Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Vaccine to Rule Them All
What if a single vaccine could protect us against SARS, MERS, COVID-19, and every other coronavirus-related disease, forever and ever?

The pandemic is at its worst, globally, and expert eyes are trained on the role of new variants. Catastrophic surges are tearing across places where some thought the darkest days were already over. In India, where hospitals are running out of oxygen and COVID-19 cases are increasing exponentially, officials are concerned about a “double mutant” version of SARS-CoV-2 called B.1.167. In Brazil, where more than 2,500 people are dying every day, the government is urging people not to get pregnant for fear of variants like P.1. And such variants are giving rise to further variants, as mutations layer on mutations.

(...)

Rather than playing whack-a-mole with each new problematic variant,” Anthony Fauci told me last week, “it just makes sense to me to use all of our capabilities to really go for a universal SARS-CoV-2 vaccine.”

(...)

Dozens of research teams have already taken up the challenge, and meeting it is within their reach. But doing so would be just the beginning. “A universal SARS-CoV-2 vaccine is step one,” Fauci said. Step two would be a universal coronavirus vaccine, capable of protecting us not only from SARS-CoV-2 in all its forms, but also from the inevitable emergence of new and different coronaviruses that might cause future pandemics. The race to create such a vaccine may prove one of the great feats of a generation.

(...)

But the spike is slightly different in each variant. “The current vaccines are based on the genetic code of the original strain found in Wuhan,” Pamela Bjorkman, a bioengineering professor at Caltech, explains. This exact strain is no longer in circulation, so the vaccines are already slightly imperfect fits for the variants many of us may encounter. At this point, the changes to the spike protein are not so dramatic as to render first-generation vaccines ineffective, Bjorkman says, “but that won’t necessarily hold as the virus continues to mutate.”

The challenge, then, is to create a vaccine that will anticipate such changes—teaching the immune system to recognize and fight off variants that may not even exist yet.

(...)

"This virus is going to hang around for another couple of years before the world suppresses it, if we’re lucky,” Fauci told me. “I can’t guarantee that we’ll get a universal vaccine in place for this virus, but certainly we need it for the next one.”

(Lots more at link)

One Vaccine to Rule Them All

The CDC’s reign of error has done incalculable harm to America

I don't like the headline and I don't agree that the CDC has done incalculable harm to America. That said, I think the CDC has been a huge disappointment. Their messaging has been confusing right from the beginning and continues to be so. In defense of the CDC, this virus is so new and different, they put information as they knew it at the time. The worst initial message that was really poorly conveyed was about masking- that set the stage (in part) for what we are seeing with so many people rejecting the idea of masking. At the beginning of the pandemic it wasn't known that people could be asymptomatic carriers of the virus-- when that became known, the message was put forth that we need to wear masks. The other really poor messaging was that people should wear masks to protect others. What needed to be said was that masks protect the person wearing the mask and others since people primarily care about themselves above others (for the most part).

As far as social distancing, again the CDC put information that was known at the time.
I think the information now regarding masking and vaccinated people is confusing as well, as the guidelines continue to change. People need to use critical thinking skills to figure out what is the best way to manage the situation as the science regarding this evil virus continues to change based on new information.

:)Good post

yah I’ve posted my thoughts on the o_O cdc o_Oalready probably a few times

Also noticed a few articles referring to OSHA doing ....idk...something recently . Nice of you to join the party. Where were you last year. Any significant action on their part was slim to nonexistent during covid. -imo and ime.

FDA now says “y’all probably don’t want to be cleaning and reusing that one time use n95. Yah thanks. Should have been said about nine months ago. Most of us didn’t but some had no other options.
link posted a few pages back

The CDC’s reign of error has done incalculable harm to America

I don't like the headline and I don't agree that the CDC has done incalculable harm to America. That said, I think the CDC has been a huge disappointment. Their messaging has been confusing right from the beginning and continues to be so. In defense of the CDC, this virus is so new and different, they put information as they knew it at the time. The worst initial message that was really poorly conveyed was about masking- that set the stage (in part) for what we are seeing with so many people rejecting the idea of masking. At the beginning of the pandemic it wasn't known that people could be asymptomatic carriers of the virus-- when that became known, the message was put forth that we need to wear masks. The other really poor messaging was that people should wear masks to protect others. What needed to be said was that masks protect the person wearing the mask and others since people primarily care about themselves above others (for the most part).

