Criminal Defense Attorney for Casey - Linda Kenney Baden

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone please explain to me, the idiot that I am, how an attorney working PRO BONO can withdraw from a case for financial reasons? Please explain it to me like I am five.

Roughly translated: "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this case." jmo

Can someone please explain to me, the idiot that I am, how an attorney working PRO BONO can withdraw from a case for financial reasons? Please explain it to me like I am five.

Roughly translated: "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this case." jmo

I dunno LambChop...I tend to think it is more like, "I have milked this case and free publicity for all it is worth to my benefit. It is now costing me money and my association with current co-counsel is likely to further harm my already fragile reputation. Time for me to bid adieu."

Spiderlady, that answers the WHY she withdrew, imo. As to the HOW - in accordance with FL law, she can withdraw since she has never been paid. She is complaining about JAC guidelines in re. travel allowances (since she is out-of-state). However, she knew the rules and regulations up front and she agreed to stay on after the indigency hearing. She wants to be ANOTHER exception. Seems everybody on the defense side feels they are special and should be treated as an exception to the rules and regs. ugh

Given her passion if LKB had anything up her sleeve....she'd still be there.

So basically if she had something she would be saying, "KC without my help you could get DP as your sentence but because I can't scrape a couple of dollars together to come down for the trial, well, frankly, you are on your own with your "dream team. Good luck, now. And, oh, don't forget to write." jmo

I dunno LambChop...I tend to think it is more like, "I have milked this case and free publicity for all it is worth to my benefit. It is now costing me money and my association with current co-counsel is likely to further harm my already fragile reputation. Time for me to bid adieu."

Spiderlady, that answers the WHY she withdrew, imo. As to the HOW - in accordance with FL law, she can withdraw since she has never been paid. She is complaining about JAC guidelines in re. travel allowances (since she is out-of-state). However, she knew the rules and regulations up front and she agreed to stay on after the indigency hearing. She wants to be ANOTHER exception. Seems everybody on the defense side feels they are special and should be treated as an exception to the rules and regs. ugh

What really bothered me about her motion to withdraw, was that she brought up her departure possibly causing ineffective assistance of counsel appeal issue. Do you think this is her way of strong-arming HHJP into authorizing her expenses or would she be devastated if her motion to withdraw was denied?

LKB said in her Motion to Withdraw that she "believes in the client's innocence to the charges alleged." I believe when AL left, she stated something similar.

What I want to know.... and I'm serious about this.... what is it that makes these people believe KC is innocent?

- Is it the 31 days?
- Is it the parting she did during that time?
- Is it the shopping for herself and her bf du jour?
- Is it the "Bella Vita" tattoo?
- Is it all the lies she told to her family and friends during the 31 days?
- Is it all the lies she told to LE after Caylee had finally been reported missing.... not by her, but by her mother?
- Is it all the evidence found with Caylee that points right back to the Anthony home where KC lived?
- Is it the smell of human decomposition in her trunk?

Seriously.... what is it that would give any of these attorneys even an inkling that KC is innocent of murdering her daughter and throwing her away like trash?

Maybe it is just a matter of a defense attorney being a defense attorney. I know a defense attorney doesn't necessarily care if their client is guilty or innocent, and that their job is to defend their client to the best of their ability and get them acquitted of the charges. But can't they defend her without making these comments that make them look like complete fools in the process?

Because this one really baffles me.

What really bothered me about her motion to withdraw, was that she brought up her departure possibly causing ineffective assistance of counsel appeal issue. Do you think this is her way of strong-arming HHJP into authorizing her expenses or would she be devastated if her motion to withdraw was denied?

Wow - is that really in the realm of a possibility????:waitasec:

LKB said in her Motion to Withdraw that she "believes in the client's innocence to the charges alleged." I believe when AL left, she stated something similar.

What I want to know.... and I'm serious about this.... what is it that makes these people believe KC is innocent?

- Is it the 31 days?
- Is it the parting she did during that time?
- Is it the shopping for herself and her bf du jour?
- Is it the "Bella Vita" tattoo?
- Is it all the lies she told to her family and friends during the 31 days?
- Is it all the lies she told to LE after Caylee had finally been reported missing.... not by her, but by her mother?
- Is it all the evidence found with Caylee that points right back to the Anthony home where KC lived?
- Is it the smell of human decomposition in her trunk?

Seriously.... what is it that would give any of these attorneys even an inkling that KC is innocent of murdering her daughter and throwing her away like trash?

