DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much blessedlife! Really appreciate you getting this. So much interesting information. I have the same recollection too, Kammiemc, about SS's sister being the controller?? And, there's the following from page 50 that I found interesting, but confusing:

"MS. BACH(prosecutor): Now, what I intend to ask this detective on redirect is have you confirmed his whereabouts? Yes, but I don't think that he needs to specify for the defense exactly how we have confirmed that. They're Winfield defendant if that's what he is, is not truly a Winfield defendant. So my point is even if W-1 is completely involved in this, that doesn't rule out the defendant. And so we think this goes beyond the probable cause finding that this Court needs to make and we think that they're just trying to learn basically the steps that we've taken thus far in the investigation to prove W-1's credibility."

It seems the Winfield reference is to some legal principle, IDK? Maybe a legal eagle could chime in?

not a criminal attorney but I gather it has something to do with when a defendant alleges SODDI (some other dude did it) - probably some standard of what has to be alleged/proven before evidence can be admitted

ETA: so I think the state is trying to say look, the defense hasn't made a Winfield argument so they shouldn't be able to allege there is another party with guilt. And that even if W1 was in on it it does not negate DW's role.

Somebody cares more about dogs than humans.....

Another possibility I was thinking is that maybe the fact that the dogs weren’t killed speaks to no gun on the premises and involved in the crime at all. He may have been certain to want the dogs contained and maybe getting them in the basement may have been something the monster accomplished by forcing one of the victims to do. He may not have realized there was a door to the outside from the basement, if there was as Skigirl mentioned might be possible, as she has one for her cats I believe. Maybe that's why the dogs were found outside. IDK??

Another possibility I was thinking is that maybe the fact that the dogs weren’t killed speaks to no gun on the premises and involved in the crime at all. He may have been certain to want the dogs contained and maybe getting them in the basement may have been something the monster accomplished by forcing one of the victims to do. He may not have realized there was a door to the outside from the basement, if there was as Skigirl mentioned might be possible, as she has one for her cats I believe. Maybe that's why the dogs were found outside. IDK??

No, the doggie door was duct taped, so if dogs were put into the basement, the door was duct taped so they don't run away. So they must have been let out before the fire.

I don't get why they didn't arrest the brother.

I think the brother might be smarter than DW. The brother , apparently, called LE to make arrangements to bring DW in. So they could not touch the brother at that point because he had good reason to be there, with the brother and the $.

Is the controller SS's sister? I seem to remember hearing that.

Also it wasn't mentioned AT ALL the long normal conversation SS had with his sister the day of the murders......remember that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YAY. So I was right about the auction. And it was an equipment auction, just like my brother in law suggested. Like I said, he takes cash when he goes so he can get the mini-dozer and go.

The controller did say that it was an "unusual" request from SS. What kind of equipment?

Also it wasn't mentioned AT ALL the long normal conversation SS had with his sister the day of the murders......remember that?

Sister said she talked to him and he was in good spirits. She didn't go into details on what they talked about.

No, the doggie door was duct taped, so if dogs were put into the basement, the door was duct taped so they don't run away. So they must have been let out before the fire.

Yes, the doggie door was duct taped, but I thought it was a doggie door from the kitchen to basement that was taped? I have no idea if there was another exit for the dogs from the basement to the outside, but that's what I was thinking could have been how they ended up outside. Not sure if I'm making sense.

Thank you so much blessedlife! Really appreciate you getting this. So much interesting information. I have the same recollection too, Kammiemc, about SS's sister being the controller?? And, there's the following from page 50 that I found interesting, but confusing:

"MS. BACH(prosecutor): Now, what I intend to ask this detective on redirect is have you confirmed his whereabouts? Yes, but I don't think that he needs to specify for the defense exactly how we have confirmed that. They're Winfield defendant if that's what he is, is not truly a Winfield defendant. So my point is even if W-1 is completely involved in this, that doesn't rule out the defendant. And so we think this goes beyond the probable cause finding that this Court needs to make and we think that they're just trying to learn basically the steps that we've taken thus far in the investigation to prove W-1's credibility."

It seems the Winfield reference is to some legal principle, IDK? Maybe a legal eagle could chime in?

Oh, yes. LOL, aka SODDI?

http://law.justia.com/cases/district-of-columbia/court-of-appeals/1996/92-cf-723-6.html

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-does-a-winfield-defense-mean--1588653.html#!

ETA: pinkandgreenmom beat me to it! :D

The controller did say that it was an "unusual" request from SS. What kind of equipment?

I don't think he was going to buy any equipment. This has to be a cover story to get the ransom money.

Whoa!!!! There is no reason for him to have that letter. Very shady!!!

Actually, LE did confirm that JW would more than likely register vehicles, etc. it talked about that early in the transcript.

I think the brother might be smarter than DW. The brother , apparently, called LE to make arrangements to bring DW in. So they could not touch the brother at that point because he had good reason to be there, with the brother and the $.

Wint was turning himself in and the police were directing him to the right place? But the marshals swooped in? If this is so... why all the extra people (he didn't know) and the money orders? Why would he have the money at all, or knifes?

This whole thing is very confusing.

I have a theory. The defense team had lab guys eat pizza to recreate taking and processing DNA successfully. They photographed it for documentation as you do. :)

Sister said she talked to him and he was in good spirits. She didn't go into details on what they talked about.

No, I was referring to the transcript. The detective was very clear about the calls in and out the day before and the day after the murders. The defense grilled him on those calls but no mention of the sisters call.

I don't think he was going to buy any equipment. This has to be a cover story to get the ransom money.

I was thinking that the request for that amount of cash was unusual. I don't know that SS told the controller what equipment it might be. It must have made sense to not raise alarms to the controller. I agree that it was a cover. I wonder why the range, though and why $40k was settled on.

I was thinking that the request for that amount of cash was unusual. I don't know that SS told the controller what equipment it might be. It must have made sense to not raise alarms to the controller. I agree that it was a cover. I wonder why the range, though and why $40k was settled on.

SS asked for between 35K and 50K, and 40 K is between 35K and 50K.

I don't get why they didn't arrest the brother.

I think he's going to be a witness, but shhhh.... on second thought, someone who was with them that night was arrested or at least detained. In the document, it mentions something that lead me to believe the brother would be a witness, I'll post it when I find it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist