***Day 5 -Committal Hearing*** 18th,19,20th March 2013***

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
wouldnt think the defence would pick them would you , could be seriously incrimenating

These witnesses have already given statements so the magistrate has their evidence anyway. So by having the witnesses cross examined is not likely to make things more incriminating for the defence, it just sounds incriminating as we are hearing a lot of it for the first time. But cross examining may help the defence to discredit a witness's evidence or memory or just generally test them to see how they are likely to perform at trial. The defence would be making notes on each witness and their manner. They will know who is more likely to falter than who is likely to be difficult to cross examine. We can see for ourselves that there have been some witnesses who are better under cross examination than others.

Donna Field ‏@Donna_Field
Dr Kumar: she also examined Baden-Clay's facial injuries #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou ‏@KateKyriacou
Baden-Clay went to a second doctor later that day (April 21) to get them to have another look at scratches on his face. #badenclay

Emmy Kubainski ‏@emmykubainski
GP's on the stand at Baden-Clay committal hearing. Giving evidence on seeing him the day after his wife was reported missing. @7newsbrisbane

Who'd have though you would need to get second opinions on a razor cut? WOw and a day after your wife has gone missing..wouldn't you have more important things to worry about!

sorry, bit slow here.. am only just catching up and was gobsmacked to read about the DR's visits..

Does the committal hearing finish after today or is it on tomorrow aswell, if so how long does it normally take before finding out if yay or nay to trial, is it immediate or does the judge take days to make a decision ?

Today they were worried that they are running seriously behind time now with the witnesses and it will not just be one more day. That was all that was said before the adjournment.

Does the committal hearing finish after today or is it on tomorrow aswell, if so how long does it normally take before finding out if yay or nay to trial, is it immediate or does the judge take days to make a decision ?

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the final day, and the Magistrate will hand down his decision then. So we dont have to wait days for it.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the final day, and the Magistrate will hand down his decision then. So we dont have to wait days for it.

Thanks, also when donthey set a trial date ? Trials can take place years down the track can't they ?

I think it's the attitude he has toward women. He can butter them up. He probably assumed a female doctor wouldn't know about men's shaving cuts. If he went to a male doctor they may have been more likely to realise. Having said that, there was no guarantee he would get a female doctor at the medical centre unless he specifically asked for one and we don't know that he did.

I go to that medical centre and they always ask who u want to see and give u options of who is available (eg I want appt before 9am and they'll say we have dr x at 8.15 or dr y at 8.50 etc)

I reckon he picked the female dr....

Today they were worried that they are running seriously behind time now with the witnesses and it will not just be one more day. That was all that was said before the adjournment.

Good lord, blind freddy could see that cross examining 43 witnesses was going to take far more time than the defence estimated. I said this when they said it would only take 3 days! Then it became 6. More days will cost more money and will it achieve anything anyway. Well if you have the spare money, I guess why not, keep going. Good for us as the longer it goes, the more we will hear.

I've always wondered that too. Why bother killing your partner? Surely even a messy divorce that leaves you penniless is going to be better than spending years in jail, and leaving your kids with no parents? It is senseless, isn't it?
Nothing is achieved in the end , just an awful lot of misery. Divorce would be the better option in all cases.

I agree. I find it ironic that in one of the statements it was said that GbC claimed he couldn't afford to see a family lawyer to get advice. The family lawyer would have been much much cheaper than these criminal guys he has to pay now!

Yes indeed. And the more I hear about him the more I think "Sleaze" with a capital "S". I've met heaps of creeps like him in my day either socially or at work, and I now have the ability to pick a sleaze a mile off. Poor old Toni has been taken for one hell of a ride and I do feel somewhat sorry for her as she doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. I also DO NOT believe he loved her (as she stated) as I believe he only loved one person - HIMSELF. MOO.

People are just means to an end I think. He doesn't form emotional attachments to anyone.

Just butting in to say THANKYOU to all you guy's who covered this stuff yesterday....xxxxxx

Thanks for all your thanks everyone :) it was a great experience to see it all in motion and it was great to be able to share it with you all. Unfortunately I can't go again, will have to wait for the trial - thanks to those who are keeping us updated today!

Thanks, also when donthey set a trial date ? Trials can take place years down the track can't they ?

Hi Hbayne, if committed, then the magistrates sends it up to the Supreme Court as that is where the trial will be held. There will be a number of mentions ( like all the committal mentions) in the supreme court to talk about trial preparation and at some point a trial date will be set. It would be the end of this year at the earliest I think.

Sorry, coming in late, What did he say? TIA

He made a comment to Kate about her getting the librarian's age wrong so she tweeted to him that she is giving him the finger.

Hi Hbayne, if committed, then the magistrates sends it up to the Supreme Court as that is where the trial will be held. There will be a number of mentions ( like all the committal mentions) in the supreme court to talk about trial preparation and at some point a trial date will be set. It would be the end of this year at the earliest I think.

Thank you Alioop. When it goes to trial are members of the public allowed to attend?

Back on topic thanks everyone....unless some of you would prefer to sit out the afternoon on time-out??

I agree. I find it ironic that in one of the statements it was said that GbC claimed he couldn't afford to see a family lawyer to get advice. The family lawyer would have been much much cheaper than these criminal guys he has to pay now!

Yeah there are community funded organizations who will help for free. You only have to pay for lodgment of documents to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme