CT - Man kills masked intruder, learns it’s his son, New Fairfield

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just FYI, here are some more neutral stats on what happened in Australia since the stric gun control and gun buy-back laws were instituted:
A decade-long examination of the program in the journal "Injury Prevention" concluded that "chances of gun death in Australia dropped twice as steeply" after the program was implemented. A study by Harvard University in the Spring of 2011 suggested that the program helped reduce, either causally or directly, firearm deaths, gun-related suicides and accidental shootings. The Washington Post, summarizing many of the studies, concluded that there was "strong circumstantial evidence for the law's effectiveness."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/gun-control-wisconsin-shooting_n_1756619.html
Consider what happened in Australia after a crazed gunman killed 35 people in Port Arthur, Tasmania, in 1996.
The Australian federal government persuaded all states and territories to implement tough new gun control laws. Under the National Firearms Agreement (NFA), firearms legislation was tightened throughout the country. National registration of guns was imposed and it became illegal to hold certain long guns that might be used in mass shootings.
The gun ban was backed up by a mandatory buy-back program that substantially reduced gun possession in Australia.
iReporter: 'AK-47 a weapon for war'
The effect was that both gun suicides and homicides (as well as total suicides and homicides) fell. Importantly, while there were 13 mass shootings in Australia during the period of 1979--96, there have been none in the sixteen years since.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/opinion/donohue-gun-control/index.html
Gun Control in Australia Posted on May 10, 2009 , Updated on May 11, 2009
Q: Did gun control in Australia lead to more murders there last year?
A: This ‘Gun History Lesson’ is recycled bunk from a decade ago. Murders in Australia actually are down to record lows.
FULL QUESTION
Is this true??
A little Gun History Lesson
⬐ Click to expand/collapse the full text ⬏
FULL ANSWER
The e-mail says that "t has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms." Actually, it’s been 13 years since Australian gun law was originally changed. In 1996, the government banned some types of guns, instituted a buyback program and imposed stricter licensing and registration requirements. Gun ownership rates in Australia declined from 7 percent to 5 percent. Another law in 2002 tightened restrictions a bit more, restricting caliber, barrel length and capacity for sport shooting handguns.
Have murders increased since the gun law change, as claimed? Actually, Australian crime statistics show a marked decrease in homicides since the gun law change. According to the Australian Institute of Criminology, a government agency, the number of homicides in Australia did increase slightly in 1997 and peaked in 1999, but has since declined to the lowest number on record in 2007, the most recent year for which official figures are available.
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/gun-control-in-australia/

I really do not want to get into trouble for posting a theory , but the direct accusation that T was going there to Rape the aunt deserves alternate hypotheses as well.

Please forgive the following JMOO actually it is not my personal opinion, my fiance has brought the following scenario up continually. He has read all the newspaper reports ( only) we live locally.

hmmm maybe, the father was GS ( rhymes with sandusky) and T went to Aunty for help and she wouldn't, and that's what they fought over, and the fight spilled out into the street with knife and gun, and ...T was shot. The father told aunty to call 911...he ran into the house to get the ski mask.

" when officers arrived he was "crying" sitting on the lawn next to the drive way...and the body" and but he reported he first went inside?

about the ski mask....it is cold up here and people who do out door sports ( or even shovel in snow storms) actually do have ski masks, and they are usually kept in a nearby mudroom ( winter mittens scarves etc)

He had on dark clothes, carried a knife and had other items we are not yet privy too. It sounds like the family is really hurting over this.
The kid was not adopted until 11 yrs of age. His mom was a drug addict who's other child died in her care. Not trying to bad mouth him but he had an awful life that can easily be the makings of a sociopath.
When some of us think there is more to the story I have always thought it meant they think the kid was up to something really bad.
I don't think it was a contrived cover up. Seems more like a shocking turn of events.
Not bashing you. I like to read different theories. My brain has been going into all sorts of theories waiting for more news.

I haven't seen anything stating he reported that he "first went inside." The 911 calls came from his sister and his wife.
He was not inside during any of these calls.
Apparently there were also 911 calls made from the neighbors who heard the shots. Police arrived within minutes.
That doesn't leave time for some elaborate staging and doesn't fit some convoluted theories.

Just on the note of gun control. I teach the Bill of Rights every month or so and it's interesting to me how few Americans actually know what they are all about.

The right to bear arms has nothing to do with protecting ourselves from neighbors it's got to do with protecting our country from the tyranny of the government that is always at bay save for the rights in the Bill of Rights.

I really do not want to get into trouble for posting a theory , but the direct accusation that T was going there to Rape the aunt deserves alternate hypotheses as well.

Please forgive the following JMOO actually it is not my personal opinion, my fiance has brought the following scenario up continually. He has read all the newspaper reports ( only) we live locally.

hmmm maybe, the father was GS ( rhymes with sandusky) and T went to Aunty for help and she wouldn't, and that's what they fought over, and the fight spilled out into the street with knife and gun, and ...T was shot. The father told aunty to call 911..

Sorry to snip (can't reply on Ipad), but....I think it's utterly wrong to drag Sandusky into this story. IF (if, if, if) molestation were an issue, why wait for a fight with your Aunt, don black clothes, and bring a knife?

Adding that potential accusation to a thread where a family adopted from a drug-addicted Mom seems so unfair.

Also, I lived in Fairfield County for a decade. Last week's weather did not call for a ski-mask. Not even close. Sure.....residents *may* own those masks, but it would be difficult to locate one in early October.

Last year, it unexpectedly snowed on Halloween. I can't be the only one who couldn't find my gloves and Uggs....no one needs ski masks, for sure, before December.

It's fair to be open-minded, but I see no reason to equate the adopted Dad to Sandusky. From what we know, adopted-nephew had issues with the Aunt. Allegations of abuse (God forbid) take place at a school setting or during daylight hours....NOT dressed in black, late at night, with a knife.

It's OK to give the deceased some benefit....but a ski mask, knife, and his Aunt's house? Let's not suspend disbelief to accuse his adopted dad.

Just on the note of gun control. I teach the Bill of Rights every month or so and it's interesting to me how few Americans actually know what they are all about.

The right to bear arms has nothing to do with protecting ourselves from neighbors it's got to do with protecting our country from the tyranny of the government that is always at bay save for the rights in the Bill of Rights.

Me too {{{{{Chewy}}}}! I agree...I am a History and Social Studies teacher and teach it often ( I teach at a career college now and teach US History every 5 weeks from beginning to end) and agree 100%.

The emphasis: The main part , that first part: " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state...." is misunderstood is often been misquoted and forgotten by many who focus on only the second part " the rights of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed"
Thank you ( very much) for bringing this up!

I haven't seen anything stating he reported that he "first went inside." The 911 calls came from his sister and his wife.
He was not inside during any of these calls.
Apparently there were also 911 calls made from the neighbors who heard the shots. Police arrived within minutes.
That doesn't leave time for some elaborate staging and doesn't fit some convoluted theories.

<<Police found Tyler Giuliano sprawled in the driveway with a gunshot wound to the head, according to one of the 911 recordings.
Gene Zingaro, Giuliano's lawyer, said Friday that after the shooting the father had gone back to his house, "at which point his wife came out to check on his condition."

"The fact that he retreated to his own property is relevant, in that Mr. Giuliano had a fear after the shooting that No. 1, it is possible that the intruder could get up and harm him in some way and 2, he wasn't really safe until he got back to his property," Zingaro said. "The intruder was wearing a ski mask, so the head injury would not have been as easy to detect, especially at night.">>

I know it was warm that week in Ct and no need to wear a ski mask, My comment was that people might own ski masks, and or have them in their homes, not for robbery, and rapes.

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/policerepo...tal-shooting-of-son-3922106.php#ixzz295RUjqgS

Me too {{{{{Chewy}}}}! I agree...I am a History and Social Studies teacher and teach it often ( I teach at a career college now and teach US History every 5 weeks from beginning to end) and agree 100%.

The emphasis: The main part , that first part: " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state...." is misunderstood is often been misquoted and forgotten by many who focus on only the second part " the rights of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed"

I totally agree with your comments. Being a social studies teacher myself, I encounter this issue in my classroom each year. It amazes me that so many people are not familiar enough with our Constitution to know more about it than what they hear trumpeted on the news. The Bill of Rights was written when the US was young and did not have a well established military. It relied on the "militia" or citizen soldiers. I live in a very pro-gun part of the US. Some of our children are given big guns at a young age to use for hunting. Scary.

<<Police found Tyler Giuliano sprawled in the driveway with a gunshot wound to the head, according to one of the 911 recordings.
Gene Zingaro, Giuliano's lawyer, said Friday that after the shooting the father had gone back to his house, "at which point his wife came out to check on his condition."

"The fact that he retreated to his own property is relevant, in that Mr. Giuliano had a fear after the shooting that No. 1, it is possible that the intruder could get up and harm him in some way and 2, he wasn't really safe until he got back to his property," Zingaro said. "The intruder was wearing a ski mask, so the head injury would not have been as easy to detect, especially at night.">>

I know it was warm that week in Ct and no need to wear a ski mask, My comment was that people might own ski masks, and or have them in their homes, not for robbery, and rapes.

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/policerepo...tal-shooting-of-son-3922106.php#ixzz295RUjqgS

That doesn't say he went inside. And while people might have ski masks, I don't think they are running around at 1 am in the morning wearing them.

That doesn't say he went inside. And while people might have ski masks, I don't think they are running around at 1 am in the morning wearing them.

I absolutely agree. Have you ever found yourself arguing a side you don't believe? Devils advocate?I keep following this line of thinking, just because the evidence follows? I have said from the beginning this is NotMOO but someone ( my fiance) raised a scenario to me and it could fit.

About the ski mask: To be specific...just say...he was not wearing a ski mask at all...but ( after the fight and the shooting) someone decided to go get one and say he was.( prowling around wearing one)

About Tyler: From his best friend
<<He was such a good kid and would make friends with the teachers."

"It makes me furious," ----wrote, "when I hear rumors of how he was doing something `bad.' And the way they portray him as this masked burglar makes me so mad and infuriated that I can't even begin to explain how wrong it is.">>

"He was very quiet, but he wasn't into drugs. He was never a bad boy,'' said Yolanda Vasquez, whose son, -- belonged to the New Fairfield Civil Air Patrol with Tyler.

"I know Tyler very well," Vasquez said. "He had a different home. He lived with his grandmother and his parents were not around. I took a personal liking to Tyler. He was the type of kid who was open to a hug."
Vasquez's daughter is friends with Scocozza's daughter; both are in eighth grade. Tyler's cousin told her daughter that Tyler was never going to burglarize the house, Vasquez said, but that Tyler was upset about a fight with his aunt that night.
Vasquez said that according to her daughter, the cousin "said (Tyler) wanted to say something, but he was too angry.''

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/news/artic...loved-in-short-life-3905539.php#ixzz295dfwUzx

For me, idea that this kid allegedly had a fight with his aunt prior to this, provides a motive for what has occurred. As for being good and nice and all that-I am sorry but that is pretty much a cliche. If I had a dollar for every time I heard how nice someone was after some awful incident-well, I'd be rich.

Connecticut

Connecticut does not have a stand-your-ground law, but instead requires an individual to retreat when able to do so. Under state law, the use of deadly force that might otherwise have been justifiable is not warranted if someone “knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety...by retreating...” (CGS § 53a-19(b)); State v. Garrison, 203 Conn. 466, 472, (1987)). The state's Castle Doctrine law is an exception to this requirement to retreat. In 2007, a bill was introduced to enact stand-your-ground legislation, but did not pass the Judiciary Committee.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0172.htm

I totally agree with your comments. Being a social studies teacher myself, I encounter this issue in my classroom each year. It amazes me that so many people are not familiar enough with our Constitution to know more about it than what they hear trumpeted on the news. The Bill of Rights was written when the US was young and did not have a well established military. It relied on the "militia" or citizen soldiers. I live in a very pro-gun part of the US. Some of our children are given big guns at a young age to use for hunting. Scary.

Hey guys sorry I missed these. Yep I teach Social Studies teachers and I drill it in. I have to be honest, I didn't know them either before teaching it.

Another great concept for students is Tyranny of the Majority by John Stuart Mill, makes for great debates!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back