Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been looking and looking at this ring and it reminds me of one that my father received from his mother around 1916 when he graduated from 8th grade...

Maybe it is not an "official" class ring but one commemorating junior high school graduation...was there such a thing as junior high in 1917? Or maybe the initials on the ring are actually the person's initials, and not a school...

I've been looking and looking at this ring and it reminds me of one that my father received from his mother around 1916 when he graduated from 8th grade...

Maybe it is not an "official" class ring but one commemorating junior high school graduation...was there such a thing as junior high in 1917? Or maybe the initials on the ring are actually the person's initials, and not a school...

i had no idea they made jr. high class rings! widen the search!

the ring also had initials engraved inside if i recall correctly - "ILN" i think? but youre right maybe "njhs" or its combinations isnt a school at all but initials or an acronym....

bah! the more i think about this ring, the more i kinda hate its existence!

Ilonka Cann resembles the Jane Doe somewhat.

2884677990045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
cann_ilonka.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cann_ilonka.html

Any chance that she would leave a husband and child to hang-out with Carmichael?

Wonder if this one is her? http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/231ufga.html

The case history mentions a number of different states: Connecticut, NJ, Rhode Island, Mass, New Hampshire, Maine, etc. Also, a number of robberies and stolen identities are mentioned.

My impression is that this young Jane Doe was not an abductee, but rather someone who accompanied Carmichael willingly and then became somewhat disillusioned or afraid of the life she was leading and the people she was dealing with. She is probably from the New England area, but not currently listed on-line as a missing person.

Was this ring a man's or woman's size? And was the ring found near her skull, or on a finger? It was probably a ring that belonged to a parent or grandparent - or it might have been given to her by Carmichael after he had stolen it from someone.

Although not related to this case, here is an interesting story about a New York woman's 1917 class ring which was found and returned to her daughter some 90 years later:

http://gouverneurmuseum.org/1917classring/story.html

The date, height, and brownish-red hair caught my eye on Mary Brosley, from Boston but missing from Palmer, MA (she was expected to take the bus home): https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13722/2/

Mary is a bit older than her 20s at 33 though and the circumstances surrounding her disappearance sound more like foul play but it's entirely possible she could have taken the bus to meet up with someone.

I've often considered this could be Darlene Polizzi but I am COMPLETELY stuck when trying to find more information on her... I can't even find her husband's first name.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104832&highlight=polizzi
*The thread here appears to be closed.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/polizzi_darlene.html

I suppose many believe she was a Raymond Alves victim (or maybe her disappearance is related to mob ties?)

I still think she is worth considering if only I could find more info :(

My impression is that this young Jane Doe was not an abductee, but rather someone who accompanied Carmichael willingly and then became somewhat disillusioned or afraid of the life she was leading and the people she was dealing with. She is probably from the New England area, but not currently listed on-line as a missing person.

i agree... that's why i liked lynn luray for a match. she was seen leaving the area with an adult male. but like many of these other matches, there is so little known about her case...

This is a really good article. The victim was afraid because of the life she was living. I wonder if she was from the RI area. DeFreitas maintained apartments in Providence RI to harbor fugitives. He also had an incident at the Green Apple Tavern Manchester New Hampshire in 1969. He made fake ID's for Carmichael and the victim. She went by the name of Lorraine Stahl, I feel sorry for that person who was a victim of identify theft. Even opening up a bank account and renting a home in Noank. What about the neighbors where they lived, didn't she make any friends there? Maybe she didn't have time to make friends there if her and Carmichael were killed in 1970. I think the ring was stolen only because she was hanging out with known thieves. I think maybe if was from the John Hopkins school of nursing. Just guessing.

I was able to trace three of the phone numbers on the phone bill.

* The 215 945 0131 belonged to a J--- A------ who lived on 7500 Knights Road in Bensalem PA in 1974. That address no longer exists. There is a chance that he obtained that number between 1970 and 1974, but he still had the same number in 1994 (and lived in Levittown at that time).

* The 615 244 4259 belonged to a B---- D----- of Nashville TN in 1994. He was born in 1935, and lived in the area all his life up to that point.

* The 716 834 1513 belonged to a C------ F. R--------- in 1994. He was born in 1921 and lived in the Buffalo/Tonawanda area all his life.

It's possible that they obtained those telephone numbers between 1970 and 1994 (or in the case of JA, between 1970 and 1974), but there would be no reason to do so if they had all lived in the area the entire time.

Looking in Ancestry, I found that BD and CFR both had younger sisters who would have been around 31 and 32 years old (respectively) in 1970. I was thinking that if the Jane Doe was calling a family member, she might be that sister listed. But I'm not sure how I would verify that at this point.

I would hope that LE already looked into that angle.

I thought I would add that there are actually TWO phone numbers for Nashville TN talent agencies, the first is this:

* The 615 244 4259 belonged to a B---- D----- of Nashville TN in 1994. He was born in 1935, and lived in the area all his life up to that point.
This B--- D--- was actually The Billy Deaton Talent Agency and he/the business is quite well known, especially the country music industry.
Although Billy Deaton died in 2009, I feel sure the business continues to thrive.

And the 2nd one was:
The 615-244-1145
One Niters (Talent/Booking Agency)
111 Lyle Ave
Nashville TN

I don't know anything about the One Niters agency but a quick search leads me to believe they are still in existence. And, 615-244-1145 was One Niters' phone number in the 70s.

It makes me wonder if she was a singer/wanna-be-singer or if she had family working in the music industry.

I'm still searching a few of the phone numbers and I thought I throw this out, too...

The 302-654-2495 Wilmington Delaware phone number is currently listed to:

Salesianum School
An independent secondary Catholic school for boys established in 1903.

I am "assuming" the school had this phone number in the late 60s/70s.

Accordingly to one news article (link below), she was found wearing two rings and a wood-carved brooch or pendant. The second ring "is an inexpensive one with an imitation emerald stone. The wood-carved figure appears to be an abstract ceremonial head."

I think I'd have better luck if I could see a photo of the wood-carved brooch/pendant (rather than a photo of her hot rollers).

It seems odd that the JNHS ring doesn't have a jewelers' mark (or at least there is no mention of it).

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...HRTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8YUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4311,6086229

More phone record info:

One of the numbers belongs to Fairlanes Bowling
Another number belongs to the sister of a pro-bowler

'Seems I can sleuth, search, read and follow a few leads but... I still have nothing :(

I hear ya, F & E, lol. We're in the same place right now, I think.

I found out tonight that Margaret Sanger had a husband, JNH Slee, who went by Noah. That's about as close to JNHS as I've come. He lived in New York and it was thought the UID might have come from there. He would have been alive in 1917, but I have no reason to think this is his ring, no reason to connect him with the initials ILN or a girl found in CT years after his death.

Of course, what drives me crazy is the possibility that the ring was just something Carmichael had lifted from someone somewhere along the way and then gave to his girlfriend, and that it has absolutely no value for investigative purposes.

I hear ya, F & E, lol. We're in the same place right now, I think.

I found out tonight that Margaret Sanger had a husband, JNH Slee, who went by Noah. That's about as close to JNHS as I've come. He lived in New York and it was thought the UID might have come from there. He would have been alive in 1917, but I have no reason to think this is his ring, no reason to connect him with the initials ILN or a girl found in CT years after his death.

Of course, what drives me crazy is the possibility that the ring was just something Carmichael had lifted from someone somewhere along the way and then gave to his girlfriend, and that it has absolutely no value for investigative purposes.

Totally agree with your second paragraph, think the ring means nothing. What I find hard to believe is that this women stayed two nights in the home of the man who was accused of killing her. He had a wife, you would think that before fake names were made for her that she would have had conversations with the wife. Did they just call her "hey you", I think if someone was staying in my house I would at least like to know their real name. It's very strange.

Totally agree with your second paragraph, think the ring means nothing. What I find hard to believe is that this women stayed two nights in the home of the man who was accused of killing her. He had a wife, you would think that before fake names were made for her that she would have had conversations with the wife. Did they just call her "hey you", I think if someone was staying in my house I would at least like to know their real name. It's very strange.

I've wondered if J Rainello is still alive, and if so... would she possibly have anything additional to add. Actually, I've wondered what happened to others who were part of this bank-robbing (and murderous) gang.

The ring with it's JNHS letter were such a dead end and that's why I opted to try additional searches on the phone records. Maybe we will find a link... somewhere.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CleverFox
Back