GUILTY DE - Evan Dudley, 21 mos, beaten to death, Dover, 3 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A media posting! Yay!
Brief, but it's something at least.

Former Airman on Trial in Death of Toddler

A former airman stationed at Dover Air Force Base is on trial on a murder charge in the 2012 death of a 21-month-old boy who was left in his care.

The trial of Justin Corbett was scheduled to begin Tuesday with jury selection.

http://www.wboc.com/story/32422012/former-airman-on-trial-in-death-of-toddler

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm mad this hasn't gotten more coverage. Many military parents are faced with difficult choices when they have to deploy and leave their children behind. Evan and his mom deserve for their story to be told. I don't understand the near media black out this case has always had.

It was similar in Juliette Geurts' case, had to fight for coverage there too. I don't understand. I'd think the soldier aspect would draw attention.

Delaware online is the first media outlet that covered Evan back in 2013. I'm glad to see they are again.

Former Dover airman on trial in death of toddler

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...er-dover-airman-trial-death-toddler/86981302/

Former airman accused of murdering one-year-old boy while his Air Force mother was deployed in Qatar but he claims the child fell down some stairs

-----------------

However, in the afternoon of November 3, 2012, Corbett, who was assigned to Dover Air Force Base, called 911 from his base housing home and told dispatchers the boy had fallen down a flight of carpeted stairs and was unresponsive.

Evan was initially rushed to Kent General Hospital where he was assessed and then transferred to Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in critical condition with head injuries and multiple bruises on his body, authorities said.

He died four days later due to the injuries, which included a detached retina, excessive swelling and bleeding in his brain and numerous bruises on his head.

His mom, who had flown back from Qatar, was by his side in his hospital bed when the life support was switched off.

The state Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide by blunt force trauma.

----------------

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3685919/In-Delaware-former-airman-trial-death-toddler.html

Sorry for the late notice, but if anyone is interested, little Evan's case is going to be one of the cases featured on Nancy Grace tonight (Wednesday).

Segment on Nancy was accurate, Jean had a reporter on the phone and Nikki on via Skype or something as well. Any inaccuracies in the intro were corrected in Nikki's interview.

Only one segment but more than he's gotten before. No complaints here.

Finally - time for Justice for Evan. Moving to Trials section.

In their opening statements to the jury, state prosecutors say it was at the hands of Justin Corbett that toddler Evan Dudley lost his life back on the afternoon of November 3rd, 2012.

------------------------

Prosecutors said Evan eventually suffered a detached retina, bleeding inside of his skull and a number of bruises. Authorities say those injuries led to his death.

When the defense addressed the jury, they said that Dudley had fallen down a flight of stairs and that it was an accident. As the trial began, the prosecution called six people to the stand, including Evan's mother, Nicole. All six either supervised or cared for Evan leading up to his death and all six said he was in perfect health before he was given to Corbett. On Tuesday, the prosecution is set to call nine more witnesses.

A court clerk tells 47 ABC that the trial is scheduled for two weeks. However, it's possible it wraps up before then.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/opening-stat...r-airman-charged-in-death-of-toddler/40475678

A day after opening statements, the prosecution called seven witnesses to the stand.

Tuesday began with Corbett's wife, Aubrey, being called by state prosecutors. They questioned her about the day in 2012, when they allege that Justin physically abused and seriously injured 21-month-old Evan Dudley. Aubrey said that prior to Evan falling down stairs, which is how the defense says he sustained the injuries that led to his death, no more than a few "little-boy bruises" were present on his body. That day, she said she was out with friends and not present during the alleged incident.

Following Aubrey Corbett's testimony, four Dover Air Force Base first responders, who responded to the 911 call ,were questioned about how they went about trying to save Evan. This after the defense suggested in their opening statements that Dudley sustained some of the bruising from revival efforts. One of the responders said they were gentle with Evan and another said they noticed bruising already present on Evan's forehead when they arrived.

Also on the stand, a Delaware State Trooper who recalled that on the night he arrived on scene, he heard Justin Corbett tell a first responder that Evan Dudley fell "backwards" down the stars. Something that was not brought up in court until Tuesday.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/opening-stat...r-airman-charged-in-death-of-toddler/40475678

I can't imagine having to testify "against" my own husband in a case like this. Knowing my testimony might make my children fatherless. Wow. As far as I know they remain together but maybe that has changed. Would be very hard to do though.

UPDATE: Graphic details emerge in Corbett trial

-------------------------

Among the the witnesses the prosecution called to stand Wednesday, doctors who helped care for Dudley. They shed light on the wounds that apparently led to his death. Among them, severe bleeding between the brain and skull, a lung contusion and injuries to his organs. One of the doctors, who saw Evan at A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital, said that Evan was deemed braindead. She also suggested that through her examination that it was a result of child abuse. The defense was quick to respond, asking her how she can be sure if she wasn't at the scene that night. The doctor said even though she wasn't at the scene, a team of hospital personnel referred to as a 'care team', supported the claim that the injuries were not typical of a fall down eight carpeted steps.

A main point from day two resurfaced when the lead investigator was called to the stand. The Delaware State Police detective handling the case said when interviewing the first responders, no one brought up the suggestion made by Corbett that Dudley had fallen backwards down the stairs.

The defense also brought up the investigation of the case. The lead investigator was questioned as to why it was pursed as a child abuse case to begin with. The investigator said that was due to the suggestion made by the doctor at A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital.

UPDATE: Graphic details emerge in Corbett trial

-------------------------

Among the the witnesses the prosecution called to stand Wednesday, doctors who helped care for Dudley. They shed light on the wounds that apparently led to his death. Among them, severe bleeding between the brain and skull, a lung contusion and injuries to his organs. One of the doctors, who saw Evan at A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital, said that Evan was deemed braindead. She also suggested that through her examination that it was a result of child abuse. The defense was quick to respond, asking her how she can be sure if she wasn't at the scene that night. The doctor said even though she wasn't at the scene, a team of hospital personnel referred to as a 'care team', supported the claim that the injuries were not typical of a fall down eight carpeted steps.

A main point from day two resurfaced when the lead investigator was called to the stand. The Delaware State Police detective handling the case said when interviewing the first responders, no one brought up the suggestion made by Corbett that Dudley had fallen backwards down the stairs.

The defense also brought up the investigation of the case. The lead investigator was questioned as to why it was pursed as a child abuse case to begin with. The investigator said that was due to the suggestion made by the doctor at A.I. DuPont Children's Hospital.

I feel like I could throw up reading this. I can't imagine how Evan's mom must feel. If Justin didn't witness the "accident" how does he know which way the little boy fell? If he didn't witness the "accident" how does he know his toddler son pushed Evan down the stairs? These lies he tells make me feel sick.

When did he blame his son?! Refresh my memory on that.

He has blamed it on his toddler son from day one. What a horrible thing to pin on your own little child.

http://delawarestatenews.net/news/corbetts-wife-testifies-says-she-believes-husband/

Edited to add, this really bothers me. Hitting such small children with objects seems dangerous.

"Probed further, Mrs. Corbett described other forms of discipline as using a wooden spoon, flip flop, and flyswatter to “pop” their children .

“Yes, he’s their father,” Mrs. Corbett responded when asked if her husband administered the punishments described to his kids."

UPDATE: Two more witnesses testify in former airman trial

The first witness, a forensic pathologist from New York, says he believes Dudley's death was caused by a "closed head injury".

During the testimony, more details of injuries allegedly sustained by Dudley emerged. This included nine bruises near the toddler's face and head, seven intrusions of the deep scalp, and significant brain swelling.

These injuries, according to the expert, could not be explained by falling down a staircase.

Court is expected to reconvene July 25 at 9 a.m. with the final witness.

http://m.wmdt.com/news/UPDATE-Two-m...r-airman-trial/40822542#.V5FoYDjp3Fk.facebook

Opening arguments made in Corbett trial

During opening remarks, the defense replayed a more than seven-minute 911 call Mr. Corbett made at 3:51 p.m. after the child was injured on Nov. 3, 2012, when the airman described the infant as “dead to the world, he is just laying here.”

A dispatcher was heard instructing Mr. Corbett on how to perform life-saving measures including a series of chest compressions and told him he did a “good job” as paramedics arrived.

During the call, Mr. Corbett described the child’s lips as turning light blue and with blood in his mouth, the infant gasping for air every 40 seconds with his eyes open.

At times, Mr. Corbett was heard pleading “come on Evan, come on buddy.”

The state indicated that Mr. Corbett did not seem frantic when the paramedics arrived, which the defense attributed to his military deployment and combat experience where he’s seen death and is trained to keep a calm demeanor in the midst of an extremely stressful situation.

Emergency responders will later testify about the 40 minutes spent attempting to revive the child through CPR to restore breathing and a heartbeat, according to Ms. Manning.

The mother testifies

Dressed in Air Force fatigues, the child’s mother Nicole Dudley, 30, testified to her strong relationship with Mr. Corbett’s wife, who shared the experience of being pregnant at the same time, hosted her baby shower and attended church with her.

She remembered sitting with her parents when told that her son was brain dead and she removed him from life support machines herself.

During the ordeal, Ms. Dudley testified that she had a short conversation with Ms. Corbett, who she described as “frantic and kept saying she was sorry.”

As the 911 call was played, Ms. Dudley closed her eyes and dropped her head into her hands. She remained composed during testimony, and cried upon returning to her front row seat in the audience gallery.

http://delawarestatenews.net/news/opening-arguments-made-corbett-trial/

Wow that's a lot more detail.
So she believes he's innocent....
If he's convicted she will be devastated.

If he's acquitted Evan's family will be devastated.
Either way Evan is still gone.
No win situation. So sad.
I just hope justice is served and all kids are safe.

Wow that's a lot more detail.
So she believes he's innocent....
If he's convicted she will be devastated.

If he's acquitted Evan's family will be devastated.
Either way Evan is still gone.
No win situation. So sad.
I just hope justice is served and all kids are safe.

Yes, she's always believed her husband. To the point when he was court ordered to stay away from his children, she disobeyed the order and had him in the house anyway. There's no way Evan's injuries were caused by falling down eight carpeted stairs.

Justin Corbett was diagnosed with and was being treated for anxiety, depression, ADD and PTSD at the time he and his wife agreed to take in Evan while his mother was deployed. He was taking Ambien, Zoloft and Adderall. I think it's extremely irresponsible on both of their parts for not disclosing this to Evan's mom or declining to take responsibility for Evan. A person actively suffering from those sorts of mental health issues should not be entrusted with someone else's small child. Toddlers can be frustrating for people in the best mind frame. I would imagine if Evan's mom had known Justin Corbett's mental health issues, she wouldn't have left her baby with him. Although I feel for Justin Corbett's wife and children, I think a wrongful death civil suit should be brought against Justin and his wife.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story...ans-bail-reduced-in-baby-murder-case/6688725/

I did know that she allowed him to see the kids. I posted about that at the time. Just hadn't seen confirmation recently that she was 100% behind him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back