DC DC - Relisha Tenau Rudd, 8, SE DC, 26 Feb 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of his interactions with the residents at the shelter, little is known about Tatum and his wife, Andrea Denise Tatum, who was found dead of a gunshot wound Thursday.
Tatum was employed by the Community Partnership for the Prevention of Homelessness, a nonprofit organization that operates the shelter under contract with the city. Sue A. Marshall, its executive director, confirmed that Tatum worked for the group but did not know when he started working at the shelter and declined to comment further about him.
Court records indicate that Tatum, previously known as Karl Lee Tatum, was arrested and prosecuted several times since the early 1980s in the District and Virginia on breaking-and-entering and larceny charges, most recently in 2003.
In recent months, Tatum and his wife lived in an apartment in the Fairlawn section of Southeast Washington, not far from the Sousa Bridge. Neighbors there described the couple as quiet and unassuming.
“Nothing out of the ordinary,” said Shirley Miller, 46, who lives in the building next door.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...469b3e-b2a3-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html

This man is not acting rationally. If he was he would have disposed of her body so no one knew that Relisha was not with him and his wife. Now the heat is really on him with a murder charge as well. I have terrible thoughts about what this little girl is going through. I am afraid that he will do something to her if LE get too close so he can make his escape without dragging a child along. JMOO

I agree with you. You have to *want change in order to receive change. I think it's safe to say that Shamika was comfortable allowing others to take care of her and her children verses she herself doing it. They had been at the shelter a good while, not just recently and I understand the waiting lists for section 8 housing and the qualifications to receive it, she could have been saving back money for furniture or anything else besides high end items that the kids are going to grow out of, and drugs.

Just jumping off one of the many thought-provoking posts I have read on this thread:
I have ZERO experience with homeless shelters, and I never imagined that they might exist on a scale of a hospital. So I'm hoping one of you can give me some insight into a shelter such as this one.

1)While the kids are away at school, what do the adults do all day? I'm guessing that some of them do have jobs, but I'm assuming many of them do not work, so how are those hours commonly spent? Is everyone spending time in common areas? Are there sometimes seminars about free job training, or parenting, or anything like that?

2)Why does a homeless shelter need to hire a janitor? Seems to me as though a hospital-sized building full of non-paying tenants ought to have more than enough people who are grateful for the roof over their heads, that they would be able to keep that place sparkling like a diamond. And even those who are mentally or physically challenged can do something helpful to earn their keep. I just never in a million years imagined that a homeless shelter would have to pay someone to keep it clean. Sorry if that comes across more harshly than I mean it, but my mind is truly blown by this.

JMO.

Just a guess, but there's probably some law that says they can't be required to do work in the shelter.

Not a homeless shelter, but a shelter for people with severe disabilities, mental or physical issues in our area, the residents at one point had their own 'city' within the grounds of the shelter/institution/training school, that is safe for them, and safe for the community. Had their own canteen, laundry, nursery area, senior area, swing sets, etc. Anyway, the residents that could enjoyed helping do chores. They had nothing else to occupy their minds or their time, and wanted and needed that structure in their lives. Some folded towels, cloth diapers, helped get up the trash, sorted drink cans from trash, helped prepare and serve meals, kept on eye on the ones that weren't as able, etc. It wasn't REQUIRED of any of residents, but it wasn't turned away if they wanted to help. They were taught the correct rules, etc for each task. Govt decided that they couldn't do the chores at all. Weren't even allowed into the areas of laundry, cooking, etc. I know because my cousin lives in this place, and became very depressed. He can't talk, has no fingers to sign language, can't write, so he can only answer yes or no questions, yet he is intelligent! We learned that's why he was so upset and depressed. He didn't have a job. A purpose in life in his mind. Strangely enough, he can work for the sheltered workshop that isn't where he lives.

Just jumping off one of the many thought-provoking posts I have read on this thread:
I have ZERO experience with homeless shelters, and I never imagined that they might exist on a scale of a hospital. So I'm hoping one of you can give me some insight into a shelter such as this one.

1)While the kids are away at school, what do the adults do all day? I'm guessing that some of them do have jobs, but I'm assuming many of them do not work, so how are those hours commonly spent? Is everyone spending time in common areas? Are there sometimes seminars about free job training, or parenting, or anything like that?

2)Why does a homeless shelter need to hire a janitor? Seems to me as though a hospital-sized building full of non-paying tenants ought to have more than enough people who are grateful for the roof over their heads, that they would be able to keep that place sparkling like a diamond. And even those who are mentally or physically challenged can do something helpful to earn their keep. I just never in a million years imagined that a homeless shelter would have to pay someone to keep it clean. Sorry if that comes across more harshly than I mean it, but my mind is truly blown by this.

JMO.
Wow, this whole story is just bizarre.

Anyway, to answer your first question, the homeless shelters I've had contact with usually make people get out during the day. If they didn't, people would just hang out 24/7 and not try to do anything to better themselves. Most people either go into some sort of educational/trade program, go to work, or are out on the streets panhandling until the shelter opens in the evening. Making people leave also eliminates the need for staff to be present during the day which reduces costs.

With regards to your second statement, I'm not really surprised they had a janitor. I volunteered in one shelter that offered tons of other services besides being a shelter (job training, meals, clothing donations, a low-cost daycare, etc.) and had offices that handled each of those services. They did have a janitor that came in to clean the offices and daycare center because they had some issues previously with theft when having the persons living in the shelter cleaning those areas.

A janitor in a homeless shelter, wearing designer clothing (a suit? really???), handing out gifts to the kids there. That's not suspicious at all, nope. Quarters for the machine I can see, sure, but the rest is just insane and WHY was none of this reported to those who run the shelter?

Sorry, I've been following but not commenting, and this article pushed me over the edge. This did not have to happen. Someone could have spoken up, or someone could have listened. His behavior was not okay. I would have pitched a full-on fit if I were a parent there.

I wonder if any of the other children he was being generous to have parents who immediately raised an eyebrow and had their child stay away . Perhaps he was fishing for a child whose parent was not concerned by his behavior .

I know, I keep hoping I'm wrong though - I mean, there is a HUUUUUGE chance I am. But It looks like 2 sets of adult feet and 2 sets of kid feet. I wish I knew where that money came from, because she didn't have employment as a nurse or at Hugo Boss in order to get a tax return. There's also a bunch o' rules in getting a return when you're on assistance to that degree.

:( Either way, if they were given that money honestly (govt, friend, tax return, job) then I'd hope Relisha would have a pair awaiting her.

Actually the people that don't work a lot or make very little, get the most back on their return. And I know people on assistance that still file tax returns. So it's very possible that's her income tax money.

Also I'm not sure why everyone is hung up on the shoes. The picture with the Jordans clearly shows 5 pairs of feet, 1 female adult pair, 3 kids boys pairs and one pink girls pair.

4 kids, 4 pairs of shoes.

Am I missing something?

I know a family that works when they choose to, cleaning houses, yard work, etc. They have four children and the mother told me they got 3100.00 in tax refunds. My daughter who is in school, works 35 hours a week, and has no children, had to pay a few hundred dollars because she had only one dependent. So it can happen if you know how to work it.

poor Relisha I'm going to guess mother was abused every which way as a child and looking at her daughter brings it back to her (hence the constantly sending relisha way) mother's page shows her to be self medicated most of the time......i'm angry at this woman but find myself having sympathy for her obvious brokenness.

It's called 'income tax'. No income = no tax = no refund.

You can qualify for an earned income tax credit under certain conditions including, if you've worked AT ANYTIME during the tax year, or under certain instances if you have a disability or have a child who has a disability. Often this earned income tax credits allow people with children and sometimes without children, to recieve a tax refund , and some times a pretty hefty one.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Do-I-Qualify-for-EITC?

JMO.

I have never worked in a shelter that large or did any advocacy in one either, most that I do are at tops - 20 families. But it's pretty standard what the adults do all day.

In your avg shelter there is a sign up and list of things to do in order to receive benefits (like TANF, foodstamps, medicaid or disability.). Anyone receiving TANF must either enroll in school or get a job, unless you are listed as disabled or pregnant. There are classes you must take while on TANF if you are able bodied to work. These are employment classes and they are once a week. Once you complete them you are required to get a job within a time frame.

For most adults though, they go out during the day if they aren't looking for a job. All shelters have a curfew though, typically between 8- 10pm.

Considering that KT seems to have been able to preset himself well he may have the ability to blend into areas better than most. So far everything that has happen has been within a relatively small geographical area. But that was before LE was on to him. He was getting money from someone or somewhere for clothes and gifts he was giving to Relisha. With both of their faces plastered all over the news (Unless he had a stash of money that he can lay low with) I think that now he will have a problem especially with a child, and will have to resort to crime.
That means he will need to turn to the underbelly of society to stay hidden and that is going to make it even harder to find this poor child.

My gut tells me this man will connect with family at some point to get a vehicle or money. The question is …. Will he still have little Relisha with him and will they contact LE.

I don't know where people are getting that Tatum and his wife were married for 21 years? On his facebook page, he says he married his wife December 30, 2011. That would make them married for 2 years not 21. I believe they were both 51 years old. In one facebook photo, the two of them are holding a young child on their laps. I thought maybe that was a grandchild from a previous marriage of one of them. According to one news article posted in this forum, his wife recovered in a substance abuse program and was active in her church and was going to church on the day she was killed. It appears that Mr. Tatum had been in jail/prison until 2 months before he married. His release date and wedding date were 2 months apart. I didn't see it say anywhere if his wife had a job and was working. Nor do I know how much money he made working at the shelter that he could afford to give gifts to children at the shelter. Also, people interviewed said he was a sharp dresser, which would make it seem that he had a little bit of money. But since he got evicted from his apartment, it would seem that he didn't use his money to pay his rent. Unless he was evicted for another reason.

I don't know where people are getting that Tatum and his wife were married for 21 years? On his facebook page, he says he married his wife December 30, 2011. That would make them married for 2 years not 21. I believe they were both 51 years old. In one facebook photo, the two of them are holding a young child on their laps. I thought maybe that was a grandchild from a previous marriage of one of them. According to one news article posted in this forum, his wife recovered in a substance abuse program and was active in her church and was going to church on the day she was killed. It appears that Mr. Tatum had been in jail/prison until 2 months before he married. His release date and wedding date were 2 months apart. I didn't see it say anywhere if his wife had a job and was working. Nor do I know how much money he made working at the shelter that he could afford to give gifts to children at the shelter. Also, people interviewed said he was a sharp dresser, which would make it seem that he had a little bit of money. But since he got evicted from his apartment, it would seem that he didn't use his money to pay his rent. Unless he was evicted for another reason.

Because he says so on one of their photos together. I think someone says if you don’t put a year, it automatically defaults to that when you are listing your wedding date. So not sure which is true, but he says himself that it was 21 years on a photo.

The child we thought at first was the granddaughter he said he had that played with Relisha. However, since then it has been reported he had no kids, so I am not sure who the child is now…

Someone upthread mentioned what was he going to do for money....in all his wife's photos she is wearing lots of rings. Now of course I don't know if they are real gold or silver and gems, but if so, he could pawn those. I wonder if her jewelry is missing? She is wearing lots of necklaces as well. If they are missing, LE needs to let the public know in case he tries selling them 'on the streets' or pawn shops.

I'm just getting caught up here, what a scary situation !
I'm praying for little relisha.
Does anyone now the last time relisha was seen? Was she seen after she went to stay with the janitor?

Is this still on the news etc, and have the family made a plea for her safe return? Xx

I'm just getting caught up here, what a scary situation !
I'm praying for little relisha.
Does anyone now the last time relisha was seen? Was she seen after she went to stay with the janitor?

Is this still on the news etc, and have the family made a plea for her safe return? Xx

Hi lillybell! Relisha was seen at her elementary school after KT had her, on both March 5 and March 7, although on 3/7 she wasn't attending school but she was seen at the school (no information about what she was doing there)

Her mom did make a plea for her to be returned, as did her stepdad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC