GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Having lived in both CR and Nicaragua, I can comment on this a little. Costa Rica is actually not that safe. Nicaragua prior to this year was safer. While people don't generally disappear, in the cases of home invasions (happens a decent amount in CR) and robberies, about 75% of the time there was some sort on involvement with security or guards. Usually some sort of set up. People weren't usually hurt although I can definitely recall rape occurring at least once.
When I lived in Nicaragua the power went out fairly frequently. I remember the first time it did I went outside and my landlady flipped out at me because that is the time you will tend to be attacked. She told me that is when I need to sit inside and make sure my door was locked. Now this was considered at the time a relatively safe time, especially in comparison to CR.
Like I said I have no idea what could have happened, but wandering around with all your luggage makes you a huge target for robbery at the very least. I highly doubt this is human trafficking, there are tons girls from about 12 years and up who work as prostitutes in CR and Nicaragua. They are everywhere if you have ever visited and/or lived in either country.

Funny. When we were in Costa Rica, we were told several comments by citizens that seemed like they were prejudiced against Nicaraguans.

At the time we were there, maybe 10 years ago, you had to have $400,000 in the bank in order to live in CR if you were American.

7 min ago: "JUST IN: Spokesman for family of missing Florida woman Carla Stefaniak tells me the family has left the morgue and hasn't identified a body found in Costa Rica. More details soon, they hope. @WFLA."

Possibly the body was in too bad condition?

7 min ago: "JUST IN: Spokesman for family of missing Florida woman Carla Stefaniak tells me the family has left the morgue and hasn't identified a body found in Costa Rica. More details soon, they hope. @WFLA."
That is interesting the way it is worded. Does this mean they were not able to identify the remains, or that they were not given the opportunity? Rhetorical question, I know.

I don't know... family posted on the Finding Carla page "6 hours ago" that they were on their way to ID the body. Now "one hour ago," the page says "no update; still awaiting confirmation." Would she really not be recognizable? If so, then why would they be brought in for ID purposes? So sad.
Actually, I can't find anything now. Last post is from yesterday afternoon.

Story from the person who was to pick her up at the airport in the US:

Jaime parked her car at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Nov. 28 and went inside to wait for her friend.

“I went to pick her up at the airport,” Jaime said. “We wanted to have a dinner for her birthday with all her friends. I just had a weird feeling even before I got to the airport. Carla is always on the phone. I started sending her birthday messages and no one had heard from her at all. That’s very unlike her.”

“I saw everyone arrive,” she said. “They all took their bags and left. And she was not there. I stayed at the airport and talked to all the agents. One finally told me she was not on the plane. I freaked out.”

Jaime called her friend’s family, then the U.S. Embassy in Costa Rica.

Another friend emailed the owner of the Airbnb.

“He asked a guard at the property and the guard said he saw her leaving in an Uber at 5:10 a.m.,” Jaime said. “We checked her email and she did not take an Uber at 5:10 a.m. Then they changed the story that it was a taxi at 5:30 a.m. I wish I knew the facts.”

The night before her flight was to leave, Stefaniak was Facetiming with a friend in New York when the call dropped about 9 p.m.

“He tried to Facetime her twice and he couldn’t get through,” Jaime said. “He thought the phone died or the reception was bad. Before the call dropped she said to him, ‘I’m thirsty. I’m going to ask the guard to buy me some water.’”

Missing Hallandale woman’s family at morgue in Costa Rica, waiting to ID body, friend says

Putrefaction of a corpse begins pretty quickly. Since she's been missing since November 27, and the climate there is tropical, it's possible the decomposition is advanced enough to have doubts when looking at the body.

We are used to tv, when a parent has to go to the morgue and identify a body that was recently killed just hours ago. There the body is kept in a temperature controlled climate.

In CR, you got heat, humidity, bugs, animals, bloating, skin darkening. Outside a cold climate... the body can be almost completely recognizable ... even to family in a week.

We are used to tv, when a parent has to go to the morgue and identify a body that was recently killed just hours ago. There the body is kept in a temperature controlled climate.

In CR, you got heat, humidity, bugs, animals, bloating, skin darkening. Outside a cold climate... the body can be almost completely recognizable ... even to family in a week.

Yep. I've unfortunately seen a lot of this lately as I'm in a forensic and medicolegal death investigation class. Decomposition can be so different depending on climate.

