Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have really mixed feelings about GoF research.

On the one hand I feel like you, that it is really dangerous.

On the other hand, what do we do when the next SARS, or Covid-19, comes along and we don't have any defense at least partially prepared? We were somewhat lucky this time, there was enough prep that vaccines could be released fairly quickly.

This is where I am as well. So much of the anti-vaccine rhetoric, and the GoF rhetoric is just so opinionated .

Desperately trying to find SOMEONE to blame for this virus gets us nowhere, in the long run. You know, like blaming someone takes away the personal responsibility of it all, takes away the country responsibility.

When we ever learn... I am convinced it will be a combination of events, AND will be wrapped into major changes in animal biology and climate change.

I am finding myself leaning towards scientific writings, rather than opinionated MSM talk, when it comes the the "what are we going to do about all this"???? Education will be the only solution in the future.....

Just a couple of the thousands of articles quoted here:

Research using Gain-of-Function (GoF) techniques is no different with respect to what it can achieve in the long term, at least according to many of the symposium participants. Atlas noted that, although there was no attempt to achieve a consensus, no disagreement was voiced to the repeated claims of various presenters that in the short term GoF research is helpful for adapting viruses to growth in culture and for developing essential animal models for emerging pathogens, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), and escape mutations to understand drug resistance and viral evasion of the immune system.
Potential Benefits of Gain-of-Function Research - Potential Risks and Benefits of Gain-of-Function Research - NCBI Bookshelf

As the planet heats up, animals big and small, on land and in the sea, are headed to the poles to get out of the heat. That means animals are coming into contact with other animals they normally wouldn’t, and that creates an opportunity for pathogens to get into new hosts.

Many of the root causes of climate change also increase the risk of pandemics.
Coronavirus and Climate Change

How double-jabbed PIERS MORGAN caught Covid in Wembley chaos — Daily Mail

Piers Morgan has revealed that he caught Covid. during the crowd chaos that marred Wembley's Euro Championships final - despite being double-jabbed.

In a powerful account for tomorrow's Mail on Sunday, the 56-year-old broadcaster - one of the strongest critics of the government's pandemic policies - describes how the virus triggered a raging fever, chills and violent coughing and sneezing fits before leaving him exhausted and fearful of what might be to come next.”

Well duh, vaccinated doesn’t mean you won’t get it - especially unmasked and no social distancing in a large crowd.

I’m scratching my head that anyone thinks they “won’t get it because I’m vaccinated” and is indoors in close proximity to other people with no masks.

I remain amazed at people who continue to go to crowded events with no masking or social distancing, even with vaccines. I would never do that- never--- I am surprised at Piers Morgan though: he should have known better.

I guess since they can't actually see the virus, for them it simply does not exist.

Last edited:
Yes, that's pretty much the mentality--that of a little kid that's disruptive.

Here, it was the same, only the word, "communism" was being thrown around. Or, "fascism." Take your pick. They were so angry.

Now, of course, it's eased due to relaxed restrictions, but now we're seeing Delta spread like wildfire, and the anger is shifting to the other side.

I think everyone should watch or rewatch Contagion.... It is a virus much more severe than Covid...., and even though fiction, it does show how bad a global virus can be.

Makes me wonder if Covid is just a "lesson"....
do do do do.
moo

Movie Review: Contagion - Resilience

This review came out at the beginning of covid... before the surges.

Mask mandate returning to St. Louis City, County on Monday

Effective Monday, everyone 5 and older in St. Louis City and County must wear a mask in indoor public places and on public transportation regardless of vaccinated status. Officials are also urging people to wear masks in outside if they are in a group. Those who are seated in a restaurant or bar eating and drinking, and those who have disabilities that prevent them from wearing masks are exempt from the mandate.

The announcement comes as Delta variant spreads in the St. Louis region. St. Louis City and County officials previously said they were considering bringing the mandate back. Many local school districts are still deciding whether to require masks.

This is where I am as well. So much of the anti-vaccine rhetoric, and the GoF rhetoric is just so opinionated .

Desperately trying to find SOMEONE to blame for this virus gets us nowhere, in the long run. You know, like blaming someone takes away the personal responsibility of it all, takes away the country responsibility.

When we ever learn... I am convinced it will be a combination of events, AND will be wrapped into major changes in animal biology and climate change.

I am finding myself leaning towards scientific writings, rather than opinionated MSM talk, when it comes the the "what are we going to do about all this"???? Education will be the only solution in the future.....

Just a couple of the thousands of articles quoted here:

Research using Gain-of-Function (GoF) techniques is no different with respect to what it can achieve in the long term, at least according to many of the symposium participants. Atlas noted that, although there was no attempt to achieve a consensus, no disagreement was voiced to the repeated claims of various presenters that in the short term GoF research is helpful for adapting viruses to growth in culture and for developing essential animal models for emerging pathogens, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), and escape mutations to understand drug resistance and viral evasion of the immune system.
Potential Benefits of Gain-of-Function Research - Potential Risks and Benefits of Gain-of-Function Research - NCBI Bookshelf

As the planet heats up, animals big and small, on land and in the sea, are headed to the poles to get out of the heat. That means animals are coming into contact with other animals they normally wouldn’t, and that creates an opportunity for pathogens to get into new hosts.

Many of the root causes of climate change also increase the risk of pandemics.
Coronavirus and Climate Change
I totally agree blaming others benefits no one. Only causes more turmoil within society imo

Lots of photos:

Australian anti-lockdown protestors clash with police amid new restrictions after just 176 new cases | Daily Mail Online

"Anti-lockdown marches have erupted across Australia with tens of thousands of maskless protesters lining the streets of Melbourne and Sydney, amid fears the rallies could act as devastating Covid super-spreading events.

The protests are a response to harsh Covid lockdowns in New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia, with more than half the country's 25million people ordered to stay at home over an outbreak which began in Sydney.

The severe restrictions have been imposed in response to a small rise in cases, which saw 176 new infections across the entire country registered on Saturday.

Frenzied crowds shouting 'freedom' and anti-vaccine conspiracy slogans swarmed Haymarket city centre from midday on Saturday, just moments after local health chief Jeremy McAnulty declared the area a virus hotspot.

Officers confirmed more than 60 arrests had been made after objects were thrown, including one who allegedly launched a bollard at a policeman, while others were seen punching horses."

Florida tops the nation in new COVID cases. As they spike in its rural Big Bend, many still fear the vaccine more. — USA TODAY

“On Wednesday morning, chief nurse Paige Tolley received a call from the clinic across the street, where Davis works, about rising COVID-19 cases.

"Are y’all seeing multiple daily, too?" Tolley said on the phone. "Keep sending them if y’all need to. We'll be here."

Tolley said cases have "really picked up in the past couple weeks," mostly among unvaccinated people.

“I hate to see the infection rate like it is,” she said.

She empathizes with those who refuse. "I’m not going to push anything on anybody," said Tolley, who hasn't been vaccinated.

“I don’t know what the virus would do to me, I don’t know how it would affect me, because everybody’s different," she said. "I also don’t know what the vaccine would do.”

Her coworker, risk control nurse Janna Martin, a mother of three, also hasn't gotten a COVID-19 vaccine. She's afraid of unforeseen fertility ramifications. While experts say such claims are unfounded, Martin said her doctor suggested she hold off.”

What? You hate to see the infection rate like it is and supposedly concerned about the rise in cases.....yet you’re not vaccinated?
And a risk control nurse too?
Scary stuff

Sigh. I think that I am going to dig out my masks for next week.
Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I wear a lined mask with a nano filter in stores. I tend to stay out of restaurants and attend virtual church services.
Our state Department of Health has a COVID dashboard that provides the places where most cases are reported. Ours are bars, restaurants, schools, church, and gyms. So far I've avoided all.

Here is a beautiful police victim of today's covid protests in Sydney. (Punched in the face.)

View attachment 305758

Our beautiful brave Tobruk safe and uninjured after his awful encounter today. Thank you again everyone for your words of support.
Mounted Unit - NSW Police Force
Thankfully the horse is uninjured. Too bad the horse didn't retaliate with his hooves. My late horse would have head-butted him.

American Dysfunction Is the Biggest Barrier to Fighting Covid
Opinion | American Dysfunction Is the Biggest Barrier to Fighting Covid

By Zeynep Tufekci

"Globally, the Covid-19 pandemic is a threat because of scarcity of vaccines, with the highly transmissible Delta variant threatening millions around the world who can’t get vaccinated.

In the United States, the threat is dysfunction, with unwanted vaccines ready to expire on the shelves as desperate people around the world die for lack of them.

“This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, recently said, as the data shows that almost everyone who died from Covid-19 recently was unvaccinated.

Certainly the severe consequences will fall mostly on the unvaccinated. But the dysfunction affects all Americans."

She discusses vaccine mandates and notes (BBM):
"A staggering 40 percent of workers at nursing homes and other long-term care facilities remain unvaccinated. This is terrible, considering that the elderly, even if vaccinated, would be expected to have more breakthrough infections.

People may have a right to take their chances with an infection but not to risk transmitting the virus to vulnerable others."

She addresses the lack of FDA full approval for vaccines:
"The lack of formal approval has allowed some anti-vaxxers to claim the vaccines are experimental. Polls show that a lack of trust in the vaccine is a rationale for some of the vaccine hesitancy. And without full approval, it might be easier to fight vaccine mandates, both legally and politically.

"Lack of full approval also helps feed a misunderstanding. Adverse reactions to some drugs can indeed occur long after we start taking them, especially after long-term use. However, vaccination is a one-time event (or two, if you count the booster). Immediate side effects, like allergic reactions, would occur fairly soon after inoculation. That’s why people are asked to spend 15 minutes in a waiting room postvaccination or 30 minutes if they’ve had a history of allergic reactions."

"Regulators require six months of safety data, not more. They have that now."

Regarding transmission of the Delta variant by vaccinated people:
"There is also a question about how likely the vaccinated are to transmit to others if they are infected with Delta. In May the C.D.C. stopped tracking breakthrough cases unless people became hospitalized. That was a mistake. Its explanation was that such cases were rare, and they may well have been when the decision was made. Delta is a reminder that the reason for surveillance is to be able to quickly notice changes in an outbreak."

Much more at link, well worth reading (I realize there's a paywall).

Australia had the protesters from hell today. Both Sydney (2,000 people) and Melbourne (1,000 people) experienced organised (and lockdown-prohibited) protests from people who want to buck our get-out-of-covid-trouble system.

Considering that Sydney has a population of 5,000,000 and Melbourne has a population of 5,000,000, it was a very small minority who were out there .... bringing little kids with them, fighting police, one guy punched a police horse in the face. :mad:

Lots of arrests, and police are reviewing CCTV to arrest more.

Someone in my city had planned a protest also, but the police commisioner was able to advise us during our regular morning presser today that due to them arresting the main instigator early, they were able to avert this stupid action.
The article says a rally happened in Brisbane also, but I have yet to hear (or see) about that actually taking place.

Anybody want 3,000 idiots? No charge. Just tell us where to send them, and you can have them. :mad:

I think there are far too many people in this world who have learned NOTHING over the past year and a half.
There is going to be a further mess if Delta was at these protests, which is quite likely in Sydney and possible in Melbourne.

Chaos as thousands gather for anti-lockdown protests

I’m really disappointed and sorry to see all this, SA.

We received a group email from a friend saying that she and her husband, both fully vaccinated, got Covid when they went to an RV rally in another state. It sounds like no one was wearing masks or distancing. (No way I would have done such a thing, but I think they were feeling pretty protected by the vaccine.)

They started having symptoms on the way home and tested positive when they got home. They will receive immunotherapy infusions on Monday.

These folks are in their 70s, like DH and me. I'm getting pretty worried about fading immunity in older folks with Delta spreading like crazy. DH and I were vaccinated (Pfizer) in January/early February. I'm ready for a booster ASAP!

MOO

Tennessee to restart vaccine outreach paused amid GOP pressure

Tennessee to restart nearly all vaccine outreach paused amid GOP pressure, says health commissioner

The Tennessee state government will resume all forms of vaccine outreach, with the narrow exception of social media posts aimed specifically at children, after halting many forms of advocacy this month in response to conservative pressure, the state's top health official said Friday.

Tennessee also faces a new “surge” of coronavirus that shows no signs of slowing, and deaths from the virus are expected to spike in coming weeks, the health official warned.

Health Commissioner Dr. Lisa Piercey said the Tennessee Department of Health will restart outreach efforts recommending vaccines for children and once again hold events on school property offering the COVID-19 vaccine, including some next week. Department staff are no longer instructed to strip the agency logo from public-facing vaccine information, she said.

“Nothing has been stopped permanently,” Piercey said during a press briefing. “We put a pause on many things, and then we have resumed all of those."

We received a group email from a friend saying that she and her husband, both fully vaccinated, got Covid when they went to an RV rally in another state. It sounds like no one was wearing masks or distancing. (No way I would have done such a thing, but I think they were feeling pretty protected by the vaccine.)

They started having symptoms on the way home and tested positive when they got home. They will receive immunotherapy infusions on Monday.

These folks are in their 70s, like DH and me. I'm getting pretty worried about fading immunity in older folks with Delta spreading like crazy. DH and I were vaccinated (Pfizer) in January/early February. I'm ready for a booster ASAP!

MOO
Gather round the campfire for some
Delta instead of s’mores?

Sounds like an outdoor event and people falsely thinking it was safe?

I haven’t seen much about Moderna and breakthrough.

Tennessee to restart vaccine outreach paused amid GOP pressure

Tennessee to restart nearly all vaccine outreach paused amid GOP pressure, says health commissioner

The Tennessee state government will resume all forms of vaccine outreach, with the narrow exception of social media posts aimed specifically at children, after halting many forms of advocacy this month in response to conservative pressure, the state's top health official said Friday.

Tennessee also faces a new “surge” of coronavirus that shows no signs of slowing, and deaths from the virus are expected to spike in coming weeks, the health official warned.

Health Commissioner Dr. Lisa Piercey said the Tennessee Department of Health will restart outreach efforts recommending vaccines for children and once again hold events on school property offering the COVID-19 vaccine, including some next week. Department staff are no longer instructed to strip the agency logo from public-facing vaccine information, she said.

“Nothing has been stopped permanently,” Piercey said during a press briefing. “We put a pause on many things, and then we have resumed all of those."

Well, that is good news!
They've opened their eyes.

MOO

CDC poo-poohed Pfizers emergency request for boosters... I think we are beginning to see that Pfizer may be ahead on the significance of the Delta variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum