DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FelicityLemon
No, of course not! But, I do believe they would have done that anyway given that it was how the money was transported.

He arrived at the home, talked to LE there, told him his part (exactly how much or what he said is up for grabs right now), told him where his car was parked, they took him in for questioning (natural) and took his car (natural).

But the grounds for the search involved his lies and potential involvement in the murders...didn't they?

I think the grounds for JW's BMW search was because the 'ransom' cash was in his car earlier that day (this detail doesn't seem to be in dispute), which makes JW's car part of a crime scene.
But, I'd need to refresh my memory by reading the BMW SW.

ETA: Just realized I repeated FelicityLemon's original explanation "they would have done that anyway given that it was how the money was transported " - - so yes, I agree, LE would have searched JW's car anyway BECAUSE OF THE CASH being in the car. Nothing to do with any of his supposed lies or suspected involvement in the crimes.

But the grounds for the search involved his lies and potential involvement in the murders...didn't they?

Well, you know, I have no idea!

I (me, personally) would suspect everyone connected at that early point. Including the accountant. I now see your point, though. While I think it's natural LE would impound the car for search, it definitely would have became a priority as they learned more info including JW's lies/statements and days later the main suspect was DW who had also worked for SS.

Note: If I were involved in any way and knew I was innocent, I'd wish LE would thoroughly search my car ASAP and not wait a week. Clear me. Now.

I agree. JW didn't hamper the chase for Wint. They collected the pizza on 05/14 and sent it to ATF for DNA match immediately. They published a POI announcement for the person fleeing the burning car on 05/16, and obtained an arrest warrant on 05/19. JW was still under the microscope until his car was searched on 05/21. JW was interviewed in that same time period, likely more than once but he was never arrested. LE has not publicly cleared JW but I don't believe he is still on LE's radar.

I don't think JW's lies hampered the hunt for DW. I think the lies wasted LE time and resources that could be used in building the case and/or searching for other perps. Lying to LE in itself is a bad thing to do. Doing it when you could instead help LE investigate your boss' murder and that of 3 other innocents in indefensible. It doesn't make him guilty of murder, but he should be held responsible for his actions.

There are plenty more charges to come, even if most of them go to DW.

LE still believed (believes) DW didn't act alone after they arrested DW. When JW lied, he made LE's job much more difficult as they had to follow up on more than one story from him - and he's not the only witness. I think it's too early to think anyone is in the clear for the murders or lying to LE, as it hasn't even been made clear if the case will be tried in DC court or under Federal jurisdiction. That decision will affect the criteria for peripheral crimes, such as obstruction of justice. JW seems to be home free in DC, as obstruction of justice is primarily concerned with courts/juries. The federal charge has a much broader definition. JW should be worried about that, because his actions fall squarely within 18 U.S.C. § 1001--false statements and concealment of material facts before Federal departments and agencies
http://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...offenses-related-obstruction-justice-offenses

Tweets Popsicle posted yesterday

Harry Jaffe ‏@harryjaffe Jul 8Washington, DC
No news in on Savopoulos family murders.

On Savopoulos murders, Chief Lanier downplays further arrests.

When was he interviewed by the Feds?

This was great! I actually watched the whole thing. The one thing I'm not sure about is suspect vs. witness. Is there a difference? If I knew I had nothing to do with the S family/VF murders, I'd be falling all over myself trying to be helpful to LE. It wouldn't even occur to me that I'd be seen as a suspect, so I could do damage to myself according to the guys in the video.

One thing that I found very interesting was the cop said he doesn't want to put innocent people in jail. But, he said, I usually try not to bring someone in to interview if I don't think they're guilty (I'm paraphrasing.) Where does that put witnesses that LE needs to help them reconstruct the days events, etc.?

He explains really well why innocent people might lie during police questioning.

