Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #97

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the mask mandate for flights be extended? Southwest Airlines CEO says airlines not pushing for it — USA TODAY

“Airplanes and airports are among the few remaining places where face masks are required, but they might not be after Sept. 13 if the rule isn't extended.

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly, chairman of industry lobbying group Airlines for America (A4A), said Thursday that Southwest and the trade group are not recommending another extension of the federal transportation mask mandate.”

Why the heck not with the Delta variant and breakthrough cases?

Will the mask mandate for flights be extended? Southwest Airlines CEO says airlines not pushing for it — USA TODAY

“Airplanes and airports are among the few remaining places where face masks are required, but they might not be after Sept. 13 if the rule isn't extended.

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly, chairman of industry lobbying group Airlines for America (A4A), said Thursday that Southwest and the trade group are not recommending another extension of the federal transportation mask mandate.”

Why the heck not with the Delta variant and breakthrough cases?

OK, people here have been mostly accurate for the last 17 months, about how things would play out, especially over short term periods.

So what do all these other people know, that we apparently do not? Speaking for myself, I see things getting progressively worse since 100% Open, 0% Masks hysteria broke out. I see August being a bad month. It's 1 week away, and it wouldn't surprise me if we're on the cusp of 100,000 cases/day right around that time. It will take time to reach that level on the 7-day average, but it will arrive in August, as the numbers escalate.

I doubt we're going to be at 60% fully vaccinated by Labor Day. Not at the current pace, and given the time between doses, it will take awhile to accelerate the numbers, even if people went out and got the vaccine now. There is no evidence as of yet that they are. In other words, the inertia is almost completely gone.

With some exceptions, it seems to be a "just remain calm" attitude. Go about your lives as if things are normal, and officially...."masks are optional."

We have real time evidence of what's happening in other countries that have acted similarly in recent weeks, so what is it that will make America different? Responsibility? Ummmmm......Nope. We're Footloose & Fancy Free.

I believe we're on our way to 2,000 Deaths/day by Labor Day, and perhaps a 7-day daily average upwards of 1,500. And while I'd like to say it's deserved, for those who are unvaxxed and die from it. I know I'm going to look at those #'s and cringe, at how we're back to a place we were before vaccines existed, or were widely available.

Help me out. Make me think I'm on one of the other sites, where I'd be told how far off base I am. Right now I'm experiencing the range of emotions I did in 2020. Fear, Anger, Frustration, Confusion, Anger again.

If you are not vaccinated against Covid-19, you shouldn't go into a bar or restaurant, expert says — CNN

"What I would say bluntly is: If you are not vaccinated right now in the United States, you should not go into a bar, you should probably not eat at a restaurant. You are at great risk of becoming infected," CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner, professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University, told CNN's Fredricka Whitfield.”
I am vaccinated and I am not doing any of those things either.

NY Times has published a map today of the current US hotspots. I am guessing that they are trying to get the warning out to everyone.

xx1.JPG

And also a map of the current risk levels (purple being the highest, graduating down in colour/risk intensity, with green being the lowest)

xx2.JPG

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

Last edited:
Major medical groups call for employers to mandate Covid-19 vaccines for health care workers - CNN
Major medical groups call for employers to mandate Covid-19 vaccines for health care workers
As the number of Covid-19 cases surges in the United States, more than 50 health care groups -- including the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Public Health Association -- issued a joint statement calling for all health care and long-term care employers to mandate employees be vaccinated against Covid-19.

"Our health care organizations and societies advocate that all health care and long-term care employers require their workers to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Major medical groups call for employers to mandate Covid-19 vaccines for health care workers - CNN
Major medical groups call for employers to mandate Covid-19 vaccines for health care workers
As the number of Covid-19 cases surges in the United States, more than 50 health care groups -- including the American Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Public Health Association -- issued a joint statement calling for all health care and long-term care employers to mandate employees be vaccinated against Covid-19.

"Our health care organizations and societies advocate that all health care and long-term care employers require their workers to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Especially those that come to your home.
The vulnerable that are unable to go to the doctor and rely on home health nurses, aides, PT, OT, etc.
I have been astounded at how many times I have to tell someone to wear a mask. Plus the reasons why they are not “afraid” of Covid or “it’s not a big deal, I’m healthy”.
Duh, what about your patients?
JMO

De Blasio to require all NYC workers to be vaccinated or tested

All municipal workers for the City of New York will now be required to get vaccinated or submit to weekly coronavirus tests, announced Mayor Bill de Blasio Monday.

With the delta variant of the virus pushing the case number up, the mayor said it was time to take further steps to enhance the COVID safety protocol and bring the deadly pandemic to an end.

"This is about our recovery. This is about what we need to do to bring back New York City," said de Blasio.

The new mandate includes all members of the FDNY, NYPD and Department of Education.

The enhanced COVID safety protocol will take effect Sept. 13, the first full day of the school year. Workers in congregate residential centers like foster care homes and other settings will be required to get vaccinated or tested earlier starting Aug. 16.

Unvaccinated city staff will be required to wear a mask indoors. City workers can forgo the face mask only with proof of vaccination.

"We will have to, unfortunately, be very tough if a city government employee does not wear a maks indoors. Unfortunately, there will have to be consequences," added de Blasio.

All NYC workers, including cops, firefighters, teachers must be vaccinated or tested weekly: De Blasio

De Blasio to require all NYC workers to be vaccinated or tested

All municipal workers for the City of New York will now be required to get vaccinated or submit to weekly coronavirus tests, announced Mayor Bill de Blasio Monday.

With the delta variant of the virus pushing the case number up, the mayor said it was time to take further steps to enhance the COVID safety protocol and bring the deadly pandemic to an end.

"This is about our recovery. This is about what we need to do to bring back New York City," said de Blasio.

The new mandate includes all members of the FDNY, NYPD and Department of Education.

The enhanced COVID safety protocol will take effect Sept. 13, the first full day of the school year. Workers in congregate residential centers like foster care homes and other settings will be required to get vaccinated or tested earlier starting Aug. 16.

Unvaccinated city staff will be required to wear a mask indoors. City workers can forgo the face mask only with proof of vaccination.

"We will have to, unfortunately, be very tough if a city government employee does not wear a maks indoors. Unfortunately, there will have to be consequences," added de Blasio.

All NYC workers, including cops, firefighters, teachers must be vaccinated or tested weekly: De Blasio

I was just going to post this!!! Good for him: There needs to be some tough leadership locally and federally, including the president of the United States with respect to mandating vaccines. We have no more time to coddle people.

Tell me about it. As a restaurant owner in California, we have been jumping through hoops for over 1.5 years.
I get a lot of it, but I never got why ALL of California would get shutdown for break outs happening hundreds of miles away from us.
When we all got double vaccinated I was SO relieved.
I really don't know what to think now.
Should a fully vaccinated person feel safe or not!?!
That is what I, and everyone I know want to know.
Do these vaccines protect you or not?
Yes I realize there will be some break through cases, but what are we talking about?
3 in 100,000.? I won't worry.
Otherwise, come cold weather and holidays, are we going through this again?

Public Health Ontario has extensive data on breakthrough cases.
According to their data:

• Of the over 10 million vaccinated individuals only 0.02% (1,765 individuals) became infected when they were fully vaccinated; as these were fully vaccinated individuals, these are considered breakthrough cases (Table 2).

• The number of post-vaccination cases declines dramatically as time from vaccination increases. The number of post-vaccination cases appears to decrease at about 10 days after dose 1. A marked decrease in post-vaccination cases is observed 28 or more days after dose 1 and very few cases are reported following dose 2 (Figure 1)

So the number of breakthrough cases is very low. There is more data about age, time since vaccination, etc, with lovely graphs at: https://www.publichealthontario.ca/...pi-confirmed-cases-post-vaccination.pdf?la=en

I don't remember this Medscape article being posted here:

Vaccine Breakthrough Cases Rising With Delta: Here's What That Means

"The vaccines were designed to keep us out of the hospital and to keep us from dying. That was the whole purpose of the vaccine and they're even more successful than we anticipated," says William Schaffner, MD, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.

[...]
...protection [after vaccination] differs from person to person depending on age and underlying health. People with immune function that's weakened because of age or a health condition can still become seriously ill, and, in very rare cases, die after vaccination.

When people are infected with Delta, they carry approximately 1000 times more virus compared with previous versions of the virus, according to a recent study. All that virus can overwhelm even the strong protection from the vaccines.

[...]

In June, fully vaccinated people accounted for 20%, or 1 in 5, COVID cases in the county [Los Angeles County], which is the most populous in the United States. The increase mirrors Delta's rise.

In the United Kingdom...the estimated effectiveness of the vaccines to prevent an illness that causes symptoms dropped by about 10 points against Delta compared with Alpha (or B.1.1.7).

After two doses, vaccines prevent symptomatic infection about 79% of the time against Delta, according to data compiled by Public Health England. They are still highly effective at preventing hospitalization, 96% after two doses.

More at link.

OK, people here have been mostly accurate for the last 17 months, about how things would play out, especially over short term periods.

So what do all these other people know, that we apparently do not? Speaking for myself, I see things getting progressively worse since 100% Open, 0% Masks hysteria broke out. I see August being a bad month. It's 1 week away, and it wouldn't surprise me if we're on the cusp of 100,000 cases/day right around that time. It will take time to reach that level on the 7-day average, but it will arrive in August, as the numbers escalate.

I doubt we're going to be at 60% fully vaccinated by Labor Day. Not at the current pace, and given the time between doses, it will take awhile to accelerate the numbers, even if people went out and got the vaccine now. There is no evidence as of yet that they are. In other words, the inertia is almost completely gone.

With some exceptions, it seems to be a "just remain calm" attitude. Go about your lives as if things are normal, and officially...."masks are optional."

We have real time evidence of what's happening in other countries that have acted similarly in recent weeks, so what is it that will make America different? Responsibility? Ummmmm......Nope. We're Footloose & Fancy Free.

I believe we're on our way to 2,000 Deaths/day by Labor Day, and perhaps a 7-day daily average upwards of 1,500. And while I'd like to say it's deserved, for those who are unvaxxed and die from it. I know I'm going to look at those #'s and cringe, at how we're back to a place we were before vaccines existed, or were widely available.

Help me out. Make me think I'm on one of the other sites, where I'd be told how far off base I am. Right now I'm experiencing the range of emotions I did in 2020. Fear, Anger, Frustration, Confusion, Anger again.
I think many individuals want to be optimistic that it's over. I regard the news media as being in the entertainment industry: give the customers what they want. Also, the news media want to keep things fresh and interesting. An key way to do that is just like in a soap opera, go from the heights of happiness to the depths of despair on an endless cycle. Consistent, even tempered, that's just boring, people turn that channel off.

As well, businesses know that optimistic people will spend money, for eg, on flights. So, to please and attract advertisers, the media's current focus on optimistic scenarios will not contradict the sunny ads that pay for the stories..

When, as you predict, the situation gets too dire to carry on the optimism, business can comfort itself that at least it maximized revenues during this brief window of opportunity.

Media will have new, dramatically negative covid-hardship stories to tell, plus stir up endless speculation about who is to blame, so that'll be fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm