Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A man who became ill on a Jetstar flight from Melbourne to Hobart is being assessed by health authorities amid coronavirus fears.

The plane was placed into lockdown on the Hobart Airport tarmac for several hours on Friday afternoon as health authorities examined the man.

The deadly coronavirus is not strongly suspected but he has been taken to the Royal Hobart Hospital for assessment.
Virus scare on Jetstar flight in Hobart

In huge outbreaks, there are never 'true' numbers. Infected numbers rise too high to test everyone, those who have lighter symptoms don't go for testing. The final numbers in an outbreak such as a yearly flu are always estimates based on things like the percentage of infected who do get tested.

Outbreaks of some diseases can have more accurate figures, but not for something like the flu.

As countries keep an eye on quarantined patients in ring containment zones, they can get a better idea of how to estimate thse figures as well as possible. For instance they can learn about transmission rates for various stages of symptoms, they can get rates on how many people who are under watch go onto develop more serious symptoms and would be likely to either go to the doctor or be admitted to hospital. They will extrapolate from those figures to reach the final 'official' estimated numbers, but it would be an informed estimate and not an absolute figure.

SantaClara.JPG 7th 2019nCoV virus infection today in US, live presser about to begin, live video within link. Santa Clara CA

Santa Clara County confirms first case of coronavirus

ETA: Santa Clara is due west San Jose, SSE of San Francisco

Notes from presser (will update during presser)
  • First case in Bay area
  • We do not have evidence the virus is circulating
  • adult male that travelled to Wuhan and got ill when back
  • He has been self isolating the entire time since return
  • He was not sick enough to be hospitilized
  • He came into contact with few individuals when he returned

Q&A
Q. How long before he developed symtptoms...
A. Case returned on 24th to US, and has only beeen at home with exception of going to seek care twice. He had been in Wuhan and Shanghai.
Q
A We identified all closed contacts, and these contacts will self isolate for 14 days (DID I get that right????????????) We are lucky in this case as few household members.
Q
A Since the pt returned home, he has been self isolating... he has not been very ill and has only been in for outpatient care so we will follow him at home
Q What do you mean by circulating
A Flu now is circulating, the corona virus is only one person, so not circulating
Q
A Since WHO declared an emergency, we want to learn and see how it is spreading through active surveillance
Q
A I don't have info on what city he lives in, only county. We will not share where he got health care
Q
A Right now at peak of flu season, hospitals seeing lots of flu and other respiratory viruses, so far more likely to get sick from flu. If you are sick, stay home. If you are sick with someone else in home, sneeze into elbow and wash hands. And get your flu shot.
Q
A In US, we have little documented, ours is 7th. We know that we have 36,000 deaths from flu/year in US. What distinguishes this virus is that it is new, and a lot we don't know.
Q
A Contact investigations include #1 where he went, and who they are with. #2 all info re flights are sent to the CDC. #3, we work closely with health care workers to see if they might have gotten exposed in the health care setting
Q
A The patient arrived through San Jose airport
Q
A re contact investigation... health care/airline and household contacts are investigated.
Q
A We are a county of 2 million people, so we follow a lot of diseases. We never announce and report on cases until confirmed. Same here in this case
Q
A One of the things we do to isolate, this person has strictly isolated. Not leave their home. If family member can take care of person, they do. If they cannot have someone take care of them at home, we get health care resources to them to support.
THE END

Last edited:
I'm worried they don't want to cause mass panic and possible civil unrest and they are not releasing the truth.

Unfortunately, I believe that’s entirely possible.
It’s a catch 22 for any governing body. They have to balance keeping the public informed, yet try to keep mass panic out of the equation. Mass panic and fear has the potential to be even deadlier than the virus.
Personally, I look for the truth in their actions, not their statements...

Either way, I don’t believe we’ll ever know the true numbers from ground zero. The rest of China, perhaps.

