DC - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 4 federal counts in 2020 election interference, 1 Aug 2023, Trial 4 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BritsKate said:
snipped...

You're a much better human than me. ;) I'd have his malignantly narcissistic self in solitary at Gitmo before he even made an initial appearance which is why I'd be banned from going near the courtroom.

Laughing So Hard Smiley

snipped

I totally agree. And I think he's intimidating witnesses - he does not hold back and WILL attack people when it benefits him. Think of Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, for example.

I shouldn't be surprised when people can't won't see fault in him, but I continually am surprised nonetheless. Exercising first-amendment rights doesn't mean he is truthful or honorable when he talks or tweets.

jmo
Agreed; and, key to this is that Trump signed a bond agreement that intimidation etc would not be undertaken by him to influence/threaten the jury pool.

Smith is properly and simply pointing out that Trump is breaking this agreement daily ... once again, he is trying to have the court hold Trump accountable for Trump disregarding his bond agreement. That's not political nor is a breach of Trump's "free speach" -- it is pointing out that Trump is disregarding his bond. ANY other citien in Amercian would be subject to arrest fr breaking their bond .... yet some think Trump shuld be above this. No man is above the law. SMH.

Refresher of the case:

J6 committee subpoenaed Navarro, but he didn't show up. He was charged with contempt of Congress.

Navarro claimed he could not testify to the J6 committee because his dealings with Trump fell under executive privilege. The judge denied this defense because Navarro could not supply evidence of such privilege.

So, it appears, Navarro offered no defense at trial.

Prosecutors said," Congress issued Mr. Navarro a subpoena. It wasn't voluntary. It wasn't an invitation."

If convicted, the sentence would be 30 days to one year.

The efforts to keep the defendant off the ballot based on Section 3 of 14th amendment is gaining traction. Section 3 states that anyone who took an oath of office and then was involved in an insurrection should be barred from holding office again.

A lawsuit in Colorado has been filed.

A Florida lawsuit was dismissed, ruling the plaintiffs didn't have standing.

The New Hampshire Secretary of State is looking into the legalities of keeping the defendant off the ballot.

14th amendment:

The efforts to keep the defendant off the ballot based on Section 3 of 14th amendment is gaining traction. Section 3 states that anyone who took an oath of office and then was involved in an insurrection should be barred from holding office again.

A lawsuit in Colorado has been filed.

A Florida lawsuit was dismissed, ruling the plaintiffs didn't have standing.

The New Hampshire Secretary of State is looking into the legalities of keeping the defendant off the ballot.

14th amendment:
Regarding Colorado, Trump responds to the lawsuit to keep him off the ballot. Looks like he wants to remove it to federal court. I haven't read the document yet, but wanted to post so others can read it.

We might need a new thread for 14th amendment lawsuits???

jmo

Court document: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cod.227367/gov.uscourts.cod.227367.1.0.pdf

WASHINGTON — Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro was convicted Thursday of criminal contempt of Congress for failing to comply with a congressional subpoena related to the plot to overturn the 2020 election.

The jury deliberated for about four hours at a federal courthouse in Washington before it found Navarro guilty of two counts of contempt for refusing to testify before the House Jan. 6 committee and turn over subpoenaed documents.

Just FYI, I've heard it reported that the defense Navarro planned on was to cite executive privilege but the judge rejected it last week.

I tend to be of the mind if you don't put up a defense it's because you don't have a defense. JMO
The judge rejected that defense because the defense offered no evidence that executive privilege had been invoked.

Seems like that evidence would come from Trump, if it existed. So, I conclude it didn't exist or Trump didn't want to help. Either one looks bad for Navarro.

I don't think putting on "no defense" necessarily means there is no defense. It can literally mean the prosecution didn't make it's case.

In this particular situation, however, I do agree it meant there was no defense!

jmo

The judge rejected that defense because the defense offered no evidence that executive privilege had been invoked.

Seems like that evidence would come from Trump, if it existed. So, I conclude it didn't exist or Trump didn't want to help. Either one looks bad for Navarro.

I don't think putting on "no defense" necessarily means there is no defense. It can literally mean the prosecution didn't make it's case.

In this particular situation, however, I do agree it meant there was no defense!

jmo
You're absolutely right and I'm so biased against the players in this case my mind is constantly on cynic mode. I always assume the worst with this bunch.

Regarding Colorado, Trump responds to the lawsuit to keep him off the ballot. Looks like he wants to remove it to federal court. I haven't read the document yet, but wanted to post so others can read it.

jmo

Court document: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cod.227367/gov.uscourts.cod.227367.1.0.pdf

"This case arises under the 14th Amendment. Although Plaintiffs have drafted their Verified Petition in a manner that ostensibly relies on state claims, in fact every state claim — indeed every effort to bar Trump from running for President — relies solely on the application of U.S. Const. 14th Amend, Sec. 3," Trump wrote in his filing.

Therefore, he argued, the case should be heard in federal court — where he could have additional legal defenses.

Trump on Friday slammed the liberal organization, contending it’s affiliated with a number of his critics and people with whom he clashed as president. He called the group “TRUMP DERANGED CREW” on his social media network Truth Social said it was “ridiculously” and “Unconstitutionally” trying to disqualify him

CREW said it will ask a federal judge to return the case to state court. It has also requested a speedy ruling on the issues before Colorado’s Republican primary ballot is finalized on Jan. 5.

jmo

Not sure where to put 14th amendment developments??? Here? on the J6 thread? A separate thread for 14th amendment lawsuits/legal actions?

Anyway, until that is decided, here's recent development regarding Colorado:

Roger Parloff

@rparloff

A day after Trump’s attys removed to federal court a state court action seeking to bar Trump from the CO ballots under § 3 of the 14th Amendment (barring insurrectionists from office), Trump’s lawyers have conceded that the case must be remanded to state court in Denver ... /1

Tell you what - NEVER in my life did I think I would need a spreadsheet to keep track of all the crimes an ex-President had been charged with. And I was in college during Watergate!
I know!!!!

I am resisting a spreadsheet because I like the process of handwriting notes and literally being "hands on" with projects. I'm struggling with my old-school style and totally rely on @Niner's posts to keep it all straight.

The attorneys special counsel Jack Smith has recruited to prosecute former president Donald Trump come from several divisions of the Justice Department, joining to work full time on two of the most highly scrutinized cases in the nation.
One group of prosecutors is investigating Trump’s alleged mishandling of classified materials at Mar-a-Lago, his Florida residence and private club. The other is examining his alleged efforts to overturn the results of President Biden’s 2020 election victory — a case that parallels a separate, state-level investigation in Fulton County, Ga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper