Coronavirus - Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
27 cruise passengers screened in N.J.; 4 taken to hospitals

Twenty-seven Chinese nationals were screened after getting off a Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas cruise that docked in New Jersey Friday morning.

One passenger who had a fever on the cruise was given Tylenol and the fever went away, the Bayonne mayor said. That person and three others, who were under close observation for their health on the ship, were taken to University Hospital in Newark, which has isolation rooms.

The other 23 Chinese nationals who were screened showed no symptoms and were headed to Newark Liberty International Airport for flights back to China on Friday.

A cruise ship has been denied entry by Japan and is in a "holding pattern" off the coast

A cruise ship has been denied entry by Japanese authorities and is now in a “holding pattern” off the southeast coast of Okinawa over fears of coronavirus.

The MS Westerdam left Singapore on January 16 for what should have been a 30-day cruise around Asia. But after leaving Hong Kong on February 1, the ship has been turned away from ports in the Philippines and Taiwan due to fears that there may be coronavirus cases on board.

In Hong Kong, the ship disembarked 1,254 guests and embarked 768 guests before departing on Saturday, the cruise company Holland America Line (HAL) said.

There is no suggestion that any passengers, current or former, have been infected, the cruise company said on Twitter.

Coronavirus live updates: Outrage in China over death of whistleblower doctor - CNN

rsbm
@margarita25 , are you still binge watching/gone down the rabbit hole and cannot get back out? ;)

(Lol, yes I AM still in the YouTube the rabbit hole!!!!! Seriously. You called it. I am LOVING the British senior couple stranded on the cruise ship. They are adorable!)

I’m almost caught up in thread 2 also :)! )

Last edited:
27 cruise passengers screened in N.J.; 4 taken to hospitals

Twenty-seven Chinese nationals were screened after getting off a Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas cruise that docked in New Jersey Friday morning.

One passenger who had a fever on the cruise was given Tylenol and the fever went away, the Bayonne mayor said. That person and three others, who were under close observation for their health on the ship, were taken to University Hospital in Newark, which has isolation rooms.

The other 23 Chinese nationals who were screened showed no symptoms and were headed to Newark Liberty International Airport for flights back to China on Friday.

(BBM) taken to isolation rooms
negative pressure

https://www.hfmmagazine.com/articles

Air | Background | Environmental Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC

A cruise ship has been denied entry by Japan and is in a "holding pattern" off the coast

A cruise ship has been denied entry by Japanese authorities and is now in a “holding pattern” off the southeast coast of Okinawa over fears of coronavirus.

The MS Westerdam left Singapore on January 16 for what should have been a 30-day cruise around Asia. But after leaving Hong Kong on February 1, the ship has been turned away from ports in the Philippines and Taiwan due to fears that there may be coronavirus cases on board.

In Hong Kong, the ship disembarked 1,254 guests and embarked 768 guests before departing on Saturday, the cruise company Holland America Line (HAL) said.

There is no suggestion that any passengers, current or former, have been infected, the cruise company said on Twitter.

Coronavirus live updates: Outrage in China over death of whistleblower doctor - CNN

The British couple on one ship was saying on YT how thankful they are that they have a cabin with a balcony for fresh air and sunlight, and that they feel badly for those without that. Moo.

(Lol, yes I AM still in the YouTube the rabbit hole!!!!! Seriously. You called it. I am LOVING the British senior couple stranded on the cruise ship in Yokohama! They are adorable!)

I’m almost caught up in thread 2 also :)! :) )

Do they have their own youtube channel or are uploads through news sources?

I'd love to subscribe!

For sure magz and too late to ask for an upgrade on your cabin. We have done one cruise and decided it was just not our thing. I get many love them. We don't like timelines when on vaycay and living with hundred of people. I feel for those people. Extended vaycay and not in a good way.

Xi Jinping Grabbed All the Power. Then the Coronavirus Hit. (Barron’s)

There are serious questions being raised in China about the delay, roughly 40 days, separating the first cases of the Wuhan virus and the emergency declared around January 21 by the president. In this time, whistleblowers were punished, important information flows were suppressed, public events continued, and an “everything is normal” facade obtained. The political craving for stability and control, perversely, and not for the first time, created precisely the opposite...”

Also from article: “While economists are trying to tabulate the impact of the virus on the economy, markets have conveyed their own rather pessimistic take. The copper price—bellwether of Chinese industrial and economic health—has fallen 12% since mid-January. The economic severity of the Chinese reaction to the virus depends not so much on the death rate as on the time it takes to bring the infection under control and provide antidotes...”

We have cruised before. I love it because I never have to worry about who wants to eat what or who wants to do this or that. It's great for me to relax. Everyone gets to do their own thing.

I cruised with my elderly dad, always got him a balcony because he was in a wheelchair and on oxygen. Best upgrade ever! I also had MedJet insurance (air medical transportation) and am SHOCKED now learning that MedJet cannot take these passengers off (because China and the US will not allow anyone to leave the ship until the 14-day quarantine).

I'd love to subscribe!

I have seen their videos posted on various international news outlets. As soon as I get caught up I’d like to post all these videos as I mentioned. I was thinking about starting a media thread for videos only with your approval, that way I can power post away and bring all the videos forward because there are SO many videos that are so important for reference and you get the visual which sometimes can’t be described in words. I don’t want the video thread to be a standard media thread, though, because there are just too many articles and I think we have the articles covered very well here in a timely fashion (and I’m BURNED out on organizing articles after these media pages, understandably, cough.) The videos need to be properly organized. I can link to the main thread in there as well so people can get the articles, etc. Please share your thoughts on this. Thank you. If I have to share the thread with other media, I’ll comply, lol. Or I can just post them here in segments actually.

