Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
POSSIBLY SOLVED???? Saw the info about the Boy in the box news and went down the rabbit hole into this unidentified case. Found this on FindAGrave, can't seem to find anything else anywhere else. A Greek half brother believes thru DNA this is his sister?

Identity unknown; found deceased along Porter Road in Bear, DE. Believed to be between the ages of 16 - 25 years.

The Back Story is several Greeks have been assisting a male in Greece in his search for his half sister. While we were searching, the Greek male brother uploaded his DNA to GEDmatch and he has a match to a female who had high cMs indicating it was a sister; her DNA was uploaded by a female from the Channel Islands which completely stunned us. While this was happening, we learned that the female DNA on GEDmatch was a DNA match to a female left on a road in Bear Delaware, possibly due to a "criminal abortion." The brother in Greece does not speak English but a female Greek friend (living in Greece) contacted the Delaware Forensics Division. Many months ago, the Greek Police obtained the brother's DNA and submitted the DNA to the Delaware Forensics Division. We are waiting on the Coroner to submit his report, even though he told the Greek Brother that he, in fact, is a DNA match to Patrona (Patra) Patmios, the deceased female found in Bear, Delaware, on 18 March 1967. 1 December 2022
Yes, this is accurate. I emailed Hal Brown about this Find A Grave listing back in October and he confirmed the match was made a year ago, just waiting for formalities from the Delaware medical examiner.

She was not reported missing and did not live in Delaware.

Yes, this is accurate. I emailed Hal Brown about this Find A Grave listing back in October and he confirmed the match was made a year ago, just waiting for formalities from the Delaware medical examiner.

Incredible!!! I hope this is confirmed by LE soon.

Yay! Thank you for the update!

My grandmother was christened Horsek and my great grandmother was named Gulbahar. My great grandmother went by Gulbahar, Mary, Maria, Mariam (She never officially changed her name because she could not write her name. She was illiterate. I kinda think it may have been a "immigration thing" and not wanting to get caught being smuggled in. My grandmother changed her name several times to include Hrispime and Helen.

Last edited:

WOW!!!!! This has been one of my pet cases for years and years. What exciting news!

Graphic but interesting article. Chemical abortions were done at home with an "enema kit" and soap water and often led to septicemia.

In 1967 I believe abortions were illegal even in hospital settings. I dont know if Patra was ever reported missing.
But even if she was (i guess her adoptive parents still struggled with the language and buerocracy of the US), she was an adult, albeit not 21, but i guess LE did not do much. Or her parents assumed she started an own life with her boyfriend and cut contact. Maybe they did not approve of him for whatever reason.

<modsnip: no source link> I hope it will be made public. Does it have to be made public if it is not a homicide?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if the family gives the go ahead then they can release it? It seems like Patra's family wants it to be publicly released, so I don't know why there's a hold up.

I also don't think it has to be made public with homicide. Again someone please correct me if I am wrong. I'm thinking of Does like Harper Doe who were murdered and identified, but whose true names are still private. jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful to hear she finally has a name! At the same time I'm so very sorry for her (half) brother this being the outcome of his search.

I think Nick W. <the one who made the find a grave tribute> is legit. Not the kind of person to go public with information like this if it wasn't true.

I hope LE is going to make an announcement soon. I would love to hear more about the background story and see her picture.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if the family gives the go ahead then they can release it? It seems like Patra's family wants it to be publicly released, so I don't know why there's a hold up.

I also don't think it has to be made public with homicide. Again someone please correct me if I am wrong. I'm thinking of Does like Harper Doe who were murdered and identified, but whose true names are still private. jmo

I believe the formal identification is taking so long because authorities are working with limited DNA and the closest living relative is a -half- sibling in another country. The source of Jane Doe’s DNA is dried blood in an old tube. It was badly degraded. Her body can not be located for new testing, she is buried in a potter’s field without a headstone or burial record (lost in a fire decades ago).

Wonderful to hear she finally has a name! At the same time I'm so very sorry for her (half) brother this being the outcome of his search.

I think Nick W. <the one who made the find a grave tribute> is legit. Not the kind of person to go public with information like this if it wasn't true.

I hope LE is going to make an announcement soon. I would love to hear more about the background story and see her picture.
The author of the find a grave tribute is the professional genealogist assisting the half brother in finding his lost sister Patra.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back