GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't imagine having known anyone in the family. It haunts me enough as it is without having known any of them.

I heard through 6th degree of separation that the family had a panic room -- do you know if that's true? It's just mind-boggling to me that a security-conscious family like theirs could have so many of the aspects of their system fail them. Security tapes not stored in the cloud and destroyed...panic room inaccessible...none of the people who might have thought something had gone wrong getting over the threshold of suspicion to call the police. This case shows that if someone who means you harm gets lucky, there's almost nothing you can do.

I never heard anything about a panic room. As far the security goes, it wasn't activated because when he got in the house there really wasn't a reason for it to be on. He got to Vera first, most likely while she was taking out the trash cause that's what she did around 3pm. It was the last of her duties then she would leave. At that time only two people were home, her and Phillip. He tied her up and went upstairs and tied up Phillip, then waited for Amy to get back from Starbucks. Then she was ordered to get Savvas to come home and then he was attacked.

Had Wint got there maybe at nighttime or if no one was home then the alarm might have been on. He got lucky because so few people were home when he got there and the alarm wasn't on. If multiple people were there someone could have ran upstairs and got the gun and shot him. Or everyone could have scattered and he would have been out of luck. So many things I feel had to break his way in order for him to pull it off- mainly the visitors the morning of the 14th not running into each other.

Also Wint has now been moved to his 4th prison since leaving the DC Jail. One of his personality traits is not being able to get along w/ basically anyone so that is a telling sign. He must be having some very serious issues dealing with a life sentence. He is now in a prison in Illinois.

I never heard anything about a panic room. As far the security goes, it wasn't activated because when he got in the house there really wasn't a reason for it to be on. He got to Vera first, most likely while she was taking out the trash cause that's what she did around 3pm. It was the last of her duties then she would leave. At that time only two people were home, her and Phillip. He tied her up and went upstairs and tied up Phillip, then waited for Amy to get back from Starbucks. Then she was ordered to get Savvas to come home and then he was attacked.

Had Wint got there maybe at nighttime or if no one was home then the alarm might have been on. He got lucky because so few people were home when he got there and the alarm wasn't on. If multiple people were there someone could have ran upstairs and got the gun and shot him. Or everyone could have scattered and he would have been out of luck. So many things I feel had to break his way in order for him to pull it off- mainly the visitors the morning of the 14th not running into each other.

Also Wint has now been moved to his 4th prison since leaving the DC Jail. One of his personality traits is not being able to get along w/ basically anyone so that is a telling sign. He must be having some very serious issues dealing with a life sentence. He is now in a prison in Illinois.

Thank you for sharing — I hope participating in this forum is cathartic for you — helps with your healing.

I cant imagine your anguish and traumatic stress over this case since you knew the family. I didnt know them but as a Washingtonian living within miles of their home and an overlapping lifestyle — doctors in same bldg as Phillip’s, volunteered at National Cathedral, travel through Woodley Park everyday, know the Starbucks, etc. — I was/am absolutely obsessed and haunted by this case. It brought me to WS.

I cant imagine a being anymore inhuman, vicious, and sick than Wint. I certainly hope it is for his roommates’ sake and not his safety that has caused his prison moves. They should not spend one nickel to assure his safety or comfort.

Again thank you for sharing the real story. Peace be with you.

Presumably Wint knew Vera’s schedule & that she’d take the trash out every day at 3. Apparently she took it out through the garage, so the garage door would be left open & unwatched while she went to the curb - that’s how Wint entered.

There were stories around suggesting maybe Wint had been watching the house, but nothing firm IIRC … don’t even recall anything specifically about him, just some stories about weirdly aggressive door-to-door salesmen or something? But it seems pretty clear that Wint was stalking Savvas following his termination… there was the one time he was busted w a machete across from the Savvas’s business …. kinda remember other suggestions that Wint was watching Savvas, but even without recalling those details - we know Wint had a bee in his bonnet over Savvas as he was fired from his company & then years later returned to torture & murder him & his family. So fairly safe assumption Wint was watching the house & knew he could get in thru the unguarded garage door any day at 3…

This is a whole lot of words about nothing much I guess…. mainly just to say that this case prompted me to change my trash-taking habits! After hearing about this I made a point of never having a regular time or other indication of when I’ll be making the daily trip outside.

