DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a strategic reason why they might hold off on charging any convoy members until DW's trial is complete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think if they plan any charges they would file them before trial and before they testify - assuming they will be witnesses. What the govt usually does is have the cooperating witness plead guilty to whatever they have worked out before trial but often wait until after their testimony to go to sentencing. Whatever deal any witness has with the govt has to be revealed to the defense because that is impeachment material. Obviously the defense uses it to argue they are testifying as they do to please the govt and give it the testimony they want and the testimony that helps the witness.

But it's just my guess.

And he should have been flagged for deportation. They made a mistake. Somebody could have told him he was going to be flagged.

IIRC didn't Wint just have the NY State misdemeanor. If that's it, that shouldn't be enough to deport him. Oh, and also that petty charge in Md when he was across from AIW - that also wouldn't be enough.

However, even if there are no convictions or not enough or not the right kind you can still find yourself in immigration trouble if you admit to certain behavior such as domestic violence, e.g., in family Civil Protection Orders (CPOs). But you can consent to those without making admissions. A court finding, rather than an admission, may have a similar result - I'm unsure as to which circumstances and ICE is always changing the rules.

I would think if they plan any charges they would file them before trial and before they testify - assuming they will be witnesses. What the govt usually does is have the cooperating witness plead guilty to whatever they have worked out before trial but often wait until after their testimony to go to sentencing. Whatever deal any witness has with the govt has to be revealed to the defense because that is impeachment material. Obviously the defense uses it to argue they are testifying as they do to please the govt and give it the testimony they want and the testimony that helps the witness.

But it's just my guess.

I don't think we have all the names to look up, I have 3 possibles but others might have more. I suppose we'll find out in due time. It also crossed my mind they were acting in concert to effect DW's arrest. DC has too many secrets. :)

IIRC didn't Wint just have the NY State misdemeanor. If that's it, that shouldn't be enough to deport him. Oh, and also that petty charge in Md when he was across from AIW - that also wouldn't be enough.

However, even if there are no convictions or not enough or not the right kind you can still find yourself in immigration trouble if you admit to certain behavior such as domestic violence, e.g., in family Civil Protection Orders (CPOs). But you can consent to those without making admissions. A court finding, rather than an admission, may have a similar result - I'm unsure as to which circumstances and ICE is always changing the rules.

He has numerous arrests, including for violent crimes. He stabbed one guy on two separate occasions, although they gave him very little time for that.

I think he hired an immigration attorney to bring someone into the country - gf, child, partner in crime, other relative...
JMO

That'd have to be some special friend to do time for four murders! So curious about all this!

That'd have to be some special friend to do time for four murders! So curious about all this!

Remember, he was chilling on his dad's front porch a day or two after the murders. Even if murders were part of his original plan, he didn't think he would get caught!

ETA: it's just a theory that would explain why he needed money for an immigration attorney since AFAIK he had not been notified he had been flagged. Was thinking except for the need for money, he wouldn't really be planning ahead for as yet not filed charges on his status. Was thinking more along the lines of he'd been planning to bring a gf or child to the U.S. and some other impetus/pressure determined the time.

Probably completely whacko, but I agree DW doesn't seem like the long-range planning type.

Also receiving stolen property in DC in March when he initially used his brother's name at arrest. In MD, 3rd degree sex assault, 2nd degree assault and CPOs, IIRC. Can't remember the rest off the top of my head.

I think it would have to be a pretty special friend to take a bus to NY and then a $1000 cab ride back the next day (if that's what actually happened). Maybe it's related?

If an attorney can convince the judge that a question or line of questioning somehow can negate the charges that exist at the time then the judge can allow it. It is really a case by case situation so it's hard to answer. Depends on questions, on judge, on if the prosecutor is objecting (sometimes they are constantly objecting), etc.

It will be interesting to read the transcript if I have time. Hard to comment otherwise. Similarly with the interviews of JW, without seeing the interviewsand the questions asked, how they were asked and how they were answered I'm unwilling to call him a liar. I hope they had the presence of mind to videotape them - though I can just hear the excuses now.

You are a breath of fresh air to the forum........of course I lovith my fellow sleuthers. [emoji39] Whoever you are.....your insight brings much to the discussion, so thank you for that. I ordered a copy of the PH transcript last week. Once received, I'm really hoping you'll continue to visit because WE will most definitely have a lot of questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has numerous arrests, including for violent crimes. He stabbed one guy on two separate occasions, although they gave him very little time for that.

Jenny, it is too bad that the NY charges weren't dealt with more severely. From what I read, they were not only violent but troubling in their manner and motivation.

The immigration consequences of criminal convictions and some un-convicted criminal behavior can be convoluted. In addition to types of offenses, the statutes take into account how long the non-citizen has been in the country when behavior occurs, the sentence imposed as well as the sentence served. But arrests don't count. As we all know anyone can get falsely arrested.

After the Supreme Court ruling in Padilla v. Kentucky in 2010 all defense attorneys have an affirmative duty to provide competent advice on immigration consequences resulting from a guilty plea.

You are a breath of fresh air to the forum........of course I lovith my fellow sleuthers. [emoji39] Whoever you are.....your insight brings much to the discussion, so thank you for that. I ordered a copy of the PH transcript last week. Once received, I'm really hoping you'll continue to visit because WE will most definitely have a lot of questions.

I agree! Welcome JayMac! We have many procedural questions and are unsure how to interpret and apply the (few) things that we think we do know. It is wonderful to add a resource to the mix who speaks authoritatively on legal process.

Also receiving stolen property in DC in March when he initially used his brother's name at arrest. In MD, 3rd degree sex assault, 2nd degree assault and CPOs, IIRC. Can't remember the rest off the top of my head.

Thanks, rkf, for pointing that out. I didn't think the Md sexual assaults were convictions but I'm too tired to look it up. Depending on how the CPO was handled it might or might not have immigration consequences. If he violated it there could be consequences.

Now RSP could be a problem if there was a conviction and it may add up to too many minor convictions to avoid removal proceedings. There is a Petty Offense Exception. If DW's last entry into the US was 14 or 15 years ago that protects him to some extent depending on the offenses and how the sentences were structured.

But this latest arrest may have started him worrying. Just speculating.

Thank you, blessedlife and AmazonianAbroad.

I noticed some posts have no mechanism to thank the poster. How does that work?
ETA: I think I figured it out.

A special thank you for ordering the PH transcript. I meant to register at the time when everyone had questions about that but the posters here are ever resourceful and figured it out. Defense attorneys also usually wait for the USAO to order the original transcription - let them spend their huge budget. Of course, PDS also has a huge budget.

Remember, he was chilling on his dad's front porch a day or two after the murders. Even if murders were part of his original plan, he didn't think he would get caught!

ETA: it's just a theory that would explain why he needed money for an immigration attorney since AFAIK he had not been notified he had been flagged. Was thinking except for the need for money, he wouldn't really be planning ahead for as yet not filed charges on his status. Was thinking more along the lines of he'd been planning to bring a gf or child to the U.S. and some other impetus/pressure determined the time.

Probably completely whacko, but I agree DW doesn't seem like the long-range planning type.

IMO, the murders had nothing to do with the "potential" of being deported. It was only a retainer fee....$1,100.00. He just "happened" to have the retainer when it was asked for, whether by the lawyer, his family, etc. he just happened to "have" the money. I don't believe the murders happened "because" of that. Otherwise, why not give the immigration lawyer more. If the murders were for the lawyer, why not give him more to represent him through that process....he certainly had it. Clearly, it's HARD to be deported from this country and that's when the system actually works! Shameful.

I have to wonder if some of the money was from other crimes. It seems unlikely to me that this was DW's only "venture," rather his most notorious and bloodiest.

I don't think any of his previous crimes were ones that brought him stacks of fresh hundreds, straight from BOA.

Thank you, blessedlife and AmazonianAbroad.

I noticed some posts have no mechanism to thank the poster. How does that work?
ETA: I think I figured it out.

A special thank you for ordering the PH transcript. I meant to register at the time when everyone had questions about that but the posters here are ever resourceful and figured it out. Defense attorneys also usually wait for the USAO to order the original transcription - let them spend their huge budget. Of course, PDS also has a huge budget.

Lol....exactly! The USAO paid $3.65 A PAGE for that transcript. I went to Marshall's and got it for less! [emoji126][emoji126][emoji126]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member