Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question: I live in a suburb of Detroit- I have always been confident in Governor Whitmer and feel she has kept us safe: sure she has been over the top at times, but I believe she really cares about the citizens of our state: Then there is Governor DeSantis: I think he has acted irresponsibly and now Florida is wide open- lots of super spreader events- but here is my question: Why does Michigan have a 60 percent increase in cases while an open state like Florida does not?

I have a question: I live in a suburb of Detroit- I have always been confident in Governor Whitmer and feel she has kept us safe: sure she has been over the top at times, but I believe she really cares about the citizens of our state: Then there is Governor DeSantis: I think he has acted irresponsibly and now Florida is wide open- lots of super spreader events- but here is my question: Why does Michigan have a 60 percent increase in cases while an open state like Florida does not?

We have often wondered about the accuracy of Florida's reporting. But Florida has nice weather and many people are outside. Michigan has colder weather and many people need to go to inside locations that may have the virus.

The NY Times says FL is still experiencing high numbers, even if they are less than previous. They are still way more than MI, in every way.

At least 55 new coronavirus deaths and 4,599 new cases were reported in Florida on March 17.
As of Thursday evening, there have been at least 1,994,109 cases and 32,597 deaths in Florida since the beginning of the pandemic, according to a New York Times database.
Florida Coronavirus Map and Case Count

At least 35 new coronavirus deaths and 3,066 new cases were reported in Michigan on March 18.
As of Friday afternoon, there have been at least 687,368 cases and 16,847 deaths in Michigan since the beginning of the pandemic, according to a New York Times database.
Michigan Coronavirus Map and Case Count

We have often wondered about the accuracy of Florida's reporting. But Florida has nice weather and many people are outside. Michigan has colder weather and many people need to go to inside locations that may have the virus.

The NY Times says FL is still experiencing high numbers, even if they are less than previous. They are still way more than MI, in every way.

At least 55 new coronavirus deaths and 4,599 new cases were reported in Florida on March 17.
As of Thursday evening, there have been at least 1,994,109 cases and 32,597 deaths in Florida since the beginning of the pandemic, according to a New York Times database.

At least 35 new coronavirus deaths and 3,066 new cases were reported in Michigan on March 18.
As of Friday afternoon, there have been at least 687,368 cases and 16,847 deaths in Michigan since the beginning of the pandemic, according to a New York Times database.

The overall population of Michigan is less than half of Florida, so I would expect these numbers. Yes, Michigan has less cases and less deaths. They also have less people.

As for comparing geographical locations with similar weather and outdoor activity, I think we could compare Florida and California. But from what I recall, the numbers there aren’t hugely different overall for the most part despite one state behaving very, very differently in their approach to handling the pandemic.

Florida sees same COVID case rate as California, despite no statewide restrictions

Florida vs. California: Governors’ contrasting COVID policies spark debate in the U.S.

It is at least POSSIBLE we have done things that weren’t ultimately helpful or necessary during the last year. BUT (and this is the important part IMO), we have an obligation to do the best we can with the info we have at the time. And if it turns out that wasn’t the “right” thing to do, well, we did the best we could at the time. We also, IMO, have an obligation to consider we might change our approach as we learn more. And this isn’t a bad thing. It’s not about anyone not knowing what they’re doing.

Last edited:
RSBM Why does Michigan have a 60 percent increase in cases while an open state like Florida does not?

Perhaps due to you were one of lowest, and based on % growth due to new variant, you have a very significant % increase?

No doubt: Third surge of COVID has hit Michigan. Can we vaccinate fast enough? | Bridge Michigan

Michigan is amid a third substantial wave of coronavirus cases, spurred by the opening of schools, easing of business restrictions, increased travel and fatigue over the pandemic. The state reported 3,164 new cases on Wednesday — the most since Jan. 19 — and Michigan now has the fourth-highest rate of new cases in the nation. A little more than two weeks ago, on March 1, Michigan had one of the lowest rates in the country.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavir...most-b-1-1-7-coronavirus-cases-in-the-country
Michigan has the 2nd-most B.1.1.7 coronavirus cases in the country

Michigan State details plan to deal with COVID-19 variant found on campus

Illinois is opening up vaccines to college staff next week, then grocery store employees 16 and up, and then in April, everyone 16+!