Last edited:
I have seen their videos posted on various international news outlets. As soon as I get caught up I’d like to post all these videos as I mentioned. I was thinking about starting a media thread for videos only with your approval, that way I can power post away and bring all the videos forward because there are SO many videos that are so important for reference and you get the visual which sometimes can’t be described in words. I don’t want the video thread to be a standard media thread, though, because there are just too many articles and I think we have the articles covered very well here in a timely fashion (and I’m BURNED out on organizing articles after this (insert link). The videos need to be properly organized. I can link to the main thread in there as well so people can get the articles, etc. in here. Please share your thoughts on this. Thank you. If I have to share the thread with other media, I’ll comply, lol. Or I can just post them here in segments actually.

Yes! I'm a big YouTube fan, my millennial daughter turned me onto it. I watch more YouTube than regular broadcast TV and Cable. I would get rid of cable now but my husband cant' part with it, yet.

WHO to hold press conference on outbreak

World Health Organization officials are holding a press conference at 10 am to update the public on the new coronavirus outbreak

I am so impressed with Dr. Tedros. He really thinks carefully about the words he uses and what he DOES say goes far, moo, for example his reply to the question about Hong Kong medical workers striking, and really all his answers to the reporters’ questions. You can tell he has a big heart and there’s a reason why he’s in that position as WHO Director. Dr. Mike is quite brilliant too, as well as Dr. Maria. That’s why they’re there.

So, we are looking for “sustained transmission” as far as declaring a pandemic goes, per Dr. Fauci, moo.

Racing to catch up.

Yes! I'm a big YouTube fan, my millennial daughter turned me onto it. I watch more YouTube than regular broadcast TV and Cable. I would get rid of cable now but my husband cant' part with it, yet.

Okay, will do. :)

Ps I’m getting rid of my cable lol.

Global coronavirus death toll rises to at least 638; confirmed cases now more than 31,000 • 8 Americans diagnosed with virus on cruise ship quarantined in Japan
• 2 more State Dept.-chartered evacuation flights leave Wuhan for US

I'd love to subscribe!

In one video he says the best part about being stranded on the cruiseship is the fancy Japanese toilet with the heated seat and all the different buttons ahahaha

It’ll take me some today to find them but I’ll be sure to post them.

Last edited:

I'd love to subscribe!

They are cute too, but I've fallen in love with Ben, (he's single and :p:p:p:p) the guy that UK News 4 is following on their NEWS channels as they have followed him since the lockdown in Wuhan, and followed him daily since through his quarantine in UK. He has 11 posts that are captured in a playlist at
Here is today youtube.

Inside Quarantine: Ben realises his mask is upside down and news on return to teaching

Wuhan coronavirus: China dispatches bleach trucks to spray down cities - Business Insider
a hydrogen peroxide-based cleanup product that was originally developed to neutralize biological and chemical warfare agents, but is now being sent to at least six different hospitals around China, both inside and outside Hubei province. D7 kills viruses on hard surfaces as well as textiles for up to eight hours, before it degrades into non-potable water, making it far more long-lasting than a bleach and water spray.

There’s also a British guy, I wanted to note that he says moo a friend says she is scared for her Chinese boyfriend (from Wuhan I think) in Germany, stuff he’s enduring there, xenophobia, etc., so she wants him to come back because she says he’ll be safer in Wuhan :eek:

Then there’s the Canadian family...
I’m glad to see the husband was able to go with the rest of the family.

One thing GREAT that the Irish teacher said about being scared was basically why panic and relive the fear twice. If he ends up getting it, then he lives it twice, or something like that.

Btw why does he wear goggles to go out? I haven’t heard reference to that elsewhere by medical experts who have been commenting.

Because you can get germs in the eye?
Whenever I see signs it says cover mouth , nose and eyes.

I thought it was clever he was doing that but maybe I am wrong?

What we know about the three cruise ships that had their travels disrupted by coronavirus

• The one docked in Japan: The Diamond Princess is anchored off the coast of Yokohama, near Tokyo, with 1,045 crew and 2,666 passengers — including 428 Americans — on board. At least 61 people on board have been infected. The vessel has been quarantined since Tuesday, and passengers are expected to remain under quarantine for at least 14 days — so roughly 11 more days.
  • The one docked in Hong Kong: The World Dream, is docked at Hong Kong's Kai Tak Cruise Terminal with more than 3,600 passengers and crew members on board. A Hong Kong Department of Health official said 33 crew members had shown symptoms of illness at varying degrees, although most had tested negative for the coronavirus. All passengers will have to remain on board until "we complete the quarantine work," the official said — but it's unclear how long that could take.
  • The one without a port: In the middle of the East China Sea, the Westerdam is struggling to find a port to dock at after being turned away from both Taiwan and Japan over fears of passenger contamination. The company that operates the line said it has no reason to believe there are any cases of coronavirus on board. The cruise is in the middle of a 30-day voyage (it initially left Singapore on January 16), and it's not clear when or where it could dock.

Hong Kong healthcare workers end five-day strike over coronavirus handling

Thousands of workers have been on strike for five days, demanding that the Hong Kong government close all borders with mainland China and take further emergency measures against the virus.

In a press statement released on Friday, the Hong Kong Hospital Authority Employees Alliance said that more than 7,000 members voted in a poll to decide whether to continue the strike and 4,000 members voted against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14