GUILTY CT - Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, & 2 daughters killed in home invasion, 23 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Madeleine. I was thinking she was a bit older than that. You're right; unlikely she would be called.

I happen to believe that Komisarjevsky intended leaving them all alive when they initially decided to rob that family, he continued to be forensically aware throughout the crime, if he had any intent on killing them he would not still have his gloves on when arrested, he would have had no need to make Michaela shower to get rid of his semen and DNA, his face would not have been hidden from his victims,

it was Hayes who had left prints and DNA all over the house and on the body of Mrs Petit, it was Hayes who raped and strangled Mrs Petit, Komisarjevsky left his rape victim alive after the attack, it was Hayes who poured the gas and lit the flames he has admitted all that

he is as guilty of murder though as he should have released the girls from there beds instead of watching as Hayes set the fire and trying to flee, he knew at that point that it was highly likely the girls would be killed, but I do fully believe he had no intent to murder that night when he went to rob the house, I do think though that he chose that family because of his sexual interest in young girls knowing there would be young girls in the house

I agree. I don't think JK began the night with the intention to kill anyone. And I find it plausible that SH could have been the one to escalate the violence. It's only SH who can, so far, be clearly tied to murder (strangling the mother and planning/setting the fire, IIRC SH alone bought the gas). And JK did not confess to spreading the gas or starting the fire, and there are no witnesses to testify otherwise. (Unless SH testifies against him.) Still, in the end, JK left the girls to die and I doubt the jury will consider him any less guilty than SH.

gxm, I think that is possible, and I think your facts are correct. I recall testimony in the Hayes trial about gasoline on the cuffs of their pants (can't remember if it was both guys or just one) that they believed was received as that person poured the gas on the floor. I'm sure there will be similar testimony here so we'll see what they say. We will also get the testimony of the text messages between Hayes and JK before the burglary that point to JK as being the leader. Certainly we will likely never KNOW what actually happened in that house that morning. But we and the jury can certainly speculate and/or decide it doesnt matter. Certainly both men had incentive to kill and burn the victims.

It's my understanding that the first of the two offenders to sexually abuse the girls was Komisarjevsky. He sexually assaulted the little girl while Hayes and Mrs. Petit were at the bank. And the gas was not bought until after Hayes had returned with the mother and learned from Komisarjevsky that he sexually assaulted the little girl. Then the rape and murder occurred of the mother after that revelation. And then more than likely they BOTH decided to kill the entire family. I have no illusions that either one did not fully intend for the entire family to die in the fire.

But IMO based on the timeline. The escalation of violence and assaults did not start with Hayes it was started by Komisarjevsky.

very good points!

Yup, to each his own.

The death penalty is intended to be a deterrent to those who consider doing such heinous crimes against innocent people as this most certainly is. If knowledge that one may lose their life for their actions is not enough of a deterrent, than IMO they most certainly deserve to pay the ultimate price.

He choose to tell the tale of his evil deeds. He has nobody but himself to blame for any of this and for anyone else to place blame towards Dr. Petit and his family is ridiculous. He was at home with his family minding his own business. I for one do not blame him one iota for wishing them dead.

Dr. Petit and his loved ones have paid the ultimate price so why should the perpetrators not also? I can't even begin to imagine the images he must have run though his head each nite when he closes his eyes and tries to go to sleep.

day off today, not sure if the judge granted the defence team a 4 day trial, so they could continue with there other clients as they are in private practice

http://www.courant.com/community/ch...jevsky-reprieve-0922-20110921,0,6323772.story

Reprieve a UK non profit organisation helping with his defence, likely for the penalty phase

one of the founders of Reprive is one of my heroes Clive Stafford Smith, he is an English attorney who spent time in the US working as a death penalty defence attorney and tried very hard to save his clients from the death penalty, he made a documentary 14 days in May about the attempt to save a man from being murdered by the state, he did not save his client but the documentary shows just how hard he and his colleagues fought, and how passionate and committed he is to fighting against the DP, and now he fights for his clients rights in Guantanamo and other people who need legal help around the world who are being denied there legal and human rights

day off today, not sure if the judge granted the defence team a 4 day trial, so they could continue with there other clients as they are in private practice

Very common in my district for trials to run monday -thurs. The court needs friday to handle other pending matters. Often times fridays in courts are referred to as "motion day."

Very common in my district for trials to run monday -thurs. The court needs friday to handle other pending matters. Often times fridays in courts are referred to as "motion day."

I stand corrected. One of the defense attorneys did have a 'scheduling conflict' apparantly.

When my cases go to trial Court is almost always dark on Fridays.

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-ed-komisarjevsky-lawyers-20110920,0,2408802.story

I am in a very agreeable mood today as I fully agree with this opinion too

I don't begrudge Komisarjevsky or Hayes the right to Counsel. It is absolutely their constitutional right. That's not what gets the public up in arms.

But standing in open Court and referring to the victims family as a the "Petit posse" is not necessary. Nor is it considered professional. It is possible for Donovan to zealously defend his client but do so in a manner that is both respectful and compassionate to the victims in this case. Donovan has yet to demonstrate that ability.

If Donovan could demonstrate that ability then he might find he would suffer from much less backlash and bricks through his office. Not that I condone such violence.

But as the saying goes, you make your bed ....

Does anyone remember? Which of the two came running out of the burning house last?

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-ed-komisarjevsky-lawyers-20110920,0,2408802.story

I am in a very agreeable mood today as I fully agree with this opinion too

The last sentence of that article states "The point is that they are performing an important service for society and should be praised, not vilified, for it." Yet the previous article you agreed with, the Pattisblog, vilified the prosecuting attorneys for simply doing their jobs. Vilified, inexplicably, the police detectives for doing their jobs. The defense counsel accused the firefighters of being in part responsible for the deaths of the Petit daughters. Which is it? Are to be civil and respectful or not?

I was wondering that too. I can't remember. Seems to me it was Hayes that came out last.

That's what I remember too. More and more, I am persuaded by the defense's claim that SH was the one who planned and set the fire. I believe that JK fully intended to sexually assault the youngest daughter but IMO he seemed to be operating with the goal that his victims not be able to identify him, and not leaving DNA behind, because he was planning on leaving them alive. That's not saying that JK is not a monster. He is. But I find his story very believable, not just in words but when his (and SH's) actions are compared with his words. That said, I don't think the jury will show any mercy toward JK. The details of this crime are too horrific.

The last sentence of that article states "The point is that they are performing an important service for society and should be praised, not vilified, for it." Yet the previous article you agreed with, the Pattisblog, vilified the prosecuting attorneys for simply doing their jobs. Vilified, inexplicably, the police detectives for doing their jobs. The defense counsel accused the firefighters of being in part responsible for the deaths of the Petit daughters. Which is it? Are to be civil and respectful or not?

I don't understand why the comparison of two very different articles on two very different things, the blog was about the death penalty and the prosecutions intent on choosing to go for it, and the news article was about the need for defence attorneys to be not vilified for doing there jobs

both by different people with differing agendas

I happen to agree with them both, I see nothing contradictory in agreeing with two very different things,

I happen to think that the response to the hostage situation by LE was poor and the victims may have been saved if they had acted quicker,

That's what I remember too. More and more, I am persuaded by the defense's claim that SH was the one who planned and set the fire. I believe that JK fully intended to sexually assault the youngest daughter but IMO he seemed to be operating with the goal that his victims not be able to identify him, and not leaving DNA behind, because he was planning on leaving them alive. That's not saying that JK is not a monster. He is. But I find his story very believable, not just in words but when his (and SH's) actions are compared with his words. That said, I don't think the jury will show any mercy toward JK. The details of this crime are too horrific.

I agree with you too, I understand why the state say that Komisarjevsky was the leader of the original idea to rob the family, and that his intent was also a sexual interest in the girls, but I don't understand why they appear to think it was he who wanted to murder the family and led the poor sap Hayes into doing so, Hayes to me was more intent on murder, and burning down the house as it was he who had left his prints and DNA everywhere

he committed horrendous crimes during that night into the morning, an horrendous rape of Michaela, the terror that the family endured being tied up and held hostage, the attack on Dr Petit

but from everything he did and said I doubt he ever intended to kill anybody that night, but I also accept that once Hayes killed Mrs Petit and began to set the fire he became as culpable in the murders of the girls as he did not free them from there ties and get them out of the house

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum
Back