View attachment 229042 7th 2019nCoV virus infection today in US, live presser about to begin, live video within link. Santa Clara CA

Santa Clara County confirms first case of coronavirus

ETA: Santa Clara is due west San Jose, SSW of San Francisco

Notes from presser (will update during presser)
  • First case in Bay area
  • We do not have evidence the virus is circulating
  • adult male that travelled to Wuhan and got ill when back
  • He has been self isolating the entire time since return
  • He was not sick enough to be hospitilized
  • He came into contact with few individuals when he returned

Q&A
Q. How long before he developed symtptoms...
A. Case returned on 24th to US, and has only been at home with exception of going to seek care twice. He had been in Wuhan and Shanghai.
Q
A We identified all closed contacts, and these contacts will self isolate for 14 days (DID I get that right????????????) We are lucky in this case as few household members.
Q
A Since the pt returned home, he has been self isolating... he has not been very ill and has only been in for outpatient care so we will follow him at home
Q What do you mean by circulating
A Flu now is circulating, the corona virus is only one person, so not circulating
Q
A Since WHO declared an emergency, we want to learn and see how it is spreading through active surveillance
Q
A I don't have info on what city he lives in, only county. We will not share where he got health care
Q
A Right now at peak of flu season, hospitals seeing lots of flu and other respiratory viruses, so far more likely to get sick from flu. If you are sick, stay home. If you are sick with someone else in home, sneeze into elbow and wash hands. And get your flu show.
Q
A In US, we have little documented, ours is 7th. We know that we have 36,000 deaths from flu/year in US. What distinguishes this virus is that it is new, and a lot we don't know.
Q
A Contact investigations include #1 where he went, and who they are with. #2 all info re flights are sent to the CDC. #3, we work closely with health care workers to see if they might have gotten exposed in the health care setting
Q
A The patient arrived through San Jose airport
Q
A re contact investigation... health care/airline and household contacts are investigated.
Q
A We are a county of 2 million people, so we follow a lot of diseases. We never announce and report on cases until confirmed. Same here in this case
Q
A One of the things we do to isolate, this person has strictly isolated. Not leave their home. If family member can take care of person, they do. If they cannot have someone take care of them at home, we get health care resources to them to support.
THE END
Ok, so he exposed people on the plane back , he's seen a few peeps, and also outpatient care with who knows how many sick people waiting .

This person easily could have come in close contact with 100 people and they are reporting "FEW"

Ok, so he exposed people on the plane back , he's seen a few peeps, and also outpatient care with who knows how many sick people waiting .

This person easily could have come in close contact with 100 people and they are reporting "FEW"
Right. And the woman didn’t really answer the reporter’s question when he asked when exactly did he know he was sick. She said he flew to San Jose airport and then felt sick and sought care.

So did he feel sick on the plane? As soon as he landed? The next day? Did he go shopping to get food before he started feeling sick? Etc.

I’m so thankful to him that he self-isolated. Good on him and he is awesome for doing that. I do wonder though exactly when he started to self-isolate if he was not sick when he left China.

My heart goes out to those who are not going to beat this. I cant imagine being so ill and knowing your likely not going to pull thru. Your alone in a negative pressure room. Cared for by robot or people in Hazmat. Everyone dying should be surrounded by loved ones. So very sad.

My heart goes out to those who are not going to beat this. I cant imagine being so ill and knowing your likely not going to pull thru. Your alone in a negative pressure room. Cared for by robot or people in Hazmat. Everyone dying should be surrounded by loved ones. So very sad.
So very true. Thank you for bringing that to mind.

Right. And the woman didn’t really answer the reporter’s question when he asked when exactly did he know he was sick. She said he flew to San Jose airport and then felt sick and sought care.

So did he feel sick on the plane? As soon as he landed? The next day? Did he go shopping to get food before he started feeling sick? Etc.

I’m so thankful to him that he self-isolated. Good on him and he is awesome for doing that. I do wonder though exactly when he started to self-isolate if he was not sick when he left China.
Right! and if its Asymptomatic at first how many prior to even feeling sick ....I'm sorry for being Negative Nancy but we are in trouble.....

Right! and if its Asymptomatic at first how many prior to even feeling sick ....I'm sorry for being Negative Nancy but we are in trouble.....
Those having direct contact with an infected person should be worried. As far as the public goes as long as the person hasn't coughed/sneezed spewing droplets.......but how would any of us truly know that. I think as long as we continue with good hygiene practice. Don't touch your face/mouth/eyes and I certainly would stay away from crowded venues. For now IMO. Most will beat this but if I had it I would be so very worried I passed it on to somebody who could not beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member