DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chief Cathy Lanier of the Metropolitan Police told reporters at the midday news conference: “What we can tell you right now is that we do believe there is a connection between this suspect in this case through the business.

So, she is implying revenge or motive other than money??????

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/u...atedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

also

The deaths set in motion a police investigation that drew in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Secret Service

???

My goodness they should have had there alarm on 24/7! Crimes within a mile of the home:

It wont cut and paste:
Crimes within a mile of the house:

MANY:
http://www.trulia.com/homes/Distric...27053-3201-Woodland-Dr-NW-Washington-DC-20008

OMG! I did on my home and only ONE in the last year. :thud: I could not live in an area like that, and fortunately I'm able not to

From above post.... http://www.trulia.com/homes/Distric...27053-3201-Woodland-Dr-NW-Washington-DC-20008

Date Type Description
05/13/2015
Armed Robbery. Delayed PD o/s of a business robbed by 2BMs w/handgun, unk proceeds
05/08/2015
Assault On Police
05/06/2015
The Second District Police is investigating two (2) armed robberies that occurred on May 6, 2015. [...] The second robbery occu
05/03/2015
The Second District Police is investigating two (2) armed robberies that occurred on May 6, 2015. The first robbery was reporte
04/27/2015
Assault & Battery
04/22/2015
Grand Larceny
04/08/2015
Petit Larceny
04/06/2015
Armed Robbery. PD o/s with a person robbed at gunpoint. Black male suspect fled.
04/06/2015
Assalut
04/03/2015
Grand Larceny
04/02/2015
Larceny
04/02/2015
Resist Arrest By Fleeing
03/31/2015
Attempted Grand Larceny Auto
03/31/2015
Attempted Grand Larceny Auto
03/29/2015
Stolen Vehicles
03/27/2015
Grand Larceny
03/26/2015
Bomb Threat. Bomb threat received at George Washington University Hospital
03/26/2015
Petit Larceny
03/25/2015
Burglary
03/24/2015
An Adult Female Victim Reported That When An Adult Hispanic Male Assaulted Her With The Intent To Commit A Sexual Offense.
03/23/2015
Arrest: No Permit
03/23/2015
Arrest: Soliciting Prostitution
03/23/2015
Arrest: No Permit
03/20/2015
Arrest: Theft 2 (Theft F/Building)
03/20/2015
Arrest: Theft 2Nd Degree
03/20/2015
Arrest: First Degree Burglary (Armed Or Otherwise)
03/20/2015
Arrest: Parole Violation
03/20/2015
Arrest: Simple Assault
03/20/2015
Arrest: Robbery -- Force & Violence
03/19/2015
Arrest: Theft 2Nd Degree
03/19/2015
Theft 2Nd Degree
03/18/2015
Theft 2Nd Degree
03/18/2015
Theft Ii
03/18/2015
Arrest: Theft 2 (Theft F/Building)
03/18/2015
Arrest: Leaving After Colliding - Property Damage
03/18/2015
Arrest: Felony Assault
03/17/2015
Theft From Auto 2
03/17/2015
Theft 2 (Theft F/Building)
03/17/2015
Theft From Auto 2
03/17/2015
Arrest: Failure To Appear
03/17/2015
Arrest: Simple Assault
03/16/2015
Missing Person. U/D:W/ Pink Stripes Down The Pants & Shirt, Blk Tennis Shoes Blk Leather Coat & Blk Knit Hat 81 Y/o
03/16/2015
Missing Person. B/F 5 ft 125 lbs brown eyes, blk & gray braids. L/S wearing blk sweatshirt, blk sweatpants
03/16/2015
Fire, Mutual Aid
03/14/2015
Theft 2 (Theft F/Building)
03/14/2015
Theft 2Nd Degree
03/13/2015
Theft 2Nd Degree
03/13/2015
Theft 2Nd Degree
03/13/2015
Theft 2Nd Degree
03/13/2015

<modsnip>

Chief Cathy Lanier of the Metropolitan Police told reporters at the midday news conference: &#8220;What we can tell you right now is that we do believe there is a connection between this suspect in this case through the business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/u...RelatedCoverage®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article

also

The deaths set in motion a police investigation that drew in the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Secret Service

???

BBM. I took that as a reference to the fact that DW previously worked at AIW. The Secret Service involvement may have been due to the proximity to the Vice President's home.

Question and maybe this has already been answered, but:

If Wint is the individual fleeing from the burning Porsche in MD, then where is the $40K that he stole? I am not sure $40K in cash would fit into a bucket (The bank withdrawals were all cash, right (that was later coverted to MOs)? In what denominations?). So imo, he had to have accomplices that took $40K somewhere else. Or may be I am missing something, does anyone know how the $40K was moved after crimes or if Wint hall all the money in his possession after allegedly fleeing from burning Porsche in MD? Jmo+tia/

It's small.

SizeOfCash.JPG
http://www.pagetutor.com/trillion/calculations.html

HTH

sold in 2001 for $2.9 million; the family friend said it had been extensively renovated and was worth far more than that. And, the friend said, the couple owned other homes, including one on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

fair question:
In addition to striking a deep nerve in the most elite circles of Washington, the case has also raised soul-searching questions about why, when so many people die violently in impoverished parts of the city, these murders have attracted so much intense news coverage and discussion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/u...atedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

What was reported that at least 10k were recovered with Wint. However much "at least" is.

Thanks and yes, from a different article:
"Police found more than $10,000 in money orders in Wint's car and a stack of $100 bills and more money orders in the truck, the document said"
(http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/22/us-districtofcolumbia-murder-idUSKBN0O61IY20150522).

So all that is known about recovered amount: LE recovered more than $10,100+ and less than $39K. "Stack" of $100s makes me think that it could be one of those $10K bundles that Cariis posted image up-thread. Jmo/

I read on another forum that it was reported by one of the local DC reporters last week that the cash had been requested on Monday.

Guess that forum doesn't have mods and members who say "link please" :floorlaugh:

just had a crazy thought about the pizza order/delivery.....I wonder why order pizza, and take the risks involved with an outsider coming into the scene, (not literally into the scene in the house, but to the residence, even if outside, when such horror was taking place, or soon to take place)....if someone was hungry, or had a medical need to eat, surely there must have been food in the house ....my crazy thought was that maybe somehow that pizza order, that "contact" with the "outside", is somehow related???

And I still don't understand why they converted money into money orders.

In a way it makes sense, a money order would be like getting rid of $100 bills. And I hate to say it but it is a sad reality someone not in a coat and tie (etc) buying a Whopper with a hundred dollar bill is unique ......you know what I am saying..............

Someone had to leave at least SS while the money was retrieved form the unlocked car in the garage. If acting alone, would DW risk leaving someone alive and alone while he made sure the money was really there? Would he trust someone from within the family to go down there to get the money? If he had a helper or a ring leader would he trust them to go alone to retrieve the money?

I believe he had a helper who had stashed a get away vehicle. Or he and possibly another left in the Porsche. That car was MIA for 3.5 hours. So, he could have dropped someone off before torching the car.

Oh, they will be combing outdoor security cameras all over the place for sure. Like the Heather Elvis case and many others. :moo:

I do not have link, so take if for what it is worth, but was stated in MSM that they were found tied up to chairs in the bedroom. So they were restrained and culprit could move about. Makes sense he sequestered them on the upper floor as there was so much activity downstairs. :moo:

In the charging documents, we learned that VF was clinging to life when the DCFD made entry. She died or was pronounced dead at an area hospital. I'm wondering why she was the only one still breathing after the fire was set. We know that she too had injuries but we do not know if she succumbed to those injuries, burns from the fire or smoke inhalation. It makes me wonder how the the killer got possession of the car keys and if he forced what he viewed as the easier to control (physically) victim , VF, to help him locate those keys. He obviously kept some of them alive until SS's last known phone call, at 11:56, and VF
was still barely alive when the FD arrived. We also know that both AS and SS were DOA of the FD and they had died from their injuries and not from the fire or smoke inhalation. We know that the three adults were attacked and the the fire was set in PS's bedroom and that he died from thermal injuries. So, why kill him last and so brutally?

I think to the perp a 10 year old is less threatening - get rid of the most dangerous ones first - just a guess

In a way it makes sense, a money order would be like getting rid of $100 bills. And I hate to say it but it is a sad reality someone not in a coat and tie (etc) buying a Whopper with a hundred dollar bill is unique ......you know what I am saying..............

It would be more unique to try buying a Whopper with a money order.

Regarding the $40,000 withdrawal, all my opinion, etc.

The bank obviously wants to do business with people who have as much money as Mr. S.

For somebody who probably paid cash for all of those vehicles, I'm sure $40K wasn't that big of a deal for the bank manager to approve for immediate withdrawal. The amount of money going through Mr. S's hands via that bank on a regular basis would probably be akin to us withdrawing $500 here and there, but for him it was more like $10,000 here and there.

I know the currency transaction report would still apply, but it's just not that unusual for a wealthy person to need access to large amounts of liquid assets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_transaction_report

My boyfriend is a personal banker for BOA and I asked about the forms needed/opening early/etc. for affluent clients.

He said it's possible that a manager would stay late after the bank closed to assist a client but doesn't think they would ever open early for one. He also said the forms required for all transactions over $10K are unavoidable... there's no way around it because the computer system won't complete the transaction without the employee typing in the info from the form first. He said that applies to business accounts, as well.

He said the form isn't needed for a cashier's check though... no matter what the value is. he said the money could have been taken from a safety deposit box, but the person would need to be listed on the account to gain access and that BOA doesn't allow clients to keep cash in them (but he admitted that some people do--even right in front of him sometimes--but if the client puts their stuff in the deposit box in private, there's no way for the employees to know what they put in there). In other words, they 'advise' their clients not to put cash in there.

I just thought I'd throw that in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand SS was CEO of AIW. Is he also owner, part owner? Surely that company is publicly held/traded.

Nope, private iirc. Hasn't been posted here, but you can go to the Secretary of State site perhaps to see the corporate officers of each of his businesses.

No, it was found on the day of the house fire about 3.5 hours later.

Would it take 2-3 hours to drive from the Savopoulos home to the church (if leaving the home around 1pm on a weekday)?

Chief Cathy Lanier of the Metropolitan Police told reporters at the midday news conference: “What we can tell you right now is that we do believe there is a connection between this suspect in this case through the business.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/22/u...RelatedCoverage®ion=Marginalia&pgtype=article

also

???

"through the business"... I think there is going to be more to this than just DW acting out in revenge. Was he the dumb hit man for someone else?

BBM. I took that as a reference to the fact that DW previously worked at AIW. The Secret Service involvement may have been due to the proximity to the Vice President's home.

Not necessarily, the Secret Service is head of investigation of monetary frauds.

Financial Crimes, covering missions such as prevention and investigation of counterfeiting of U.S. currency and U.S. treasury securities, and investigation of major fraud.[3]
Protection, which entails ensuring the safety of current and former national leaders and their families, such as the President, past presidents, vice presidents, presidential candidates, visiting heads of state, and foreign embassies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secret_Service

The Secret Service has two primary missions, investigation of financial crimes and physical protection of designated protectees. Today the agency's primary investigative mission is to safeguard the payment and financial systems of the United States from such crimes as financial institution fraud, computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers and money laundering as it relates to the agency's core violations.

ETA: I'm just adding another scenario for that "might have been" to add to above post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en