Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok Here's the deal with the ring. Take the higher quality picture of the JHNS ring on Namus, and blow it up big. Blown up, it eventually becomes very obvious that the letters on the ring are not JHNS or JNHS. We've all maybe looked at it and assumed that there was an "H" in there somewhere but I never actually found one.

Easy to see under magnification, there is a shadow that creates an illusion of a break between the letters. Believe it or not the letters are actually........."BNS". The "J" is just the left side of the fancy "B". I havent found the exact font (please help if you can) but there are several Olde English/Gothic Fonts that have a vertical line going through the "S". The "S: ends up looking similar to a $ sign B$N are the letters. Helen's family moved from England to Canada when she was only 4 years old That means that the ring would be from England. What type of higher learning could a woman achieve in 1917? I say the ring is from the Bradford School of Nursing in West Yorkshire England. Established 1832. Thoughts?
attachment.php

Attachments

• BSN.jpg
    BSN.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 379
Modern forensics would have been able to tell that the deceased had given birth at one point. I haven't heard anything about Jane Doe showing signs that she had given birth. Not sure if they even checked for that type of thing back then or even if they had the ability to do so.

Have you already contacted NamUs with the potential match? I ask because CarlK had mentioned Helen as a potential match back in 2012, so she may have already been ruled out. Being Canadian, she wouldn't necessarily be put on the NamUs rule out list if it were already done.
Also, do you know what biometrics Helen has, like does she have fingerprints, DNA or dental records available? Canada usually doesn't take a DNA sample to keep on file unless they have a set of remains to compare it to. Last I read they were contemplating coming with a CODIS like database, but haven't heard any updates on how it's coming along.
Unfortunately, this UP only has dental records available, they weren't able to get DNA (says insufficient for profiling).

ETA: I found the Sandy reference so I removed it. Please disregard. TY~

Here's part of my correspondence with the Connecticut Medical Examiner: "Looks like you've given us a reason to look closer into Helen's case. I will be contacting proper departments and will keep you posted."

I believe they have dental records but no DNA.

Dental records would be good because that's all this Jane Doe has. Also, from the ME's response, it sounds like Helen may have been on their radar but was either dismissed or not closely compared, but I'm just guessing here. Hopefully, there will be answers. Just to let you know, though, if you weren't aware already, it may take years working across the border like that. This is where patience truly is a virtue!

I've been in contact with the RCMP in Prince George. They asked me to send them my notes and to let them know where I got my information at. I recommended that they search through this forum for more information on New London County Jane Doe and I'm sure they will if they haven't already. If you've been saving any info that you're still working on, you may want to post it now so that they can see it. If anyone wants to simplify the info for them by organizing links and timelines. I'm sure that would be helpful for them. If they contact me again, I'll let you know.

Ok Here's the deal with the ring. Take the higher quality picture of the JHNS ring on Namus, and blow it up big. Blown up, it eventually becomes very obvious that the letters on the ring are not JHNS or JNHS. We've all maybe looked at it and assumed that there was an "H" in there somewhere but I never actually found one.

Easy to see under magnification, there is a shadow that creates an illusion of a break between the letters. Believe it or not the letters are actually........."BNS". The "J" is just the left side of the fancy "B". I havent found the exact font (please help if you can) but there are several Olde English/Gothic Fonts that have a vertical line going through the "S". The "S: ends up looking similar to a $ sign B$N are the letters. Helen's family moved from England to Canada when she was only 4 years old That means that the ring would be from England. What type of higher learning could a woman achieve in 1917? I say the ring is from the Bradford School of Nursing in West Yorkshire England. Established 1832. Thoughts?
attachment.php

We don't do class rings in the UK.

It won't be from the Bradford School of Nursing.

Thanks, Shadowdancer, for the insight on class rings in the UK.

Though the shape of the class ring isn't unique or exclusive to any one school, Johns Hopkins class rings are traditionally oval, but that may be a coincidence.

Modern forensics would have been able to tell that the deceased had given birth at one point. I haven't heard anything about Jane Doe showing signs that she had given birth. Not sure if they even checked for that type of thing back then or even if they had the ability to do so.

They could tell when a woman had given birth— structural changes occur that have been known for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my correspondence with the ME on the subject:

Me:Quick question: Helen had given birth maybe 7 months before she was killed. Would the coroner back then have been able to determine that from Jane Doe's body? (it wasn't mentioned).

Her:
Hi Joe,
Unfortunately her body was discovered in 1974 so she was a complete skeleton by then. I will keep you posted.

BSN is a bachelor’s of science in nursing. Often referred to by the three letters.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back