Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to do research against rare side effects. You'd have to vaccinate 100,000 to see one case.

Oh, that’s actually higher than I thought. It’s mainly in younger males as well, isn’t it?

Opinion: If athletes won't get vaccine, this College World Series disaster is going to keep happening — USA TODAY

“Regardless of how you feel about the vaccine, the protocols that local governments have put in place, the NCAA, any professional league, the CDC, Dr. Fauci or whatever politician of your choosing, this is how it’s going to go for the foreseeable future. Don’t want to get vaccinated? Your choice. But understand what you’re risking: A positive test that, at any time, could ensnare others and wreck historic seasons.”

CoverMeCagney said:
snipped...
I think those are outdated figures. Having allowed AZ time to reach full efficacy (seems it is a slower burner than Pfizer), it now appears it is 92% effective against serious illness and hospitalisation. Pfizer is 96% so not a lot in it. There will not yet be sufficient data about the other brands as they’ve barely been used here in comparison.

Do you know how effective Moderna is? TIA if you do! :)
That's the jab I got - fully vaccinated since May. My bro got AZ jab - now fully vaccinated since first of June.

Do you know how effective Moderna is? TIA if you do! :)
That's the jab I got - fully vaccinated since May. My bro got AZ jab - now fully vaccinated since first of June.

I don’t I’m afraid, Niner, it’s not been used much here so we haven’t got as much data gathered. I imagine it’ll be on a par with the others though! Hope you’re well across the Baltic :)

I don’t I’m afraid, Niner, it’s not been used much here so we haven’t got as much data gathered. I imagine it’ll be on a par with the others though! Hope you’re well across the Baltic :)

Okay thanks - anyway! :) All is well across the Baltic! :D
We have to wear masks in doors & on transportation. Otherwise we can go without masks - but I'm still wearing mine. I went to an out door market place here - and was wearing my mask - and one of the sellers told me I didn't need - as this was outdoors. I kept it on... :) I have to say everyone seems to go with the "rules" here about wearing masks - unlike the U.S.

I think those are outdated figures. Having allowed AZ time to reach full efficacy (seems it is a slower burner than Pfizer), it now appears it is 92% effective against serious illness and hospitalisation. Pfizer is 96% so not a lot in it. There will not yet be sufficient data about the other brands as they’ve barely been used here in comparison.

I think it’s reasonably to say that the vaccines are working well against Delta in the U.K. The majority of hospitalisations and deaths now are among the unvaccinated. Hopefully this means when/if Delta sweeps across the pond, the majority will be protected.

UK study finds vaccines offer high protection against hospitalisation from Delta variant

I sure hope so, but your link was actually published before mine, so it probably bears more watching.

I'm wondering if the warm weather will help slow the spread, as it did last summer and then fall's cooler temps could speed it up again?

Everything I'm reading agrees with your idea that the hardest hit will be those who are unvaccinated. As of now, though, I feel better wearing a mask in public since I got the J&J shot.

I truly think the new concern is the Beta variant (and Delta Plus, which has the Beta mutation).

I note that the UK govt is in recent talks with AstraZeneca to enhance the Beta protection.

UK is talking to AstraZeneca about beta variant COVID jab
The AZ/Oxford University vaccine and other shots from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna are known to have less efficacy against the beta variant – also known as B.1.351 – which is estimated to be around 50% more transmissible than earlier strains.
UK is talking to AstraZeneca about beta variant COVID jab -

The Delta Plus variant contains an additional mutation called K417N on the coronavirus spike, which has been found in the Beta and Gamma variants, first found in South Africa and Brazil respectively (Beta was linked to increased hospitalisation and deaths during South Africa's first wave of infections, while Gamma was estimated to be highly transmissible).
Delta plus India: Scientists say too early to tell risk of Covid-19 variant

That is so concerning!

We've had such a difficult time getting the vaccines out to everyone, I wonder if boosters will be ready in time and whether we'll have better distribution.

