Silver Alert CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't want to be poor or a POC in the USA. Arrested or not. You have to be truly privileged to believe any system is "the finest" IMO or that only law-breakers are arrested and stuck in prison

MOO MOO!

I agree. I believe gender disparities play into this case, if race and economic class do not. Would Jennifer have gotten any kind of bond release if the facts were similar and Fotis were missing? I doubt it. “When she was good she was very good, and when she was bad she was horrid.” MOO

Though the creator of a Facebook group that discussed the disappearance of Jennifer Dulos claims it was shut down because of trolls or hackers, many are accusing him of being a notorious online menace who could have caused the page’s demise
*After serving 10 years in federal prison for wire fraud schemes, Riches violated his probation by driving without permission from Pennsylvania to Connecticut, where he was accused of impersonating Adam Lanza’s uncle in the days after the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012.
*But many people have since responded on social media, pointing to Riches’ history of being an online troll himself.

Jennifer Dulos Facebook page demise stirs controversy

My gosh!

Appreciate your post but could care less.
Useless fodder, IMO.

As ever, I love it that people here see things differently as it helps me see perspectives I wouldn’t think of otherwise! To me, the dichotomy addressed in that post reminded me that things often are more complicated than they seem. I’m not taking a side on the topic as I have no idea; it just was a good reminder to me to remember that there’s usually more to learn! MOO.

@Jen3135, thanks for this insight! I don't know much about insurance litigation for auto accidents and so far as I could tell from looking at the documents there was no insurance company named (we just see FD and the Plaintiff).

But, I'm not sure if anyone looked to see if FD got a ticket for not having insurance at this time as this would have been a ticket for sure in CT!?! I dont' recall this ticket for no insurance ever being searched but its a good question I think but we know he was definately speeding on I84. We have seen other speeding tickets posted (FL and CT I believe) as FD seems to like to speed.
MOO

My knowledge here is very limited but perhaps helpful—or not. In some states, if you have a surety bond or have enough money as verified by a letter of credit or something from your bank that you can personally pay/handle damages including injuries from an automobile accident, you don’t have to carry insurance through a company. You are self-insured. I’m not sure I could sleep at night doing that but I don’t have that kind of money to qualify anyway!

Its impossible to say but the 2 private mortgages look to be from friends. That could be hugely awkward.

The price on Sturbridge was just reduced by almost $500,000 too recently so depending on the mortgage amts and GF amt held on this property, FO might not get much out if it ever sells. Property probably is still overpriced so once I get the mortgage amts and net out the trade liens and readjust the estimated selling price, it will be possible to see if there is much left over. But the avg time on market in NC is 109 days per Pitt RE: New Canaan Market Report | William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty
MOO

There is so much knowledge on this forum in so many areas—.

Oh, you are quite the clown! HaHa. Given that the civil suit doesn't have fed taxes after 2016 and I believe they asked for more current info, I think claiming children is the least of FDs issue right now with the IRS!

In thinking about the IRS (dark cloud exercise!) I would think that potentially MT could have any number of issues as well between State of CT Rev and IRS.

Its really a toss up in my mind as to which client (FO or HO?) is the hardest to defend as both have substantial issues! Originally I thought the Bowman task was not that challenging but then as the onion got peeled on all the issues that MT was involved with at FORE and the possible addition of financial crimes gets tossed into the mix along with potential civil litigation from GF, then it looks like Atty Bowman has his hands full with defending MT.

I am curious though if the State does bring murder charges do they bring them against both FO and HO or just FO?

MOO

This may be where HO made the trade-off with LE.

She spills all the beans on FO in exchange for a plea to just Tampering.

Or we may get a delightful surprise when all the evidence is revealed.....
HO getting a lesser charge of Murder Two in exchange for testifying and
FO facing the big ole First Degree!

What I wouldn't give for a terrific end-of-summer gift like that!

My sense of Sturbridge is that he absolutely ran out of cash on this project.

House I believe was supposed to have pool and fully built out stone patio and it didn't look like any of that happened (see listing photos here: 61 Sturbridge Hill Road, New Canaan, CT For Sale | William Pitt Sotheby's Realty). Landscaping is minimal too.

For what its worth it looks like the financial music ended on this project and it shows IMO.

MOO
The Sturbridge Hill house is still approximately $100/sq ft more than the average New Canaan sale....$430 vs. $340 average. Of course, the lot is large, but the new owners will need to provide that tennis court or swimming pool....Is there a basement? I couldn't tell from the listing.

If I am reading the chart correctly [New Canaan Market Report | William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty] you posted, the actual sales in New Canaan are down approximately 50% from 2017.

I don't understand the hubris of continuing to construct such expensive homes considering the remote possibility of them selling. This is almost a gambling addiction, IMO...MOO.

There had to be a reason that we collectively haven't figured out yet! But he would have probably had to take cash advances at high rates from 1-2-3 cards I would think and maybe he didn't want to do it?!?

But given the income situation I am curious though if the credit cards are maxed or if cards are in other currencies or if he goes to the local Walmart to pick up wired cash payments or perhaps he sent MT in the past? Many possibilities!

Do we know if the July taxes were paid? Towns are slow to post past due taxes so was going to wait until Sept to look. But given the high profile nature of the situation I wonder if the towns might be a bit more proactive on taxes?

MOO
I looked the other day at the taxes and they seem to have been paid...was not sure who paid them he or Gloria but all the vehicles in his name were also paid which I do not think she would pay those?...

My knowledge here is very limited but perhaps helpful—or not. In some states, if you have a surety bond or have enough money as verified by a letter of credit or something from your bank that you can personally pay/handle damages including injuries from an automobile accident, you don’t have to carry insurance through a company. You are self-insured. I’m not sure I could sleep at night doing that but I don’t have that kind of money to qualify anyway!
Thanks for this. When I first read through the case I thought that might be the case that FD was self insured through FORE. I will go back and see if this is allowed in CT = YES IT IS.

CT politically for the longest time was dominated by the agendas of the insurance companies, many of whom were headquartered in Hartford, CT. Now most of the insurance companies have left the state and are headquartered elsewhere, but the remnents of the legislation they pushed through Hartford remains.

Found this info on insurance, its interesting:

AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS IN CONNECTICUT

Before January 1, 1994, Connecticut had a no-fault insurance law that required private passenger motor vehicle owners to purchase a basic reparations coverage benefit of $5,000. The benefit paid medical expenses and lost wages incurred due to an injury sustained in an automobile accident without regard to who was at fault. In exchange for this benefit, the no-fault law restricted an innocent accident victim's right to sue the person who was at fault.

Public Act 93-297 repealed the no-fault insurance law. As a result, basic reparations coverage is no longer required. Instead, a person injured in an automobile accident because of another's negligent operation of a private passenger motor vehicle can seek compensation for their injuries from the at-fault driver and, if necessary, initiate a personal injury lawsuit to determine fault and the amount of damages to be awarded. Under the terms of a standard automobile insurance policy, an insurer has a duty to defend an insured person and a right to recover any payments it makes to an insured from those at fault.

As of July 2008, 12 states have no-fault insurance laws, according to the Insurance Information Institute: Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Utah.

Insurance or Self-Insurance

The financial security the law requires may be provided through an insurance policy or self-insurance (CGS § 38a-371). Specifically, a person may satisfy the financial security requirement by purchasing an insurance policy complying with state law and issued by or on behalf of an insurer licensed to transact business in the state. If the vehicle is registered in another state, the policy must be issued by or on behalf of an insurer licensed in either this state or the state in which the vehicle is registered.

Alternatively, a person may self-insure, subject to the insurance commissioner's approval. To seek the commissioner's approval, a vehicle owner must provide the commissioner evidence:

1. of his or her, or other appropriate person's, continuing undertaking to perform all obligations imposed by the law;

2. that appropriate provision exists for the prompt and efficient administration of all claims, benefits, and obligations provided under the law; and

3. that reliable financial arrangements, deposits, or commitments exist providing assurance for payment of all obligations the law imposes substantially equivalent to those afforded under an insurance policy complying with the law.

