DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case has got to be one of the most bizarre cases I have ever heard about.

I cannot believe the ruthlessness of it with killing everyone.

The possibilities of who had the brainstorm of this crime is incredible right now.
So far, the possibilities include these below. Any others?

1-Random Perp(s)

2-Perp(s) that knew someone related in some way to that house and they were in on the planning

3-Same as #2 but the perp(s) came up with plan without their knowledge

4-SS himself but only planned for a fake robbery and perp(s) killed him too once perp(s) got money. Could be plausible because the Porsche thing almost seems like a plant to convince a robbery.

5-SS planned for a fake robbery with wife being killed for insurance money. This one could be plausible because he had so many things going on at the time with the new opening of a new business so maybe stress got to him and he wanted out.

6-Same as #5 or #6 but wife's planning instead of SS.

I am not considering 4,5,6. There is just nothing to suggest that this poor murdered family had one thing to do with what happened to them or their maid.

If he wanted to fake a robbery to get insurance money all he had to do is let them go in a steal when no one was there.

This was either done by a stranger or someone that knew they had valuables in the home. Maybe talked about by someone that use to work for them or does some kind of work for them at home now. And if either one of them wanted one of their family members killed all they had to do is let the person go in when the other one wasn't there.

I remember how heartbreaking it was when Dr. Petit was blamed by many at first as being involved in the death of his family members.:(

I think all four are total victims to those who are criminals who wanted what they had worked hard to have.

Unfortunately, there have been other cases this sadistic where entire families including children have been murdered inside their home and robbery was the motive.

Even the Police Chief doesn't know if they were randomly hit or if it was someone they knew.

IMO

If SS had cuttings etc on his body that seem indicative of a torture situation that was ongoing, then I don't see him as part of this.

Actually, that child looked just like him, his only son...I just don't see his involvement.

He was dead of his wounds before the fire, as were 2 other victims.

He just doesnt work for me as a suspect. Of course, on Law and Order, the rich businessman is ALWAYS the bad guy....

Snipped

I'm having difficulty processing my thoughts.

As for the Porsche, was it left near the church that they belonged to? If so, the perp may have taken it so someone might think it was Amy in the vehicle.

What a sad and perplexing case.

No, it was left at an Episcopal church and the family was Greek Orthodox.

Someone brought up yesterday about the fancy car being one of the keys to helping solve this case and I agree it will help LE.

There is something really strange about why burn the car and why leave car with bucket.

I can only think of 2 reasons why the car was taken and burned.

1-The perp(s) had been in that car on Wed at some point and wanted to burn the car to help destroy evidence.

2-The perp(s) wanted the car really bad and then decided as they were driving it home that it was way too risky to have the victim's car in their possession.

#2 seems unlikely because they surely would have thought of that before taking it one would think. So going with #1. And hoping that burning it did not destroy some place where prints or DNA can capture the perp's ID.

I was watching another case on one of those crime shows where they got 2 partial prints from 2 different areas of the steering wheel and pieced together a whole fingerprint that way to ID the guy. Even with the fire, I think LE may be able to gain good evidence from that car.

For that matter they may be able to get good evidence in the house too as far as fingerprints or DNA from the perp.

I think he burned it to erase any possible evidence, but I also think he burned it because he's a jerk.

The perp "overkills" and burning the car fits the pattern of going overboard with the violence and destruction. I think he is destructive and cruel simply because he can be.

JMO

Why did SS inform NG that Amy was going out?

Purely speculative on my part, but could NG and SS have been involved with each other?

How much preparation has to go into a martial arts facility? All one needs is a building and not much more.

As for the Porsche, was it left near the church that they belonged to? If so, the perp may have taken it so someone might think it was Amy in the vehicle.

If SS actually had said conversation with NG, then my guess is that Amy really was going out that evening. I bet that was what the plan was all along until whatever happened here started happening. The story only changed once SS was being directed what to say to NG or whomever else. That is just my guess, though.

The Church the family belongs to (St. Sophia) is actually in DC, I don't think too far from where they lived. I used to live in that general area but it has been several years.

He went to the kitchen door at the house and then his phone rang. It was Mr. Savopoulous telling him that he forgot to tell him that Vera was spending the night and she was ok. The husband did not see Mr. Savopoulous.
This is what I heard in the video. That is what you heard. My post was moo. Your post seems like fact when it isn't. ...yet.

I think he burned it to erase any possible evidence, but I also think he burned it because he's a jerk.

The perp "overkills" and burning the car fits the pattern of going overboard with the violence and destruction. I think he is destructive and cruel simply because he can be.

JMO

I've actually wondered if the Porsche was taken and ultimately burned to spite its owner. It's a very ostentatious automobile, high performance but also high visibility.

I don't have a set in stone opinion of who is responsible for this.

But, it is possible that the wife or husband had this set up to rid themselves of the other, without any intent to harm the child. Could be why the boy was in a separate room.

At this point, in my mind, everyone is a suspect except for the boy.

I am not considering 4,5,6. There is just nothing to suggest that this poor murdered family had one thing to do with what happened to them or their maid.

If he wanted to fake a robbery to get insurance money all he had to do is let them go in a steal when no one was there.

This was either done by a stranger or someone that knew they had valuables in the home. Maybe talked about by someone that use to work for them or does some kind of work for them at home now. And if either one of them wanted one of their family members killed all they had to do is let the person go in when the other one wasn't there.

I remember how heartbreaking it was when Dr. Petit was blamed by many at first as being involved in the death of his family members.:(

I think all four are total victims to those who are criminals and wanted what they had worked for.

Unfortunately, there have been other cases this sadistic where entire families including children have been murdered inside their home and robbery was the motive.

Even the Police Chief doesn't know if they were randomly hit or if it was someone they knew.

IMO

Yeah, I am leaning to 1-3 at this point.

There are just some very SMALL things that seem a little "off" and is the only reason I think 4 or 5 could be possible. Things like the elite private out of state schools for the other 2 kids. Thats nice he was able to send his kids to private high schools although part of me wonders why out of state. Just seems a little unusual to me to have out of state schools for high school. NJ + PA
College is common. I never heard of it with High School although I dont know rich people either.
He had so many things going on at the time with all his endeavors and the new business. I could see where stress may have taken its toll but I could also see where he was the father of the year and doing the best he could for his family.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...140154-fbf7-11e4-9030-b4732caefe81_story.html

snipped

Purely speculative on my part, but could NG and SS have been involved with each other?

It think the "Amy is going out tonight" comment was part of an everyday conversation the two had when they were in person. That's how I originally took it. I'd like to see a friend or associate's of Amy's speak up and confirm s/he had plans with Amy that were canceled Wednesday night. I would think that if Amy were indeed going out (which seems to fit her social reputation), she would go out with someone and not alone. So, did that person receive a phone call or text from Amy to cancel or was the person stood up?

We only know this info because NG said the conversation happened. It's possible Amy had no plans to go out and NG concocted the story. At this point, I'm still believing NG but the schedule of her week is nagging at me.

I didn't think so before, but I now think SS saying Amy was in bed all day Wednesday is a clue, either for NG to be concerned or later for LE to figure out the happenings of the day. If he says Amy was in bed all day, maybe that's a clue to LE that any withdrawal from the bank on Wednesday was NOT by Amy. ???

I do not suspect SS and NG were having an affair.

JMO.

I think all four are total victims to those who are criminals who wanted what they had worked hard to have.

IMO

bruce johnson ‏@brucejohnson9 4m4 minutes ago
New: MPD Chief Cathy Lanier can't say if Wealthy NW family was targeted in four murders or picked at random @wusa9

Re your statement above that the police chief doesn't know whether targeted or random, this is the only statement I've seen by the chief on this issue, and I don't read this as stating that the police chief doesn't know whether targeted or random, only that she's not saying. MOO

*edited to add: if you have seen her say this elsewhere, I would be interested in seeing the link. IMO, the chief and all MPD have been playing this one very close to the vest. MOO

I am going with:

2-Perp(s) that knew someone related in some way to that house and they were in on the planning

If the perp was so afraid of evidence then I two thoughts on this:

1. Perp has a criminal history and doesn't want finger, hair, or DNA left behind because it would be an easy match.
2. Would coincide with number 2 above because again easy identifiable.

Here is something I haven't seen discussed:

The dojo was opening on Friday. People were coming from out of town for the opening. This has even been posted on a facebook page. Wouldn't there been an elevated presence of people coming to the house on Wednesday all the way to Friday? From what I gather these are friends that go back decades. Was there a partner with him on the Dojo. I am sorry if rambling but again this was a big week for the family with the opening of this.

This case has got to be one of the most bizarre cases I have ever heard about.

I cannot believe the ruthlessness of it with killing everyone.

The possibilities of who had the brainstorm of this crime is incredible right now.
So far, the possibilities include these below. Any others?

1-Random Perp(s)

3-Same as #2 but the perp(s) came up with plan without their knowledge

4-SS himself but only planned for a fake robbery and perp(s) killed him too once perp(s) got money. Could be plausible because the Porsche thing almost seems like a plant to convince a robbery.

5-SS planned for a fake robbery with wife being killed for insurance money. This one could be plausible because he had so many things going on at the time with the new opening of a new business so maybe stress got to him and he wanted out. The perp(s) could have had resentment and decided to kill him too or he accidentally died in fire after trying to fake looking like he was a tied up/beat up victim.

6-Same as #4 or #5 but wife's planning instead of SS.
Since learning that NG runs a housekeeping service, I had been wondering if there had been any other housekeepers working at the Savopoulos home in recent months since it would be a good way for someone to familiarize themselves with the house and the family. I believe someone else here already mentioned that possibility.

Also, this family did a lot of entertaining -- of neighbors, and perhaps business associates and associates from volunteer activity -- so they've had many house guests through the years. I'm wondering if there was a guest who went out of his to familiarize himself with the household. He may have just seemed bold and overly friendly to people. Since they had a large house with many rooms, had they had any long-term guests staying there in recent months? Again, someone who went out of his way to familiarize himself with the household.

I was thinking of this because I had a house guest a few months ago who was just scary. We were friends my last 1½ years of college, around 30 years ago. We'd seen each other once after college and she would contact me every few years (but wouldn't respond to my attempts to contact her). She started calling me on a regular basis after her husband left (she had him arrested) and she was trying to pay off the mortgage to their house even though she wasn't working (claims she is too disabled). She was soliciting everyone for money, even me although I was receiving government assistance to pay my rent -- because she said she deserved her house. Eventually, she deserted her home and started living out of extended-stay hotels until she said she ran out of money because her ex didn't send spousal support payments on time. After I agreed to allow her to stay with me, I didn't feel so good about the arrangement so I hid all of my financial papers the best I could but my house is very small and she stayed home all day long while I was at work. She also insisted that she stay here while I went to visit my family for 3 days at Thanksgiving, but was finally able to get her to go along. But, the first night she was here, after I showed her the room where she'd be staying, she followed me into my bedroom although I started to close the door behind me. Then, she watched as I picked up my purse on the other side of the room and looked over my shoulder, smiling, as I looked through my purse for something. She did a lot of other things that made me feel so uneasy and I had a hard time getting her to leave. I was so relieved when she finally did leave, but she kept asking to keep some of my possessions. My locks were changed within a few hours of her leaving. She showed no signs of violence, but I certainly don't trust her.

I'm sure SS wouldn't allow someone to walk all over him, especially since he has a family to defend. But there are some people who are just very forceful, like my guest and she is a female who claims she was abused by her ex. I hope LE are interviewing neighbors, business associates and other people the family routinely associated with, to find if there might have been someone previously in their home who acted very suspiciously. JMO, but I don't get the impression the family knew the perp too well yet at the same time I just don't get the sense this was completely random.

How much preparation has to go into a martial arts facility? All one needs is a building and not much more.

We've only got NG's word for that. What we've been told by NG is that SS told her Amy was going out on Wednesday.

Authorities could spend the next week or even longer collecting evidence inside the burned house in Northwest Washington in which three members of a family and a housekeeper were killed last week, D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said on Tuesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...408e1c-fe33-11e4-805c-c3f407e5a9e9_story.html

Lanier said tips are coming in as detectives painstakingly go through the house, with evidence collection challenged by the fire and the efforts by firefighters to put it out. “Detectives have made tremendous progress,” Lanier said on the call-in show. “I feel really good about the leads we’re working.”

I am going with:

If the perp was so afraid of evidence then I two thoughts on this:

1. Perp has a criminal history and doesn't want finger, hair, or DNA left behind because it would be an easy match.
2. Would coincide with number 2 above because again easy identifiable.

Here is something I haven't seen discussed:

The dojo was opening on Friday. People were coming from out of town for the opening. This has even been posted on a facebook page. Wouldn't there been an elevated presence of people coming to the house on Wednesday all the way to Friday? From what I gather these are friends that go back decades. Was there a partner with him on the Dojo. I am sorry if rambling but again this was a big week for the family with the opening of this.
I keep seeing references to a facebook page, and yet I have no idea what or where it is. Can someone, anyone, please provide a link?

Every time I read NG my brain processes it as Nancy Grace. Grrrr

Couple reportedly told housekeeper not to come before being killed in DC mansion

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/1...eeper-not-to-visit-before-being-killed-in-dc/

On Wednesday night, Savvas Savopoulos left a voicemail for one of the housekeepers, saying she should not come in Thursday because his wife Amy was sick, ABC News reported Monday.

Savvas Savopoulos had told Gutierrez on Wednesday that his wife had plans to go out. But in the voicemail that night, he said Amy Savopoulos had been sick in bed, according to The Associated Press.

bbm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member