DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that seems pretty rough considering that knowledge of a theft (or some kind of illegal funny biz) pales in comparison to knowledge (or direct hands-on participation) of the brutal murder of four people. So, if my friend tells me she is going to shoplift a mascara* and she ends up hitting the undercover cop who follows her out to the parking lot with her car door iand that UC falls and hits her head resulting in her death (I am being totally outlandish, just so I can understand how far this goes) would I be held accountable for that UC's death because I didn't alert of LE? Or is it only in greater crimes? (My friend did tell me she was going to shoplift a mascara when I was 15 and she got caught! Lesson learned. No stealing, no matter how innocent it might seem.)

If your friend tells you she is going to steal some mascara and wants you to be a look out, but she ends up killing the cashier, then YES, you could be charged with murder as well. Even if you had no plans to participate in the killing. But just the simple fact of agreeing to participate in a crime, in which a murder occurs during the commission of that crime, makes you complicit in the murder as well. HARD TRUTH

If the defense waives the prelim...nothing. If the prelim happens it will be like a mini trial.

Can/will additional charges against DW be added at the preliminary hearing? Such as murder of PS, AS & VF.

Don't they have the texts from Savvas' phone to JW? I mean not that it was necessarily Savvas texting, but how would JW know it WAS not Mr. S? Just because you get a text from someone's phone doesn't mean the owner of the phone is the one texting you.

According to the charging docs, JW stated that the instructions to drop off the money in the red car in the garage came from a phone call made by JW to SS's phone 10 mins before arrival. (This may or may not have been SS talking, and it may or may not have been instructions to drop off money in the car. We are relying on information from someone who was purposefully lying until being shown info that made him have to change his story.) It wasn't a text. The text you might be thinking of was JW's at 10:26 made to SS's phone. Something to the extent of: "The package has been delivered." So the only info about the car has come from JW.

added: Or, what you might be thinking of, there was a text on Weds night from JW to SS's phone that said "I got your messages. I will let you know when I picked up the package."

In the interview, JW told LE that he first got the message that very morning (Thurs) from SS to pick up a package, but when LE showed JW that he had actually sent a text the night before indicating that he knew he was supposed to pick up a package, JW said he had just forgotten that it actually came the night before the deaths, not that same morning on which he showed up before 9 AM to pick up the money. (Forgetful guy that JW!)

As far as I know all arrests are public record. I think this falls under habeus corpus . Unless certain a portion of "patriot" act is envoked then they don't have to tell anyone where you are.. I think JW will be prosecution witness. If they do not have enough evidence to indict others for this crime and DW doesn't talk they will only try DW.
This question will expose my lack of knowledge of how criminal procedures work:

As we know LE has said that this crime required assistance and there are multiple reasons to believe that, just based on the crime, the amount of pizza, the convoy, the suggestion of insider knowledge, the description of well-groomed guy driving Porsche, etc. Are arrests always automatically made public record? Is there any scenario in which it's possible that someone is being held by LE and the public would not be aware?

Don't worry, I am not going into any form of law anytime soon.

Can/will additional charges against DW be added at the preliminary hearing? Such as murder of PS, AS & VF.
Additional charges can be added through several hearings but they must be shared with the defendant's attorney and he will ask for discovery. Then more information will be out in the public. If US Atty is continuing a long investigation he would be better off to leave the lesser charges until later because he has Wint in jail without bond.

JW has not been charged with obstruction of anything. He admitted his first account was wrong and corrected it.

But how would LE be able to check out JW's story (let alone clear) that the money was dropped in the car in the garage without DW corroborating? There is a door inside the garage that leads to into the house. So, unless, the garage was open and video from across the street showed JW opening that car door (unlocked, not locating a key like in his first account) how on earth could LE say that this account was accurate? I think this is why they outed him in the media, IMO.

Also, to be ultra-clear, LE has not ever even slightly indicated that they have checked out his stories and they checked out. This is your guess. And it is as sound (but only as sound) as mine.

According to the charging docs, JW stated that the instructions to drop off the money in the red car in the garage came from a phone call made by JW to SS's phone 10 mins before arrival. (This may or may not have been SS talking, and it may or may not have been instructions to drop off money in the car. We are relying on information from someone who was purposefully lying until being shown info that made him have to change his story.) It wasn't a text. The text you might be thinking of was JW's at 10:26 made to SS's phone. Something to the extent of: "The package has been delivered." So the only info about the car has come from JW.

added: Or, what you might be thinking of, there was a text on Weds night from JW to SS's phone that said "I got your messages. I will let you know when I picked up the package."

In the interview, JW told LE that he first got the message that very morning (Thurs) from SS to pick up a package, but when LE showed JW that he had actually sent a text the night before indicating that he knew he was supposed to pick up a package, JW said he had just forgotten that it actually came the night before the deaths, not the morning on which he showed up before 9 AM to pick up the money. (Forgetful guy that JW!)

I think I might be forgetful too if my boss and his family were murdered and the home torched. Not that this gives him a get out of jail free card though.

He said he left the money in the red car in a manila envelope in the driver's seat. LE searched the car and didn't find the money or the envelope. They did find at least $10,000 with Wint and company. Soooo... where's the other $30,000? That's your co-conspirators.

On the flip side, you have the maid saying the money was expected... Wierd!

"According to Nelitza Gutierrez, a housekeeper working for the Savopoulos family, $40,000 in cash was to be delivered to the house on Woodland Drive on May 14, the day the bodies were found after a fire.

In an off-camera interview, Gutierrez says an assistant was scheduled to drop off the cash to be used for the opening of a martial arts center in Chantilly, Virginia. The housekeeper says she spoke with the person who was supposed to make the delivery and he confirmed he dropped it off at the house that morning."

