link between the vaccine and a "small number of cases of rare and unusual but very serious clotting disorders".
EU agency says AstraZeneca vaccine is 'safe and effective'

So I have been booked in for a vaccine in at the weekend and after seeing all the countries stop the Oxford jab I’m not sure I want the Oxford jab. I’m the in U.K. and early 30’s and I now want Pfizer but until I turn up at the doctors I won’t know what I’m being given.
Only two people in my family knew which vaccine before they arrived. And we were advised that it was unknown when or if other vaccines would come in. Others did not know until they went for the appointment. So it’s get what they have.

Covid: Paris lockdown as France fears 'third wave'
Under the new measures, non essential businesses will be forced to close but schools will remain open. People will be allowed to exercise outdoors within 10km (6 miles) of their home and are not allowed to travel to other parts of the country unless they have a valid reason.
Covid: Paris lockdown as France fears 'third wave'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members