We're moving along nicely in my area in Northwestern IL. Iowa is behind. My Iowa family who work in Illinois got vaccinated in Illinois because they don't qualify/can't find appointments over there. An Iowa friend almost made it to vaccine time only to end up with COVID. It's the sickest she's ever been in her life.

Michigan has the 2nd-most B.1.1.7 coronavirus cases in the country

Michigan State details plan to deal with COVID-19 variant found on campus

Yes, from what I am now reading, the NE and Michigan may be seeing high rates of B.1.1.7 at the moment.
And in another article I read that FL is bracing for Spring Break, every theme park in Orlando is fully booked. B.1.1.7 may do some travelling around during Spring Break. imo

Cases were rising in fifteen states and territories, according to a tracker run by Johns Hopkins University, with a worrying cluster in the northeast including New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Delaware.

Another serious spike was occurring in the midwestern state of Michigan where the average of new cases has more than doubled over the past month.

"Why the stall? Suspect B.1.1.7 is now starting to really have an effect," Ashish Jha, the dean of Brown University's School of Public Health wrote on Twitter.

B.1.1.7, better known as the UK variant, is both more transmissible and causes more severe disease.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-covid-cases-plateau-vaccinations.html
Florida reports 4,852 new COVID-19 cases as health officials ask public to be vigilant during spring break

The overall population of Michigan is less than half of Florida, so I would expect these numbers. Yes, Michigan has less cases and less deaths. They also have less people.

As for comparing geographical locations with similar weather and outdoor activity, I think we could compare Florida and California. But from what I recall, the numbers there aren’t hugely different overall for the most part despite one state behaving very, very differently in their approach to handling the pandemic.

Florida sees same COVID case rate as California, despite no statewide restrictions

Florida vs. California: Governors’ contrasting COVID policies spark debate in the U.S.

It is at least POSSIBLE we have done things that weren’t ultimately helpful or necessary during the last year. BUT (and this is the important part IMO), we have an obligation to do the best we can with the info we have at the time. And if it turns out that wasn’t the “right” thing to do, well, we did the best we could at the time. We also, IMO, have an obligation to consider we might change our approach as we learn more. And this isn’t a bad thing. It’s not about anyone not knowing what they’re doing.

In my worst moments, I have thought that the virus just rolls on and takes whomever it is destined to take- though we probably cannot completely discount what science we have that says that masks and distancing help. We do have no flu surges this year- I am also not sure exactly what happens when "things open up." I suspect that the majority of people who go out and socialize and do whatever are the younger healthier people, and the older and/or sicker or more at risk people still avoid contact. What they have told us is that when some of the population mixes freely, we get massive community spread and it becomes harder for the vulnerable to hide and isolate, no matter how careful they are. So what I am hypothesizing is that even in "open" FL, the more vulnerable are still in isolation and in Michigan maybe some of the less risk averse are still having parties, so despite the prevailing laws, people's activity levels are not that different in the different states. IMO- just a hypothesis, no data.

Yes, from what I am now reading, the NE and Michigan may be seeing high rates of B.1.1.7 at the moment.
And in another article I read that FL is bracing for Spring Break, every theme park in Orlando is fully booked. B.1.1.7 may do some travelling around during Spring Break. imo

Cases were rising in fifteen states and territories, according to a tracker run by Johns Hopkins University, with a worrying cluster in the northeast including New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Delaware.

Another serious spike was occurring in the midwestern state of Michigan where the average of new cases has more than doubled over the past month.

"Why the stall? Suspect B.1.1.7 is now starting to really have an effect," Ashish Jha, the dean of Brown University's School of Public Health wrote on Twitter.

B.1.1.7, better known as the UK variant, is both more transmissible and causes more severe disease.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-covid-cases-plateau-vaccinations.html
Florida reports 4,852 new COVID-19 cases as health officials ask public to be vigilant during spring break

Asking the public in Florida to be vigilant? is that a joke? they are acting like there is no pandemic- no one in Florida is listening---

I too think the weather helps them somewhat- more outdoor activities but still lots of young people in bars and restaurants- maskless of course and jammed together

Not sure if this has been posted. I got too addicted to this thread and realised it had been affecting me mentally so I've had a break.