As far as social distancing, again the CDC put information that was known at the time.
I think the information now regarding masking and vaccinated people is confusing as well, as the guidelines continue to change. People need to use critical thinking skills to figure out what is the best way to manage the situation as the science regarding this evil virus continues to change based on new information.

The global vaccine supply chain, already under extreme pressure, has been thrown into disarray by the COVID-19 crisis devastating India.

India is the world's biggest manufacturer of COVID-19 vaccines, and the Serum Institute of India had been earmarked to produce a third of the global supply of the AstraZeneca vaccine in 2021.

As India's healthcare system collapses under the second wave of infections, the Indian government has virtually halted vaccine exports, instead keeping supplies onshore to inoculate its own population.

"As India did that, the pipeline of vaccines dried up for COVAX," said Leena Menghaney from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) based in New Delhi.

India's second wave causing a global 'crisis' with vaccine supplies

My state released some figures that reveal where our overseas cases (quarantined travellers) are coming from.
Just putting the stats here as an example of how widespread the virus is, and how travel just spreads and spreads it.
If we didn't have such strict quarantine we could be badly in the grip of covid right now.

United Kingdom - 73 cases
India - 46 cases
Pakistan - 36 cases
United States - 31 cases
Unspecified Europe - <26 cases
Lebanon - 14 cases
Canada - 13 cases
Philippines - 12 cases
Turkey - 11 cases
Overseas (country not specified) - 11 cases
Italy - 11 cases
Afghanistan - 6 cases
France - 6 cases
Spain - 6 cases
Bosnia and Herzegovina - 5 cases
Ethiopia - 5 cases
Germany - 5 cases
Iraq - 5 cases
Saudi Arabia - 5 cases
Other countries with fewer than five cases - 110 cases

International flights into Adelaide to resume as COVID–19 case origins revealed

Colorado is seeing a rapid increase in COVID cases among children, health officials say
April 27, 2021

“DENVER — While the state’s overall case rates of COVID-19 have stabilized somewhat over the last month, Colorado is seeing a jump in cases among middle school and high school aged children, State Epidemiologist Dr. Rachel Herlihy said Tuesday.

Dr. Herlihy said the state is also seeing an upward trend in cases among children 3-10 years old, but cases among children 11-17 years old has shot up dramatically. Herlihy did not offer an explanation as to why those age groups are seeing an increase in cases.”

COVID-19 Variants Spreading in India Are a Global Concern

“Chanda, Gupta and others are also investigating whether another phenomenon might be at work driving the severe disease in India. It’s possible that people previously infected with SARS-CoV-2, but who did not have a severe case of COVID-19, might get even sicker if they are reinfected—a dynamic seen with some other disease-causing viruses, like dengue.

Researchers refer to this phenomenon—in which people are infected and only partially successful in fighting the virus so they continue to harbor the infection for months rather than days—as “suboptimal protection.” In one such patient, who was infected for about four months, Gupta documented the steady changes the virus made as it mutated to become better and better at evading any immune responses directed against it. “Some people can’t clear the virus—they get infected and they can’t get rid of it—so they have some immunity to the virus but the virus learns to live with their immune system, and makes mutations to adapt. And those same mutations adapt again when they infect someone else.””

India Blames a Virus Variant as Its Covid-19 Crisis Deepens

““The current wave of Covid has a different clinical behavior,” said Dr. Sujay Shad, a senior cardiac surgeon at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, where two of the doctors needed supplemental oxygen to recover. “It’s affecting young adults. It’s affecting families. It’s a new thing altogether. Two-month-old babies are getting infected.””

[...]

“India’s worries have focused on a homegrown variant called B.1.617. The public, the popular press and many doctors have concluded that it is responsible for the severity of the second wave.

Researchers outside of India say the limited data so far suggests instead that a better-known variant called B.1.1.7 may be a more considerable factor. That variant walloped Britain late last year, hit much of Europe and is now the most common source of new infection in the United States.

