CT- Annie Le, missing from Yale, thread #5 FOUND DECEASED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yale Murder Analyzed
[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5311906n"]Yale Murder Analyzed - CBS News Video[/ame]

Yale 'Unnerved' By Murder
[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5311904n"]Yale 'Unnerved' By Murder - CBS News Video[/ame]

:angel:

Just to shine a bit of light on the subject, this is a good description of the type of research that Annie was likely doing...it is from Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_research

Basic research or fundamental research (sometimes pure research) is research carried out to increase understanding of fundamental principles. Many times the end results have no direct or immediate commercial benefits: basic research can be thought of as arising out of curiosity. However, in the long term it is the basis for many commercial products and applied research. Basic research is mainly carried out by universities.

I am NOT putting down basic scientists. I was a basic scientist. Outside of my own lab, few people in the entire university really understood or cared about what I was doing. There were about 5-10 labs in the world doing similar stuff and they could be quite competitive, because everyone wanted to be the first to publish a topic. But the nearest "competitor" was probably about 1000 miles away. We almost never saw each other, except at annual meetings.

Basic research is generally not the type of stuff people are killed for.

That's an excellent explanation. It's not that basic research is less important- it's actually the foundation that all the rest is built on, it's just that it is far less likely to get any media attention than the CURE!! story. Actually I've noticed that basic research is more likely to be mocked by the media- all those "your tax dollars are going to fund this!" stories. That's because they just don't get it.

Have I mentioned I am not a fan of the media? LOL.:)

As much fun as this is, I've gotta get back to some science. Catch you all later.

Angel that Cares, the wfsb link to the article you provided updated at 11:11. It says no arrest expected tuesday, did it say that before update?

Not sure if this has been posted, or even if it's needed, but thought I'd supply it:

medschoolmap_png_900x2000_q85.jpg

what a beautiful young woman, so full of life, promise, and more.
What a senseless way to die.

I pray for her family, fiance and friends. May she rest in peace when justice is served.

RE: Candlelight Vigil
And more than likely the was at this vigil....1,000 people grieving the loss of a bright brilliant light, and darkness lurking beneath the surface at Yale still listing a suspect not known.

The woman never knew of his intentions. He would get depressed around Aug. every year like clockwork. So when he started feeling blue it was no surprise to me until he never came back home. He was diagnosed with OCD, Bi Polar, and a few others throughout his life until he met the Dr that properly diagnosed him with PS. He always bit his nails to the extreme. Ya know how some people just gnaw at their nails? He did but he would bite the skin off to. I thought that it was due to the skin getting dried out and chaffing or callusing up so to speak. So I just thought it was part of his OCD. The Dr told me that he was biting off his fingerprints and trying to alter them so he wouldn't get caught. I still don't trust anyone I don't think. I try really hard to overcome my trust issues but its very hard. He will always be in my life b/c I have 2 AWESOME kiddos with him. It is beyond hard to explain to them why I divorced their dad. At this point they ask why I broke up our family. I just wanna scream it out loud sometimes but I can't fathom what that would do to them to hear that. So I carry the burden and probably always will. I watch them like a hawk for signs of PS or anything else that he may have passed on to them. His mother said that he was very much a loner as a kid but she just thought he was shy. He does take a cocktail of medication on a daily basis. He said he would never stop or he would act on his fantasies. I wish he did talk to the TV or imaginary people then I think I could have handled it. But when you find out that your best friend, the person you trust most in the world wants to be Ted Bundy I think it's time to reevaluate the relationship ya know.The Dr said he had a certain type of PS that serial killers and killers in general have. I looked like that chick from the Linda Blair Project with tears and snot pouring off my chin screaming at this poor Dr telling him over and over "You don't know him I do he's my best friend I sleep next to him every night you don't." Before I was told why exactly he had been committed I had talked to some attorneys and a judge that said this Dr couldn't hold my husband unless he was a threat to society. Of course I was screaming this at the Dr as well that I was gonna sue and cussing him so badly. After a while of this going on the Dr stood up and put his finger at the tip of my nose and screamed Lady you don't know who you sleep next to every night! Then he proceeded to tell me the details and asked my hubby to tell about how he was going to kill some poor woman that he had been stalking. I stopped crying and started gasping for air and fell in the seat behind me. It was like someone ran over me with an 18 wheeler truck. The first question I asked was "Is he gonna hurt my children or me?" The Dr said not likely b/c they look at people in a "robotic" way. He said that generally family members are the last ones to get hurt from these types. But anyone on the "outside" of our family circle would be in grave danger of him.

I want to thank you for your post. I have stories of this happening. it is absolutely amazing to hear the details from someone who went through it.

The Amistad building is 120K sq ft not including the parking garage, which is attached to it. ALL occupants of the building have to have access cards, no matter who they are, and employees have to pass checks b/c of the sensitive nature/material housed at Amistad. Again, I found this last night. I believe it was in an online html or pdf file from just before the opening of the building...maybe the ribbon cutting ceremony? The department heads were there, which are 3, with lead investigators appointed underneath them.

The animal facility in the basement of Amistad and the "Amistad building" referenced in that article are two different entities. People working solely in the animal facility would most likely be subject to whatever screening the animal care department and the university as a whole does. They are not employees of the programs located upstairs in that building.

You are confusing Departments and Buildings, I think. Here is an example-my Department has facilities in 5 separate buildings. I travel to all of them as part of my work and have my own space in 3 of them. I have no idea what other labs or departments are located in those buildings unless I am specifically working with them, and even then I am not subject to their hiring/screening practices. I was hired by my Department and am subject only to their rules and regulations.

One of my buildings is relatively new and opened with the same sort of hype. I'm still over there twice a week with no security check.

That's an excellent explanation. It's not that basic research is less important- it's actually the foundation that all the rest is built on, it's just that it is far less likely to get any media attention than the CURE!! story. Actually I've noticed that basic research is more likely to be mocked by the media- all those "your tax dollars are going to fund this!" stories. That's because they just don't get it.

Have I mentioned I am not a fan of the media? LOL.:)

Yes, can you imagine the reaction from politicians and the media if scientists in the past had gotten research grants today? Of Fleming: "Millions of your tax dollars are being wasted studying MOLDY STUFF!!" Of Mendel: "Millions of your tax dollars for sickly, ugly looking PEA GARDEN!!" Of Darwin: "Millions of your tax dollars spent for ANIMAL-WATCHING JUNKETS!!" Of Goddard: "Lunatic thinks we can actually reach the MOON!!"

Oh wait, the last one was real.

Yes, can you imagine the reaction from politicians and the media if scientists in the past had gotten research grants today? Of Fleming: "Millions of your tax dollars are being wasted studying MOLDY STUFF!!" Of Mendel: "Millions of your tax dollars for sickly, ugly looking PEA GARDEN!!" Of Darwin: "Millions of your tax dollars spent for ANIMAL-WATCHING JUNKETS!!" Of Goddard: "Lunatic thinks we can actually reach the MOON!!"

Oh wait, the last one was real.

This made me laugh the hardest I have in days. It's so true!

I want to thank you for your post. I have stories of this happening. it is absolutely amazing to hear the details from someone who went through it.

Yes. Thank you very much for opening up. I am truly sorry for what must have been one of the most devastating things a spouse or anyone really could have to endure.

You seem to have survived pretty much intact if much wiser for the experience.

I'm curious as to how your ex-husband knew this woman? Did you even know her? Does he still harbor an attachment to her?

Your story has an interesting aspect. How many woman (or men) have murderous stalkers and are unaware of it like the woman in your story? And more so, how many of these stalkers, like your husband, are stopped in the nick of time?

Were I the one being stalked and not knowing I had a stalker following me, I would want to know it if the authorities knew. I shudder to think about an instance where the stalker is released from jail/mental facility, was off his meds, etc. and then decided to finish the job... and there you are, not knowing you were ever in danger and could be in danger again.

First time on this particular forum...good work folks.....can anyone tell me what "inside a wall" meant? Trying to figure out what this means...TIA

Details of Yale student Annie Le's murder to be revealed Tuesday as police close in on arrest
Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 9:55 AM
<snipped>
New Haven police want to throw the cuffs on a lab technician who they believe killed the Yale graduate student by 1 p.m., said police spokesman Joe Avery.

The tech, who the New Haven Register reports is involved in animal testing in Le's lab, failed lie detector tests and has scratches on his chest that suggest he was involved in a struggle.

Cops and FBI agents have interviewed the suspect several times until he stopped answering questions and asked for a lawyer, the Register said.

Le's body was found stuffed in a wall Sunday - her planned wedding day. The medical examiner has held off announcing the cause of death, citing the ongoing murder probe.

Cops "hope" an arrest is imminent in the Annie Le's murder investigation, they said Tuesday morning - as medical examiners prepare to disclose how she was killed.

New Haven police want to throw the cuffs on a lab technician who they believe killed the Yale graduate student by 1 p.m., said police spokesman Joe Avery.

The tech, who the New Haven Register reports is involved in animal testing in Le's lab, failed lie detector tests and has scratches on his chest that suggest he was involved in a struggle.

Cops and FBI agents have interviewed the suspect several times until he stopped answering questions and asked for a lawyer, the Register said.

Le's body was found stuffed in a wall Sunday - her planned wedding day. The medical examiner has held off announcing the cause of death, citing the ongoing murder probe.

New Haven Police guard the police line at the scene where the body of the missing Yale grad student Annie Marie Le, 24, was found stuffed into the basement wall.
alg_annie-le_police-scene.jpg

Article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_..._cause_of_death_hope_to_make_arrest_tues.html

:angel:

First time on this particular forum...good work folks.....can anyone tell me what "inside a wall" meant? Trying to figure out what this means...TIA

In a "chase" that contains pipes, electrical wiring, etc. for the building. There are links to descriptions, diagrams and photos back in this thread- I don't have time to go back and find it now.

The animal facility in the basement of Amistad and the "Amistad building" referenced in that article are two different entities. People working solely in the animal facility would most likely be subject to whatever screening the animal care department and the university as a whole does. They are not employees of the programs located upstairs in that building.

You are confusing Departments and Buildings, I think. Here is an example-my Department has facilities in 5 separate buildings. I travel to all of them as part of my work and have my own space in 3 of them. I have no idea what other labs or departments are located in those buildings unless I am specifically working with them, and even then I am not subject to their hiring/screening practices. I was hired by my Department and am subject only to their rules and regulations.

One of my buildings is relatively new and opened with the same sort of hype. I'm still over there twice a week with no security check.

But that's what I'm finding. From what's online, the Amistad Building is the only research facility of it's kind in America, and within the top 3 in the world, possibly the best in the world. It was set up so that each department would interact with each other, making it easier for the occupants by supplying everything they need in that building, including handlers. This is what is so confusing b/c alot of your experience where you work differs than how it's handled (or how it's set up) at Amistad Street. From what I'm finding out, the smaller rodents are "housed" right there. When I spoke of the departments, it's listed as I found it online from I believe the president of Yale. I see that there's a veterinary clinic at a different location on campus, so that threw me off. But, and this is a big but, the other stuff is to the book with what I keep finding. I know that the animal techs (that I was also considering lab techs, very sorry if I offended anyone) are not part of these research teams. I know they are hired as staff by the university. But, this is where it seems to get confusing, they do have staff that remains at Amistad, animal tech staff that is. I was thinking that each of the 3 departments takes up a certain amount of space, and each would have their own space amoung the animals for experiments. Or am I wrong in thinking that? This is where I'm getting that the perp could be narrowed down, b/c each area of research has their own designated space. Or am I confused all over again.

I have to say, this is the most animated I've been in months! All of you scientists here, I simply cannot thank you enough for every single one of your contributions. While forensics & the intricate nature of pathology concerns me, this dialogue is most interesting! Thank you all so very much for joining Websleuths!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karmalicious478