Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94

Last edited by a moderator:
Four months after the Food and Drug Administration authorized the first vaccines against COVID-19, the CDC has enough data to suggest the vaccines substantially reduce infections—and therefore reduce the possibility of a vaccinated person infecting others.

Yes, vaccines block most transmission of COVID-19

Last edited:
In America, adults are racing headlong into a post-vaccination summer while kids are being left in vaccine limbo.

The unvaccinated group will, of course, be disproportionately children. By dint of our vaccine order, COVID-19 will start looking like a disease of the young.

Adults who spent the past year worrying about their elderly parents are now worrying about their kids instead.

In coming months, parents may find themselves going back to normal while their kids still have to wear masks indoors.

We Are Turning COVID-19 Into a Young Person’s Disease

Hopefully soon.
I’m pretty sure people are trying to get their underage teens vaxed now even before they’re eligible.
They reaaallly wanted to see my teens ID (doesn’t have one) at vax appt. Even though theyre not supposed to do that.

Early Moderna COVID vaccine trials show doses 'are very safe and very efficacious'
More at link
After months of clinical trials examining how Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine affects children 12 to 15 years old, Dr. Robert Finberg of UMass Medical School in Worcester anticipates emergency authorization for the population within weeks.

UMass Medical School researchers began enrolling adolescents ages 12 through 17 in February. The trials were expected to enroll 3,000 adolescents at up to 15 sites nationwide.

They are now fully enrolled and researchers are waiting for the data to return.

“So far the clinical trials have been very successful,” Finberg said. “I think we’re confident that they will continue to be. These vaccines look like they are very safe and very efficacious.”

Last November, Moderna announced its vaccine offered a 95% efficacy rate during its phase three clinical trials, with 100% effectiveness at preventing hospitalizations as a result of the virus.

Preliminary data from the trials at UMass Medical School suggest that the vaccine could be even more effective with fewer side effects for children 12 to 15 years old. Emergency authorization by the United States’ Food and Drug Administration could be just weeks away, Finberg said.

“So far, at least, both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine, appear to be equally effective in young people,” Finberg said. “If anything, they have fewer adverse events. There have been no big differences. We don’t expect that there will be problems with young people. If anything, they’ll do better.”

Finberg said generally speaking it’s common for young people’s immune systems to respond better to vaccines. The COVID-19 vaccines appear to be no different according to early clinical trials.

Due to the success of the trials, Finberg expects emergency authorization soon.

“It should be weeks. Everybody thinks we can get this done before the fall,” Finberg said. “That would be the goal.”

Finberg said the goal would be to immunize children ages 12 to 15 before school resumes in the fall. Children ages 3 to 11 could potentially receive the vaccine after that.

In America, adults are racing headlong into a post-vaccination summer while kids are being left in vaccine limbo.

The unvaccinated group will, of course, be disproportionately children. By dint of our vaccine order, COVID-19 will start looking like a disease of the young.

Adults who spent the past year worrying about their elderly parents are now worrying about their kids instead.

In coming months, parents may find themselves going back to normal while their kids still have to wear masks indoors.

We Are Turning COVID-19 Into a Young Person’s Disease
Mr Pirate and I were just talking about this. We went out to eat and I looked at the number of young people around us in the restaurant/bar, which was crowded and commented that I worried for them. No way would I have been where we were if not fully vaccinated. They are now eligible in MI for a vaccine but that was very recent. Interesting, the 20 something bar keepers both had Covid months back and were fully vaccinated when MI did a push to get restaurant workers vaccinated.

:mad::mad::mad:
Police: Rhode Island man assaulted Walmart worker over mask request | Boston.com
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Police in Rhode Island say a man assaulted a 16-year-old Walmart worker after refusing to put a mask on his young child.

Authorities say the altercation occurred at a Walmart in North Smithfield after the teenage employee informed the man that store policy required his toddler to wear a mask. The man refused, and then the teen went to notify a manager, the man put him in a choke hold and punched him.

shortages of restaurant /service employees
Busy Summer Expected, But Employees Are Hard To Come By

As vaccination rates increase and life begins to return to some form of normalcy, local businesses are preparing for the summer surge with a minimal workforce.

“There isn’t a restaurant without a Help Wanted sign,” said Joseph M. O’Connor, co-owner of Holly Ridge Golf Club in Sandwich.

As a small business owner, Mr. O’Connor has struggled with finding both golf and waitstaff to keep operations afloat.

“During the pandemic, staff issues were unbelievable, and it remains that way,” he said. Despite a reported unemployment rate of 9.5 percent in Barnstable County as of February, the struggle to fill positions remains.

Some business owners are linking the limited employee pool to extended unemployment and COVID-19 relief packages.

A 'sense of panic' over lack of local workers for service industry
Visitors are already arriving in the Black Hills well ahead of the traditional Memorial Day weekend start of tourist season.

Typically that’s good news, but this year hotels and restaurants in the region are experiencing a dire shortage of employees.

“I’ve been talking to my staff for a month now about how it’s going to come to a critical mass in the next few weeks. … There’s a sense of panic,” said Domico Rodriguez, executive director of Main Street Square. “We’ll get through it no matter what. We’re Midwesterners. We’ll grind until we can’t grind any more, but it’s going to be a rough summer.”

“We could have a record year in the Black Hills for visitors, and it’s starting earlier,” he said.

VIDEO: Rapid City restaurants experience staff shortages

Chris Johnson is a founding partner in a management company, Hotelzrus, that formed a year ago. Johnson describes staffing at local hotels as “a nightmare.” The company oversees Rapid City’s Cambria Inn Suites and MainStay Suites, both of which are currently operating with 50% of the amount of staff they want, Johnson said.

So much has been made of the reactions after a second dose of Moderna or Phizer that I think people are gambling that they'll be protected without the second shot. I was in Aldi a couple of weeks ago and the checker was saying she was getting her second shot that day. The lady ahead of me in line said her first shot made her pretty sick, and she'd heard the second one would be worse, so she wasn't going to get it.

I didn't have even a mild reaction to the J&J shot, and I'm glad they're rolling it out again.

Last edited:
In reading comments on this article, the vast majority of people are giving examples of how their second doses didn't seem to get registered. I've never seen such an overwhelming response, so I believe we have bad data. I. Sure it's happening to a degree, bit I'm not sure it's a widespread problem.

It's been my experience from working at vaccine clinics locally (N. ON), that very few people, in fact almost no one, misses their second dose appointments. About 3-4 people per hundred miss their first shot, for whatever reasons, but we easily fill those spots before the clinic closes for the day.

I wonder if some of the missed second shots in the article are because people actually found a second dose elsewhere.

It's been my experience from working at vaccine clinics locally (N. ON), that very few people, in fact almost no one, misses their second dose appointments. About 3-4 people per hundred miss their first shot, for whatever reasons, but we easily fill those spots before the clinic closes for the day.

I wonder if some of the missed second shots in the article are because people actually found a second dose elsewhere.
I think that's exactly what is happening. People are getting them where it's more convenient.

So good to see countries rallying to help India.

China, France, Pakistan, Australia, Russia, the US, the UK, Singapore, and the EU have also offered their assistance.

It is not only watching the horror that is happening in India, it is also an understanding that with a massive population like the one in India, it is only a matter of time before we are all affected by their covid explosion.

India has just had its 3rd day in a row of the biggest covid numbers ever (new cases), anywhere in the world.
I hope countries can send in oxygen tanks, PPEs, and medicines to assist in the treatment of covid patients.

Airline bans Alaska state senator for violating mask rules — ABC News

“Alaska Airlines has banned an Alaska state senator for refusing to follow mask requirements.

“We have notified Senator Lora Reinbold that she is not permitted to fly with us for her continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy,” spokesman Tim Thompson told the Anchorage Daily News on Saturday, adding that the suspension was effective immediately

Last week, Reinbold was recorded in Juneau International Airport arguing with Alaska Airlines staff about mask policies. A video posted to social media appears to show airline staff telling Reinbold her mask must cover her nose and mouth.

Reinbold told the newspaper that had been inquiring about a “mask exemption with uptight employees at the counter."

Reinbold has been a vocal opponent to COVID-19 mitigation measures and has repeatedly objected to Alaska Airlines’ mask policy, which was enacted before the federal government's mandate this year.

Last year, she referred to Alaska Airlines staff as “mask bullies” after being asked by flight attendants to wear a mask aboard a flight, the newspaper reported.

It wasn't immediately known how Reinbold, who was in southcentral Alaska this weekend, would be able to get to Juneau where the legislative session resumes Monday. No other airline has scheduled flights between Anchorage and Juneau, and a ferry trip could take several days.”

I hope countries can send in oxygen tanks, PPEs, and medicines to assist in the treatment of covid patients.

Help is starting. Countries are scrambling to find out what they can send to India, and relief deliveries have started in some cases.

UK ..... 495 oxygen concentrators - which can extract oxygen from the air when hospital oxygen systems have run out - as well as 120 non-invasive ventilators and 20 manual ventilators.

US .... raw materials for vaccines to Indian vaccine manufacturers, medical equipment and protective gear.

France ..... providing oxygen.

European Commission .... oxygen and medicine too.

Pakistan ... ventilators, Bi PAP, digital X ray machines, PPEs, and related items, and a fleet of 50 ambulances.

Saudi Arabia ... 80 metric tons of liquid oxygen.

Germany ... 23 mobile oxygen regeneration plants.

Singapore ... 4 cryogenic oxygen tanks.

Canada ... standing ready with PPE and ventilators and 'any items that might be useful'.

China .. still determining need, ready to supply support.

Australia ... still determining need, and is in a bloc with Japan and the US to provide a billion doses of the Covid-19 vaccine across Asia.

Covid: Countries send aid to ease India's oxygen emergency
As COVID-19 cases explode in India, Canada ready to help with medical supplies: Anand
The world is starting to grasp the true toll of India’s Covid-19 crisis

There needs to be better messaging-- obviously too many people fail to
understand you need two shots to be fully. protected
I don't know, it's really not that complicated a message and has been widely promoted to anyone who can watch TV.

What the pandemic has revealed to me is, some adults are similar to children, they just don't hear things they don't want to hear. But if it's something they want to hear, they're all ears.

I don't know, it's really not that complicated a message and has been widely promoted to anyone who can watch TV.

What the pandemic has revealed to me is, some adults are similar to children, they just don't hear things they don't want to hear. But if it's something they want to hear, they're all ears.

you make a good point!!!

I’m not sure where to ask this question:

Have any WebSleuthers passed away from Covid?
I ask because I went to look for someone whom I had had many conversations with since joining, and I cannot seem to find them.

if my question isn’t in the right place, please move it to the appropriate section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow