Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to share this article about Patrik Sjöberg, a former world record holder in high jumping in the 1980ies. He had been hospitalised with pneumonia, and in a respirator for two weeks, and he posted high regards for the hospital staff helping him. His words on Instagram decrying those who deny covid and/or the vaccinations are more than a bit colourful.
Patrik Sjöberg visar upp skrämmande bilder från sjukuset

Patrik Sjöberg - Wikipedia

FRONTLINE: The Virus That Shook The World, Parts 1 & 2

I don’t know if anyone else got a chance to see the first three hours of this show on 4/26. The final hour is supposed to air 4/27. Schedules may differ. We’re not in San Diego, but the article about the series at this link is very good. It’s well worth watching if you can stand to get sad and mad again.

Our Southern Oregon PBS showed “Fauci: The virus hunter” right afterward, which was very interesting.
Watched it. Very sad.

The COVID variant running rampant in India right now, B. 1.617 strain seems to be capable of causing more severe disease in younger adults, teens, and pediatric patients.

This portents great problems for many countries with large populations of younger people and poor general healthcare systems. These would include many southeast Asian, middle East, and African countries.

Do we have any idea which current vaccines are showing effectiveness against the B1.617 strain?

FRONTLINE: The Virus That Shook The World, Parts 1 & 2

I don’t know if anyone else got a chance to see the first three hours of this show on 4/26. The final hour is supposed to air 4/27. Schedules may differ. We’re not in San Diego, but the article about the series at this link is very good. It’s well worth watching if you can stand to get sad and mad again.

Our Southern Oregon PBS showed “Fauci: The virus hunter” right afterward, which was very interesting.

I totally missed that show. Was it more new information? Thanks for the heads up and perhaps is on my "On Demand" with cable carrier.

I totally missed that show. Was it more new information? Thanks for the heads up and perhaps is on my "On Demand" with cable carrier.
It was on PBS iir, and therefore should be on demand. I passed on it as I feel like I've already lived through it all. Plus I was watching baseball, which I love. That's just me trying to live in my normal world.

This isn't satire. I'm gobsmacked. Does anyone see a vaccine requirement here???

Brit Awards 2021: No masks, no social distancing and a 4,000-strong crowd - CNN

The UK's flagship music awards ceremony, the Brits, will go ahead with a 4,000-strong crowd, no social distancing and no masks next month, as part of a government trial that offers a peek at how large events can operate in a post-pandemic world.

The ceremony at London's O2 Arena will take place on May 11, with an audience made up of 2,500 frontline workers and another 1,500 corporate invitees.
Attendees will not have to distance from each other, but will be required to present a negative Covid-19 test taken before the event. They are also being asked to take tests after the show, to track any potential transmission between audience members.

The COVID variant running rampant in India right now, B. 1.617 strain seems to be capable of causing more severe disease in younger adults, teens, and pediatric patients.

This portents great problems for many countries with large populations of younger people and poor general healthcare systems. These would include many southeast Asian, middle East, and African countries.

Do we have any idea which current vaccines are showing effectiveness against the B1.617 strain?

We (Australia) have just paused all incoming flights from India until mid-May. We have 9,000 registered people in India who want to return to Australia.

They are saying that we don't know enough yet about the strain. Presumably that also means that they are not yet sure what effect different vaccines are having (or could have) on that strain.

When we do resume flights from India, all passengers are going to need to have a negative nasal swab AND a negative rapid antigen test before boarding their flights.
Also, if anyone changes flights along the way they have to negative test again before proceeding on the next flight.

I think this is because that even with our preboarding negative covid test requirement, we are still getting positive cases landing in Australia (too many of them).

India flight ban will cancel eight repatriations
Australia expected to ban flights from India, despite 9000 Aussies trying to get home

This isn't satire. I'm gobsmacked. Does anyone see a vaccine requirement here???

The UK's flagship music awards ceremony, the Brits, will go ahead with a 4,000-strong crowd, no social distancing and no masks next month, as part of a government trial that offers a peek at how large events can operate in a post-pandemic world.

The ceremony at London's O2 Arena will take place on May 11, with an audience made up of 2,500 frontline workers and another 1,500 corporate invitees.
Attendees will not have to distance from each other, but will be required to present a negative Covid-19 test taken before the event. They are also being asked to take tests after the show, to track any potential transmission between audience members.

Earlier this month, the event organisers had been negotiating with the govt about using their 'controversial vaccine passport scheme' to allow a live audience. I wonder what happened about that? Not finding any updates on that aspect of the negotiations.

BRIT Awards set to use vaccine passport scheme for live audience at 2021 show

Still over 470 families losing a loved one every day from covid. :(

A big improvement over past daily deaths, but still pretty horrific.

In two (current) days the US is still losing the amount of people that Australia has lost during the whole pandemic. It is the only way I can gauge the immensity of this horror ...

Is it some kind of public health experiment? Crazy.

‘This Is a Catastrophe.’ In India, Illness Is Everywhere.

India is now recording more infections per day — as many as 350,000 — than any other country has since the pandemic began, and that’s just the official number, which most experts think is a vast underestimation.

New Delhi, India’s sprawling capital of 20 million, is suffering a calamitous surge. A few days ago, the positivity rate hit a staggering 36 percent — meaning more than one out of three people tested were infected. A month ago, it was less than 3 percent.

It wasn’t so much information as experiences @dixiegirl1035. But I did learn new information about what the experience of the pandemic was like for individuals around the world. They each sat in front of a camera in a darkened room and spoke, and then it would cut away to video coverage of them during the pandemic…a food vendor in NYC, a doctor in London, a daughter losing her mother in Iceland, ballet dancers in Russia, and others in Italy, Brazil and more. It was very personal and emotional. We each have a story. Tonight it continued some of the previous stories and also dealt with how various religious groups have handled it…a church in Louisiana, a village of indigenous people in Brazil, etc.

As I watched the show last night it came to me that these 95 pandemic threads are an important and unique narrative record of how each one of us from around the world has personally experienced the pandemic in 2020 (and beyond). Our individual posts have created a kind of written history that I doubt has been duplicated anywhere. And the number of links to source material that have been posted and preserved is remarkable. A sociologist/historian/psychologist/virologist would have a mountain of research material here! We have preserved a history of an unprecedented worldwide event! Who knew?! And on we go.

Aaaaannnd here we go again in Oregon! My county (Jackson) is one of 15 designated as “extreme risk”(the second time for us)…and the rebels here will start talking about recalling the “Nazi” governor for the zillionth time. :mad:

Surge in COVID-19 hospitalizations triggers new restrictions across much of Oregon

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced Tuesday that she is designating 15 counties as “extreme risk” for COVID-19 spread, and imposing strict limits on restaurants, businesses, places of worship, and social gatherings. The restrictions are an attempt to curb a steep rise in cases and preserve hospital capacity statewide.

The new risk level designations will take effect Friday and last through at least May 6.

<snip>

Earlier this month, Brown said she would no longer designate counties as extreme risk until there was an indication hospital capacity could be overwhelmed, given the impact vaccination would have on blunting the worst outcomes of the pandemic. COVID-19 hospitalizations at that time were at roughly half the threshold Brown said would indicate a strain on capacity.

Now, just three weeks later, as more contagious strains of the coronavirus take root across the state, hospitalizations have exceeded that 300 mark.

The most common variant now circulating in the Pacific Northwest is B.1.1.7 — a strain first identified in the United Kingdom. It is now responsible for about 40 percent of cases in the region, the CDC estimates. It spreads much more easily between people than the variants that caused previous waves of infection in Oregon.

Scientists believe that the available vaccines provide strong protection against infection by the B.1.1.7 variant — but just 40 percent of Oregonians have received at least one dose of the vaccine so far, leaving many in the state vulnerable to a fourth wave of infection.
BBM

On a personal note, my husband and I will finally be able to get our first vaccinations on Monday, after waiting the requisite 90 days from receiving the monoclonal antibody infusion. Happy dancing! :)

India has now had a magnitude 6.2 earthquake! Boy oh boy, they are getting hammered.

A massive earthquake has hit Assam in India, battering the nation that has already been brought to its knees by the coronavirus disaster.
“This earthquake was the biggest I can remember, there was first a big jolt and then a smaller one,” a police official in the town told Reuters.
Massive 6.2 magnitude earthquake hits India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member