I think the messaging--at least in the States--has gone from bad to worse. Now, everyone seems to think the risk is over. If fewer than half of all Americans are fully vaccinated--all those non-masked people I see in the stores are not abiding by the honor system. Statistically, they simply cannot all be vaccinated. I shopped just yesterday, and I only saw two people in the entire store with masks--one was the young checker. I asked when she could go maskless and she said she couldn't. She had some sort of immunity issue and couldn't take the vaccine.

You can ask your doctor. Some people are already taking boosters-either Pfizer or Moderna after J&J vaccination.

"Jason Gallagher, an infectious diseases expert at Temple University’s School of Pharmacy, recently received a Pfizer dose at the Philadelphia vaccine clinic where he has been administering shots. He got the J&J vaccine in a clinical trial in November."
Booster may be needed for J&J shot as Delta variant spreads, some experts already taking them | Reuters

Thanks for that info!

The Detroit News

I cross posted this in Michigan coronavirus - I think it is an important statistic.
More than 99% of hospitalized patients between Jan 1 and June 15 2021 were not fully vaccinated against the virus.

This is a similar stat to what we’re finding here, I believe. As time goes on it’ll become increasingly clear it’s the unvaccinated - including minors - who are getting hit by the virus now.

(Unless a big bad variant comes along that bypasses the jab, of course!)

That is so concerning!

We've had such a difficult time getting the vaccines out to everyone, I wonder if boosters will be ready in time and whether we'll have better distribution.

I think the messaging--at least in the States--has gone from bad to worse. Now, everyone seems to think the risk is over. If fewer than half of all Americans are fully vaccinated--all those non-masked people I see in the stores are not abiding by the honor system. Statistically, they simply cannot all be vaccinated. I shopped just yesterday, and I only saw two people in the entire store with masks--one was the young checker. I asked when she could go maskless and she said she couldn't. She had some sort of immunity issue and couldn't take the vaccine.
Exactly. In our area, less than 50% are vaccinated, so half of the people should be wearing masks. Yet almost everybody is maskless in some places.
Honor system doesn't work. I also see signs on business saying masks optional, or masks not required (they aren't even mentioning the un-vaccinated people should be wearing masks). I am still wearing a mask, even though I am fully vaccinated, and get funny looks.

dbm

capture-png.302471

Yah. I’ll admit it. Delta worries me. Especially for the kids. I hope some of these unvaccinated adults who can WILL step up and get vaxxed.
Local metro area is like at just under 50 %. Not sure where we’re at state wise. I’ll check and post a link later

As variant rises, vaccine plan targets ‘movable middle’

Pfizer advances clinical trials for 5- to 11-year-olds at lower doses

Is one vaccine dose enough if you’ve had COVID? What the science says

More than 50 COVID-19 cases linked to outbreak at teen church camp in Central Illinois

Well today my husband and I went to Costco without masks on. As we were checking out at self serve, one of the employees helped us with our stuff.: he was not masked either. Very few customers had masks -- This employee was pretty close to us as we chatted and I kept thinking "HE IS BREATHING ON ME!!!" Yikes!!! I have not been in this situation since before last March. It is just weird and it is a tad scary but I keep thinking there has to be an upside to being fully vaccinated!!! Here in Oakland County Michigan we have a very low rate of positives and 56 percent vaccinated.

Had a doctor appointment yesterday- hubby went with me- of course we both wore masks. This woman (masked) came in with her child, probably 2years old (no mask): I went into the exam room but my husband stayed in the waiting room. He told me the little girl had a screaming fit in the waiting room. We are both fully vaccinated but I imagine all those germs and whatnot spewing from the little girl's mouth during her hissy fit- I think she should have been masked- everybody is required to wear a mask at every doctor's office I have been to--- Am I wrong? The Delta virus is just beginning to be seen here in Michigan---and as we all know it is highly transmissible.

I don't know about there but here toddlers were not required to wear masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm