Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rather boost my immunity through a booster shot of either Moderna or Pfizer, not the "mild case of covid."
Considering almost half a country is refusing to vaccinate, give those of us who want a booster their doses as a third dose. For booster, you could use the same vaccine you already got as a third shot. You will only need one shot the third time.

All I see, is that the goal posts keep moving on Covid. First, we were told "everything is fine, no one needs to wear a mask". Then, it was, "everyone needs to wear a mask all of the time". Next, it was, "get a vaccine, you will be fine, and can throw away your mask.".

Now, it is yet another narrative..."Well, we never expected the vaccines to work 100%.".

It is a new story about Covid and variants every day...which to me, means that they don't know Jack about Covid.

There certainly was nothing known of Covid when it began circulating around the world. Since then, we've learned some basic truths about the way it is transmitted, the way to prevent transmission, and what society needs to do moving forward to prevent variants from forming.

We also have seen how the medical system has responded, what the needs are and where problems in the medical system are exposed.

We've learned a lot about problems that have arisen because of the spread of conspiracy theories, political interference, poor literacy, and the mind-boggling failures in human nature. But the good news is that we have a vaccine that is hugely successful.

There will be a constant flow of new information about covid as research data gets collected, studied, tested and reported. As covid mutates, it will be studied again. As time chugs forward, there will be lots to learn. Some people might throw up their hands in frustration, and some will view new information with interest and curiosity.

The basic facts remain: wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance and get vaccinated.

I rather boost my immunity through a booster shot of either Moderna or Pfizer, not the "mild case of covid."
Considering almost half a country is refusing to vaccinate, give those of us who want a booster their doses as a third dose. For booster, you could use the same vaccine you already got as a third shot. You will only need one shot the third time.

I am not looking forward to a booster- it took all my courage to get two shots--- I will do it, but I won't like it.

There certainly was nothing known of Covid when it began circulating around the world. Since then, we've learned some basic truths about the way it is transmitted, the way to prevent transmission, and what society needs to do moving forward to prevent variants from forming.

We also have seen how the medical system has responded, what the needs are and where problems in the medical system are exposed.

We've learned a lot about problems that have arisen because of the spread of conspiracy theories, political interference, poor literacy, and the mind-boggling failures in human nature. But the good news is that we have a vaccine that is hugely successful.

There will be a constant flow of new information about covid as research data gets collected, studied, tested and reported. As covid mutates, it will be studied again. As time chugs forward, there will be lots to learn. Some people might throw up their hands in frustration, and some will view new information with interest and curiosity.

The basic facts remain: wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distance and get vaccinated.

Even though I am vaccinated, I am living my life as though I am not-- doing those things you mentioned. I wish more people would do the same: instead what too many people have done is after they got vaccinated they took it as a get out of jail card and acted like there is no pandemic- all those crowded events, makes my skin crawl.

The European medicines watchdog on Friday approved the use of Moderna's coronavirus vaccine for children aged 12 to 17, making it the second jab for adolescents for use on the continent.

The EU on Thursday said 200 million Europeans have been fully vaccinated, more than half of the adult population, but still short of a 70 percent target it had set for the summer.

EU watchdog approves Moderna jab for children aged 12 and above

Young people warned after COVID-19 death of Sydney woman in her 30s

Young people are at "considerable risk" from the Delta variant of COVID-19, an expert warned after the death of a woman in her 30s.

The woman, from the Sydney CBD, had no pre-existing conditions. She died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital overnight.

Nobel Prize-winning immunity and infection expert Peter Doherty said COVID-19 was much less a disease of the elderly than had previously been the case.

"It's very sad that a young woman should die from COVID, or from anything for that matter," Professor Doherty said.

"But I think it highlights that particularly this Delta variant that's circulating now is really quite problematic in younger people.

"The message is that young people are at considerable risk and at higher risk than with the earlier variants of COVID.

"Young people shouldn't think they're at no risk or even minimal risks. Because it's going to kill."

Olympics/golf
Bryson DeChambeau Tests Positive for COVID-19, Will Miss Tokyo Olympics
The United States will be without Bryson DeChambeau when the men's Olympic golf tournament begins Wednesday.

It was announced Saturday night that DeChambeau has tested positive for COVID-19 and will be unable to compete

Spanish golfer Jon Rahm tests positive for Covid-19 for a second time, taking him out of Tokyo 2020
Spanish golfer Jon Rahm, the world No. 1 one of the favorites for Olympic gold, has tested positive for Covid-19 for a second time, this time ending his chances to participate at Tokyo 2020. Rahm tested positive on his third Covid-19 test prior to departing for Tokyo, according to the Spanish Golf Federation.

Rahm was required to undergo three tests in compliance with guidelines for those who have recently been in the United Kingdom.

In June this year, Rahm was withdrawn from the Memorial Tournament after testing positive for Covid-19, the PGA Tour announced.

I am not looking forward to a booster- it took all my courage to get two shots--- I will do it, but I won't like it.
My side effects were all very minor so I am not concerned at all about the third shot. Pfizer study showed the third shot increases antibodies, which is what we need to fight delta.

I must have missed something, because I thought that I heard, "Once you have been vaccinated 2x, you no longer need to wear a mask". That was from the CDC and Dr. Fauci.

I followed that "guidance". Now, the "new" story is: wear a mask? Has the CDC stated that yet?

My position is a bit tricky, since I still work full time. It is a huge difference between wearing a mask 45 hours a week and not. Aside from that, my life has not changed. I don't travel, or go anywhere.

Young people warned after COVID-19 death of Sydney woman in her 30s

Young people are at "considerable risk" from the Delta variant of COVID-19, an expert warned after the death of a woman in her 30s.

The woman, from the Sydney CBD, had no pre-existing conditions. She died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital overnight.

Nobel Prize-winning immunity and infection expert Peter Doherty said COVID-19 was much less a disease of the elderly than had previously been the case.

"It's very sad that a young woman should die from COVID, or from anything for that matter," Professor Doherty said.

"But I think it highlights that particularly this Delta variant that's circulating now is really quite problematic in younger people.

"The message is that young people are at considerable risk and at higher risk than with the earlier variants of COVID.

"Young people shouldn't think they're at no risk or even minimal risks. Because it's going to kill."

The woman's family must have been notified and given permission for her details to be released.

Adriana was an accounting student, with no underlying conditions. 38 years old, from Sao Paulo. A Brazilian national who was here on a temporary visa. No-one that Adriana knew - here or overseas - could be with her when she passed, all communications with family and friends were done by Zoom.

‘Adriana is not a number’: Sydney accounting student, 38, the latest NSW coronavirus death
Brazilian woman dies of Covid in Australia: 'Cruel disease' says Premier Gladys Berejiklian

I must have missed something, because I thought that I heard, "Once you have been vaccinated 2x, you no longer need to wear a mask". That was from the CDC and Dr. Fauci.

I followed that "guidance". Now, the "new" story is: wear a mask? Has the CDC stated that yet?

My position is a bit tricky, since I still work full time. It is a huge difference between wearing a mask 45 hours a week and not. Aside from that, my life has not changed. I don't travel, or go anywhere.

Are you in the US? Our Public Health advice has consistently been that masks must continue to be worn as before, when social distancing is not possible. My DH has the job of placing a notice from Public Health Canada with this guidance on the chair of each person who goes through the mass vaccination clinics. They have 15 minutes to read it. We've never had a different message, so we are fortunate that way.

I think the CDC's permission to remove masks was premature. They weren't thinking of the number of unvaccinated people who would remove their masks, nor the problem of highly contagious variants which loomed ahead. But, people need to adapt quickly as the information continues to be updated.

Are you in the US? Our Public Health advice has consistently been that masks must continue to be worn as before, when social distancing is not possible. My DH has the job of placing a notice from Public Health Canada with this guidance on the chair of each person who goes through the mass vaccination clinics. They have 15 minutes to read it. We've never had a different message, so we are fortunate that way.

I think the CDC's permission to remove masks was premature. They weren't thinking of the number of unvaccinated people who would remove their masks, nor the problem of highly contagious variants which loomed ahead. But, people need to adapt quickly as the information continues to be updated.

ETA, I just read over the CDC guidelines, and agree that they are rather relaxed. I wonder what the WHO recommends, but I don't have time right now to check. Maybe someone here would be willing to hunt down their advice.

COVID-19 Vaccination

Last edited:

Yes, I think the CDC naively thought that the reward for the vaccinated would be to be able to unmask, and didn't consider that all the others would unmask as well.

We are talking about the CDC- isn't it their job to anticipate issues that emanate from the advice they give to the entire country? How could they not consider that once they advised that vaccinated people could remove their masks, that unvaccinated people would also remove theirs? You don't have to be a genius to anticipate that could occur. and in fact it did happen. How could the Center for Disease Control not take into consideration that as they were giving that advice, the Delta variant was beginning to make itself known in the United States and they knew how transmissible it was even if most people were not aware of that at that time-- The CDC has been so disappointing throughout this pandemic it is kind of unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllaMichael