GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How does the Uber driver know she left at 5am in an "unknown car"? Why was he there?
That's likely a poorly written report, the reporter probably had to keep it brief. IMO it's likely the Uber driver has said "it wasn't my car."

I posted earlier, 5:30 am was sunrise. I can imagine a scenario where this Uber driver promised to take her to a scenic spot where she could watch the sunrise in Costa Rica on her birthday. But there's other scenario's as well, none of them good.

1. Why did her SIL leave a day early/ why did Carla stay in Costa Rica alone at a sketchy AirBnB(not victim blaming, trying to figure out if there are other circumstances)
2. Am I understanding right that she was with this Uber driver for several hours on Tuesday? It sounds like she returns a rental car, sees her SIL off, the patient Uber driver then gives her a tour (drives around with her for hours) before dropping her off at the AirBnb that evening...

They make it sound like she did get into an unkown car at 5 in the morning.

Not good at all :(
Maybe because the power was off so she wanted to get out of there. If it was off (and on) all night she may have lost patience. But still no explanation as to how someone knew to pick her up or if it was someone she called. Or related to owner of the rental house.

Last edited:
Miami woman ‘vanishes’ from an Airbnb in Costa Rica. Her family needs your help

(bbm)
“Stefaniak dropped [AB] off at the airport in San Jose on Nov. 27 and returned their rental car. Stefaniak then took an Uber to an Airbnb about 30 minutes from the airport,” said [KG] , the family’s spokesperson. “The same Uber driver drove Stefaniak sightseeing and shopping.”

According to Stefaniak’s family, the family has since spoken to the Uber driver, who shared the same story as the Airbnb owner and local security guards: that Stefaniak was seen leaving the rental around 5 a.m. with her luggage and then hopping into a mysterious car.

“The Uber driver arrived around 8 a.m. to pick up Stefaniak but could not find her,” [KG] said. “However, her family says the story does not make sense since her flight was not until that afternoon and the airport was only 30 minutes away. And since she had already used that Uber driver the day before, why would she have called a different Uber?”

Florida woman vanishes in Costa Rica, family says

Snip

Stefaniak was on a trip to celebrate her birthday with her sister-in-law and friend, April Burton. After the girls' five-day trip, Burton returned to the States on Tuesday, and Carla was scheduled to head back the next day due to previous arrangements. However, when Stefaniak never got off the plane on Wednesday, her family knew something was wrong.

Snip

The night before her flight, Stefaniak took an Uber ride around the town and then was dropped off at an AirBNB. There, she Facetimed a friend from New York, telling him she was thirsty and was going to find a drink.

"[She said,] ‘I'm just going to ask the guards to buy me a bottle of water,’" said Burton. "He said her phone died, and that was the last we heard from her."

Her phone has been almost completely dark since 9 o'clock Tuesday night, except for a brief moment when it came back on just past midnight. The guards at the AirBNB told Stefaniak's family she checked out of her villa at 5:10 a.m., but her family said something doesn't add up.

4 days in I just don't see how we're gonna have a good ending here :(

Everyones story is hinky. The airbnb, the Uber driver, the guard. Why would she leave at 5 am in a random car? How would the Uber driver even know that?

The past reviews of the airbnb are concerning to say the least. They've already pulled it from the website.

Last edited:
Mr. Uber driver was there at 5:10 am...

Had she called him?

So he watched while she got into another vehicle.

Um, okay.
Obviously something has gotten mixed up in the story. The info is coming via an upset relative who doesn't speak the language, and then published by a confused and careless journalist.

I can see leaving for the airport super early if she was creeped out there. Personally, I tend to be very, very early for things, as well as leaving super early on the morning, and sometimes I just want to get somewhere I know I need to be and wouldn’t mind hanging out at an airport for hours to avoid traffic, especially when I want to ensure I get my flight to my country. I know this is not how most people operate and obviously something didn’t go right. Her family thinks this is odd and doesn’t make sense, but again if she felt like the place was creepy it could have happened.
Maybe the strange car was a type of supposed cab. I know people say in certain countries to be extremely careful about cabs and that drive-by kidnappings are a very real concern.
Hopefully things straighten out soon.

“”She checked in for the flight but she never got on it," said AB.”

I wonder if this airline company allowed mobile/online check in up to 24 hours before, etc., for Costa Rica
I would imagine if she ever got to the airport, she’d be on camera or the airline would eventually confirm it. I’m sure everything is in beginning stages and not everything is public, but I found the fact that she checked in to be interesting. Maybe that’s why her phone turned back on at midnight or what not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justice77
Back