Her official FB missing page has a post from "one hour ago": Finding Carla. There is a pinned post from yesterday at the top, but if you scroll down, you can see the most recent posts (1 and 6 hours ago as of now).
I know... i have scrolled down and down and nothing. Last post (for me) is from 23 hours ago. Maybe it's just me :(

I know... i have scrolled down and down and nothing. Last post (for me) is from 23 hours ago. Maybe it's just me :(
From 2 hours ago:

"No updates as of yet. We are all still waiting for confirmation. The wait is so painful but all the love and support for Carla and the family is beyond amazing! We will update everyone as soon as we know! Thank you so much!
2764.png
"<3 #FindingCarla

From 2 hours ago:

"No updates as of yet. We are all still waiting for confirmation. The wait is so painful but all the love and support for Carla and the family is beyond amazing! We will update everyone as soon as we know! Thank you so much!
2764.png
"<3 #FindingCarla
So it is me. So weird! Thank you.

I'm curious to know where you live. No murders there?

In all fairness, she DOES have to live somewhere, and DOESN’T have to travel elsewhere. Most of us live in the safest place we can find; it’s a little harder to find a foreign country that is safe for women traveling alone-or make that people traveling alone. Some of these resorts are advertised as safe and beautiful places, where you shouldn’t have to worry. I think Costa Rica is one of those places. My husband’s cousin and her family live in Belize and there are places they won’t go

So it is me. So weird! Thank you.
Welcome. I also scrolled down below the photos and found the post from earlier today about the family going to the morgue to ID remains. And in many of the posts, it does sound like family is speaking directly. One post said this is Greg, for example. Anyway, it is a long time for them to wait to hear if it's her or not.

ETA Typos

Isabel Rosales on Facebook
Just did an interview with long-time family friend of Carla Stefaniak, [GZ]. [GZ] has been in Costa Rica since day one, with [CC], as [CC] retraces his sister's last steps.

[GZ] tells me they were at morgue ready to identify body found last night but then were told by U.S. Embassy they needed more time for autopsy and to go back to hotel until they're finished. Right now it's a waiting game and [GZ] tells me "The wait is the most emotionally devastating part."

[GZ] tells me there are clues that give them hope it's not her. There are others that it is. They're holding onto hope right now.

They family knew something was off about the guard’s story, so they checked her work computer for Uber receipts there were two from Nov. 27, the trip from the airport and the trip around downtown. Nothing showed a trip at 5 a.m.

Then the guard’s story changed. It wasn’t an Uber, she called a taxi.

So, the family contacted T-Mobile. The only activity they saw outside of known calls was a small spike in data around 12 a.m. A spike similar to someone shutting off a phone.

Florida woman Carla Stefaniak still missing in Costa Rica as grim details arise

They got those phone records so fast! How'd they do that?

Father of Carla Stefaniak who Went Missing in Costa Rica Hopes Body Found is not his Daughter - Costa Rica Star News

[CC], father of Carla Stefaniak, the 36-year-old tourist that went missing in Costa Rica November 28, arrived at the Forensic Science building in San Joaquín de Flores, Heredia, the morning of this Tuesday, December 4. Samples of his blood were taken to be compared with the DNA of the woman whose body was found buried yesterday in the same area where his daughter was last seen.

[CC], offered statements to the media, ¨I have hope that the body found is not my daughter´s , even when it was found close to where she disappeared¨.

Federico Jenkins, a lawyer for the complex where Stefaniak stayed, said in a statement that the owners are cooperating with authorities and the facility is temporarily closed.

Here is the full statement:

"Since 2013, Villa Le Mas has operated a small vacation rental facility located at San Antonio, Escazu, Costa Rica. We have received over a thousand guests with wonderful reviews about the property and our service.

We are deeply saddened and devastated by the tragic events that occurred last week. The owners are fully cooperating with the authorities in the investigation and we hope that once the facts are determined, the perpetrator is brought to justice.

Our deepest sympathies are with the family of the victim of this horrible crime.

While the investigation is ongoing, and since the focus of the owners is the comfort of our guests, the facility has been temporarily closed."

Missing Florida woman's family to ID body found in Costa Rica

So even though she hasn’t officially been identified, the proprietors are referencing an event from last week (which is when Carla disappeared). Assuming there aren’t any other missing women who could be buried there, we can assume that the poor woman whose body was found, is Carla?

So even though she hasn’t officially been identified, the proprietors are referencing an event from last week (which is when Carla disappeared). Assuming there aren’t any other missing women who could be buried there, we can assume that the poor woman whose body was found, is Carla?
Just to note, there is another woman's body (parts) that was/were found in the same area in early November of this year.

Remains Found in Escazu Correspond to a 28 Year-Old Woman - Costa Rica Star News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dp203dumpspdf
Back