When I was taking all the pictures I had to turn around several times, which meant sometimes I drove for miles in both directions before finding a place or not having something directly on my tail. I got a good look at surrounding area....there are a few very high end homes, most are moderate to nice, and there are even very old/boarded up/condemned ones as well. It was very much a mixed bag. Mountain Spring Road empties out onto the highway directly across from the historic Hill-Stead Museum (a mansion, gardens, and arts center) and it is very near an ultra upscale girls boarding school Jackie Kennedy attended as a girl. Maybe he thought he could start an upward movement in the market in this particular area one property at a time, IDK????
Thank you for the pictures and vivid description of the neighborhood for those of us who cannot get up to Farmington. It is far from Fairfield County and I hope WS readers can appreciate why transporting a body from NC to Farmington/Avon would take some back road research...no one wants to be stuck on the Merritt or I-95 with a body in the trunk. MOO.

This may be where HO made the trade-off with LE.

She spills all the beans on FO in exchange for a plea to just Tampering.

Or we may get a delightful surprise when all the evidence is revealed.....
HO getting a lesser charge of Murder Two in exchange for testifying and
FO facing the big ole First Degree!

What I wouldn't give for a terrific end-of-summer gift like that!
I dug up the State of CT descriptions of Murder charges (just have Murder and Felony Murder so far as I can see). So, MT aka HO picked the wrong state IMO to do what she did! States Atty doesn't appear to have too many options to reduce the charges based on the facts presented in the arrest warrant. But maybe the atty's here can chime in. I would think that it might also depend on whether the murder charges are brought against just FO or if the charges are leveled against FO + HO!

Classification

(Penalty)

Crime

(CGS §)

Mandatory Minimum Sentence

Capital Felony

(execution or life without possibility of release)

Capital felony

(53a-54b)

Execution or life without possibility of release

Class A Felonies—Murder

(25 to 60 years)

Murder

(53a-54a)

25 years

Felony murder

(53a-54c)

25 years

Lesser charges:

Class B Felonies

(1 to 20 years)

Manslaughter 1st degree

(53a-55)

Class C Felonies

(1 to 10 years)

Manslaughter 2nd degree

(53a-56)

CONNECTICUT PENAL CODE-UPDATED AND REVISED

MOO

A previous poster and apologies because I cannot quote nor reply to them questioned whether JD had financially castrated FD and that may have been his undoing. I would imagine that if JD had canceled credit cards and cut off all his financial ties to her including access to debit cards, bank accounts and lines of credit for personal and/or business use may have sent him over the edge. JD had the financial means and apparently her mother knew enough of the scenario to either make it happen or preclude FD from any further financial access. This would have chapped him to no end especially with the paramour and her daughter living under their financial support and suddenly to come to an end despite FD’s best manipulation and legal shenanigans. Knowing the Feds are looking into all his financial and accounting information leads me to believe he had been financially cut off and became desperate.
He never cared about his kids. It was all about the money that JD and her family could provide him and his lifestyle. Once the purse strings were cut he went all out. Lacking access to the funds he needed to live the high life was his undoing. Imo
I have absolutely no doubt that after JD moved out and realized she needed to cut off all financial support to FD and that he would no longer pay anything to help support the children that she definitely:
turned in FD to IRS.
IRS takes these reports seriously and have a
special group which investigates these thieves.
It's called CID- Criminal Investigation Division. They take a tough position of criminals hiding money. And they can take a quick look at Fd's business accounts and see
the writing on the walls.
CID is not your average IRS agent- these people are top of the line investigators and LE
types.
I'm sure CID has FD by the cajones right about
now. So it's not just GF he's fighting but the
US gubmint. He simply will not win.

The Sturbridge Hill house is still approximately $100/sq ft more than the average New Canaan sale....$430 vs. $340 average. Of course, the lot is large, but the new owners will need to provide that tennis court or swimming pool....Is there a basement? I couldn't tell from the listing.

If I am reading the chart correctly [New Canaan Market Report | William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty] you posted, the actual sales in New Canaan are down approximately 50% from 2017.

I don't understand the hubris of continuing to construct such expensive homes considering the remote possibility of them selling. This is almost a gambling addiction, IMO...MOO.

I am with you in not understanding when market conditions are what they are and then to be outside of where the median market house too, makes little sense so something else must be going on with FD/FORE IMO. IDK what it might be yet but it makes little business sense. NC market is soft by any market definition I'm aware of. People do come into the town because of schools/lifestyle/commute etc. but the days of endless appreciation are over and tax increases are an annual and never ending event.

The decision to build in Farmington is a bit more baffling to me as the houses being put up were WAY WAY WAY beyond market avg stats and WAY WAY WAY beyond what the market could absorb over a multiple year period. I really wonder if FD wanted to spend all the Farber money in a way that would be virtually impossible to recoup without taking severe haircuts on sales? Long way of saying he just wanted to piss the Farber money away and make it as painful as possible to recoup any of it? MOO

See attached pdf file for graphics in the Pitt NC report:

New Canaan, CT
July, 2019 | Market Report
Total Homes Sold

20 July 2019
DOWN -35.5% since July 2018 [BBM]
Single Family Homes
Median Sold Price
$1.2M
DOWN -19.0% since July 2018
Average Sold Price
$1.4M
DOWN-21.0% since July 2018
Property Statistics July 2019 July 2018
Average Days on Market 109 146 DOWN-25.6%
Percentage of Asking Price 94% 95% DOWN-0.8%
New Single Family Listings 28 29 DOWN-3.4%
Average Price per Square Foot $340 $364 DOWN-6.7%
Total Homes Sold YTD 94 127 DOWN-26.0%
Total Monthly Inventory July 2019 July 2018
Single Family 406 291 UP+39.5%
Condos/Co-ops 64 39 UP+64.1%
Multi-Family 3 5 DOWN-40.0%
Lots/Land 53 42 UP+26.2%

Attachments

• New Canaan Market Report | William Pitt Sotheby's International Realty.pdf
    263.7 KB · Views: 1
As ever, I love it that people here see things differently as it helps me see perspectives I wouldn’t think of otherwise! To me, the dichotomy addressed in that post reminded me that things often are more complicated than they seem. I’m not taking a side on the topic as I have no idea; it just was a good reminder to me to remember that there’s usually more to learn! MOO.

Well said! We have folks on all sides of most of the issues here and the thread still keeps on rolling even after a few hiccups IMO. Its so great to see as I've been on theads where this sadly isn't the case. I also get the sense that there are a great number of 'innocent until proven guilty' views as well and people that are waiting for States charges to either be filed or not. Makes things interesting! MOO

Do we have any ideas or opinions on why
murder charges haven't been filed yet ?

Any guesses on what information is missing to
connect the dots to fill in the story?

We need some inside information, right?
Where's our buddy at the Htfd. Courant?
Time for another in depth article with some new
information.

PS, you guys are doing a great job dissecting
the case, keep up the great work.

Do we have any ideas or opinions on why
murder charges haven't been filed yet ?

Any guesses on what information is missing to
connect the dots to fill in the story?

We need some inside information, right?
Where's our buddy at the Htfd. Courant?
Time for another in depth article with some new
information.

PS, you guys are doing a great job dissecting
the case, keep up the great work.
Not new articles but well done and worth taking a look IMO as the visual timeline makes understanding all the pieces a bit easier:

Timeline: The day Jennifer Farber Dulos disappeared and the events in the week that followed

Latest article after the most recent hearing and good discussion of gag order motion that is still pending:

Fotis Dulos, estranged husband of missing New Canaan mother Jennifer Farber Dulos, appears in court; judge does not rule on gag order, motion to dismiss

FD will next be in criminal court 9/13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member