Coworkers leave man on Colorado mountain overnight after office retreat

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score

Fifteen hikers on an office work retreat in Colorado’s San Isabel National Forest left one man behind, who went on to survive a night on a mountain while injured.

He reached the summit at about 11:30 a.m., according to the Chaffee County SAR, but became disoriented when he went to descend the mountain. When he looked for items left in the boulder field to mark the descending path, they were gone: The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down.

This statement from the article above, worried me:
"The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down." *

Was picking-up the path markers a requirement?
Perhaps the group didn't realize that he was not with them, or they figured he was close behind.
I understand that picking up the markers was possibly a requirement so that other hikers wouldn't get confused.
Hoping for good news soon.

* from -- "Office retreat gone wrong: Co-workers leave man on Colorado mountain overnight"

This statement worried me a bit:
"The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down." *
The group must have thought that he was on his way and not far behind.
I can see that leaving markers behind might confuse another climbing group.
It may be that cleaning up the markers was a rule so that a different group wouldn't get confused with their trek.

* from: Office retreat gone wrong: Co-workers leave man on Colorado mountain overnight

Nice. I had to go on an office retreat once, it was beyond dysfunctional. Another time, I had to participate in a "ropes" course. That was also a terrible experience. But of course, we all pretended to have a great time and sang "Kumbya" at the end.

I hope this guy sues and gets a boatload of cash.

Nice. I had to go on an office retreat once, it was beyond dysfunctional. Another time, I had to participate in a "ropes" course. That was also a terrible experience. But of course, we all pretended to have a great time and sang "Kumbya" at the end.

I hope this guy sues and gets a boatload of cash.
I used to work for a small-ish company with 40 or so employees. Most of us were medical professionals, plus a few accounting and clerical. The HR person always seemed to hire the worst employees, very few of us could actually work together as a team. Most were backstabbers, liars, passive aggressive or just plan aggressive. A totally toxic work environment. I escaped from there as soon as I found a better place to work.

This company frequently scheduled team building events. I can totally see most of these former coworkers ditching someone on a mountain.

Fifteen hikers on an office work retreat in Colorado’s San Isabel National Forest left one man behind, who went on to survive a night on a mountain while injured.

He reached the summit at about 11:30 a.m., according to the Chaffee County SAR, but became disoriented when he went to descend the mountain. When he looked for items left in the boulder field to mark the descending path, they were gone: The previous group had picked up the path markers on their way down.
Not only did it fail as a '"team building" event, but it sadly turned into quite the opposite.
I wonder what the dynamics of the group was before the event?
Was the intention to bring employees closer or was it to try to mend fences?

Thankfully, he was found alive the next day. I don't know what condition he is currently in.
He told rescue workers he was in a different area than where they had searched and that he had been disoriented on his descent and had fallen at least 20 times. After his last fall, he was unable to get back up.

"Rescue workers were able to rescue the man, who was stabilized before being transported to a hospital, according to Chaffee County SAR.
“This hiker was phenomenally lucky to have regained cell service when he did, and to still have enough consciousness and wherewithal to call 911. Though he was located in a tertiary search area, it would have been some time before teams made it to that location on their own,” Chaffee County Search and Rescue South said.
The agency reminded hikers to always hike with a partner, pack bright clothing and remember to pack the 10 essentials, some of which include food and water, first-aid supplies, warm clothing and a lighting source."

How could his group have left him alone on a cold and rainy mountain?

Team Building Event = F-

JMO

Maybe they thought he left early. We would really have to know more about the dynamics of the situation. What happened.

Maybe they thought he left early. We would really have to know more about the dynamics of the situation. What happened.
no because in the story, he contacts the coworkers twice when he is lost to get help finding his way.
(I am curious what kind of company this was and if some of the workers were a lot more fit and used to hiking and some were not and who planned this exercise)

no because in the story, he contacts the coworkers twice when he is lost to get help finding his way.
(I am curious what kind of company this was and if some of the workers were a lot more fit and used to hiking and some were not and who planned this exercise)

Nice people. Not. Bullying on steroids. I bet that they will cover for each other and say they thought he was kidding or some other minimizing story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back