GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've used Air BnB...and you can choose your own experience. You can rent a room in a house, a guest house on private property with the host living in the main house, an apartment, or even a private studio or house. I always choose completely private/separate accommodations. I've had positive experiences/nothing scary. I'm a single female and used to living alone/traveling alone and I'm not going to change my behaviors out of fear. In addition, speaking to earlier posts, I've often stayed in an Air BnB 3-4 nights, then changed my last night to a different location for various reasons; at times it's moving my daughter back to college/San Diego and we stay at the beach 3 days but the last night she's not with me so I go for a cheap hotel near the airport. At times I've stayed a day later to have a mini-vacation for myself, after the hectic college move-in. Nothing this person did (at least to me) seemed odd.

Very sad and disturbing that something went very wrong :(

It can actually work both ways. I have only stayed at one where the owners were not there, but I have friends who have stayed at them when the owner has been in the house.
Yes, Airbnb is a great platform and so popular, some places that would otherwise have to register as hotels are using it.

From ages 4 to 11, I lived in Costa Rica. Oh yes, us kids had all sorts of parasites. I also had tapeworm, finally cured after a recommendation to eat a can of papaya seeds each day, recommended by some holistically inclined neighbor. It worked. To this day I cannot stomach papaya seeds. However, it seems I have a great immune system, and can drink the water from anywhere without issues.

Carla, just horrendous that she should find herself in this particular Airbnb.......frightening and chilling. My heart aches for her family.
I believe too the 5 am pickup was BS, and that the security guard is responsible for this awful tragedy.

I did read that when it was a plastic surgery recovery center, there were 9 rooms, and now there are 7. That came from the tripadvisor links.

Another point about the only reviews in several years is that the three similar negative comments are about the Airbnb trying to get money from them after they arrived. Unfortunately, none of the complainants give detail.

Could that be the security guard who tries to get more money? How long has the security guard been working there? If it was the security guard who was trying to get extra money from the guests, why does the owner Raymond reply with claims that the the women never stayed at his Airbnb?
Could you please link regarding information on the Airbnb, if possible?

I’m trying to catch up. My heart goes out to her family. (I understand there hasn’t yet been a positive ID).

Did Carla change over from a hotel she had been staying at with her sister-in-law to an AirBnB for that last night? If so, does anyone know why?

Was the owner of the AirBnB residing at the location, or did they just rent it out?

They have a security guard on staff - wouldn’t there be CCTV cameras?
BBM

That. ^^^

I’m trying to catch up. My heart goes out to her family. (I understand there hasn’t yet been a positive ID).

Did Carla change over from a hotel she had been staying at with her sister-in-law to an AirBnB for that last night? If so, does anyone know why?

Was the owner of the AirBnB residing at the location, or did they just rent it out?

I'm sortof imagining a gated community where houses are owned and some may just be rented out via Air BnB.

Also, as I mentioned before, maybe she just switched to the Air BnB because it was cheaper or closer to the airport or both?

She and her SIL were staying at a resort on the coast, 2-3 hours drive away. They came back so her sister could catch her flight, but Carla's flight was the next day, so she booked the Airbnb about a half hour from the airport, at the edge of a suburb of the capital city.

Wondering what Carla meant with this post on her instagram? Facetious or not? Anybody know why Carla extended her stay for one day rather than return with her sister-in-law? Perhaps she met somebody of interest to her?
carla_margarita Future resident of Costa Rica
#Puravida #centroamerica

Carla Margarita on Instagram: “Future resident of Costa Rica #Puravida #centroamerica”

On the other hand....

The OIJ spokesperson is confirming Carla left with her belongings early Wed. morning. Is this confirmation based on video or just the owner’s and Uber driver’s words? It is “presumed” she left for the airport. Perhaps she trusted somebody who she thought was going to give her a final tour before taking her to the airport?

The Mysteries About The Case of Carla Stefaniak, The Tourist Gone Missing In Costa Rica

Snip

The family told CBS News in Miami that they have spoken to the owners of the AirBnB in Escazú, where she was spending her last night in San Jose to catch her flight the following day, and the Uber driver she traveled with. They believe Carla got into an unknown car and left the area where she was staying early Wednesday morning.

Marisel Rodríguez, OIJ spokeswoman, confirmed that Carla left the Airbnb on Wednesday morning. She left with all her luggage, presumably bound for the airport. That was her last known movement.

“From what is known is that she left the house at approximately 5:00 am (on Wednesday). She took all her belongings and nothing more has been heard of her. The relatives were waiting for her in the US. The investigators initiated the investigation and have carried out several diligences. No specific details are known,” Rodríguez said.
So, did she check in for her flight or not as previously reported?

So, did she check in for her flight or not as previously reported?

She did. The Heavy article indicated this; I'm linking again for Everyone's perusal.

Burton flew out of Costa Rica on November 27. Stefaniak was supposed to fly out the next day, Thursday, November 28. She checked in to her flight but never arrived and has been missing in the Central American country for six days.

BBM

Carla Stefaniak: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

What do we know about the Airbnb? Is it a group of building/rentals, or 7 rooms in one building? If this was a group of separate buildings, maybe only her power was out, and that was the start of something.
I'm more interested in the "damaged" security cameras. Or were the security cameras out due to the power outage as well?

Could you please link regarding information on the Airbnb, if possible?

Sorry. I remembered that the link was posted on page 4 of this discussion, but it is no longer there - must have been mistaken. Hopefully someone else has the link. This is all I have - a google search of an address, not yet verified as accurate. The property backs onto a nature reserve - not sure whether this is accurate and if so, which property the body was found. Maybe someone with knowledge of addresses in Costa Rica can help.

Google Maps

I've been on doctor's appointments all day and I could not check my phone until now, they found her, dead, oh dear!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahartley1978
Back