DC DC - Chandra Levy, 24, Washington DC, 1 May 2001 *found deceased in 2002*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CNN just had a blip inmate arressted in Chandra Levy case. Didn't give much info. FYI

Just heard on cnn that they had a suspect and would have an interview with her parents soon.
I hope her family will finally get some answers!

VB

WASHINGTON – An arrest may be near in the nearly decade-old slaying of federal intern Chandra Levy, whose disappearance in 2001 ended Gary Condit's congressional career, several television stations reported.

The California Democrat was romantically linked to Levy, but was not considered a suspect in her death or disappearance. Television stations, KFSN and KCRA in California and WRC in Washington, D.C., reported that police were seeking an arrest warrant.

Levy's parents said Friday outside their Modesto, Calif., home that police called them and told them an arrest was near.

"Your child is dead and gone and it's painful, but we're glad that the police and people are doing something, and investigating, and making a difference so somebody's not on the street to do it again," Chandra's mother, Susan Levy, told KGO-TV in San Francisco.

The parents did not say when an arrest warrant might be issued.

The 24-year-old Levy disappeared in May 2001 and at the time, she was wearing jogging clothes when she left her apartment. Her remains were found in Rock Creek Park in Washington about a year later.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090221/ap_on_re_us/chandra_levy

Here's another article. I snipped this part of it.

On The Early Show Saturday Edition, CBS News legal analyst Lisa Bloom speculated a jailhouse snitch, like the one cited in news accounts, could have been the source of the new evidence police are apparently using to target Guandique.

"My guess would be two things," Bloom said. "One, new statements from the suspect behind bars, possibly linking him to Chandra Levy. The other would be developments in forensic science, which has grown by leaps and bounds in the last eight years. Maybe they have something new on him ... something linking him to the remains of Chandra Levy. When her remains were found in Rock Creek Park, they were highly decomposed. ... Nevertheless, hair, bone samples, dental records, something linking him to her remains. Otherwise, it's hard to understand what could be new -- statements perhaps made behind bars to other inmates, a jailhouse confession, something of that nature."

I hope it's more than just an informant within the prison system. They're gonna need more than that to convict. Hopefully there's some forensics to back it up. :woohoo:

I kind of think it is forensics that will lead to an arrest or I hope whatever they have is tight. It has been such a long time for the Levy family and for Chandra to get justice. I am so glad to hear this news.

Just another article from my hometown paper that doesn't add anything more than what has been posted but just for the record.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sha...handra_Levy.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Gary Condit really showed people why they shouldn't cheat on their spouse. He had nothing to with it but it wrecked his career and brought public humiliation to him. He paid a lot for that affair, as well he should. :bang:

:cow:

Just saw this and had to see if there was a thread here. :) GREAT NEWS!
Here's hoping for justice (FINALLY) for Chandra and her family...

Gary Condit really showed people why they shouldn't cheat on their spouse. He had nothing to with it but it wrecked his career and brought public humiliation to him. He paid a lot for that affair, as well he should. :bang:

:cow:

Not to mention drawing away investigative manpower and focus by acting like a suspect and trying to coverup the affair.

SteelyDan I hope you are correct about Gary Condit. I mean about not being involved in her murder.

This is good news however. I love it when LE solves a cold case.

Reading and watching. Find myself wondering what 'new' information LE might have to make it appear so 'promising'.

The other two women got away. Hmmm.

Not to mention drawing away investigative manpower and focus by acting like a suspect and trying to coverup the affair.

I meant to add that too. Thanks for catching that. He really slowed down the investigation by doing that. If he had gone to the cops as soon as she went missing and divulged their affair and took a polygraph it would have been a lot smarter for him. :cow:

I meant to add that too. Thanks for catching that. He really slowed down the investigation by doing that. If he had gone to the cops as soon as she went missing and divulged their affair and took a polygraph it would have been a lot smarter for him. :cow:

I wonder what Condit's doing now.

"...A law enforcement official who spoke to investigators said Saturday that the break in the case came in part from DNA evidence. The official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Levy investigation is ongoing, said DNA evidence was either retested or collected, and it was connected to Guandique...."

From this link:

By GILLIAN GAYNAIR, Associated Press Writer Gillian Gaynair, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 35 mins ago
WASHINGTON – Investigators in the 2001 slaying of Chandra Levy have prepared an arrest warrant for a Salvadoran immigrant convicted of similar attacks in the park where the former intern disappeared, a person close to the investigation said Saturday.
The person told The Associated Press that Ingmar Guandique's arrest is imminent and an official announcement is expected soon. The person was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Levy had just completed an internship with the U.S. Bureau of Prisons when she went missing in May 2001 in Washington, D.C. The 24-year-old was wearing jogging clothes when she vanished, and her remains were discovered in Rock Creek Park a year later.
Authorities questioned former U.S. Rep. Gary Condit in Levy's disappearance, but he was never a suspect in her death. Condit was reportedly having an affair with Levy, and the negative publicity from the case was cited as a main reason the California lawmaker lost re-election in 2002.
Guandique, 27, has denied any involvement in Levy's disappearance and killing. However, investigators interviewed him in the Levy case after he was convicted of attacking two women joggers in Rock Creek Park shortly after her disappearance.
Guandique was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for those attacks. more at link:

Wow!! I just heard on Fox they contacted Chandra's father to tell him of the impending arrest.

DH just played a news video on the case, and apparently they have DNA evidence on the perp- can't spell his name offhand...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbelle
Back