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29114637/savopoulos-fire-deaths#

I think I might be forgetful too if my boss and his family were murdered and the home torched. Not that this gives him a get out of jail free card though.

He said he left the money in the red car in a manila envelope in the driver's seat. LE searched the car and didn't find the money or the envelope. They did find at least $10,000 with Wint and company. Soooo... where's the other $30,000? That's your co-conspirators.

"According to Nelitza Gutierrez, a housekeeper working for the Savopoulos family, $40,000 in cash was to be delivered to the house on Woodland Drive on May 14, the day the bodies were found after a fire.

In an off-camera interview, Gutierrez says an assistant was scheduled to drop off the cash to be used for the opening of a martial arts center in Chantilly, Virginia. The housekeeper says she spoke with the person who was supposed to make the delivery and he confirmed he dropped it off at the house that morning."

No pass! Especially because of the deaths. If police thought he was bumbling due to stress, they would have let him clarify without being so suspicious that they outed him to public media. This is not a throw-away event. They did not do this casually. He deceived them on purpose. He was not being a "bonehead". He was acting nefariously.

I know, NG's accounts are a little muddled. I have no feelings about that. I was suspicious early on. But when I realized that both she and JW stated they went to the house once learning about the fire, they would connect on when they last talked to and saw family, etc. (Regardless if neither, one, or both parties were involved.)

But how would LE be able to check out JW's story (let alone clear) that the money was dropped in the car in the garage without DW corroborating? There is a door inside the garage that leads to into the house. So, unless, the garage was open and video from across the street showed JW opening that car door (unlocked, not locating a key like in his first account) how on earth could LE say that this account was accurate? I think this is why they outed him in the media, IMO.

I think through video, other witnesses/calls/texts and finally DW being caught with the money. LE has more info than we do
JMO

He said he left the money in the red car in a manila envelope in the driver's seat. LE searched the car and didn't find the money or the envelope. They did find at least $10,000 with Wint and company. Soooo... where's the other $30,000? That's your co-conspirators. On the flip side, you have the maid saying the money was expected... Wierd

Does LE know if NG is involved somehow?

Gutierrez told ABC News’ “20/20” in an interview that she believes the suspects broke in the day before the fire, based on bizarre messages she received from Savvas and Amy Savopoulos.

“When I got that message on Thursday, I was thinking, and I started calling them,” Gutierrez said. “I focused on Vera, I don’t know why… I call her and I say, ‘Hi, Vera, What’s going on?’ No answer.”

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dc-mansion...utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Now why would Nellie be trying to call Vera when she had already been told by Savvas that Vera's phone had died and they didn't have a charger for it on Wednesday night? Oh wait! She didn't listen to the message until Thursday.

I think through video, other witnesses/calls/texts and finally DW being caught with the money. LE has more info than we do
JMO

No doubt. We are just guessing! But, based on our lack of knowledge and no new arrests, why would we assume as fact that everyone else in their sights--the cousin, the convoy ladies, JW--is cleared?

Does LE know if NG is involved somehow?

I have no clue, but I hope LE has watched every one of her interviews because she says something different in every one and she gives A LOT of unnecessary information. I'm guessing LE believes she is not involved. Her alibi must be solid. JW's phone was tapped. I wish they had tapped her phone too.

At least $10,000 doesn't mean that $30,000 is not accounted for.

Very true! I believe they must have almost the entire $40,000. I think the closest we are going to get to hearing JW has been cleared is going to be what we heard last night in the 30 minute CNN report - that LE was focusing on Wint and JW was no longer a focal part of the investigation or something like that.

No doubt in my mind JW will be prosecuted. He lied, obstructed the investigation and he also had the victim's vehicle registration. The $40,000 ransom has not been recovered and he photographed some of the money in his possession. Where's the rest of the money?

JMO

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, these threads move fast. Wasn't the registration on the vehicle expired? If so, wouldn't Mr SS have given DW the responsibility to renew it? I just renewed mine, and I took in the old registration, paid the fee and received the new one.

Very true! I believe they must have almost the entire $40,000. I think the closest we are going to get to hearing JW has been cleared is going to be what we heard last night in the 30 minute CNN report - that LE was focusing on Wint and JW was no longer a focal part of the investigation or something like that.

They said "they don't believe he committed this crime." I don't believe that either. I believe he was a conduit and provided info, forced or unforced, to those who committed the crime and he got a cut.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, these threads move fast. Wasn't the registration on the vehicle expired? If so, wouldn't Mr SS have given DW the responsibility to renew it? I just renewed mine, and I took in the old registration, paid the fee and received the new one.

I think, to the best of the knowledge of people on this site, it was an expired reg. (But some might say there is still is some question about that?) IMO, if JW was as bright and good-willed as people are ascertaining him to be, I think he would have immediately returned the expired reg to this valuable car to his boss after having re-registering it.) I'm far from a freakishly organized person (to say the least), but I keep my old registrations. If I gave my new assistant paperwork to get my one-of-a-kind $200k-$700k vehicle registered, I would expect to get that paperwork back immediately from him after he had registered the vehicle. Maybe I'd be so busy that I would forget to ask him about it, but if he's my trusted assistant, I wouldn't have to. I certainly wouldn't expect him to keep it. And if he asked me if he could keep it, I would say no, because that would just be really weird and inappropriate. (In other words, JW is not a good assistant, or he is a thief.)

There is no indication at all that LE has recovered $40k. We know about the accounting from the convoy, which I think ended up to be just over $20k in cash AND money orders AND the $1k uber ride. People can guess that LE can track where all $40k went, but they definitely have not said anything like that at all.

argh. MSM strikes again! I thought DW was found with at least $10,000 cash PLUS at least $10,000 in money orders. It was also reported that he spent $1,000 on the taxi ride back to DC, plus whatever he spent in that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB