CT - Man kills masked intruder, learns it’s his son, New Fairfield

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bio mom thinks adoptive dad should go to jail?? Unbelievable.

Yeah, that bio mom is quite a piece of work. She caused the death of her own innocent daughter in the commission of a crime and lost custody of her other kid because of her drug issues but now wants to play the poor, innocent, grieving, mother/victim and blame the adoptive father who did HER a huge favor by raising the son that she neglected and lost custody of.

She just wants attention and probably some money too to help her get over her "grief".

This is what happens when every man and his dog has a gun and thinks they are Deputy Dawg or the Avenger.

In Australia, Aunty would have called the police and the kid would be alive.

In Australia, no one would have been shot and killed because no one has a gun in their kitchen drawer.

It's quite simple (if you're not Amercian) less guns=less gun deaths.

Everyone's blaming the upbringing, biology, the fact the kid wore a mask....uh no, the entire reason this happened is because of your gun laws.
Well since you are of the above opinion guess its a good thing you do not reside here in the US..because we do have the right to bear arms and those who exercise that right will ensure that it remains our right here in the US just as our founding fathers intended it to be..

The truth of the matter is this... in passing a law that prohibits/takes away that right of us, the citizens to bear arms merely just allows for the "bad guys" to be armed and the innocent left unprotected and unable defend themselves and theur families from the harm of armed criminals..thats all it would accomplish because the fact is criminals could care less what is legal vs. illegal and therefor the changed law would mean a hill of beans to the criminals that would continue to bear arms..

Guns don't kill, people do..
And as much as i despise cliches this particular one is dead on!

I called my neighbor first. He was a homicide detective. He was at my property in under two minutes to stop the break in. I also dialed LE but 911 kept giving me a busy signal!
Thank god my neighbor was locked and loaded. Later he took me to buy a firearm, and took me to gun lessons.
Do I think he potentially saved my life? Yes. I do. Would LE have made it there in time? Doubtful, which, is why I have my own defends weapons in my house.
Hubby now, works nights. I have German Shepherd dog, several firearms and pepper
Spray. Hope to never have to use any of them, but, I have been a victim-and I am ready to if needed.

I called my neighbor first. He was a homicide detective. He was at my property in under two minutes to stop the break in. I also dialed LE but 911 kept giving me a busy signal!
Thank god my neighbor was locked and loaded. Later he took me to buy a firearm, and took me to gun lessons.
Do I think he potentially saved my life? Yes. I do. Would LE have made it there in time? Doubtful, which, is why I have my own defends weapons in my house.
Hubby now, works nights. I have German Shepherd dog, several firearms and pepper
Spray.
Hope to never have to use any of them, but, I have been a victim-and I am ready to if needed.

BBM: That's where I'm at too. Empowering oneself is the key! :rocker:

This is what happens when every man and his dog has a gun and thinks they are Deputy Dawg or the Avenger.

In Australia, no one would have been shot and killed because no one has a gun in their kitchen drawer.

Everyone's blaming the upbringing, biology, the fact the kid wore a mask....uh no, the entire reason this happened is because of your gun laws.

That is how myths get started.

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
•In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
•Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
•Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:•Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
•During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
•Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
•At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
•Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

I believe as difficult as this may be for this father to endure an investigation that imo it is a good thing that will bring closure to this tragic nightmare..closure as in ensuring that the doubt is cleared up that this was not as it seems and therefor show that it is exactly as it seems...imo a troubled teen whose troubles originat e from a very difficult childhood and the family that brought him in, loved him as their own would have never intentionally harmed this young man...his poor choices he made that night in regards to an argument with his aunt..those choices are what directly led to the horrific tragedy that occurred that night.jmo

My prayers for this father and his family during what will be a long and difficult road ahead of them in their working through a complicated combination of grief and guilt..

...these officers said its not only for your safety to make sure you shoot to kill but also for the very sad fact that it has now become the "norm" for these type intruders who the victim shoots and only wounds, not kills..that it is a known fact that many times the intruder will sue the victim in claiming that they had inadvertently or by pure innocent mistake had come on the victims property or into the victims home mistaking the victims home for someone else's that they knew..as in they thought they were going into a fam or friend's home and were shot by the homeowner unjustly..and am sad to say that i learned that there are in fact intruders that successfully sue their very own victims that shot them..LE said this is yet only another reason why a victim should shoot to kill and ensure the intruder is dead....

BBM: that's a good reason to petition your legislature to change the law.

The idea that it's a "good" reason to kill someone is repulsive.

Yeah, and in Australia, while Aunty waited on the police, nephew with knife breaks in and rapes/stabs/kills, with his KNIFE. Not gun.

No country is better.....it's sad all around. Gun laws are not to blame, the predator is....

Remember the bumper-sticker from a few years back ~ " When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"?

MOO: The unfortunate actions of the boy led to his death. It's quite possible the actions of the adoptive father saved his sister's life. It's sad. It's tragic. My heart breaks for the family. But , I do not blame the gun.

I just have to say thanks to OBE for the data.

That is how myths get started.

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

It is a common fantasy that gun bans make society safer. In 2002 -- five years after enacting its gun ban -- the Australian Bureau of Criminology acknowledged there is no correlation between gun control and the use of firearms in violent crime. In fact, the percent of murders committed with a firearm was the highest it had ever been in 2006 (16.3 percent), says the D.C. Examiner.

Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
•In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.

Moreover, Australia and the United States -- where no gun-ban exists -- both experienced similar decreases in murder rates:•Between 1995 and 2007, Australia saw a 31.9 percent decrease; without a gun ban, America's rate dropped 31.7 percent.
•During the same time period, all other violent crime indices increased in Australia: assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
•At the same time, U.S. violent crime decreased 31.8 percent: rape dropped 19.2 percent; robbery decreased 33.2 percent; aggravated assault dropped 32.2 percent.
•Australian women are now raped over three times as often as American women.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=17847

Remember the bumper-sticker from a few years back ~ " When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns"?

MOO: The unfortunate actions of the boy led to his death. It's quite possible the actions of the adoptive father saved his sister's life. It's sad. It's tragic. My heart breaks for the family. But , I do not blame the gun.

Yes, I do remember that.

It is based on good old common sense. Take the legal guns away and only the criminals will have them leaving law abiding citizens sitting ducks.

And I have read that is exactly what happened in Australia. When they enacted the gun ban it was the law abiding citizens that turned in their weapons. Many gun shop owners turned in guns ...many of the weapons were inoperable. It was a good deal since they paid for the weapons to be turned in. However like in all cases the criminal does not respect the law and had no intentions of turning their weapons in.

And anytime something is BANNED all it does is increase the black market trade to obtain the banned product anyway. History is full of situations where that has happened when something was prohibited by the government.

Criminals will always find a way to obtain a illegal firearm. Also remember a criminal wants their victims UNARMED because they are cowards. I am proud that our citizens have a right to legally protect themselves by the right to bear arms. It has stopped thousands of violent crimes from happening and saved innocent lives.

ITA! Tyler was up to no good and I honestly believe his father saved his sister from being seriously injured or worse.

Why Tyler had these intentions no one will ever know the full extent of it, imo. But no one knows what is really in the mind of some teens today. I am sure this father thought his son would never try to harm someone especially a family member but parents have misjudged their children before.

IMO

The idea that if there was no gun then Tyler would be alive seems to completely miss the point that if there was no gun the Aunt or the father could be dead by KNIFE.

Anyway, common sense tells us, he was going to rape his aunt. If he wanted to rob her, he lived next door. He could have walked into the house during the day as her nephew and unlocked a window or grabbed a set of keys. If he came into her house at night and she woke up he could justify himself being there. So no need for a knife.

If he was going to kill her there'd be no need for the mask. He was going to rape her.

And I have a feeling that he was on his way to a Ted Bundy type of life. I bet they will find that he looked him up online.

I dont agree. Many people other than police officers know how to handle a firearm. Mr. G had a permit for his gun.

Back 20 years ago we had a break in. I did call 911 and it took 40 minutes for the police to arrive. Meanwhile my brother lived with us at the time and held the suspect until they finally arrived and the man had a large knife on him. My brother had a gun and the man knew he would use it if necessary. If the home invader had lunged at me or my brother he would have been dead. He just better be glad my hubby had already left for work and we both told the man that. By the time police arrived we all could have had our throats cut if we didnt have legal weapons in our home.

Mr. G lived right next door to his sister so of course she would call him and she did call 911 too.

Our neighbor who doesnt have a weapon has called my husband over the years when she thought she heard something. He went over and checked it out, and yes, he had his legally owned firearm with him each time.

Most of the time police are a reactive force and arrive after it is too late to help the victim.

It is obvious to me that Tyler was up to no good. No kid sneaks out of the house in the middle of the night dressed in all black and disquising his indentity with a black ski mask while carrying a knife in his hand and other things unless he has bad intentions.

And Sheila12 is right many neighbors and family members do go to assist other family members/neighbors who are in fear and crimes have been stopped because they did.

I know this father will never get over this but I feel he saved his sister's life.

IMO

Pardon my underlining above:
But, The father clearly on edge ( because of recent break in) was not able nor did not first try to -do as your brother did. "Subdue the perp who had a knife while he had a gun the whole 40 mins till LE arrived.
Thank you for your point.

Do you think it makes any difference with breaking and entering laws and self protection if it is not your home and you are afraid inside? They were outside and next door? Did the father actively pursue him in a way? All while the 911 dispatcher was telling the aunty to lock the door stay inside. :waitasec:If the door was not locked how was he breaking in?

I agree T " was" up to "something", and there must be much we do not know, as well as many other things that are being mentioned on this thread. I just find it troubling. I feel bad for the entire family , and his bio family too.

Actually that proves a different point. It proves that the boy attacked his father. Why? Because he knew the cops were on the way. A perp knowing cops were on the way would turn and run away, knowing that the father would not likely shoot him in the back.

A perp would either take the arrest like the burglar held at gun point for 40 minutes.

The kid probably had no idea what to do and rushed his father hoping to get him to drop the gun so he could run.

I am pretty sure the door was not locked because the aunt was trying to figure out what was happening after she heard the shots. It's pretty obvious she didn't keep the door open overnight.

The idea that if there was no gun then Tyler would be alive seems to completely miss the point that if there was no gun the Aunt or the father could be dead by KNIFE.

Anyway, common sense tells us, he was going to rape his aunt. If he wanted to rob her, he lived next door. He could have walked into the house during the day as her nephew and unlocked a window or grabbed a set of keys. If he came into her house at night and she woke up he could justify himself being there. So no need for a knife.

If he was going to kill her there'd be no need for the mask. He was going to rape her.

And I have a feeling that he was on his way to a Ted Bundy type of life. I bet they will find that he looked him up online.

I really do not want to get into trouble for posting a theory , but the direct accusation that T was going there to Rape the aunt deserves alternate hypotheses as well.

Please forgive the following JMOO actually it is not my personal opinion, my fiance has brought the following scenario up continually. He has read all the newspaper reports ( only) we live locally.

hmmm maybe, the father was GS ( rhymes with sandusky) and T went to Aunty for help and she wouldn't, and that's what they fought over, and the fight spilled out into the street with knife and gun, and ...T was shot. The father told aunty to call 911...he ran into the house to get the ski mask.

" when officers arrived he was "crying" sitting on the lawn next to the drive way...and the body" and but he reported he first went inside?

about the ski mask....it is cold up here and people who do out door sports ( or even shovel in snow storms) actually do have ski masks, and they are usually kept in a nearby mudroom ( winter mittens scarves etc)

I think that's a bit ridiculous, sorry. Why would he go to his aunt if he didn't get along with her? Why not tell someone in school. If he's adopted in the situation that he's been in he probably has dealt with court officers and social workers for a long time. He'd know what to do.

I think that's a bit ridiculous, sorry. Why would he go to his aunt if he didn't get along with her? Why not tell someone in school. If he's adopted in the situation that he's been in he probably has dealt with court officers and social workers for a long time. He'd know what to do.

Wow isn't calling my post "ridiculous" a bit strong? I never said I bought it hook, line and sinker. It could fit into the events as we know them.

Isn't everything we know about everyone's relationship based on what they ( father and aunty) reported/ and perhaps want us to know? I don't know why he didn't go to tell school ( plethora of social workers)- maybe it is because father worked there? Why didn't all those GS victims not report things to Second Mile?

By all reports T was a good kid and had no signs of anti social behavior and was a good kid. (Not to say that good kids don't implode! but - why)

I know it appears very outstanding of this family to adopt him and his sister. In all my nearly 30 years of teaching I haven't ever heard of one teacher who has adopted a boy or girl in their class. oh except GS.

This is JMOO and a theory - I do not even necessarily believe it. But..

Do we know they didn't get along? They could have just had an argument.

Ouch. As much as I respect OBE, that quote is from the National Center for Policy Analysis, which is a conservative think tank against any form of government control. It is very biased.

The fact is, gun deaths and gun violence in our country are insane when compared to any other westernized democracy.

That being said, I can't say that gun control is the answer. More Canadians per capita have guns than we do, I believe. I think everyone in Switzerland has a gun.

It's our culture. It's a culture with a mythology based in fear and violence. (I have a bachelor's in American Studies and have studied this extensively). Gun control will never work here for that reason and various others and because it will not work and due to the fact that our level of gun deaths has more to do with our culture and less to do with our access to guns, it's likely not the answer, IMO.

We are bred to believe that we are constantly in danger of violence and we are bred to react quickly and violently to that danger. That results in many more gun deaths than other, similar nations.

But while I am not a proponent of gun control, please, every modern, democratic nation has something to learn from other such nations. What works in Australia or Holland or Italy may not work exactly the same here, but dialogue about different policies and tactics and cultural attitudes, should not be shut down by biased statistics or a nationalistic mind-set that refuses to consider what is effective elsewhere. :twocents:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back