DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

sds71

Reaction score
Last edited:

A sealed indictment was delivered to a D.C.-based magistrate judge that did not include any names.

It was presented to the judge by an individual believed to be the foreman of the grand jury investigating Trump's efforts to overturn the 2020 election. The prosecutor who accompanied the foreman was Molly Gaston.

The government requested the indictment be filed under seal and a summons be issued to the unnamed defendant, a request that was granted by Magistrate Judge Moxila Upadhyaya. This comes as Trump says he expects to be indicted by Smith.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_0304.png
    IMG_0304.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Special counsel Jack Smith has delivered a short statement about today's indictment.

He says since the attack on the US Capitol, the Department of Justice has "remained committed to ensuring accountability for those criminally responsible for what happened that day".

Smith: This case is brought consistent with that commitment, and our investigation of other individuals continues. In this case, my office will seek a speedy trial so that our evidence can be tested in court and judged by a jury of citizens.

In the meantime, I must emphasise that the indictment is only an allegation and that the defendant must be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

I had a quick scroll through the indictment ... Jack Smith's team has built what looks like a decent chronology of an orchestrated plan that started in early December 2020 (pg 23 of the indictment). Even though DT spent time before that fluffing around building election lies.

And one of the co-conspirators is a Justice Dept official (pgs 3 & 4 of the indictment)
  • An attorney who was willing to spread knowingly false claims and pursue strategies that the Defendant's 2020 re-election campaign attorneys would not
  • An attorney who devised and attempted to implement a strategy to leverage the Vice President's ceremonial role overseeing the certification proceeding to obstruct the certification of the presidential election.
  • An attorney whose unfounded claims of election fraud the Defendant privately acknowledged to others sounded "crazy". Nonetheless, the Defendant embraced and publicly amplified co-conspirator three's disinformation.
  • A Justice Department official who worked on civil matters and who, with the Defendant, attempted to use the Justice Department to open sham election crime investigations and influence state legislatures with knowingly false claims of election fraud
  • An attorney who assisted in devising and attempting to implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding
  • A political consultant who helped implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding

According to NBC News, John Eastman’s attorney Harvey Silverglate confirmed in a statement to the news outlet that his client is unindicted Co-conspirator No. 2, named in the 45-page indictment from today. Eastman, a member of Trump’s legal team, created a memo arguing then-Vice President Mike Pence had the power to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

In the weeks leading up to the election, Mr Trump is alleged to have falsely told Mr Pence at least three times he had the authority to reject the electoral results, even though Mr Pence pushed back every time.

One of the conversations took place after Mr Pence called Mr Trump on Christmas to wish him a merry Christmas, prosecutors said.

After Mr Pence pushed back on the plan in a call a week later, Mr Trump told him, "You're too honest," prosecutors said.

Kaitlan Collins
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins
@kaitlancollins

Mike Pence statement: “Today's indictment serves as an important reminder: anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be President of the United States...Our country is more important than one man. Our Constitution is more important than any one man’s career."

Attachments

• IMG_0305.png
    IMG_0305.png
    462.7 KB · Views: 9
I've been waiting for this one.

The first (NYC) indictment? Desperate/overreach in my opinion.
The classified documents inditement(s)? Meh. So far.
But I watched/listened to January 6th unfold live while on my lunch break. He was a menace and absolutely instigated the riot.

In the obstruction charge — which carries up to 20 years in prison
Conspiracy to defraud the US — which is punishable by up to five years in prison
Conspire to interfere with rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution, in this case: the right to vote and have one’s vote counted. It is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

Business Insider has taken an informed guess about the identities of the co-conspirators.

Co-conspirator 1: Rudy Giuliani (lawyer)
Co-conspirator 2: John Eastman (lawyer) - confirmed by Eastman's lawyer, as per JerseyGirl's post above
Co-conspirator 3: Sidney Powell (lawyer)
Co-conspirator 4: Jeffrey Clark (Justice Dept)
Co-conspirator 5: Kenneth Chesebro (lawyer)
Co-conspirator 6: Unclear (political consultant)

Last edited:
The judge in this case is in Washington DC and will not cater to him like Judge Cannon in Florida. I hope they get the speedy trial they want and they must have cameras in the courtroom for one of the most significant trials in our history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper