Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible to catch two Covid variants at the same time, experts are warning after seeing a double infection in a 90-year-old woman who became sick with the Alpha and Beta types first identified in the UK and South Africa.

The woman, who died in March 2021 in Belgium, had not been vaccinated.

Her doctors suspect she contracted the infections from two different people.

They believe it is the first documented case of its kind and, although rare, similar dual infections are happening.

Her case is being discussed at this year's European Congress on Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases.

Covid: Woman aged 90 died with double variant infection

My goodness, that poor woman probably got covid before vaccines were available for her.

Australia is proof Zero Covid is a catastrophic fantasy, says ANGELA MOLLARD | Daily Mail Online

"The sacrifice had been worth it, we told ourselves. Zero Covid – an extreme policy that some influential scientists demand to see in Britain even now – was vindicated.

If the pandemic has taught us anything, however, it's that 'success' and self-satisfaction can mutate as quickly as the virus.

In just a few weeks, the nation has gone from the envy of the world for its low number of deaths, quick and effective lockdowns, formidable contact tracing and routine 'doughnut days' – where no cases are reported – to a hermit kingdom shut off from the rest of the globe.

We could be isolated for years, according to public health experts and epidemiologists.

With our ambitions focused on elimination rather than suppression of the virus, firmly shut borders plus a paltry nine per cent vaccination rate – the lowest among the developed countries – the prospects for 'Zero Covid' look as dated and parochial as the Crocodile Dundee films.

Covid has not killed many Australians, but it has certainly cowed us. We've regressed."

We could be isolated for years, according to public health experts and epidemiologists.

I don't think there is any "could" about it. We WILL have our international border closed for years. It has already been 1½ years, and it could be another 1½ years. imo
Although the PM is saying mid-2022 it could open, at least to some people.

Fortunately, most Australians are in full support of this. And our economy is doing well.

The Australia Talks National Survey found 79 per cent of Australians agree the international border should stay shut until the pandemic is under control globally.
That includes similar overwhelming majorities in all states, regions, and age groups.
Most Australians want to keep international borders closed, but people like James are still stranded

The country's speedy recovery has been helped by its ability to contain coronavirus outbreaks, which boosted consumer and business confidence.
Covid: Australia economy climbs back to pre-pandemic size

Last edited:
Yes the DM is a British paper, but Angela Mollard is an Australian writer living in Sydney. And besides, it's always good to be exposed to an alternative point of view.

We wouldn't want this thread to be nothing but an echo chamber.

Edit: I just responded to a comment that is not there anymore. So I guess my comment makes even less sense than usual. :)

Last edited:
I think the CDC jumped the gun and I'm afraid it could have disastrous consequences.

I completely agree. I had a sinking feeling when the CDC gave “permission” for the fully vaccinated to stop wearing masks. We all knew that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers would take advantage. Doesn’t the CDC understand psychology? I felt the same way when our normally sensible and courageous Governor Kate Brown here in Oregon ended all restrictions on June 30. I felt like the CDC and Governor had been looking out for our best interests, but now we’re on our own IMO. What happened?

They should make a little badge for people to wear. "I am vaccinated and still masking up, because you won't"

Great idea. If I thought it would convince anyone to get vaccinated, I’d make my own badge. Here, it would just cause confrontations and/or convince smug anti-vaxxers that they’ve “owned” us. :mad:

Yes the DM is a British paper, but Angela Mollard is an Australian writer living in Sydney. And besides, it's always good to be exposed to an alternative point of view.

We wouldn't want this thread to be nothing but an echo chamber.

Edit: I just responded to a comment that is not there anymore. So I guess my comment makes even less sense than usual. :)

She is actually a New Zealander, who then lived in the UK, and later moved to Australia. She writes a Parenting page, does celebrity interviews and writes a newspaper column. She certainly does have a minority and alternative point of view, and is no economic or disease expert. :)

From the DM article you posted, a certain comment makes it seem evident (to me) that she wants to visit overseas friends and family, and then to be able to come right back to Australia. Which is not possible at the moment.
She will just have to suck it up, like the rest of us do, in order to keep our population as safe as we can. (Or get permission to go overseas and not expect to come back anytime soon.)

The information that she writes (the economy is suffering) is not true. Better sources - like the BBC article I posted above - tell the real picture.

xx3.JPG
Parenting Commentator

Last edited:
Australia: New South Wales confirms first Covid-related death in 10 months

Bbc carrying a headliner today. Stay at home order in NSW has understandably been extended according to this article and sadly, first death reported in 10 months.

They are expecting Sydney numbers to top 100 today. There is wide consensus here that Gladys Berejiklian locked down too late. (Other states do immediate, short, sharp lockdowns and stop the virus in its tracks.)

They will now be in for a long lockdown, and other states are isolating them.

They are expecting Sydney numbers to top 100 today. There is wide consensus here that Gladys Berejiklian locked down too late. (Other states do immediate, short, sharp lockdowns and stop the virus in its tracks.)

They will now be in for a long lockdown, and other states are isolating them.

Must be a v tense time for you all. At least the lockdown is in place now, lets hope it will contain it quickly.

they have told us, pretty much with no lead time, to just go back to work in the office; no working from home. no idea if this will be safe or not. I realize that some people have had no option to work at home at all so ... cross my fingers.

I think this is probably true. These are the ones who have been paying attention and taking precautions from the start. I've worn my mask when I entered a crowded store, just to be on the safe side.

There's kind of a "shaming" reversal now that I've sensed, however. For many months most people masked and if someone didn't, others might look at them in a judgemental fashion. Now, I've felt the same sort of looks coming my way if I wear my mask. As if I'm doing something wrong.

I think the CDC jumped the gun and I'm afraid it could have disastrous consequences.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CDC does an abrupt "about face" and once again recommends a mask up policy in a month or so.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CDC does an abrupt "about face" and once again recommends a mask up policy in a month or so.
It also wouldn't surprise me if All the states with low vaccination rates, and increasing Covid cases, throw up a middle finger In Advance of such a recommendation, and start passing laws designed to maintain the status quo by forbidding any mask mandates from being imposed.

I can already smell the outrage quotes, and could write them myself today. You thought things were rough before. Stay tuned, the party may just be starting.

they have told us, pretty much with no lead time, to just go back to work in the office; no working from home. no idea if this will be safe or not. I realize that some people have had no option to work at home at all so ... cross my fingers.
I feel for you. Our advise to work from home if you can is due to be lifted soon in order to support city centre businesses. I do understand that, but working from home has been such a game changer for me. Plus I would have really struggled with fatigue. I'm going to hold out as long as I can and hopefully compromise somehow.

Good luck and if you dont feel safe, please raise it with your manager.

It also wouldn't surprise me if All the states with low vaccination rates, and increasing Covid cases, throw up a middle finger In Advance of such a recommendation, and start passing laws designed to maintain the status quo by forbidding any mask mandates from being imposed.

I can already smell the outrage quotes, and could write them myself today. You thought things were rough before. Stay tuned, the party may just be starting.
I'm starting to feel that's okay.

IMO it's impossible for anyone to have missed the message about how the virus is transmitted. It's just sheer, willful, pig-headedness to pretend not to understand the CDC message, which is intended to encourage people to get vaccinated so they won't need to wear a mask. The vaccines are widely available, there's no excuse in the US not to get one except 'I don't want to'. People who care, IMO, have gotten vaccinated.

Maybe time to just let people, institutions, and even governments take responsibility for their actions/inactions and not act out this stupid game of "I don't want to but I'm being forced to do it". Let people who are antimask and antivax catch the disease, let institutions who don't follow well-establish protocols deal with outbreaks, let governments who just want to pretend there isn't an epidemic, face the consequences and the voters.

The sad part is for countries that can't offer vaccines for everyone that wants them, I think we should turn our attention to helping those people and let the careless people in rich countries reap what they sow, or learn the hard way (or prove us all wrong, 'it's just like the flu'.)

I'm starting to feel that's okay.

IMO it's impossible for anyone to have missed the message about how the virus is transmitted. It's just sheer, willful, pig-headedness to pretend not to understand the CDC message, which is intended to encourage people to get vaccinated so they won't need to wear a mask. The vaccines are widely available, there's no excuse in the US not to get one except 'I don't want to'. People who care, IMO, have gotten vaccinated.

Maybe time to just let people, institutions, and even governments take responsibility for their actions/inactions and not act out this stupid game of "I don't want to but I'm being forced to do it". Let people who are antimask and antivax catch the disease, let institutions who don't follow well-establish protocols deal with outbreaks, let governments who just want to pretend there isn't an epidemic, face the consequences and the voters.

The sad part is for countries that can't offer vaccines for everyone that wants them, I think we should turn our attention to helping those people and let the careless people in rich countries reap what they sow, or learn the hard way (or prove us all wrong, 'it's just like the flu'.)

It would be nice if we quit harping on anti-vaxers and anti-maskers. People will continue to do what they want to do. We are all responsible for the decisions we make and can’t control others.

No matter what we do, the virus is here to stay, in some shape or form. I think we have the Wuhan lab to blame for that. Just let governments that try to hide and conceal that, face the consequences. IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member