GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the nearby pile of ‘burned debris and zipties,’ I’d speculate that the van was at least used to transport crime scene items containing victims’ DNA that could’ve transferred to its interior, providing reason enough to burn it.

Also if it was really parked on a DC street for the 24-hour period of the crime, it was probably covered with tickets! All those streets have 2-hr time limits, most spots are metered, etc. Dodging 24 hours worth of parking tickets would be another reason to torch it.

I've been thinking about this case a lot since yesterday. After watching DW testify yesterday, I got the impression that he's smarter than I previously thought he was. I have less doubt about him being the 'mastermind' of this crime. He was very sure of himself on the stand and not easily tripped up by the prosecutor. I haven't watched or read everything about the whole trial, but yesterday the prosecutor did a good job of painting him as desperate, and down on his luck in May 2015. He'd been kicked out of his mother & Samantha's place, and his situation living with his father and stepmother was supposed to be temporary. He was having issues with his green card application, and he had no driver's license or passport or valid ID to get a regular job. I think that the hours DW was spending each day allegedly looking for a job, he was casing places to burglarize, so he could move to NY with his finacee and start over. If people in the Woodland Dr. neighborhood say they'd seen him around, I think it was from him casing the place. I definitely think he was savvy enough to look up the Savopoulos family and find their address online, and study their comings and goings. I think that he went to the house on 5/13 planning to burglarize the place, and didn't expect anyone to be home. Maybe there were maps or burglary tools in the van. I think that running into Vera, Amy and Philip was an unexpected surprise, but I think he could have easily overpowered them. I'm not sure even at that point that he intended to kill anyone, but maybe there wasn't enough cash in the house to satisfy him, and maybe Amy convinced him that Savvas would be able to get him more cash, so DW let her call him to come home. My theory is that Savvas recognized DW and knew who he was - DW is very distinctive looking - and that's when the plan changed to murder everyone.

I'm still torn on Darrell's level of involvement. He has a lengthy criminal history, and is potentially a gang member. I think it's possible that he was involved in the planning, but I believe he would have been charged if there was any evidence of this. I think it's more likely that he was involved after the fact, and made a deal with the police for his cooperation in helping to convict DW. The one time DW seemed surprised yesterday was when the prosecutor asked him if he knew that Darrell had been assisting the police all along, and had taken them to the debris pile that contained the zip ties. (I think the debris pile was in the vicinity of the burned van, but maybe a different location in the vicinity). I agree with everyone that there are a lot of unanswered questions about the van. Maybe more evidence will come in next week. I'm thinking that the prosecution will call Darrell as a rebuttal witness next week, on Monday or Tuesday.

All of this is just my theory/guess.

Further to the revenge motive - it was new info to me that DW tried to get re-hired at AIW in 2008 & 2009 but was turned down - brings to mind his 2010 arrest for hanging out near AIW with a machete and a BB gun.

I've been thinking about this case a lot since yesterday. After watching DW testify yesterday, I got the impression that he's smarter than I previously thought he was. I have less doubt about him being the 'mastermind' of this crime. He was very sure of himself on the stand and not easily tripped up by the prosecutor. I haven't watched or read everything about the whole trial, but yesterday the prosecutor did a good job of painting him as desperate, and down on his luck in May 2015. He'd been kicked out of his mother & Samantha's place, and his situation living with his father and stepmother was supposed to be temporary. He was having issues with his green card application, and he had no driver's license or passport or valid ID to get a regular job. I think that the hours DW was spending each day allegedly looking for a job, he was casing places to burglarize, so he could move to NY with his finacee and start over. If people in the Woodland Dr. neighborhood say they'd seen him around, I think it was from him casing the place. I definitely think he was savvy enough to look up the Savopoulos family and find their address online, and study their comings and goings. I think that he went to the house on 5/13 planning to burglarize the place, and didn't expect anyone to be home. Maybe there were maps or burglary tools in the van. I think that running into Vera, Amy and Philip was an unexpected surprise, but I think he could have easily overpowered them. I'm not sure even at that point that he intended to kill anyone, but maybe there wasn't enough cash in the house to satisfy him, and maybe Amy convinced him that Savvas would be able to get him more cash, so DW let her call him to come home. My theory is that Savvas recognized DW and knew who he was - DW is very distinctive looking - and that's when the plan changed to murder everyone.

I'm still torn on Darrell's level of involvement. He has a lengthy criminal history, and is potentially a gang member. I think it's possible that he was involved in the planning, but I believe he would have been charged if there was any evidence of this. I think it's more likely that he was involved after the fact, and made a deal with the police for his cooperation in helping to convict DW. The one time DW seemed surprised yesterday was when the prosecutor asked him if he knew that Darrell had been assisting the police all along, and had taken them to the debris pile that contained the zip ties. (I think the debris pile was in the vicinity of the burned van, but maybe a different location in the vicinity). I agree with everyone that there are a lot of unanswered questions about the van. Maybe more evidence will come in next week. I'm thinking that the prosecution will call Darrell as a rebuttal witness next week, on Monday or Tuesday.

