Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If folks would rather don a mask to go out absolutely do it. We all have to decide what we are comfortable with. I just had a fit test done last week and my mask did change-to what I don't remember. Tester and I got yacking. Not worried the card will be in my file and easy access to the size I need. I guess I'm shrinking :eek:

wait you need a specific size of mask???

wait you need a specific size of mask???
Yes. Those of us who work in fields where they might be needed do a fit test. N95 is the most common. If u watch youtube videos they will show you how to put it on, fit it and take it off. For use out and about N95 will likely do the trick for most.
ETA- for those of us who may be in a setting with prolonged exposure you need a mask that exactly fits your face.

Last edited:
Oh my. So all that sceening where they only relied on a thermometor being pointed at a person's forehead didnt mean squat. Anyone that they let go home because they didnt have a fever could have still had the virus and spread it to others.

This is awful and it is getting worse.

And it is starting to hit our "home" countries for many of us just as we feared.

I hope my 20ct box of 3M-N95 masks I got the other day will last awhile and I dont care if people laugh at me at the store where I shop when I walk in with one on.

In fact I was thinking about this yesterday. If I put on a mask and walk into my grocery store, then others (that may be infected) will probably be scared of me and stay away from me. So rather than the mask helping me not breath anything bad in , it can help to keep people away from me. :)

I may have to make a test run to the store this weekend with my mask on and see if people start to stay away from me. On second thought, with my luck, someone will call authorities and I will be hauled away for quarantine for 14 days. :)

Seriously though. I pray for everyone who is sick and for those in the new areas where we are starting to see cases in new countries now. All we can do is prepare and protect ourselves as much as possible, and by being here and learning as much about this as possible, we are empowering ourselves more than most. And that is a good thing.

I'm immuno compromised. I don't give a @#$% what ppl think of me in a mask.

I always pick up cheap dollar store gloves. Several of them. Nobody seems to look twice pushing a cart around the market etc. wearing them. When I get in my car I peel them off inside out. Then they go in the wash. If u lose one or both who cares there just dollar store. I don't just use them for the market. Places where I am going to be touching something for a period of time etc. etc.

I always pick up cheap dollar store gloves. Several of them. Nobody seems to look twice pushing a cart around the market etc. wearing them. When I get in my car I peel them off inside out. Then they go in the wash. If u lose one or both who cares there just dollar store. I don't just use them for the market. Places where I am going to be touching something for a period of time etc. etc.

I also use rubber gloves in my house often for chores like giving my dog a bath, etc.

I have found those blue colored ones are much better than the typical white ones that have a light coating of powder. The blue ones go on real easily and they dont leave your hands with a powdery residue.

They really come in handy for all sorts of household chores like cleaning the tub and toilet and giving pets baths, etc.

ETA - Thats a great idea to use them when shopping with a shopping cart. Its really hard to wipe the handle down good and I always feel like Im getting more germs just trying to wipe the handle down. Just wearing disposable gloves when pushing a cart around would make it easy and probably be safer for germs on the handle.

Queensland’s Premier has said all flights to and from China should be suspended as the death toll from the coronavirus continues to rise, as does the number of people infected with the virus in Australia.

But the Foreign Minister has resisted calls to ban flights, pointing out no other country has done the same and measures to contain the virus are already in place.

On Saturday afternoon, Victorian health authorities confirmed a fourth case of coronavirus in the state, bring the total number of cases nationwide to 10.
Tenth Australian coronavirus case confirmed

At Least Two-Thirds of China Economy to Stay Shut Next Week

More than a dozen Chinese provinces announced an extension of the current Lunar New Year holiday by more than a week as the nation attempts to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus that has killed hundreds of people and sickened thousands.

Fourteen provinces and cities have said businesses need not start operations until at least the second week of February. They accounted for almost 69% of China’s gross domestic product in 2019, according to Bloomberg calculations.

All the key eastern manufacturing provinces have extended the holiday. They include Guangdong, home to the tech city of Shenzhen across the border from Hong Kong; Shanghai, home to China’s largest port and a newly-built Tesla Inc. plant; as well as Jiangsu, where Nike shoes are manufactured. Henan in central China, which has a large Foxconn plant making iPhones, also announced the extended break.

Interestingly, a significant percentage of drugs consumed in the US are made in China. Most drugs we consume are generic drugs and those are manufactured in India and China.

8 Ways Overseas Drug Manufacturers Dupe the FDA

Then there are the over the counter drugs, too...

We need to keep manufacture of certain essential products in the US

Someone was asking upthread when the first cases appeared in December. I just came across the Jan 11 WHO update on this that says December 8th was first symptom onset that was confirmed as 2019nCoV.