I totally disagree that the lies were harmless, even if they didn't slow down the search for Wint. LE in DC handles what? thousands? of violent cases a year. Every minute spent trying to unravel a bunch of lies and writing, serving, and executing pointless search warrants is a minute not spent on rape, murder, burglary, and other crimes. I don't believe he lied for no reason, but even if he did, it's not a victimless crime. Try being a rape victim whose case has been deprioritized because LE is too busy and whose rape kit isn't tested because resources are being used elsewhere.

Did I say they were harmless?

Sorry but I don't share your opinion that "good people" lie to cops.

28 is an adult and by then, an intentional lie to law enforcement is exactly what it is and trying to call it a "bad mistake" does not alter the fact it was intentional and JW admitted it when caught. It was enough to persuade a Judge to order a search warrant of his vehicle.

JMO
Sounds like Jodi Arias's defense attorneys who tried to paint her as a "young girl" of 27 when she murdered her victim. Excuse me, 27 is plenty old enough to know it's wrong to lie and murder!

ITA that it is weird that JW would just ask for the old expired registration for the Mosler, and that SS would say, "oh, sure, take an official document with my name and address and VIN on it." Weird that he would steal it, too. Weird one way or another.

WHOA. Clearly I have more careful reading to do. THERE MAY BE AN ELECTRONIC LOG OF WHO LOCKED AND UNLOCKED THE MOSLER?

I've seen that DW & Co were stopped by LE several times for improper license and registration. Wouldn't it be better to have old registration than no registration if JW or DW were to have been stopped by LE in the Mosler or would auto moving tractor trailer folks require that they have registration in order to move vehicles? Let's think of reasons why DW or JW or others intent on stealing the Mosler might need it. To get the VIN? But you could just take a photo of the VIN.

I've seen that DW & Co were stopped by LE several times for improper license and registration. Wouldn't it be better to have old registration than no registration if JW or DW were to have been stopped by LE in the Mosler or would auto moving tractor trailer folks require that they have registration in order to move vehicles? Let's think of reasons why DW or JW or others intent on stealing the Mosler might need it. To get the VIN? But you could just take a photo of the VIN.

I think to reproduce it with a new expiration date and whatever adjustments that needed to be made to make it look current. I also think the VIN number may have been a motivator; maybe it was faster to grab the document than to take a picture.

I think in either case, no reg or expired reg would prompt a cop to check further. Either of those would be a problem legally even if it was a little old economy car.

Expired registration might = No registration.

I just wondered if someone's life could be wasted at 34. Seems to me DW wasted his life.

Purely from a spiritual standpoint.....I don't think it's ever to late to change our lives. You'll have wasted moments in your life, sometimes those moments span for years. But I don't personally believe that anyone's life is worthless and beyond change no matter how old they are. Sometimes those people leave a lot of destruction in their path, unforgivable things. But, we all have at least the "choice" to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What lies did LE tell?

I don’t know what lies LE told. I don’t know what lies JW told. But I don’t believe JW lied simply because LE wrote that he admitted he lied. LE perhaps mischaracterized JW’s answers. JW was probably in distress, despair and shock. While trying to recall the sequence of events, along with LE questioning JW, as well as providing some details they already knew, JW could have innocently just been trying to get all the facts straight.

Let’s imagine this scenario:
JW - When I arrived at the house, the garage door was open. I parked my car and walked into the garage. First thing, I located the key to unlock the car door. But I then found the car was unlocked, so I opened the car door and put the envelope on the driver’s seat. I closed the car door, locked the car, exited the garage, and closed the garage door.
LE – Why did you locate the key to unlock the car door if the car door was unlocked?
JW – I know where the key is hidden and it’s usually locked.
LE – But you just told me that the car was locked.
JW – I didn’t think I told you that, but if I did, then what I said wasn’t true. The car was unlocked.