Dear Patriciah,

Thank you for your keen observations on the trial, especially concerning D.W.'s demeanor.

This is greatly appreciated!

The point that stands out the most to me is the question of why would D.W. not give the name of his alibi to the police, to his lawyer over three years ago?

D.W. was sitting in a cell, charged with everything. Why would he wait a day let alone years to give the name of his alibi, who we have learned, had passed away last year?

The police or D.W.'s lawyer could have gotten a statement from this alibi years ago.

Or they could have arrested the person who did all of this - D.W.'s brother. If he was set up he would have spoken up.

My second question is why wouldn't D.W. tell anyone that he was set up and his brother committed these heinous crimes?

Why couldn't anyone get a hold of him between 6:00 a.m. May 13 and 5:59 p.m. on May 14th? Why did his social media go "dark" over that period of time?

I agree with you that D.W. is clever and he's worked on his story. But, in my opinion, that's all it is. A story. He's had time to work in every single detail to fit with all of the information in the reports.

But really, all he had to do was give the name of his alibi. Years ago.

With D.W.'s history of revenge and violence I find it incredibly difficult to believe his story.

This is my opinion only.

Last edited:
Given the nearby pile of ‘burned debris and zipties,’ I’d speculate that the van was at least used to transport crime scene items containing victims’ DNA that could’ve transferred to its interior, providing reason enough to burn it.

Also if it was really parked on a DC street for the 24-hour period of the crime, it was probably covered with tickets! All those streets have 2-hr time limits, most spots are metered, etc. Dodging 24 hours worth of parking tickets would be another reason to torch it.
I wonder if DW called DrrW from the mansion and, for whatever reason he gave, asked DrrW to move his van because he planned on taking one of the S's vehicles and didn't want his van found near the place. Then, DrrW could have led LE to the place where he drove the van, which by then was a pile of debris. IMOO

Further to the revenge motive - it was new info to me that DW tried to get re-hired at AIW in 2008 & 2009 but was turned down - brings to mind his 2010 arrest for hanging out near AIW with a machete and a BB gun.

Dear taylorss,

I agree that DW certainly had a "revenge motive". DW can't seem to let a grudge go.

Excerpt from the following article (below):

“Daron had come out and was wind milling with the knives... he stabbed me in the wrist, and then he took off,” said Babcock. “There was slices on my shirt and on my chest and my stomach where I didn’t even know he had cut me. I thought he just had stabbed me in my wrist, but I guess he was trying to stab me other times.”

"Wint was arrested, charged with third degree assault and ordered to stay away from Babcock.
But six months later in June 2007, ahead of his court date, Wint ambushed Babcock and his girlfriend a second time on a bridge."

DC Mansion Murder Suspect’s Stabbing Victim Recalls Attacks

Excellent theory. This covers most of the bases and makes sense.

jmo

Thanks for all of the details you provided! I was also thinking that he was initially only planning to rob the house, but the zip ties make me think that he was planning to restrain people.

Thanks for all of the details you provided! I was also thinking that he was initially only planning to rob the house, but the zip ties make me think that he was planning to restrain people.

I thought about that too, and it's certainly possible. It's also possible that he found the zip ties in the house, I have zip ties and duct tape in my house. I also have the impression that he killed them all in a rush, last minute. I don't think that he tortured them, aside from the mental torture of holding them hostage.

I don't know that we will ever know, and I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my mind around making a plan to restrain and kill 4 people, including a child - but criminals think differently.

Video cctv systems are cheap. You can also use a notebook computer and usb cameras and iSpy. They all have an option for usb flash drive backup. Take the 128 GB flash drive, plug it in to a usb extension cable, wrap the drive up in self fusing silicone tape. apply a thick layer of high temperature silicone automotive rtv around the taped drive, let it cure. Take the cured drive/blob and press it into a electrical box filled with furnace cement, add more furnace cement so the drive is packed in the middle of the box. Let this dry and mount under a floor for an indestructible hidden backup video drive.

I think that the hours DW was spending each day allegedly looking for a job, he was casing places to burglarize, so he could move to NY with his finacee and start over. If people in the Woodland Dr. neighborhood say they'd seen him around, I think it was from him casing the place. I definitely think he was savvy enough to look up the Savopoulos family and find their address online, and study their comings and goings. I think that he went to the house on 5/13 planning to burglarize the place, and didn't expect anyone to be home. Maybe there were maps or burglary tools in the van. I think that running into Vera, Amy and Philip was an unexpected surprise
^^snip
I don't recall reading that neighbors saw DW around the neighborhood. To my recollection, there wasn't any reported surveillance images from neighbor cameras that showed DW on May 13/14 or previous. And no trial testimony about neighbors sighting of DW?

If DW had cased the S family and studied their comings and goings, I would think he would have known that a housekeeper was there on many days during the week.

I wonder if DW knew that SS was busy with the dojo grand opening scheduled for that Friday May 15. The dojo was in the vicinity of the AIW welding school in Chantilly, VA. DW was a welder.

^^snip
I don't recall reading that neighbors saw DW around the neighborhood. To my recollection, there wasn't any reported surveillance images from neighbor cameras that showed DW on May 13/14 or previous. And no trial testimony about neighbors sighting of DW?

If DW had cased the S family and studied their comings and goings, I would think he would have known that a housekeeper was there on many days during the week.

I wonder if DW knew that SS was busy with the dojo grand opening scheduled for that Friday May 15. The dojo was in the vicinity of the AIW welding school in Chantilly, VA. DW was a welder.

I thought I read somewhere that people had seen someone resembling him in the neighborhood, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't think it's known what time DW got to the house on 5/13, but I thought possibly that Vera stayed late that day. I also heard people in the courtroom talking about this yesterday - not testimony, just chatter that she stayed late and it cost her her life. Again I don't have a source for this, it's just my guess.

I haven't heard or read anything about DW having connection to VA or Chantilly, but that's not to say he never went there. DW testified yesterday that he learned welding from his father (or stepfather - don't remember for sure), didn't go to school for welding. He also testified that he didn't own welding equipment or tools, or painting/drywall equipment or tools, that those things were provided on the job.

I'm not married to my theory about burglary gone wrong - it's entirely possible that he went there intent on murder for revenge. In my mind, open questions are how exactly he arrived at the house and what time, where was the van the whole time - did it move, what was in it, and the extent of Darrell's involvement (though I think he'd have been charged if there was any evidence of his involvement in anything other than cover up). I don't think Steffon or JW were involved, and I don't think this was some high level hit job on behalf of a relative or some angry business partner. I think more than likely this is all DW. Just my opinion.

I wonder if DW called DrrW from the mansion and, for whatever reason he gave, asked DrrW to move his van because he planned on taking one of the S's vehicles and didn't want his van found near the place. Then, DrrW could have led LE to the place where he drove the van, which by then was a pile of debris. IMOO

The van was driven afterward by DW. The stepmom testified that the van disappeared from her home for the last time on the 16th:
Wint's stepmother testified Wint was gone between May 13 and May 14 — which was unusual and caused concern among the Wint family about his whereabouts. He returned home to Lanham on the evening of May 14 with his blue van. But by early on the morning of May 16, his dad and stepmom noticed his van had gone missing, she testified. Even so, Wint appeared unconcerned about the missing van and told his dad and stepmom he wasn't going to report it to police, she told jurors.
DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial

The van was driven afterward by DW. The stepmom testified that the van disappeared from her home for the last time on the 16th:
Wint's stepmother testified Wint was gone between May 13 and May 14 — which was unusual and caused concern among the Wint family about his whereabouts. He returned home to Lanham on the evening of May 14 with his blue van. But by early on the morning of May 16, his dad and stepmom noticed his van had gone missing, she testified. Even so, Wint appeared unconcerned about the missing van and told his dad and stepmom he wasn't going to report it to police, she told jurors.
DC mansion killings: Daron Wint on trial
Oh, that's right. But, maybe on the 15th/16th he contacted DrrW to take his van somewhere and burn it because he was getting nervous about being seen with it and the contents of the van. There must be some way DrrW knew where the van was located if he wasn't a co-conspirator in the plot. DW probably paid him to burn the van so DrrW didn't question it until he found out DW was wanted. ???

Dear Patriciah,

Thank you for your keen observations on the trial, especially concerning D.W.'s demeanor.

This is greatly appreciated!

The point that stands out the most to me is the question of why would D.W. not give the name of his alibi to the police, to his lawyer over three years ago?

D.W. was sitting in a cell, charged with everything. Why would he wait a day let alone years to give the name of his alibi, who we have learned, had passed away last year?

The police or D.W.'s lawyer could have gotten a statement from this alibi years ago.

Or they could have arrested the person who did all of this - D.W.'s brother. If he was set up he would have spoken up.

My second question is why wouldn't D.W. tell anyone that he was set up and his brother committed these heinous crimes?

Why couldn't anyone get a hold of him between 6:00 a.m. May 13 and 5:59 p.m. on May 14th? Why did his social media go "dark" over that period of time?

I agree with you that D.W. is clever and he's worked on his story. But, in my opinion, that's all it is. A story. He's had time to work in every single detail to fit with all of the information in the reports.

But really, all he had to do was give the name of his alibi. Years ago.

With D.W.'s history of revenge and violence I find it incredibly difficult to believe his story.

This is my opinion only.

Whew. I am finally caught up reading about the latest testimony.

Aww..my dear Zen you are always the voice of reason.

Do you think that DrrW may have kept something from the van which would incriminate D.W.? He could have hidden it somewhere in case DW pointed the finger at DrrW. If DrrW was the one who burned the van.

Thanks for your great recap -- it's so appreciated. I thought I posted it here but don't see it but were you in court when the Prosecutor Bach asked him about his cell phone and if "fairies" paid his cell phone bill for him? (It was quoted in news report). Thanks again for taking one for the team!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members