DC DC - Chandra Levy, 24, Washington DC, 1 May 2001 *found deceased in 2002*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WASHINGTON, D.C. - There could be a break in the Chandra Levy case.
A Washington D.C. news station is reporting that inmate Igman Andique told other prisoners that he killed Levy after seeing her in the park where her body was later found.

I hope the D.C. police have something more than a jailhouse confession, or even two or three.

Hope like heck that the new evidence is solid, given that the only thing they have had for a while is a jail-house confession to another inmate. If the new evidence is weak, the jailhouse confession will be tough to prosecute if the inmate he supposedly told stuff to has serious credibility issues.

Nova, if I remember correctly, the article(s) state that this suspect has been arrested and convicted of like crimes in the same park as Chandra's body was found. So, I hope they have more...

I hope the D.C. police have something more than a jailhouse confession, or even two or three.

Nova I was thinking the exact same thing. I hope that LE has caught Chandra's murderer but, I hope there is physical evidence linking him to her or this guy has knowledge only Chandra's killer would know.

Interesting,
fran

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/chandra_levy_31

.............snip...................

Investigators in 2002 questioned Ingmar Guandique, now 27, in the slaying after he was convicted of attacking two women joggers in Washington's Rock Creek Park. They didn't charge him, but statements he made to people while in prison helped lead investigators back to him, said the person, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday.

A law enforcement official who has spoken to investigators said the break came in part from DNA evidence that was either retested or collected, and it was connected to Guandique. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Levy investigation is ongoing

Interesting,
fran

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/chandra_levy_31

.............snip...................

Investigators in 2002 questioned Ingmar Guandique, now 27, in the slaying after he was convicted of attacking two women joggers in Washington's Rock Creek Park. They didn't charge him, but statements he made to people while in prison helped lead investigators back to him, said the person, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity Saturday.

A law enforcement official who has spoken to investigators said the break came in part from DNA evidence that was either retested or collected, and it was connected to Guandique. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Levy investigation is ongoing

Thanks, Fran. I hope there is new DNA evidence and it is convincing. (And then I'll have to wonder what took them so long!)

As I'm sure you know, prisoners may confess to all sorts of things in a place where status is conferred on those who commit sensational crimes. And reports of jailhouse confessions may be elicited from other inmates with promises of parole, better living conditions, etc.

Gary Condit really showed people why they shouldn't cheat on their spouse. He had nothing to with it but it wrecked his career and brought public humiliation to him. He paid a lot for that affair, as well he should. :bang:

:cow:
Susan Levy was responsible for the intense overkill on Gary Condit. I would expect her to do the right thing and offer a publicap ology to the made for single-handedly attempting to ruin his career. But I don't think it will be forthcoming.

Susan Levy was responsible for the intense overkill on Gary Condit. I would expect her to do the right thing and offer a publicap ology to the made for single-handedly attempting to ruin his career. But I don't think it will be forthcoming.

I would agree with you but he brought it on himself, how was she to know he wasn't involved....he wasn't very forthcoming with info.... This is a tough one :confused:

"Investigation was botched by authorities, CNN legal analyst says"

snippet:

Jeffrey Toobin, CNN senior legal analyst: Well, for those of us who have been following this all these years, [Ingmar] Guandique is not a surprise suspect. In fact, one of the big questions about this investigation is why wasn't he focused on earlier.

Romans: And why wasn't he?

Toobin: Well, this was a botched investigation, I think it's safe to say. Remember, Chandra Levy's body was not even found for a year even though police knew where it was. They simply missed it ...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/23/toobin.chandra.levy/index.html

"Investigation was botched by authorities, CNN legal analyst says"

snippet:

Jeffrey Toobin, CNN senior legal analyst: Well, for those of us who have been following this all these years, [Ingmar] Guandique is not a surprise suspect. In fact, one of the big questions about this investigation is why wasn't he focused on earlier.

Romans: And why wasn't he?

Toobin: Well, this was a botched investigation, I think it's safe to say. Remember, Chandra Levy's body was not even found for a year even though police knew where it was. They simply missed it ...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/23/...evy/index.html

Odd doublespeak
They knew where it was but they simply missed it?? :confused:

On AMW (I think) there was a story (some years ago) about "missing interns" or "murdered interns", does anyone remember this? I wonder if this guy has anything to do with the others?

This is an article with an interview with John Walsh: http://archives.cnn.com/2001/COMMUNITY/08/17/walsh/index.html

This is a passage from the article in re. to Chandra Levy:
WALSH: I don't know, but I do know that not knowing is killing the Levy family. I think police should be doing a parallel investigation, looking at Gary Condit, but also looking very closely at the unsolved murders of two young women about the same age as Chandra Levy. Both were of slender build and dark hair, both were former Capitol Hill interns. One was walking home from a barbecue in broad daylight, and was found murdered five days later in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. The other, Joyce Chang, a very accomplished lawyer for the Immigration and Naturalization Service, was missing for more than three months. She lived very close to Chandra Levy. Her body was found 75 miles downstream from Washington in the Potomac River. Both murders remain unsolved. There are incredible similarities to Chandra Levy's story. I believe the D.C. police should not rule out the possibility that there is a very smart serial predator in the Dupont Circle area. To work the case in parallel investigations is simply good police work.

If you all have already looked into or compared these cases, I apologize in advance. :blowkiss:

Police Issue Warrant In Levy Killing
A man already in prison for attacking two women joggers in the park where
Chandra Levy's remains were found is named in an arrest warrant in connection
with her death.
MORE DETAILS: <http://www.wjactv.com/tu/5F0itONyD.html>

Police Issue Warrant In Levy Killing
A man already in prison for attacking two women joggers in the park where
Chandra Levy's remains were found is named in an arrest warrant in connection
with her death.
MORE DETAILS: <http://www.wjactv.com/tu/5F0itONyD.html>

Yay! FINALLY!

Sad too for her family. But,..... at the least, this does answer MANY questions.

Prayers that her parents are finally able to feel some peace. I know they'll miss her 'til the day they die, but at least now they know more than before.

:(
fran

Lawyers: Case Against Chandra Levy Murder Suspect is Weak

There are plenty of witnesses in the case against an imprisoned Salvadoran immigrant accused of killing former D.C. intern Chandra Levy - the ex-girlfriend who says she was beaten, other women he's convicted of attacking and a man believed to be a fellow inmate.

But none of the dozen prosecution witnesses outlined in a March 3 affidavit actually saw the attack on the young woman in a Washington park about eight years ago. Only two directly link Ingmar Guandique, who's expected to arrive in Washington in the next few weeks, to Levy's death.

Prosecutors have nailed convictions in other cases with no physical evidence and only secondhand or circumstantial witness accounts. New evidence could also emerge in the Levy case.

But without forensic evidence linking Levy and Guandique or an eyewitness account, the Levy case offers weaknesses the defense could pounce on, say several attorneys not connected to the case.

Very lengty articlehttp://www.ktla.com/landing_mostinteresting/?Lawyers--Case-Against-Chandra-Levy-Murde=1&blockID=263997&feedID=1080

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarryG
Back