This dialogue could have been mischaracterized by LE and resulted in these statements by LE in the affidavit:
W-1 stated when he arrived at 3201 Woodland Drive he went inside of the garage, located a key to unlock the door to the car in the garage, and placed the envelope on the drivers seat. After placing the envelope on the drivers seat, W-1 locked the vehicle and exited the garage and closed the door to same.
Furthermore, W-1 admitted that IT lied when IT stated the vehicle was locked, W-1 stated the vehicle was unlocked and that IT left the envelope which contained the money in the vehicle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0sbjtcn1j6vkpz/266278174-Daron-Dylon-Wint-Charging-Documents.pdf?dl=0

Respectfully, I don't think LE wasted much time at all on this. I believe they already had the details from the accountant before they encountered JW. It may have been a matter of first letting him tell his narrative of his participation (which should have begun with the text from the night before, but...anyway) from beginning to end. He said what he did and then was confronted with something maybe like "are you sure the cash handoff happened like you said?" "Was it a red bag (whatever) or did the accountant take the cash from his pockets?" or vice versa "are you telling us the money was given to you as-is and not in a manilla envelope or other sealed container? Was it sealed?". There wouldn't have had to be much more time involved in this if it was all contained within the same interview. I don't know if phone calls were made in the interim, or if the accountant was in another interview room and LE took breaks to compare.

I agree with you. By I'm still not sure which stories are true. Perhaps like you said, LE already knew the truth. I think they had to have spoken with the accountant, W-2 and others before interviewing W-1. I still find it shocking that JW would assume otherwise.

Tweets Popsicle posted yesterday

No news in on Savopoulos family murders.

On Savopoulos murders, Chief Lanier downplays further arrests.

When was he interviewed by the Feds?

I asked Jaffe about that. He said the chief didn't actually say anything specific about the case except that they're still investigating. That's a much less sexy/informative/accurate tweet, but the original grabbed my attention. And let's be honest - in MSM, it's all about the number of eyeballs you can attract rather than informing the populace. MSM has been surprisingly worthless (to me) when it comes to accurate , new information.

IMO one thing Wint learned years ago is never talk to police. I think he has stepped up a notch to never talk to his attorneys either. He didn't rat out his cohorts who were with him when he was arrested and the PDA filed a subpoena for their names. Possibly the PDA didn't believe the phony names Wint told him or Wint wasn't talking.

That makes me even more curious where his previous attorney got the "wait until you hear who else was there" line of defense.

His lies are included in every affidavit we have, from at least DW's charging documents onward.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FelicityLemon
No, of course not! But, I do believe they would have done that anyway given that it was how the money was transported.

He arrived at the home, talked to LE there, told him his part (exactly how much or what he said is up for grabs right now), told him where his car was parked, they took him in for questioning (natural) and took his car (natural).

I think the grounds for JW's BMW search was because the 'ransom' cash was in his car earlier that day (this detail doesn't seem to be in dispute), which makes JW's car part of a crime scene.
But, I'd need to refresh my memory by reading the BMW SW.

ETA: Just realized I repeated FelicityLemon's original explanation "they would have done that anyway given that it was how the money was transported " - - so yes, I agree, LE would have searched JW's car anyway BECAUSE OF THE CASH being in the car. Nothing to do with any of his supposed lies or suspected involvement in the crimes.

I agree LE would have searched his car because it was used to transport the ransom money, but if LE believed JW's stories, they probably would not have been looking for "large denominations of U.S. currency... any notes, photos, cameras, electronic devices, forensic and physical evidence related to the murder of the decedents..." in his car.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnrqs5luwkl0qk2/267776483-Search-Warrant-for-BMW.pdf?dl=0

He explains really well why innocent people might lie during police questioning.

I don't remember the attorney or the cop saying innocent people would lie in interviews. IIRC, the attorney said innocent people's statements could be misinterpreted and used against them. I don't remember either of them saying innocent people could be made to lie. JMO

Coincidence I'm sure, but JW was stopped for FAILURE TO ATTACH VEHICLE REGISTRATION PLATES AT FRONT AND REAR in September 2014. There seems to be a lot of loosey-goosey behavior regarding registration and plates amongst the POIs in this case (some are my personal POIs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member