Weird to look back just to January 11th, 20 days ago when reported

"The cluster was initially reported on 31 December 2019, when the WHO China Country Office was informed. The Chinese authorities identified a new type of coronavirus (novel coronavirus, nCoV), which was isolated on 7 January 2020. .... According to information conveyed to WHO by Chinese authorities on 11 and 12 January, 41 cases with novel coronavirus infection have been preliminarily diagnosed in Wuhan City. Of the 41 cases reported, seven are severely ill. This is when the one death, mentioned above, was reported, in a patient with other underlying health conditions. Six patients have been discharged from hospital. Symptom onset of the 41 confirmed nCoV cases ranges from 8 December 2019 to 2 January 2020. No additional cases have been detected since 3 January 2020. "

There were just 41 confirmed cases at that time blows my mind.

For those that want to read how far this has come, here's the reference of the update from that day
Novel Coronavirus – China

And here are the daily situation reports listing since January 21st. Just 10 days ago they started daily WHO reports.
Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) situation reports

I definitely openly side eyed a coworker today for sneezing. All over. I mean seriously ??!

I know for me if I was sitting at a venue involving several hrs. and somebody was hacking/sneezing I would leave. I want no part of whatever you got dude. I would 1st be concerned about regular bugs but it also would cross my mind.........

Foreign travellers who have left or passed through mainland China will be denied entry to Australia as officials try to contain the spread of coronavirus.
They will not be allowed enter Australia for 14 days from the time they depart or transited through the Asian superpower.
The measure comes as South Australia confirms two new coronavirus cases there - a Chinese couple in their 60s - bringing the national total to 12.
China travellers to be banned from Australia, as Aussies told not to visit country

GRAPHIC WARNING FOR ANIMAL LOVERS

Coronavirus – Cats and dogs ‘thrown from tower blocks’ in China after fake news rumours animals are causing spread

In a bid to put and end to the false claims, China Global Television Network posted a quote from the World Health Organisation.

It read: “There is no evidence showing that pets such as cats and dogs can contract the novel coronavirus, the World Health Organisation said on Wednesday.”

Coronavirus - Cats and dogs ‘thrown from tower blocks’ in China after fake news rumours animals are causing spread

**Warning extremely distressing images at link**

Last edited by a moderator:
nCoV expands in Europe; antiviral drug study to launch in China Jan 31, 2020 by The Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy within the University of Minnesota

• Four European countries—Italy, Russia, Sweden, and the United Kingdom—reported their first novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) cases today...Russia's government today announced its two first cases
  • Gilead today announced that it's working with health officials in China to conduct a randomized controlled clinical trial of the experimental antiviral remdesivir for safely treating 2019-nCoV infections... Though the drug is not licensed or approved, Gilead has provided it for emergency use in a small number of 2019-nCoV patients, and a case report yesterday in the New England Journal of Medicine says it was used on the first US patient. (e.d. this company and drug was mentioned it was going to be the first used in the last 2 days by either CDC or WHO, but I couldn't understand/spell so it didn't end up in my quick transcriptions)
  • Germany today reported three new 2019-nCoV infections, all part of a cluster of locally spread cases linked to a workplace in Bavaria state. Two are employees who had contact with one or more of the five coworkers who tested positive earlier in the week
  • Japan's health ministry today reported three more cases, one of which involves local spread, in a 20-year-old woman from Chiba prefecture who was a bus guide for Wuhan tourists, an event that was linked to an infection in the bus driver. The country's other two cases were asymptomatic infections detected among a group of evacuees from Wuhan who returned to Japan yesterday,
  • Thailand's public health ministry today reported five new cases,Four of the patients are from men from China who have a history of travel to Wuhan. The other is a Thai man who works as a taxi driver and had not been to China.
The article has links to MANY government statements from yesterday, including Italy, Russia, Sweden, Japan, Toronto, Singapore, US, Hong Kong etc in addition to Gilead press release. I found a statement that answers two questions that I've seen asked here by posters.

Who qualifies as a close contact?
Anyone who is within two metres of the infected person for 15 minutes.

Would the virus survive on a tissue?
Probably for 15 minutes, but it is unlikely to survive on surfaces, like door handles, for more than 24 hours.

Source: Public Health England

:(Nope can’t read This article.
And all for “fake news”.

GRAPHIC WARNING FOR ANIMAL LOVERS

Coronavirus – Cats and dogs ‘thrown from tower blocks’ in China after fake news rumours animals are causing spread

In a bid to put and end to the false claims, China Global Television Network posted a quote from the World Health Organisation.

It read: “There is no evidence showing that pets such as cats and dogs can contract the novel coronavirus, the World Health Organisation said on Wednesday.”

Coronavirus - Cats and dogs ‘thrown from tower blocks’ in China after fake news rumours animals are causing spread

**Warning extremely distressing images at link**

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members