Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear you’ve had a nasty bout of it @Angleterre, hopefully you’re on track to get fully better soon :) I know of several families where it has spread through the household despite precautions, it is definitely more transmissible than last time.

I’ve just seen USA cases are now surging too, must be Delta. Stay safe everybody, she’s a nasty one.
Thank you @CoverMeCagney

There is an incubation period of 4-5 days. Which means after one is infected, it takes 4-5 days to start showing symptoms. So five days sounds normal.
Sorry I must be confusing the hell out of you- so why then did I feel it straight away within 24 hours of contact and that was Monday 12th and I was in the full throes of Covid before my test read positive on the Thursday (4 days total of having it but not showing on the test )? I may not be making sense and answering my own question @jjenny
I do apologise
I’m not quite back with it yet
I just thought it important to get the information out of what happened to us x

Signed Up for VaxMillions? Here's How Many People You're Competing Against
First drawing is Monday :D if y’all don’t hear from me for a few weeks .....

More at link
Since five fully vaccinated adults will each win one $1 million prize, the number of people currently signed up suggest a 1 in 397,986 chance of winning, while those under 18 have a 1 in 26,977 chance.

As of Friday afternoon, 2,124,872 people have signed up for the VaxMillions drawing, including 1,989,986 adults and 134,885 between the ages of ages 12-17, according to Gov. Charlie Baker's office. Those numbers indicate that about half of all people eligible to win haven't signed up, since 4.3 million people in total have been fully vaccinated in Massachusetts

As I initially posted some weeks ago, Dr. O stated, after changing from a weekly podcast format to a biweekly format, that IF the need arises to reassume a weekly format, CIDRAP WILL be here for us and they WILL go back to a weekly podcast format instead of biweekly if necessary.

Well, as promised, we are now back on a weekly format.

The Osterholm Update: COVID-19

Osterholm Update: COVID-19
Episode 61: Divided by Delta
July 22, 2021
In this episode, Dr. Osterholm and guest host Cory Anderson discuss the global and national impact of the Delta variant, address misinformation about vaccines, discuss mixed messaging that has challenged public health, and answer a listener question about seasonality.

‎The Osterholm Update: COVID-19: Episode 61: Divided by Delta on Apple Podcasts

ETA: Dr. O sees no evidence that this infection has anything to do with “seasonality” - he has been saying this for a while, citing South America as an example.

ETA2: Dr. Gottlieb has mentioned seasonality quite a bit.

(Yes we are indoors more in the winter)

ETA3: Dr. G appeared on a podcast recently and has a new book out. Marking spot, zzz gnight

Last edited:
I don’t dispute what you say but I was sat with my hubby and son in a booth , a few feet away from the next booth and what I don’t understand is why Olly with bottle of cola and a slice of lime/orange got it quite bad for his age and dad , my ex husband was on pints and he got it but just felt a bit yukky for a couple of days then done , yet I have been soooo bad . I have just said to my friend that it’s a good job I’m not living in America with a loaded gun in my house because I seriously think that I would have pulled the trigger on myself, that’s how bad it has been x

I'm sorry the virus hit you so hard and caused you feel so terrible. Good thing you didn't have access to a gun! It's good that you seem to be improving, and I hope you will be back to full health soon.

I noticed that it seemed to come in waves and just as you thought that it was getting a touch better, bam, the rug was pulled up from under your feet and it all started again. Very cruel in that regard.
APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF COVID VIRUS
In my experience, when I was vomiting ten times a day, there was no food or bile left to expel but I would expel this clear thick froth type of mucus but it was so colourless and odious looking. It must have been my bodies way to clean my lungs ?

I have a friend in Washington state that described the mucus as "almost weblike". She said she had never seen anything like it.

This so relates to me, I have had full anaphylaxis twice, intolerances to some drugs, chemicals, food. My doctor told me there wouldn’t be a clinic that would accept me and that I would need to be very careful! I got very down and anxious. Anyhow I did find a place and am booked in early August for Pfizer. Hubby had first dose AZ and getting his second soon. We are in Australia so vaccine rollout has been very slow unfortunately and now in Sydney we are in a strict lockdown with national emergency declared for some areas.
Can I ask what vaccine you had and any reaction? Did the clinic keep you longer to observe?

I've been working at the vac'n clinics since March and we haven't seen a single anaphylactic reaction. Those who have serious allergies are asked to stay 30 minutes or an hour after their needle and are closely monitored. Of course, all the medical personnel and equipment are right on hand if needed. We have been using Pfizer primarily.

What's the protocol in Australia? I am guessing that prior to given the needle, the vaccinators give each person a quick set of questions to reveal if there are any issues.

Last edited:
I feel it's inevitable that we will all get the Delta despite vaccination and masking.:(:( Not happy with 12% chance of hospitalization either. :(:(I'm grateful to have received the vaccine though. Otherwise I would have been scared to death.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/del...ective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine is just 39% effective in Israel where the delta variant is the dominant strain, but still provides strong protection against severe illness and hospitalization, according to a new report from the country’s Health Ministry.
However, the two-dose vaccine still works very well in preventing people from getting seriously sick, demonstrating 88% effectiveness against hospitalization and 91% effectiveness against severe illness, according to the Israeli data published Thursday.

“We have to be mindful that, with time, the effectiveness of these vaccines may wane,” said Dr. Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease professor at the University of Toronto.

Last edited:
I think if we are vaccinated and masking with a good mask, and socially distancing, we won't all get delta.
The problem is, people are going around maskless, and not socially distancing, as if covid was over. Now is not a good time to let your guard down.

I've been working at the vac'n clinics since March and we haven't seen a single anaphylactic reaction. Those who have serious allergies are asked to stay 30 minutes or an hour after their needle and are closely monitored. Of course, all the medical personnel and equipment are right on hand if needed. We have been using Pfizer primarily.

What's the protocol in Australia? I am guessing that prior to given the needle, the vaccinators give each person a quick set of questions to reveal if there are any issues.

Thankyou that does make me feel a lot better about having it. The clinic I booked into asked for history, medication etc. I feel even with a reaction there would be medical staff, I have EpiPens so compared the the disease and stress worrying about I’ll take that risk.

God. I HATE this killer virus. It has turned our entire world upside down.
I am so angry about who or what idiots chose to play around with a virus that would kill millions of people that I can hardly even express my anger.
No Country has any right to kill absolutely innocent people who are just minding their own business.
Yeah. I'm furious.
I want to know HOW this curse virus was released upon this world.
I am not into "Just get over it and move along".
All Countries should be up in arms and as angry as I am and hunt down the mass murderers who have killed 4 million innocent people and climbing deaths daily.
Jmo. Passed off to the maximum opinion.

God. I HATE this killer virus. It has turned our entire world upside down.
I am so angry about who or what idiots chose to play around with a virus that would kill millions of people that I can hardly even express my anger.
No Country has any right to kill absolutely innocent people who are just minding their own business.
Yeah. I'm furious.
I want to know HOW this curse virus was released upon this world.
I am not into "Just get over it and move along".
All Countries should be up in arms and as angry as I am and hunt down the mass murderers who have killed 4 million innocent people and climbing deaths daily.
Jmo. Passed off to the maximum opinion.

I guess that depends how it started, and whether it was naturally occurring or not. The first case of the 1918 flu is believed to have come from Kansas. Do we blame America for murdering up to 100 million people back then? No.

Not much point being furious until the facts are established.

Last edited:
Australia had the protesters from hell today. Both Sydney (2,000 people) and Melbourne (1,000 people) experienced organised (and lockdown-prohibited) protests from people who want to buck our get-out-of-covid-trouble system.

Considering that Sydney has a population of 5,000,000 and Melbourne has a population of 5,000,000, it was a very small minority who were out there .... bringing little kids with them, fighting police, one guy punched a police horse in the face. :mad:

Lots of arrests, and police are reviewing CCTV to arrest more.

Someone in my city had planned a protest also, but the police commisioner was able to advise us during our regular morning presser today that due to them arresting the main instigator early, they were able to avert this stupid action.
The article says a rally happened in Brisbane also, but I have yet to hear (or see) about that actually taking place.

Anybody want 3,000 idiots? No charge. Just tell us where to send them, and you can have them. :mad:

I think there are far too many people in this world who have learned NOTHING over the past year and a half.
There is going to be a further mess if Delta was at these protests, which is quite likely in Sydney and possible in Melbourne.

Chaos as thousands gather for anti-lockdown protests

Last edited:
---respectfully snipped for focus...

She said, "I am not old, fat, or have any health issues, so I am perfectly fine with the miniscule risk.".

Sadly, those are becoming famous last words for too many people.

I was really hoping for public service messages that were able to cut through the conspiracy theories and convinced those who are not convinced.

The last thing I wanted was an angry response that drew lines in the sand, but that's what's beginning to happen. People are becoming very upset at what is, basically, a mindset that could potentially up-end all the efforts we've made to date getting vaccinated.

It's hard to know how to proceed. We can continue to create newer vaccines to cover the variants, but if we have a large percentage of people who won't take them, this isn't going to end until the virus just plays itself out, and millions more will die before that can occur.

I know it's easy to say I don't care about those who die because it's basically their own fault, but in reality, I do care--because they are more than just the sum of their poor decisions. They're still our fellow human beings.

I'm disappointed in the CDC because they dropped the ball, and governors and local leaders followed their advice.

JMOO -- our only chance to beat this virus is to convince our skeptical friends and neighbors to get the jab. But, how do we do that?

Australia had the protesters from hell today. Both Sydney (2,000 people) and Melbourne (1,000 people) experienced organised (and lockdown-prohibited) protests from people who want to buck our get-out-of-covid-trouble system.

Considering that Sydney has a population of 5,000,000 and Melbourne has a population of 5,000,000, it was a very small minority who were out there .... bringing little kids with them, fighting police, one guy punched a police horse in the face. :mad:

Lots of arrests, and police are reviewing CCTV to arrest more.

Someone in my city had planned a protest also, but the police commisioner was able to advise us during our regular morning presser today that due to them arresting the main instigator early, they were able to avert this stupid action.
The article says a rally happened in Brisbane also, but I have yet to hear (or see) about that actually taking place.

Anybody want 3,000 idiots? No charge. Just tell us where to send them, and you can have them. :mad:

I think there are far too many people in this world who have learned NOTHING over the past year and a half.
There is going to be a further mess if Delta was at these protests, which is highly likely in Sydney and possible in Melbourne.

Chaos as thousands gather for anti-lockdown protests

Oh dear! We had those issues too and I'm sorry to see you having them. You guys have done such a good job!

The media outlets hype and sensationalize conspiracy theories, and certain mindsets are prone to believing them.

How do we stop that without total censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum