DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The March 4 date makes sense to me. If this was any other defendant, no one would be saying,"They have a job so they can't show up." Trump has made a mistake in constantly poking the bear with his commentary. It just makes the case that an earlier trial keeps the jury pool more pristine.

12.8 million pages of discovery with 7.8 million from entities associated. Holy Cow!
From Trump federal election interference trial set for March 4 2024
Asked how much discovery Mr Trump had access to before the start of the case, prosecutor Molly Gaston replied that of the 12.8 million pages turned over to Mr Trump, approximately 61 per cent or 7.8 million pages were from “entities associated with the defendant” and were already available to him.

The March 4 date makes sense to me. If this was any other defendant, no one would be saying,"They have a job so they can't show up." Trump has made a mistake in constantly poking the bear with his commentary. It just makes the case that an earlier trial keeps the jury pool more pristine.
I don't think Trump's attorneys helped matters much by attempting to argue their client should effectively receive preferential treatment. Honestly believe had they proposed a summer 2024 date they probably would have gotten it. Way too much overreach on their part.

JMO

12.8 million pages of discovery with 7.8 million from entities associated. Holy Cow!
Asked how much discovery Mr Trump had access to before the start of the case, prosecutor Molly Gaston replied that of the 12.8 million pages turned over to Mr Trump, approximately 61 per cent or 7.8 million pages were from “entities associated with the defendant” and were already available to him.

I love what Judge Chutkin said to Lauro:

“I understand, Mr. Lauro, but you are not getting two more years. This case is not going to trial in 2026,” Chutkan said, adding that the defense could have been prepared for this moment. “Any agent, diligent, zealous defense lawyer would not have been sitting on their hands waiting for an indictment.”
BBM

This is from CNN’s Live Updates that I can’t link separately…

I love what Judge Chutkin said to Lauro:

“I understand, Mr. Lauro, but you are not getting two more years. This case is not going to trial in 2026,” Chutkan said, adding that the defense could have been prepared for this moment. “Any agent, diligent, zealous defense lawyer would not have been sitting on their hands waiting for an indictment.”
BBM

This is from CNN’s Live Updates that I can’t link separately…
Exactly! The defense is delaying simply for the sake of delaying. And if they weren't preparing for the indictment when the entire world knew an indictment was coming, well, that's on the defendant, imo.

The way to win is to prepare.

jmo

Former US President Donald Trump on Aug. 28 said he will appeal the trial date of March 2024 in the case wherein he has been criminally charged over attempts to overturn his 2020 presidential election defeat

He did not mention further details of how or when the appeal will be made and called the probe politically motivated.

https://reut.rs/3EhIOQ2

@SarahNLynch

It's misleading for Trump to claim on social media that he will appeal Judge Chutkan's trial date of March 4. A trial court's scheduling order is not a legit basis to file an appeal at this stage, before a verdict is reached

His own lawyer, John Lauro, conceded as much today in court when he said: "We will certainly abide by your honor's ruling, as we must."

Last edited:
I'm quite certain that they include recordings of his speechs and televised appearances on Fox, telephone conversatiosn that were recorded when talking to the SOS etc.

Also, print screen copies of his tweets and 'MisTruths" about the election etc (there's hundreds of just those for crying out loud).

IE: he should already be very intimately familiar with the vast majority of the discovery because it probably came from him. Keep on yakking and it keeps on piling ...

Former US President Donald Trump on Aug. 28 said he will appeal the trial date of March 2024 in the case wherein he has been criminally charged over attempts to overturn his 2020 presidential election defeat

He did not mention further details of how or when the appeal will be made and called the probe politically motivated.

https://reut.rs/3EhIOQ2
Naturally…..

@GlennThrush

Striking moment inside the courtroom: Judge Chutkan was taken aback at Team Trump's suggestion (in a motion) that the govt's request for speedy trial was comparable to the racial railroading of the Scottsboro Boys in the '30s. Trump's case is "profoundly different," she said.

@ryanjreilly

Donald Trump's case is "profoundly different" from the Scottsboro Boys case, in which Black teenagers were put on trial (in 1930s Alabama) within days of indictment, Chutkan said

Attachments

• IMG_0553.png
    IMG_0553.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 9

“Today a biased, Trump Hating Judge gave me only a two month extension, just what our corrupt government wanted, SUPER TUESDAY. I will APPEAL!” Trump wrote on Truth Social, repeating his claim that his numerous legal problems amount to “election interference” as he runs for a second White House term.

Trump’s team is likely to file motions and attempt to delay the trial, though the date itself cannot directly be appealed.

In addition to attacking Chutkan, Trump called Smith “deranged” and referred to his team of prosecutors as a “team of Thugs.”

In setting the date, Chutkan noted Trump would face trial more than three years from the day a mob of his supporters ransacked the Capitol after attending his rally.

Chutkan also noted that a trial date “cannot and should not” depend on a defendant’s professional obligations, seemingly nodding to Trump’s third bid to capture the presidency, noting that if a professional athlete were on trial “it would be inappropriate to set a trial date to accommodate her schedule.”

@GlennThrush

Striking moment inside the courtroom: Judge Chutkan was taken aback at Team Trump's suggestion (in a motion) that the govt's request for speedy trial was comparable to the racial railroading of the Scottsboro Boys in the '30s. Trump's case is "profoundly different," she said.

@ryanjreilly

Donald Trump's case is "profoundly different" from the Scottsboro Boys case, in which Black teenagers were put on trial (in 1930s Alabama) within days of indictment, Chutkan said

How dare they use the case of the Scottsboro Boys! So he uses a clear case of discrimination when it suits him. Is this some kind of “dog whistle”? The judge rightly smacked them down. There is no similarity at all. But his devoted followers won’t understand that and will accuse the judge of being racist!

Wasn't his lawyer all over TV saying he was ready to go, this was an easy win, he'd read Pences book and knew his cross examination etc etc.

I think Trump probably wishes he hadn't stiffed quite so many law firms in his long and varied career. He's not exactly getting the best of the best, and defending an ex-president in a historic trial would usually be worth it just for the exposure and the CV buff. No matter the chances of winning.

Either really says something about this case or really says something about Trump that absolutely no Law Firm of any size is willing to touch this relatively speedy and straightforward case.

Last edited:

U.S. Judge Tanya Chutkan on Monday set a trial date of March 4 for the federal case in Washington, one of four criminal prosecutions the former president faces.

Trump is due to stand trial in New York on March 25 on state charges of concealing a hush money payment to a *advertiser censored* star. Chutkan said she would consult with the judge in that case to work out any potential scheduling conflicts.

How dare they use the case of the Scottsboro Boys! So he uses a clear case of discrimination when it suits him. Is this some kind of “dog whistle”? The judge rightly smacked them down. There is no similarity at all. But his devoted followers won’t understand that and will accuse the judge of being racist!
I want to think nothing can surprise me or upset me anymore than I am already am and then this. Wow. So much to say but not here. Just wow. I'm (as they say) gobsmacked at the gall.

I am not surprised. I can only imagine the strategy sessions where the conversation is focused on how to rev up the base. The man has hundreds of people around him who are willing to buy into his line of thinking. Those who have left the Trump camp (such as Michael Cohen) certainly have described the group think and the desire to not make Trump unhappy by getting whatever he wants done. Trump does not know these cases but he certainly finds people who are willing to stoop so low, IMHO.

I agree with you 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member