Presumably Wint knew Vera’s schedule & that she’d take the trash out every day at 3. Apparently she took it out through the garage, so the garage door would be left open & unwatched while she went to the curb - that’s how Wint entered.

There were stories around suggesting maybe Wint had been watching the house, but nothing firm IIRC … don’t even recall anything specifically about him, just some stories about weirdly aggressive door-to-door salesmen or something? But it seems pretty clear that Wint was stalking Savvas following his termination… there was the one time he was busted w a machete across from the Savvas’s business …. kinda remember other suggestions that Wint was watching Savvas, but even without recalling those details - we know Wint had a bee in his bonnet over Savvas as he was fired from his company & then years later returned to torture & murder him & his family. So fairly safe assumption Wint was watching the house & knew he could get in thru the unguarded garage door any day at 3…

This is a whole lot of words about nothing much I guess…. mainly just to say that this case prompted me to change my trash-taking habits! After hearing about this I made a point of never having a regular time or other indication of when I’ll be making the daily trip outside.

Daron Wint, Suspect in Woodley Park Quadruple Slaying, in Custody

From 2003 to 2005, Wint worked as a welder at American Iron Works, where victim Savvas Savopoulos served as CEO, sources said. One of Wint's relatives was also fired from the company.

An American Iron Works welder -- who said he lost a great friend in Savopoulos -- told News4 that Wint couldn't get along with any of his coworkers when he worked there.

I dunno -- stalking your former employer for 10 years sounds excessive. I think DW was about to be deported and he was desperate for cash to get his immigration status cleared up and the only person he could think of (with quick $$$) was Savopoulos. Because clearly, DW didn't want for enemies -- real or perceived. MOO

Yeah thanks, that’s a good point / clarification - guess I didn’t mean to say I thought Wint spent 10 years watching Savvas nonstop. More like he apparently kept him in mind & never forgot him. Thus he didn’t randomly come upon the S family home - he went there deliberately bearing a decade-old grudge. So JMO seems a pretty safe assumption that he took time to scope the scene, & he saw that getting there any day at 3 would mean a chance to stroll unseen through the open garage door while Vera took the trash to the curb.

MOO but I can’t believe he had 10 years to plot revenge on Savvas, & then just got lucky & happened to show up at exactly the right daily moment to enter the home easily.

And thx also for the reminder about the needed immigration $$! But then there are lots of ways to get $ that don’t involve the day-long home-invasion torture & murder of women & children & one’s old boss. So while Wint may have needed money right then, I don’t buy that the need for money was the motive here MOO

DC appeals court hears arguments for overturning ‘mansion murders’ conviction | WTOP News

"A lawyer for the man convicted of killing three members of a D.C. family and their housekeeper argued before an appeals court Wednesday that Daron Wint should get a new trial because the judge in his 2018 trial improperly blocked the defense from calling an additional witness.

Defense attorney Lee Goebes, with the D.C. Public Defender Service, argued to a three-judge D.C. Court of Appeals panel Wednesday that because prosecutors provided evidence of a partial alibi for one of the brothers, in the rebuttal phase of the trial, defense attorneys should have been allowed to call an additional witness that might have discredited that alibi in the eyes of the jury.

The whereabouts of the brother, Darrell Wint, was a “new matter” in the trial, Goebes argued and, therefore, Daron Wint was entitled to a rare additional phase of the trial, called a “sur-rebuttal” to present the additional witness.

Nicholas Coleman, assistant U.S. attorney, argued the evidence against Daron Wint was overwhelming — including DNA evidence on the crust of a pizza that had been delivered to the Savopoulos family’s lavish home in Northwest D.C. over the course of the 22 hours the victims were held captive."

DC appeals court hears arguments for overturning ‘mansion murders’ conviction | WTOP News

"A lawyer for the man convicted of killing three members of a D.C. family and their housekeeper argued before an appeals court Wednesday that Daron Wint should get a new trial because the judge in his 2018 trial improperly blocked the defense from calling an additional witness.

Defense attorney Lee Goebes, with the D.C. Public Defender Service, argued to a three-judge D.C. Court of Appeals panel Wednesday that because prosecutors provided evidence of a partial alibi for one of the brothers, in the rebuttal phase of the trial, defense attorneys should have been allowed to call an additional witness that might have discredited that alibi in the eyes of the jury.

The whereabouts of the brother, Darrell Wint, was a “new matter” in the trial, Goebes argued and, therefore, Daron Wint was entitled to a rare additional phase of the trial, called a “sur-rebuttal” to present the additional witness.

Nicholas Coleman, assistant U.S. attorney, argued the evidence against Daron Wint was overwhelming — including DNA evidence on the crust of a pizza that had been delivered to the Savopoulos family’s lavish home in Northwest D.C. over the course of the 22 hours the victims were held captive."

Thanks for this update @MajorHoople. I expect the Court will rule that allowing a sur-rebuttal would not have changed the outcome. Such a tragedy for multiple families including Wints.

From the link:

The trial judge blocked defense attorneys from calling the additional witness, saying her testimony was equivocal and that defense attorneys had the opportunity to call her in their own case and hadn’t done so.

Thanks for this update @MajorHoople. I expect the Court will rule that allowing a sur-rebuttal would not have changed the outcome. Such a tragedy for multiple families including Wints.

From the link:

The trial judge blocked defense attorneys from calling the additional witness, saying her testimony was equivocal and that defense attorneys had the opportunity to call her in their own case and hadn’t done so.

This monster should never again see the light of day-- hoping this appeal
Is rejected and thanks for the update.

I have thought about this case many times over the years. I had it so incredibly wrong, I was absolutely CONVINCED that the driver had something to do with it, which I recognize was totally, totally incorrect. I've gotten some things right over the years, but it's always good for me to remind myself that I sometimes get things very wrong.

I have thought about this case many times over the years. I had it so incredibly wrong, I was absolutely CONVINCED that the driver had something to do with it, which I recognize was totally, totally incorrect. I've gotten some things right over the years, but it's always good for me to remind myself that I sometimes get things very wrong.

Matt Murphy, the former Orange County, CA, District Attorney is a contributor to 20/20 and other shows.

I was recently watching an episode on 20/20 where a husband was indicted and convicted of murdering his wife. He served more than 30 years before he was released -- where the court agreed it was most likely that the real killer was a Deputy Sheriff that soon after committed suicide. (The same Deputy was also suspected to have killed another local woman a couple of months earlier).

It was something that Murphy said during the program that really stuck with me -- in my opinion, some very powerful words:

"The suspect has just lied to them, and for an innocent man, there's no reason to lie about anything."

In the case on 20/20, the husband had reported several hundreds of dollars were missing from the crime scene (their bedroom), and a couple of days later told police that he found the missing money in the trunk of his car where he said he put it when the couple went on a shopping trip, and he forgot he did that. The problem was that police had searched his trunk the day before without telling him and cash that was allegedly inside a paper bag in his trunk was not there.

Like the husband above, the Savopoulos driver told a lie when he didn't have to so it made it hard to believe him after that.

I think about this case quite often too. Such a tragedy.

Last edited:
Matt Murphy, the former Orange County, CA, District Attorney is a contributor to 20/20 and other shows.

I was recently watching an episode on 20/20 where a husband was indicted and convicted of murdering his wife. He served more than 30 years before he was released -- where the court agreed it was most likely that the real killer was a Deputy Sheriff that soon after committed suicide. (The same Deputy was also suspected to have killed another local woman a couple of months earlier.

It was something that Murphy said during the program that really stuck with me -- in my opinion, some very powerful words:

"The suspect has just lied to them, and for an innocent man, there's no reason to lie about anything."

In the case on 20/20, the husband had reported several hundreds of dollars were missing from the crime scene (their bedroom), and a couple of days later told police that he found the missing money in the trunk of his car where he said he put it when the couple went on a shopping trip, and he forgot he did that. The problem was that police had searched his trunk the day before without telling him and cash that was allegedly inside a paper bag in his trunk was not there.

Like the husband above, the Savopoulos driver told a lie when he didn't have to so it made it hard to believe him after that.

I think about this case quite often too. Such a tragedy.

Matt Murphy is awesome---he is brilliant,compassionate and fearless!

I have thought about this case over and over, too.

Sky, you weren’t the only one who was convinced the driver was involved! You had plenty of company!

This case brought me to Websleuths because it was so close to home — I was a WS observer then, but have since joined. I read every single Websleuths post on the public threads for this case, and every single news story, listened to the WTOP podcasts with the trial recordings, and read other online discussions with D.C. parents, and also talked to local business people who are plugged in.

I am not sure they got it entirely right pegging it all on Wint. Don’t get me wrong, I think he was involved in a major way and deserves to be in jail forever, but …

I absorbed everything I read and heard and have thought about this case over and over. I just feel like this was too big a crime for one obsessive dope like DW to pull off alone, despite his obvious capacity for rage. From all the pre-crime recognizance that must have been necessary, to the time between his firing and the crime, to SS’s phone pinging in Dupont area before the fire, to how Wint got to the house that day unobserved, etc.

I don’t think DW went to the house for money. I think SS came up with that trying to save his family and $40k was legally as much as the bank could give his employees on short notice and under the circumstances.

As sick and angry as DW seems to be, he perpetrated more torture and brutality than I can image only one person could do. Were his acts humanly possible for only one person? There are so many loose ends that I don’t think were well explained. Did the guy never relieve himself? Did he never bump against the furniture? So little DNA?

I‘ve often wondered in the commercial construction industry if this murder was connected to organized crime? MOO.

Maybe someday someone will say something that gives us more or maybe not. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I have thought about this case over and over, too.

Sky, you weren’t the only one who was convinced the driver was involved! You had plenty of company!

This case brought me to Websleuths because it was so close to home — I was a WS observer then, but have since joined. I read every single Websleuths post on the public threads for this case, and every single news story, listened to the WTOP podcasts with the trial recordings, and read other online discussions with D.C. parents, and also talked to local business people who are plugged in.

I am not sure they got it entirely right pegging it all on Wint. Don’t get me wrong, I think he was involved in a major way and deserves to be in jail forever, but …

I absorbed everything I read and heard and have thought about this case over and over. I just feel like this was too big a crime for one obsessive dope like DW to pull off alone, despite his obvious capacity for rage. From all the pre-crime recognizance that must have been necessary, to the time between his firing and the crime, to SS’s phone pinging in Dupont area before the fire, to how Wint got to the house that day unobserved, etc.

I don’t think DW went to the house for money. I think SS came up with that trying to save his family and $40k was legally as much as the bank could give his employees on short notice and under the circumstances.

As sick and angry as DW seems to be, he perpetrated more torture and brutality than I can image only one person could do. Were his acts humanly possible for only one person? There are so many loose ends that I don’t think were well explained. Did the guy never relieve himself? Did he never bump against the furniture? So little DNA?

I‘ve often wondered in the commercial construction industry if this murder was connected to organized crime? MOO.

Maybe someday someone will say something that gives us more or maybe not. Only time will tell.

At first it seemed impossible that one person could’ve done this alone … after the facts were out, IMO it seems like just into over the line into possible. Here’s why I think that:

Vile beast DW met each victim one by one, so every confrontation was just him vs a single person. He entered thru open garage door while Vera F took the trash to the curb - so when he went in, there was no one else in the house but little Phillip S (home from school w a concussion). Maybe little PS was up in his room & DW didn’t even know he was there, or maybe he was moving around & the first thing DW spotted upon trespassing was IMO the key to his ability to pull this off - the most valuable possible hostage imaginable, his victims’ child.

Regardless of the unknowns about PS, soon VF must’ve come inside. So then it was just her & DW. All the adult victims were found bound to chairs in an upstairs bedroom where IMO they may have been held for the duration. They were at least held there throughout being tortured in multiple ways & murdered. So IMO good chance DW might’ve forced them there immediately upon encounter, one by one.

First VW, then Amy S came home from Starbucks and, if VW was already incapacitated, faced DW alone. (Even if not, the two women in the home with a child IMO were not going to put up much fight against the muscled, surely enraged monster intruder.)

AS called SS to come home, & evidence showed SS was attacked immediately upon coming through the door. He never had a chance to defend himself or try to coordinate any defense with the others. IMO good chance VF & AS were already bound upstairs, so any fight would be just ambushed, wounded SS in his home where his wife & child were already hostage.

With the three adults bound in one room upstairs & little PS being tortured in a nearby room :)mad::mad::mad:) , DW would be just about as much in control as if he had accomplices present. Of course the crime should’ve been easier to commit if he did have others, but of course DW was a despicable rage-filled beast with no friends & who no one could stand to be around - not his brothers he tried to frame for his horrific crimes, not his father who had him removed from their home by LE (and ultimately turned him in) etc.

These are the bases for why DW imo COULD have pulled it off alone.

As to why maybe he DID act alone - his BIL testified that after the crime had gone down, DW asked the BIL to come for a drive in DW’s van and then help burn it. The BIL refused, saying “that’s a layer too deep for me.” This last-minute failed attempt to pull his sister’s husband into his crimes IMO sounds like the work of someone with no conspirators or accomplices (or even trusted friends).

And then DW took off for NYC, updating his FB location as he did, where he & his GF spent piles of money stolen from the S family. Once again, not really the actions of someone who’s working with anyone else even to the point of getting a few words of advice….

At first it seemed impossible that one person could’ve done this alone … after the facts were out, IMO it seems like just into over the line into possible. Here’s why I think that:

Vile beast DW met each victim one by one, so every confrontation was just him vs a single person. He entered thru open garage door while Vera F took the trash to the curb - so when he went in, there was no one else in the house but little Phillip S (home from school w a concussion). Maybe little PS was up in his room & DW didn’t even know he was there, or maybe he was moving around & the first thing DW spotted upon trespassing was IMO the key to his ability to pull this off - the most valuable possible hostage imaginable, his victims’ child.

Regardless of the unknowns about PS, soon VF must’ve come inside. So then it was just her & DW. All the adult victims were found bound to chairs in an upstairs bedroom where IMO they may have been held for the duration. They were at least held there throughout being tortured in multiple ways & murdered. So IMO good chance DW might’ve forced them there immediately upon encounter, one by one.

First VW, then Amy S came home from Starbucks and, if VW was already incapacitated, faced DW alone. (Even if not, the two women in the home with a child IMO were not going to put up much fight against the muscled, surely enraged monster intruder.)

AS called SS to come home, & evidence showed SS was attacked immediately upon coming through the door. He never had a chance to defend himself or try to coordinate any defense with the others. IMO good chance VF & AS were already bound upstairs, so any fight would be just ambushed, wounded SS in his home where his wife & child were already hostage.

With the three adults bound in one room upstairs & little PS being tortured in a nearby room :)mad::mad::mad:) , DW would be just about as much in control as if he had accomplices present. Of course the crime should’ve been easier to commit if he did have others, but of course DW was a despicable rage-filled beast with no friends & who no one could stand to be around - not his brothers he tried to frame for his horrific crimes, not his father who had him removed from their home by LE (and ultimately turned him in) etc.

These are the bases for why DW imo COULD have pulled it off alone.

As to why maybe he DID act alone - his BIL testified that after the crime had gone down, DW asked the BIL to come for a drive in DW’s van and then help burn it. The BIL refused, saying “that’s a layer too deep for me.” This last-minute failed attempt to pull his sister’s husband into his crimes IMO sounds like the work of someone with no conspirators or accomplices (or even trusted friends).

And then DW took off for NYC, updating his FB location as he did, where he & his GF spent piles of money stolen from the S family. Once again, not really the actions of someone who’s working with anyone else even to the point of getting a few words of advice….
Your post is very convincing. o_O While it sounds like DW doesn’t stay with any cell mates long enough to build trust, after all this time it also seems he has never slipped to anyone about unknown details of crime that might provide a different scenario.

Thanks for your substantive post. :)

Thanks for the update on Wint. Can only hope that wherever he is is miserably uncomfortable & he spends every day regretting the actions that put him there
ITA with the above. According to this Wikipedia article, DW is currently at the maximum security federal penitentiary in Thomson, IL. United States Penitentiary, Thomson - Wikipedia

Thomson has been in the news recently due to inhumane conditions and prisoner deaths:

“a report published May 31 by The Marshall Project and NPR that describes correctional officers intentionally pairing inmates together who are known to attack each other; staff encouraging assaults against sex offenders and informants; abusive shackling that leaves scars known as the "Thomson tattoo," often in a room known as the "torture room," where men would lie shackled to a bed for hours in their own urine and feces without food or water; the highest rate of pepper-spray usage in the Bureau of Prisons (BOP)”

Sounds horrible and exactly what DW deserves—no he deserves much worse.

Please remove Post if not appropriate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back