Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Alright, remember a while back we saw the trailer for “Songbird”? I said “thanks but no thanks, I’ll pass”. Well, I changed my mind, I’m going in. :D Snuggly w doggie under covers. Wish me luck.)

(Eta: omggg “covid-23, virus has mutated, 4th year of lockdown :eek:, I don’t know about this....too late, already paid $6)

(eta2: omggg I’m just a few minutes in - this movie is wild!>Chilling!)

so what is this mags........... a whole movie?????
I couldn't watch but 30 seconds...

"Cornell becomes the first private university to mandate Covid vaccinations for on campus this fall."
https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1378835038456922113

"Cornell University announced its fall 2021 return plans Friday, with an ambitious requirement that any students returning to Ithaca, Geneva and Cornell Tech campuses must have received the full doses of one of the various COVID-19 vaccinations....

The school is also establishing a 'COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination' tool for students, staff and faculty to notify the school once they have received the vaccine."

Cornell will require vaccinations for students returning to campus in fall; expects full in-person learning

So, if you live in Florida, and go to CORNELL, (corrected!!!).... and cannot get a vaccine passport or whatever.... no school???

Last edited:
Florida:
"...Nova Southeastern University [NSU], the largest private nonprofit in Florida, which announced it will return to full in-person learning but with this caveat – faculty and students must be vaccinated by Aug. 1, with some limited exemptions....NSUFlorida is the only institution currently requiring vaccines for students."

Rhode Island:
"Roger Williams College in Rhode Island also jumped on board Friday, requiring students to be vaccinated while also urging all faculty members to have their shots, as well. "

These 4 colleges will require vaccines for fall semester |

wow.... lets see what DeSantis will say about this...

I’m seeing all the articles and pictures in the media where the happy grandparent gets to hug their grandchild (no mask).....but the grandchild nor the parents are vaccinated?

I’ve got family members puzzled, some say that only those vaccinated can gather together.

Some protest that the older family members can visit unvaccinated households now since they are protected from getting Covid or at least a “bad” version of it requiring hospitalization.

My nephew says he needs a simple chart to figure it all out.

So, if you live in Florida, and go to Columbia.... and cannot get a vaccine passport or whatever.... no school???
It is a good question and I did see some articles yesterday about what different states are doing. Some states are relaxing state residency requirements so that students on campuses can get the vaccine while away from their home state.

The situation is likely to change quite a bit in the coming months - something to keep an eye on.

jmo

Last edited:
"We have to think about the B.1.1.7 variant as almost a brand new virus," said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. "It's acting differently from anything we've seen before, in terms of transmissibility, in terms of affecting young people, so we have to take this very seriously."

CNN : 'We have to think about the B.1.1.7 variant as almost a brand new virus,' one expert warns as new surge impacts the young.
US Coronavirus: There could be one big difference in another Covid-19 surge in the US: Who will be most affected - CNN

New COVID-19 variant in Mass. spikes after Cape Cod outbreaks | Boston.com
More at link
Of the 58 known positive cases of the P.1 variant in Mass., 50 have been identified in Barnstable County, according to the CDC.
Massachusetts has reported more cases of the new P.1 COVID-19 variant — which has been associated with increased transmissibility and possible re-infection — than anywhere else in the U.S., and local researchers said the spike is concerning.

The bulk of those cases, they added, are linked to a cluster on Cape Cod.

Of the 58 known positive cases of the P.1 variant in Mass., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 50 have been identified in Barnstable County.

omg...this is just unreal. Since the Brazil... you would think they would be able to get some tracking and tracing done on this.... Please please keep us updated. I could read the Boston.com article, but the "cluster on Cape Cod" is not available.

My nephew goes to UCLA - they also need to have the vaccine.

I like the idea of a contest for "better masks" - I'd like to see the outcome - when you see an article about it!

had to delete my next thought............

I think you mean Cornell, not Columbia? As far as I know, Columbia doesn't as of yet require the shot.

It is a good question and I did see some articles yesterday about what different states are doing. Some states are relaxing state residency requirements so that students on campuses can get the vaccine while away from their home state.

The situation is likely to change quite a bit in the coming months - something to keep an eye on.

jmo

I really do hope that is the case. I know we were a bit irked in Florida, when folks were flying in from around the world, and were able to get OUR vaccine.......... but when there is plenty of flow of the multiple vaccines.... I just hope one will be able to get it anywhere.

thanks also...corrected Columbia to Cornell...

Some states are relaxing state residency requirements so that students on campuses can get the vaccine while away from their home state.
snipped

Replying to myself:

Here is an example of different states currently taking different approaches to state residency requirements that affects college students.

"New Hampshire residents would be eligible for the vaccine when eligibility expands Friday to include anyone age 16 and over, and that out-of-state college students should return to their home states to get vaccinated.....

In Vermont, meanwhile, state officials are expected to expand eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine to out-of-state college students and second homeowners beginning April 30."

NH, Vt. Take Different Approaches to Vaccinating Out-of-State Students

snipped

Replying to myself:

Here is an example of different states currently taking different approaches to state residency requirements that affects college students.

"New Hampshire residents would be eligible for the vaccine when eligibility expands Friday to include anyone age 16 and over, and that out-of-state college students should return to their home states to get vaccinated.....

In Vermont, meanwhile, state officials are expected to expand eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine to out-of-state college students and second homeowners beginning April 30."

NH, Vt. Take Different Approaches to Vaccinating Out-of-State Students

We should keep an eye on that requirement for out of state students to travel back home to get vaccinated. I bet dollars to doughnuts that gets changed pronto.

Yeah, as in the fact that those pins and bracelets will get passed around freely. It's a pretty stupid way to manage vaccination requirements. jmo

Passing around pins and bracelets to circumvent the vaccination requirement came to mind immediately. Does that make me a cynic? Students smarter than administrators? :D

Ha ha Margs, same reaction here...seems a strange choice of drug to be handing out but ok...

I wondered how on earth they discovered that Luvox (former brand name of fluvoxemine) would be helpful with Covid. It seems so far-fetched. Here’s how:

In a new interview with 60 Minutes, Angela Reiersen, MD, a child psychiatrist at Washington University in St. Louis—and co-author of a November 2020 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) regarding the use of fluvoxamine in COVID-19 patients—explained that she first got the idea that the drug could potentially treat COVID-19 after seeing research that fluvoxamine prevented sepsis in mice.

"I thought, well, I wonder if we could use fluvoxamine to treat COVID and prevent that clinical deterioration," Dr. Reiersen told 60 Minutes.

<snip>

The results of that JAMA study found that participants with symptomatic COVID-19 who were treated with fluvoxamine "had a lower likelihood of clinical deterioriation" than those who were given a placebo. "The results were really pretty incredible," Dr. Lenze told Alfonsi. "Out of the 80 people who received fluvoxamine, none, zero of them deteriorated versus 8% of the people who got [the] placebo."
BBM

Research Says This Antidepressant Might Help Prevent COVID-19 Infections From Getting Worse

So, if you live in Florida, and go to CORNELL, (corrected!!!).... and cannot get a vaccine passport or whatever.... no school???

They will almost certainly have a boatload of exemptions, including religious objection, medical, maybe even philosophical.

I think the point is to encourage as many students as possible to get vaccinated, but a few things have to take place--first before they can require vaccination, the nation has to hit the point where there are enough vaccines for everyone. If there are too few, they'll call it discrimination.

Then we have fundamental groups of Muslims, Christians, and others who are diametrically opposed to vaccines as an extension of their faith. They will have to be exempted as well to keep from infringing on their 1st Amendment rights.

We also have philosophical objections that range from an inherent rejection of medical science to the idea that certain groups have been unfairly targeted by medical procedures in the past designed to harm them.

I would not be surprised to see discrimination lawsuits filed if the exemptions are not comprehensive. But, the problem is, if they exempt virtually everyone who doesn't want a shot -- how do they ensure a healthy learning environment?

New COVID-19 variant in Mass. spikes after Cape Cod outbreaks | Boston.com
More at link
Of the 58 known positive cases of the P.1 variant in Mass., 50 have been identified in Barnstable County, according to the CDC.
Massachusetts has reported more cases of the new P.1 COVID-19 variant — which has been associated with increased transmissibility and possible re-infection — than anywhere else in the U.S., and local researchers said the spike is concerning.

The bulk of those cases, they added, are linked to a cluster on Cape Cod.

Of the 58 known positive cases of the P.1 variant in Mass., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 50 have been identified in Barnstable County.

OH NO.

(not surprised, just sayin.)

"We have to think about the B.1.1.7 variant as almost a brand new virus," said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. "It's acting differently from anything we've seen before, in terms of transmissibility, in terms of affecting young people, so we have to take this very seriously."

CNN : 'We have to think about the B.1.1.7 variant as almost a brand new virus,' one expert warns as new surge impacts the young.
US Coronavirus: There could be one big difference in another Covid-19 surge in the US: Who will be most affected - CNN

YEP.

(This freaking sucks!!!! :( )

I just don't understand the US at times. It is as if many don't want to get rid of the virus. They just want things to be 'normal' and if people keep keeling over and dying from the virus, and keep getting very, very sick, it is no big deal.

The US is still experiencing over 1,000 covid deaths every day. That is hugely significant.
In one day the US is still having more covid deaths than we have had during the entire pandemic. It has been absolutely ages since we have had a covid death.

I just can't get my head around the mentality.

‘Vaccine passport’ idea causes political uproar in the US

You know what I was just thinking about? It has occurred to me (again) that when people read back about this in history, this historic pandemic where thousands/millions of people got horrifically ill and died, they are going to read about how many so people selfishly endangered others, denied it, exacerbated it, mocked it...I am glad I will NOT be known as one of those people in history. It is unforgivable and I will never forget this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member