GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not to go off subject, but one should NEVER drink from the faucet in Central America. You should even use bottled water to brush your teeth. You’ll end up on the show Monster Inside Me.

Sorry - off topic - is tapeworm the issue? A friend had a tape worm and it was the last thing that was suspected for almost 2 years.

He was most likely being defensive in responding to negative reviews of his property. Those reviews could cost him money by losing business. Murdering a client and burying her on (near) his property is definitely a business killer. Don’t seriously think he is involved.
However, I'm pretty confident he won't be in business any longer, anyway.

This is going to be bad news, at least temporarily, for Airbnb, and for Costa Rican tourism, IMO.

Is Airbnb Safe? We Analyzed 1021 Horror Stories to Find Out

This is actually very interesting reading about Airbnb. I have never stayed in one, I briefly considered it, but I prefer the anonymity of a hotel. I am not social, and can imagine some nosy owner who wants to "chat". No. So, I decided against it.

But this link is amazingly scary! The owners don't have to even be verified with government identification. You could be making a reservation to stay with a rapist! No background checks on the owners!

Not blaming the victim here, who would know this information about Airbnb unless you really researched. Wow. I would have never thought this company had these issues, until I looked it up.

This is actually very interesting reading about Airbnb. I have never stayed in one, I briefly considered it, but I prefer the anonymity of a hotel. I am not social, and can imagine some nosy owner who wants to "chat". No. So, I decided against it.

But this link is amazingly scary! The owners don't have to even be verified with government identification. You could be making a reservation to stay with a rapist! No background checks on the owners!

Not blaming the victim here, who would know this information about Airbnb unless you really researched. Wow. I would have never thought this company had these issues, until I looked it up.

I haven't read the article yet, but it seems to be the same story as Uber - people placing themselves in the hands of strangers who have never been vetted.

However, I'm pretty confident he won't be in business any longer, anyway.

This is going to be bad news, at least temporarily, for Airbnb, and for Costa Rican tourism, IMO.
Yes I agree with you on that. There is way too much negative attention for this place now. My point is beforehand, I'm doubting an owner of a property would kill someone staying/renting his property just because that's not very good business strategy.

The guard, on the other hand...bet he didn't know Carla had told someone she was going to ask a guard for some water. That, imo, is a definite clue as to who had contact with her during the time she could have been harmed.

I haven't read the article yet, but it seems to be the same story as Uber - people placing themselves in the hands of strangers who have never been vetted.
Uber drivers are rated on a up-to 5 star system, with years of experience listed, name of driver and readable reviews. Then, in turn can be rated by yourself after driving with them. I find that to be a plus for using this system. My daughter and son-in-law used Uber to drive them into NYC to the hospital to give birth to my grandson. They don't own a car.

I don't believe the owner actually stays in the house while the renters are there. They actually, mostly give up their own home to be used as a place to stay the night... often when they will be away. At least that's how it used to work.

OT My hubby pretty much felt the same with a few bed and breakfasts we have stayed in throughout the country. In THAT case, the owner is present and can be a Chatty Kathy. He was not a fan.

Not to go off subject, but one should NEVER drink from the faucet in Central America. You should even use bottled water to brush your teeth. You’ll end up on the show Monster Inside Me.
Touché, omg that SHOW!!

Uber drivers are rated on a up-to 5 star system, with years of experience listed, name of driver and readable reviews. Then, in turn can be rated by yourself after driving with them. I find that to be a plus for using this system. My daughter and son-in-law used Uber to drive them into NYC to the hospital to give birth to my grandson. They don't own a car.

I did read that when it was a plastic surgery recovery center, there were 9 rooms, and now there are 7. That came from the tripadvisor links.

Another point about the only reviews in several years is that the three similar negative comments are about the Airbnb trying to get money from them after they arrived. Unfortunately, none of the complainants give detail.

Could that be the security guard who tries to get more money? How long has the security guard been working there? If it was the security guard who was trying to get extra money from the guests, why does the owner Raymond reply with claims that the the women never stayed at his Airbnb?

Sorry - off topic - is tapeworm the issue? A friend had a tape worm and it was the last thing that was suspected for almost 2 years.
Yes or some such parasite/bacteria

The only Monster Inside Me I can really remember was the military guy who pulled a four foot worm out of his butt.

Edited for mistake

So sorry to read about the body found.
I don't like to cast doubts on others ... but I feel like she'd have been safer with friends.
Still not sure why she stayed behind one more day ? And moved from her previous hotel/AirBnB ?
For just that one night ?
Trying to put a timeline together for her last movements. Poor Carla. :(

Maybe it was the original plan to stay that long and her friend had pay to bail a day early. She didn't want to. Maybe she found an Air BnB closer to the airport. I don't find anything unusual about any of this at all, and I don't think there's anything more to this than what appears. She was taken advantage of by some lowlifes and her life ended. :(

I don't believe the owner actually stays in the house while the renters are there. They actually, mostly give up their own home to be used as a place to stay the night... often when they will be away. At least that's how it used to work.

It can actually work both ways. I have only stayed at one where the owners were not there, but I have friends who have stayed at them when the owner has been in the house.

I’m trying to catch up. My heart goes out to her family. (I understand there hasn’t yet been a positive ID).

Did Carla change over from a hotel she had been staying at with her sister-in-law to an AirBnB for that last night? If so, does anyone know why?

Was the owner of the AirBnB residing at the location, or did they just rent it out?

They have a security guard on staff - wouldn’t there be CCTV cameras?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahartley1978
Back