Maybe it is just a matter of a defense attorney being a defense attorney. I know a defense attorney doesn't necessarily care if their client is guilty or innocent, and that their job is to defend their client to the best of their ability and get them acquitted of the charges. But can't they defend her without making these comments that make them look like complete fools in the process?

Because this one really baffles me.

Wasn't she the one that came up with that "ugly coping" defense???? perhaps that is where the answer is???? I'm with you as well.....

I also tend to agree that she really isn't all to passionate about this case....money would never have been the issue---she would have came up with something a bit more......

Wow - is that really in the realm of a possibility????:waitasec:

I don't know LG. I'm hoping that's not the case. I do know that HHJP never issued an order granting or denying ALyon, and has yet to issue an order for LKB.

Maybe it is a simple case of actions speak louder than words and there is nothing to defend.

Plus, don't forget there was money early in this case and LKB agreed to work without reimbursement at the time. There was plenty of money to pay for airline tickets, hotel stays, etc. If she needs money, she too should be asking JB, not the state!!!! But then that was not what she originally agreed to. Now, she has a change of heart. How endearing. jmo

Well, I wonder what she would do if HHJP declined?

I do agree with Beach re the milking of the case and would take it a step further. She is a well known expert in her field but the Phil Spector case did her a lot of damage. Since Mason came on the team, she's had the opportunity to watch Abbot and Costello at work in the courtroom and in the media - she knows the defendant and her refusal to plead, and she's looked over the forensics.

I believe she knows this defense team is going to lose big time, and she doesn't want to be associated with another defendant that will appear to be even more unsympathetic to the jury than Phil Spector. And I think she also knows, when push comes to shove, what we remember is the bad press before the good.

Time to bail...money is just the smokescreen.

BBM

Yeah, I think she is trying to strong-arm not just Judge Perry, but challenge the FL law and the JAC regs. It won't work and she is showing her arrogance in that motion. I totally disagree with the notion that this could be any basis for appeal in re. ineffective counsel. She is just running off at the mouth and full of herself. She acts like there isn't an IN-STATE attorney worthy of doing what she has done.

It is ONLY because of the national publicity that Casey Anthony has been blessed to have such esteemed legal representation for whatever length of time they stayed. (sans Baez :rolleyes:). One of the things that bugs me most is that she has been treated MORE FAIRLY and had BETTER representation than other indigent defendants who have been accused of crimes that have not received 1/100,000th of the exposure of this case. Those are the people that should have a reason to feel slighted. None of that will be lost on the court of appeals, imo.

BBM

Yeah, I think she is trying to strong-arm not just Judge Perry, but challenge the FL law and the JAC regs. It won't work and she is showing her arrogance in that motion. I totally disagree with the notion that this could be any basis for appeal in re. ineffective counsel. She is just running off at the mouth and full of herself. She acts like there isn't an IN-STATE attorney worthy of doing what she has done.

It is ONLY because of the national publicity that Casey Anthony has been blessed to have such esteemed legal representation for whatever length of time they stayed. (sans Baez :rolleyes:). One of the things that bugs me most is that she has been treated MORE FAIRLY and had BETTER representation than other indigent defendants who have been accused of crimes that have not received 1/100,000th of the exposure of this case. Those are the people that should have a reason to feel slighted. None of that will be lost on the court of appeals, imo.

Thank you for that reassurance! I needed that!

Thank you for that reassurance! I needed that!

Not to worry. It is just a brief, cleaned-up version of her Facebook rant. She just included it in a motion for the record. It is still a crock. ;)

Know when to hold em, know when to fold em and she's getting out of the game while she is still ahead. jmo

Know when to hold em, know when to fold em and she's getting out of the game while she is still ahead. jmo

Lordie - you sure come out with some zingers LambChop - please don't ever stop!
:balloons:

What bothers me most about her request for withdrawal is her timing. I've also re-listened to her testimony at Casey's indigency hearing and LKB mentioned nothing at all about receiving "costs/expenses" yet in her motion to withdraw, she does. And, Casey did not disclose that in her affidavits either.

What bothers me most about her request for withdrawal is her timing. I've also re-listened to her testimony at Casey's indigency hearing and LKB mentioned nothing at all about receiving "costs/expenses" yet in her motion to withdraw, she does. And, Casey did not disclose that in her affidavits either.

That's a great point Sun! I haven't been able to go back watch the indigency hearing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scyna0895
Back