Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #93

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stay diligent folks! Relating a story from another forum I am on:

I have some news of interest and I think this the best place for it. My cousin is a surgeon here in Virginia He got vaccinated in early Dec and 2nd shot end of Dec. He started to feel unwell Monday - he was diagnosed with Covid today!!! He has mild respiratory issues enough to have him on home oxygen. We are all hoping he does not get worse They sent out blood work to see what strain. He got the Pfizer vaccine.

The test came back as the South African variant.

If he needs oxygen, I wonder why they don’t have this surgeon on the antiviral Remdesevir and a steroid and respiratory therapy in the hospital like I had. Needing O2 was my “golden ticket” for a hospital bed in the Covid wing and this “presidential” treatment.

That’s pretty scary that the South African variant is now circulating.

ETA: Perhaps the South African variant doesn’t respond to monoclonal antibody treatment like this new strain in NY. :eek:

Two separate teams of researchers said this week they have found a worrying new coronavirus variant in New York City and elsewhere in the Northeast that carries mutations that help it evade the body's natural immune response -- as well as the effects of monoclonal antibody treatments.

New York's new coronavirus variant is worrying researchers - CNN

Last edited:
Researchers find worrying new coronavirus variant in New York City
More at link
CNN —

Two separate teams of researchers said this week they have found a worrying new coronavirus variant in New York City and elsewhere in the Northeast that carries mutations that help it evade the body's natural immune response — as well as the effects of monoclonal antibody treatments.

Genomics researchers have named the variant B.1.526. It appears in people affected in diverse neighborhoods of New York City, they said, and is "scattered in the Northeast."

New findings on 2 ways children become seriously ill from the coronavirus | Boston.com
more at link /haven’t read this yet

'It was just too much': Traumatized and tired, nurses are quitting due to the pandemic
much more at link
Almost a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, America's nurses — who for almost 20 years have been voted the country's most trusted professionals — are running on empty. They've reused PPE, canceled PTO and worked extended shifts for employers they don't always feel value their safety.

The stress and lack of support has driven many nurses to quit their jobs. And during the worst health crisis the U.S. has seen in more than a century, the health care system can't afford to lose them.

CNN spoke to three nurses from Florida, Oklahoma and Minnesota about why they quit their hospital jobs. It wasn't a decision any of them made lightly — they've been nurses their entire adult lives.

Question for others that are here.

At this time, state (most are I believe) is over 65 for vaccine. Soon will be to underlying high risk comorbid/ conditions folks under 65 in the next grouping or two before it hits under 65 in general.

I wonder what type of documentation will be required to get into that group? As "anyone" could walk up and say they have an underlying condition and lie (which is becoming common these days)

Has anyone seen any state standards coming up for such "next phase" as to how to prove you have underlying? My doc knows, but how would a pharmacist/drive through etc know?

I can't imagine having to get a dr. note... and I also can imagine millions lying about such when this group opens up.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Thoughts anyone? Has anyone read how they are going to handle/ensure... or will it again be honor system.

Report just came out today:
CDC study finds nursing home residents who appear to have recovered from Covid were reinfected with an even worse case

In fact one of the reinfected persons died.

Question for others that are here.

At this time, state (most are I believe) is over 65 for vaccine. Soon will be to underlying high risk comorbid/ conditions folks under 65 in the next grouping or two before it hits under 65 in general.

I wonder what type of documentation will be required to get into that group? As "anyone" could walk up and say they have an underlying condition and lie (which is becoming common these days)

Has anyone seen any state standards coming up for such "next phase" as to how to prove you have underlying? My doc knows, but how would a pharmacist/drive through etc know?

I can't imagine having to get a dr. note... and I also can imagine millions lying about such when this group opens up.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Thoughts anyone? Has anyone read how they are going to handle/ensure... or will it again be honor system.

"Some vaccination sites ask for proof of identity or eligibility."
"If you are eligible due to an underlying medical condition or comorbidity, you may need a note from your doctor or some other form of proof."

The COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Plan in Arizona
https://states.aarp.org/arizona/covid-19-vaccine-distribution

My own thoughts are that at this time when appointments are so hard to come by, and the eligibility criteria well defined, it would be wise to show up for the vaccination with proof of eligibility
Proof of employment for healthcare workers, letter from physician for underlying medical conditions, driver's license for age, etc

I was asked during my registration process under which category I qualified to receive the vaccine, and in the confirmation email, I was told what I needed to bring with me to the appointment

Last edited:
<RSBM>

That’s pretty scary that the South African variant is now circulating.

ETA: Perhaps the South African variant doesn’t respond to monoclonal antibody treatment like this new strain in NY. :eek:

Two separate teams of researchers said this week they have found a worrying new coronavirus variant in New York City and elsewhere in the Northeast that carries mutations that help it evade the body's natural immune response -- as well as the effects of monoclonal antibody treatments.

New York's new coronavirus variant is worrying researchers - CNN

This is exactly why we have to get the whole world vaccinated, as soon as we can. Especially those crowded and underdeveloped areas, who can protect themselves less (but are doing a great job, when considering that).

Mutant strains can continue to develop and come back to bite us.

When I saw 600,000 doses had just gone to Ghana (Africa) I thought "wow, my state got 800 doses". But then I thought about it and understood, we must get Africa vaccinated.

Until the world is free of the virus, none of us is free from it.

Last edited:
"Some vaccination sites ask for proof of identity or eligibility."
"If you are eligible due to an underlying medical condition or comorbidity, you may need a note from your doctor or some other form of proof."

The COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Plan in Arizona
https://states.aarp.org/arizona/covid-19-vaccine-distribution

My own thoughts are that at this time when appointments are so hard to come by, and the eligibility criteria well defined, it would be foolhardy to show up for the vaccination without proof of your eligibility
Proof of employment for healthcare workers, letter from physician for underlying medical conditions, driver's license for age, etc

I was asked during my registration process under which category I qualified to receive the vaccine, and in the confirmation email, I was told what I needed to bring with me to the appointment

I received my first vaccine in Ohio due to having a congenital condition. When I gave them my drivers license I was questioned about it due to my age being less than 65. The pharmacist just showed me the list of eligible conditions that could be vaccinated at this time and I had to say I had a condition listed . It is currently an honour system. Governor Dewine stated that they expected around 250,000 thousand people in this category and if there is
a large variance from that amount they may require documentation. I had my medical bracelet on, my laminated medical info card in my wallet and wore a v-neck top so I could show my open heart surgery scar if they needed.

US President Joe Biden has celebrated the 50 millionth dose of a COVID-19 vaccine being delivered since he took office.

One of Mr Biden's key campaign promises was to deliver 100 million shots in his first 100 days in office, and he said the country made it halfway there within 37 days.

Live: Global COVID-19 death toll climbs to 'more than 2.5 million'

One thing that we are noticing in Australia is that, with the UK variant, people can test positive very late in our 14 day hotel quarantine period.
The Victorian premier is just commenting on that (in a TV presser).
It has become noticeable.

Iowa numbers and news for Wed. Feb. 24 and Thurs. Feb. 25: Feb. 24: 725 new COVID-19 cases in Iowa, 15 more deaths, 1,657 more vaccine completions
Feb. 25: Over 150,000 Iowans now fully vaccinated, active cases drop below 17,000
652 new confirmed cases for a total of 334,758 confirmed cases of which 312,841 are recovering (+1,165). 23 more were reported to have passed for a total of 5,438. 44 were hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 227 (-6).
Iowa projects more groups eligible for vaccine by early March, launching call center and online resources
Iowans with some pre-existing conditions feel overlooked by vaccine plan

One thing that we are noticing in Australia is that, with the UK variant, people can test positive very late in our 14 day hotel quarantine period.
The Victorian premier is just commenting on that (in a TV presser).
It has become noticeable.

I couldn't put the direct quote of this ^^^ here earlier. But I can now.

He says the two new cases are close contacts of the Coburg cluster. They have been isolating in a quarantine hotel.

"It does speak to the fact this UK strain, you can very late in that 14-day period become positive. It also speaks to why it's so important to have that full 14-day iso period, even in the last few days, it can be very meaningful when it comes to ... positive test results."

Live: Victorians should be 'optimistic and confident' about state's coronavirus situation, Andrews says

(of course, 'iso' means isolation, in Aussie-speak)

For people with "long covid" -- also known as "long-haulers" -- I saw this interesting post on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1364609594056704002

Mara Gay
@MaraGay

This is both anecdotal and early, but many long covid survivors are feeling significantly better after receiving their first vaccine dose. Including me. Fascinating.

11:14 AM · Feb 24, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Many comments on her post.

I wonder if any WSers have had this experience?
That’s great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member