“While it’s almost certainly true B.1.617 is playing a role, it’s unclear how much it’s contributing directly to the surge and how that compares to other circulating variants, especially B.1.1.7,” said Kristian Andersen, a virologist at the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego.”

*more at link

Last edited:

“Struggling to keep up with Toronto's third wave, city paramedics say they're having to 'triage' cardiac arrest patients”

[...]

“What sticks out the most are the ages — and a lack of comorbidities — of those going into the back of his ambulance.”

“Waves one and two were elderly people,” he said.

“Now we’re averaging late 40s.”

[...]

“What irks him and his co-workers most are those who dismiss COVID as a bad flu.

“Influenza doesn’t make your O2 (oxygen) saturation drop below your age,” he said.

“We’re seeing patients with oxygen levels not seen without opioids in play, and neither Narcan nor oxygen are going to fix it.”

Emergency rooms and ICUs are full, he said — with many receiving care in the ER normally seen in intensive care.

“That’s what overcapacity means,” he said.

“It means that there’s people in emerge receiving ICU treatment — and that’s not the place for it.””

I got my second dose of Pfizer on Tuesday. Here is my report:
Apr 6 first Pfizer shot- sore arm beginning at hour 6 and completely gone at hour 12. No other symptoms. Injection wasn’t felt.
Apr 27 second dose- injection was given at an odd angle, hurt, bled quite a bit. Arm soreness began at hour 3. By 12 hours, fingers to medial shoulder blade ached. By 20 hours, fever, chills, headache, malaise and arm aches remained same. I’m now 48 hours out. Arm is fine. Fever, headache remain and nausea in passing.

NYC

'Light at end of the tunnel': New York mayor envisions full reopening by July 1

"New York City aims to 'fully reopen' on July 1 after more than a year of closures and capacity restrictions, Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Thursday, citing satisfactory progress in its vaccination campaign."

"...6.4 million doses of vaccine have been administered in the city of more than 8 million residents.

While the mayor acknowledged the city needed to make more progress on vaccinations, he said more than 70% of New Yorkers have had at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine."

"De Blasio did not provide clear guidelines on whether those attending shows, dining indoors or frequenting gyms and salons would have to adhere to any specific requirements, such as presenting proof of vaccination."

In the antiscience world, IMO. I wonder what they are teaching the students.

From your link:
The school's CEO and co-founder Leila Centner sent a letter to faculty and staff at the Centner Academy citing unsupported assertions about Covid-19 vaccines that contradict a large body of evidence of the vaccines' safety and efficacy from the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health and the World Health Organization.

All four agencies, backed by extensive research, have confirmed that vaccines are the best method of defense against Covid-19 and contagious variants that can cause severe illness.

But the school is ignoring the advice and guidance from the state and federal governments, as well as the Miami-Dade Health Department, which all urge everyone 16 and older to be vaccinated.

I got my second dose of Pfizer on Tuesday. Here is my report:
Apr 6 first Pfizer shot- sore arm beginning at hour 6 and completely gone at hour 12. No other symptoms. Injection wasn’t felt.
Apr 27 second dose- injection was given at an odd angle, hurt, bled quite a bit. Arm soreness began at hour 3. By 12 hours, fingers to medial shoulder blade ached. By 20 hours, fever, chills, headache, malaise and arm aches remained same. I’m now 48 hours out. Arm is fine. Fever, headache remain and nausea in passing.

A study published this week in The Lancet, a medical journal, found 13.5 per cent of people reported side-effects after one dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and 22 per cent reported it after their second dose.

It found a larger number of people — 37.7 per cent — reported side-effects after getting their first dose of AstraZeneca.

Headache and fatigue were more common in women and all side-effects were more likely if people had previously been infected with COVID-19.

It also found people younger than 55 were more likely to have side-effects.

Dr. Joseph Blondeau, head of clinical microbiology at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon, says that may be because younger people have a more robust immune system that’s quicker to respond.

He adds that stronger side-effects among some people during their second dose is likely because a person’s body has already been primed by the first dose.

The vaccine hangover: Experts weigh in on why some people have side-effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member