After a year of lockdowns, we're back to a more 'normal' year — with 'waned' immunity

Experts say that because in 2020 we were not exposed to viruses and infections — other than COVID-19 — at the usual rate, many people have become so-called "naive" to them

This is most apparent in the recent "large resurgence" of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) — a virus that typically affects infants and young children.

RSV presents with flu-like symptoms, such as a runny nose, fever, cough and wheeze.

It is one of the most common reasons for children to be admitted to hospital , and in developing countries it is "quite a common" cause of infant mortality.

I happened to be taking pictures today of people for a PR project. It is funny, you can really tell people who are smiling behind their masks, and who is scowling.

I have also found it interesting about the masks people wear. What color they are, homemade or purchased. Who "dresses" up for holidays with their masks.

I wonder how long mask wearing will continue...

In my worst moments, I have thought that the virus just rolls on and takes whomever it is destined to take- though we probably cannot completely discount what science we have that says that masks and distancing help. We do have no flu surges this year- I am also not sure exactly what happens when "things open up." I suspect that the majority of people who go out and socialize and do whatever are the younger healthier people, and the older and/or sicker or more at risk people still avoid contact. What they have told us is that when some of the population mixes freely, we get massive community spread and it becomes harder for the vulnerable to hide and isolate, no matter how careful they are. So what I am hypothesizing is that even in "open" FL, the more vulnerable are still in isolation and in Michigan maybe some of the less risk averse are still having parties, so despite the prevailing laws, people's activity levels are not that different in the different states. IMO- just a hypothesis, no data.

From the American Journal of Public Health ...
The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications

Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest.

I happened to be taking pictures today of people for a PR project. It is funny, you can really tell people who are smiling behind their masks, and who is scowling.

I have also found it interesting about the masks people wear. What color they are, homemade or purchased. Who "dresses" up for holidays with their masks.

I wonder how long mask wearing will continue...

A long time for me personally where I live...

Idaho Falls, Rexburg have some of worst recent COVID outbreaks in country - East Idaho News

Idaho legislators going home until April 6 due to COVID-19 outbreak - East Idaho News

From the American Journal of Public Health ...
The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications

Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest.
So what does this mean? That measures taken by the government during the Covid pandemic may have caused a number of deaths that are not directly attributed to the virus?

so despite the prevailing laws, people's activity levels are not that different in the different states. IMO- just a hypothesis, no data.

I personally think you’re on to something with this line of thinking. IMO, much of the community spread we see is happening among those who gather in homes for dinner, birthday parties, sleepovers, etc. Then it spreads from there. And I suspect the level of personal interaction among folks in private isn’t all that different in California as it is in Florida.

Yes, I think it’s risky to go to dinner in a sit down indoor restaurant. But I also suspect in places where indoor dining has been closed for the better part of a year or more, do we really think people aren’t going over to people’s houses for dinner parties? In theory, that’s still somewhat safer due to sheer numbers, yes, but at the end of the day....

It seems as if current data suggests the basic numbers aren’t drastically different between states like California, Michigan, and Florida. But one would think they should be. It’s perplexing, and honestly a bit disheartening because it makes me feel like there’s not a whole lot we can actually do given the totality of circumstances.

That would be a significant twist on reality.
Of course there have been some deaths that occurred because of actions taken by the government. That doesn’t mean those actions weren’t necessary at the time.

Shutting down the economy meant financial devastation for many, some of whom committed suicide. Given the excess death numbers, it’s reasonable to conclude at least some of those would not have committed suicide if the economy hadn’t been shut down.

Domestic violence and child abuse has gone through the roof during the lockdowns. Had the government not shut things down, perhaps these rates wouldn’t have spiked so high. Does that mean the government did the wrong thing? No, I don’t think so. But it’s wholly unrealistic to think there weren’t deaths attributed to government restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annabella2320