Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the US government should take more restrictive measures.

US still hasn't ordered travel restrictions for India | Daily Mail Online

"The US government is finally set to enforce travel restrictions from India where medics say 30,000 people are dying every single day, bodies are piling up in the streets and three different types of its homegrown variant are ravaging the country.

The ban, which only applies to non-US citizens, won't come into effect until next Tuesday.

The announcement comes two days after the State Department issued a Level 4 travel advisory, which is the highest alert of its kind, urging all Americans to leave India if they can because of the current COVID-19 outbreak there.

The alert also advises Americans not to travel to India as the country experiences a catastrophic second wave that is, in part, fueled by a deadly Indian variant known as B.1.617. India saw its deadliest day yet, with more than 3,600 Covid fatalities, on Wednesday. More than 380,000 new infections were reported yesterday.

Until now, there was no word on whether the US government would issue any travel restrictions despite there already being bans in place on the UK, South Africa, Brazil and a number of European countries.

Each day, 14 direct flights are arriving in the US from India, packed with people fleeing a catastrophic second wave."

Why wait till Tuesday????

Well, that's going to work well, isn't it? :rolleyes:

"Exempt travelers still must follow the CDC's requirement to show proof of a negative COVID test or recovery from the virus no more than three days prior to boarding their flight to the United States. For unvaccinated travelers, the CDC recommends getting a test after returning to the U.S., too, and quarantining."

I have been banging on here for weeks now about how we are having SO many returned travellers testing positive DESPITE the requirement of a negative covid test prior to boarding the plane.

<RSBM>

It is not clear if the US plans to cancel flights from India like the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Dubai already have."

Australia this morning also enacted our Biosecurity Act against travellers from India (first time this has ever been done in this kind of situation).
If Aussies in India try to return here through an indirect route they will be facing a potential $66,000 fine and/or 5 years in jail.

On the flip side of the coin, we have also sent supplies directly to India, to try to assist. And will continue to do so.

"One million surgical masks, 500,000 P2/N95 masks, 100,000 surgical gowns, 100,000 goggles, 100,000 pairs of gloves and 20,000 face shields. The Government has agreed to commence procurement of 100 oxygen concentrators, along with tanks and consumables."

Flights from India now paused as Australia sends emergency medical supplies
Covid crisis: Australians trying to return home from India face up to $66,000 fine or five years’ jail

Australia this morning also enacted our Biosecurity Act against travellers from India (first time this has ever been done in this kind of situation).
If Aussies in India try to return here through an indirect route they will be facing a potential $66,000 fine and/or 5 years in jail.

On the flip side of the coin, we have also sent supplies directly to India, to try to assist. And will continue to do so.

"One million surgical masks, 500,000 P2/N95 masks, 100,000 surgical gowns, 100,000 goggles, 100,000 pairs of gloves and 20,000 face shields. The Government has agreed to commence procurement of 100 oxygen concentrators, along with tanks and consumables."

Flights from India now paused as Australia sends emergency medical supplies
Covid crisis: Australians trying to return home from India face up to $66,000 fine or five years’ jail

I would rather the US government to "err on the side of caution". But it looks like we're not going to. :rolleyes:

I would rather the US government to "err on the side of caution". But it looks like we're not going to. :rolleyes:

I dont understand why flights from Brazil are not stopped right now--
why wait till Tuesday--If I recall, when the pandemic first came to te US
last year, it took too long to stop flights from China

A study published this week in The Lancet, a medical journal, found 13.5 per cent of people reported side-effects after one dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and 22 per cent reported it after their second dose.

It found a larger number of people — 37.7 per cent — reported side-effects after getting their first dose of AstraZeneca.

Headache and fatigue were more common in women and all side-effects were more likely if people had previously been infected with COVID-19.

It also found people younger than 55 were more likely to have side-effects.

Dr. Joseph Blondeau, head of clinical microbiology at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon, says that may be because younger people have a more robust immune system that’s quicker to respond.

He adds that stronger side-effects among some people during their second dose is likely because a person’s body has already been primed by the first dose.

The vaccine hangover: Experts weigh in on why some people have side-effects

I had first shot of Pfizer on Tuesday. I had the headache and mild fatigue. Can't get second dose until August but I understand and agree with why (trying to get more people vaccinated first before giving second doses).

I had first shot of Pfizer on Tuesday. I had the headache and mild fatigue. Can't get second dose until August but I understand and agree with why (trying to get more people vaccinated first before giving second doses).

I won't be surprised to find that the second doses get moved up as soon a we have a reliable supply. I heard out of the corner of my ears, that Canada is expecting a huge increase in the number of vaccines in the coming weeks.

I won't be surprised to find that the second doses get moved up as soon a we have a reliable supply. I heard out of the corner of my ears, that Canada is expecting a huge increase in the number of vaccines in the coming weeks.

We are improving with our vaccine supplies also. As well as producing our own, Pfizer is honouring a committed quantity of batches on a regular basis.

This has allowed us to, this week, open mass vaccination centres. Lots of pics this week of lots of younger emergency workers (paramedics and such) going into the centres for their 1st shots.

This 'double mutant' variant is adding fuel to India's COVID-19 crisis

“The mutations in the B.1.617 have been studied independently, but not in combination,” explained virologist Benjamin Pinsky. “What's important …there's a lot of mutations coming up in the spike protein.”

While random, the mutations in the spike protein that change its appearance and structure can help the virus evade the antibodies. These adaptations increase the ability of the virus to survive and replicate.

This 'double mutant' variant is adding fuel to India's COVID-19 crisis

Last edited:
With no plans to quarantine upon arrival?

A quarantine really needs to be in place. On the one hand, the State Dept. is encouraging Americans in India to come home. On the other hand, they're not requiring a quarantine when they're coming from the world's biggest infected hotbed?

As a nation, our hands are tied due to our laws, but a quarantine for returning travelers is within the government's ability to enact.

Not doing so is just a way of starting a new wave of infections here.

I hope they reconsider.

Several Indian states run out of coronavirus vaccines a day before a planned widening of a nationwide inoculation drive, authorities said.

Qatar Airways said it will ship medical aid and equipment to India free of charge from global suppliers to support international efforts to tackle the second COVID-19 surge in the country.

The UK bank Barclays has rushed out 1 million pounds ($1.4m) worth of medical supplies to India in the last week to help communities in the country tackle the surge in COVID-19 cases.
“We are very focused on India right now, which is our second biggest employee location,” Chief Executive Jes Staley told reporters after the bank’s first-quarter results.

Uganda has detected the Indian variant of the coronavirus, igniting fears the East African nation could suffer a resurgence of cases just when its outbreak has waned

Soli Sorabjee, a passionate human rights lawyer, died of COVID-19 on Friday, according to local reports.
Bihar chief secretary Arun Kumar Singh died due to COVID-19 complications, according to local media.
Also on Friday, television journalist and senior anchor Rohit Sardana died of COVID-19, leaving “a huge void in the media”.

Indian states run out of COVID jabs amid record cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member