Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little happy news from my personal corner. This weekend we are taking my parents on holiday for a week to our favourite coastal area. We've rented a house. They have only left their home a handful of times since March 2020 so this is a big step. We are all double vaxed and my long covid fatigue is much less noticeable since I had mine. Masks and sanitiser packed. I cant wait to see the sea :)

Ooooooh that’s lovely HKP! Enjoy every moment. I’m so glad your fatigue is better. :)

The driver would have been eligible for Pfizer, being a quarantine driver. Also, the driver wasn't wearing a freakin' mask! He lied and said he was (because the job requires it) ... but CCTV shows that he wasn't wearing one.

So, no jab, no mask, drive incoming international flight crew around. Is there any wonder he started an outbreak?

Our population is fragile until we can get vaccinated. These people need to use (and apply) common sense.

My SIL is going for a Pfizer shot next week, even though his eligible age group isn't up yet. Because he helps care for his ill mother who is immuno-compromised. All he needs is a letter from her dr. There are common-sense allowances in place.

Even though Pfizer is scant at the moment (incoming orders supposed to start in a big way in July), essential people are eligible. And anyone who has anything to do with incoming flight crew/quarantine travellers is eligible.
Yep, you can't count on people doing the right thing. Honor system doesn't work.

WHO urges fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks as delta spreads — CNBC

“The WHO urged fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks and practice other Covid-19 pandemic safety measures as the highly contagious delta variant spreads rapidly across the globe.

"People cannot feel safe just because they had the two doses. They still need to protect themselves," WHO official Dr. Mariangela Simao told reporters.”

A man has been charged after he allegedly wore a face mask under his chin and refused to pull it over his mouth and nose at a shopping centre in Sydney’s east.

A NSW Police spokesperson said officers were patrolling at a shopping centre on Anzac Parade in Maroubra when they noticed the man wearing his face mask below his chin.

“When police approached the 60-year-old man it’s alleged he became aggressive and ignored directions to leave or wear the mask correctly. He then ran away and following a short foot pursuit, he was arrested,” the spokesperson said.

Australia COVID LIVE updates: NSW COVID cases grow, Greater Sydney restrictions unchanged, City of Sydney, Woollahra, Randwick, Waverley LGAs in lockdown, NSW exposure sites updated, Victoria COVID cases grow

Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated, analysis suggests

Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the US now are in people who weren't vaccinated, according to analysis by the Associated Press.

It is a demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to less than 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

“5 shots at winning” ha!
VaxMillions lottery drawing dates announced; Vaccinated residents will have 5 shots at winning
More at link
Residents ages 18 and up who are fully vaccinated can sign up ahead of the $1 million drawings. They must be fully vaccinated by the time registration closes.
Children between the ages of 12 and 17 years old who are fully vaccinated can sign up for a chance to win one of five $300,000 scholarships.

3 Mass. hospital systems will require all employees be vaccinated against COVID
More at link
Three major Massachusetts hospital systems said Thursday they will require all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, even those who do not have direct contact with patients.

Leadership at Mass General Brigham, Beth Israel Lahey Health and Wellforce said requiring vaccinations for employees is critical to halt the spread of the coronavirus and save lives.

It seems that it's mostly young adults who are opting not to get the shot, although university requirements might change some of that.

The overall vaccine numbers aren’t perfect, but they are actually very good. While the US will miss President Joe Biden’s goal of 70% of eligible Americans being vaccinated by July 4, most of the country has bought into the vaccine.

• More than 87% of Americans over 65 have started the process and 77% are fully vaccinated.
  • More than 65% of the Americans over 18 have started the process and 56% are fully vaccinated.
  • More than 62% of the population over 12 have started the process.
  • More than half the total population (53.7%) has started the process and 45.6% is fully vaccinated.
Who can require you to get a Covid-19 vaccination?

While we are concerned about the Delta variant, get ready for this one. Delta Plus.

"Hey Australia - You've heard of the Delta variant. Well, India is now reporting the "Delta plus" variant. It's been declared a "variant of concern" and three states have been warned."

It is a sub-lineage of the Delta variant first detected in India and has acquired the spike protein mutation called K417N, which is also found in the Beta variant first identified in South Africa.

"...... it can make vaccines and antibody drugs less effective, and increase the risk of reinfection."

As of June 16, at least 197 cases had been found across 11 countries — Britain (36), Canada (one), India (eight), Japan (15), Nepal (three), Poland (nine), Portugal (22), Russia (one), Switzerland (18), Turkey (one), and the United States (83).

What you need to know about the Delta Plus coronavirus variant

Keep in mind that most scientists still believe Covid jumped from an animal to humans. They're taking the lab-leak theory seriously now--because some evidence points in that direction--but for the most part, scientists are still trying to establish an animal/human link.

The problem as I see it is that the actions of one man (Peter Daszak) and his group, Eco-Health, irreparably harmed the public's trust in science. It was Daszak who pushed other scientists to sign a letter he wrote saying the idea of a lab leak was a "conspiracy theory." Now that some of those signatories are reconsidering their professional opinion, we're hearing a different story. NIH funded Eco-Health, and Eco-Health in turn funded the WIV.

Daszak finagled a position on the WHO investigative team--in effect--he was investigating himself, which was highly improper.

I get it that Daszak and other scientists who fund and take part in gain-of-function research think they might be getting a jump on a new virus before it can lead to a pandemic, but there is a very real need to discuss the ethics of this type of research.

We can't go back and change what happened, but I hope we can learn from it. Science should be above politics. Science should be honest. Most of all, science should not harm humanity.

JMOO

While we are concerned about the Delta variant, get ready for this one. Delta Plus.

"Hey Australia - You've heard of the Delta variant. Well, India is now reporting the "Delta plus" variant. It's been declared a "variant of concern" and three states have been warned."

It is a sub-lineage of the Delta variant first detected in India and has acquired the spike protein mutation called K417N, which is also found in the Beta variant first identified in South Africa.

"...... it can make vaccines and antibody drugs less effective, and increase the risk of reinfection."

As of June 16, at least 197 cases had been found across 11 countries — Britain (36), Canada (one), India (eight), Japan (15), Nepal (three), Poland (nine), Portugal (22), Russia (one), Switzerland (18), Turkey (one), and the United States (83).

What you need to know about the Delta Plus coronavirus variant

Oh dear! All these variants!

This makes me wonder if we're going to need annual boosters, much like yearly flu shots, going forward.

Oh dear! All these variants!

This makes me wonder if we're going to need annual boosters, much like yearly flu shots, going forward.

I think boosters will be a given.
We are still concerned about getting our population vaccinated at all. We now have 1.1M people (4.4%) fully vaccinated and almost 6M people (23.2%) with one dose. But it is absolutely crawling along.
Our PM tells us it is going to start racing along in July, and that we will all be vaccinated by October. Pfizer will be stepping up big time, and Moderna will be joining the picture as well.

But we are (apparently) definitely building facilities to make future booster shots.

The younger ones in NSW (where the outbreak is happening) are getting angry that they can't have AstraZeneca right now, because they want to be vaccinated.

The young and the vaxless: Furious under 40s are crying out to be vaccinated

Last edited:
Reactions: GRT
A little happy news from my personal corner. This weekend we are taking my parents on holiday for a week to our favourite coastal area. We've rented a house. They have only left their home a handful of times since March 2020 so this is a big step. We are all double vaxed and my long covid fatigue is much less noticeable since I had mine. Masks and sanitiser packed. I cant wait to see the sea :)
Bravo! Enjoy. The sea air will be even more beneficial for you. I always find it to be, in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savagegrace13